Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,557 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? (9914 Views)

Nysc Presidential Award / Fixed Date For 2015 NYSC Presidential Honour Award / 2014 NYSC Presidential Honours Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by SOHKAHTOA: 11:46am On Mar 13, 2013
Few years after the 1973 inauguration of the National Youth Service Corps ( NYSC), as one of the post civil war strategies to achieve national reconciliation, reintegration and development through the activities of corps members who are posted to regions of the country other than theirs, the federal government introduced the yearly presidential merit award to some deserving corps members who have distinguished themselves in service to their father land. This wonderful gesture by the presidency over the years has added to the spark and vigor at which corps members had thrived to outsmart and out do one another in service rendering and the carrying out of different developmental projects which have direct bearing and impacts on communities especially those in the rural areas. This has been a yearly event and has never been interrupted since it's inception except for the time of political instability as suffered during the IBB's regime following the annulment of June 12 presidential election, when the exercise was suspended for some years.
Upon the assumption of office by the present government, some loudable amendments were made to the scheme( NYSC) and more incentives were added to include a federal scholarship of post graduate studies up to PHD level as well as automatic employment and some monetary reward. This was seen as a great move towards youth empowerment and a step in the right direction towards instilling hard work in Nigerian youths and also a strategy to give credence to the NYSC scheme, but this euphoria is being short lived as the nominees for 2011/2012 batch is neither shortlisted nor awarded anything and no reason has been given for this.
I learnt this event which is conducted by the president of the federal republic Nigeria was supposed to hold at most December, 2012 which signals the end of a NYSC service year, which is usually batch C of a previous year and batches A and B of the current year. Presently another service year is counting as batch A of 2012 has already passed out.

This topic is worth discussing and if possible let the concerned authority know that issues like this that affect the behavior and attitude of Nigerian youths shouldn't be joked with because of the multiplier effects( positive or negative alike) it could have on the country. The National Youth Service Corps( NYSC) has over the years play a very significant role in national development especially in the rural communities where basic infrastructures are lacking.

These youths who work with the aim that their country may recognize them by awards or recommendation should not be let down by the lackadaisical attitude of some of our leaders. If anybody has any contribution as regards this topic, it is worth it.

GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by Elueme: 11:55am On Mar 13, 2013
This may be an exposition but is it not too early to shout? Well, considering the nature of our people, I think a reason should be given for the delay or if at all it's not going to hold as before the people deserve the right to know. This falls under the ministry of youth and NYSC itself. Hope they sought thing out quickly.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by SOHKAHTOA: 12:08pm On Mar 13, 2013
Elueme: This may be an exposition but is it not too early to shout? Well, considering the nature of our people, I think a reason should be given for the delay or if at all it's not going to hold as before the people deserve the right to know. This falls under the ministry of youth and NYSC itself. Hope they sought thing out quickly.
You may think it is but this could enter a voice mail if those affected chose to be quiet over it. Nigeria can be very funny and complex. I have had encountered with two(2) of the people who said they were among the best two(2) in their batch so by extension their names will make it to the national for the presidential merit award committee for consideration but for over a year now no news from any quarter. I asked if they have heard that anybody within this same year was called for such an award, they seem not to be aware. Their inquiries to the various state secretariats suggest that nothing has been done in that direction and one of them said she was told that the new minister of youth is the main obstacle. The most annoying of it is that one of them is still unemployed, despite his achievement in his state of primary assignment , the state coud not give him an employment.. Too bad
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by geelink1(m): 10:49pm On Apr 26, 2013
how can one even get to know who is truely responsible for this.
even the NYSC D.G. that i think should take the matter up is silent about it.
its really painful after many effort and sacrifies by copa's no one is saying any thing
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by geelink1(m): 10:57pm On Apr 26, 2013
please any one that has a contact one can call either from NYSC Headquaters or the federal ministry of youth & sport. abi NUC, they are also major player in d last award with the minister of education.
abi the award is now fruad or coruption has taken it over.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by segunebi: 1:02pm On Apr 28, 2013
We don forget am ooo, i m one of d nominees.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by nnamdie: 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2013
i am one of the nominees that won the award and nothing is happening.please ask the government why?
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by DrNnamdiA: 7:39pm On Jun 20, 2013
i am a winner of the nysc national award and i have been calling nysc natuional and they are telling me that it is not in their hands.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by segunebi: 2:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
guyz do u tink somebody who jst trained 29Blind children, 71deaf students , 91widows, 44handicapped... a total of 979people were trained on how to make soap
can win dis award.. pls wat do u tink
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by simplemach(m): 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2013
'Security fears'
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by otijah(m): 1:42pm On Jul 05, 2013
segunebi: guyz do u tink somebody who jst trained 29Blind children, 71deaf students , 91widows, 44handicapped... a total of 979people were trained on how to make soap
can win dis award.. pls wat do u tink
u ar one of 29 blind students, one of the 71 deaf students, one of the 91 widows(if u ar woman) and a member of 44 handicapped, cause na u train dem all.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by moscobabs(m): 1:43pm On Jul 05, 2013
Corruption has taking it.o ya blame GEJ...as usual!!!!!!
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by Temptee101(m): 1:48pm On Jul 05, 2013
FG is broke, we are about to borrow $3 billion from China and you are here talking about NYSC- president Jonathan
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by Goddex: 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
But my friend told me last month that his wife benefited from the GoodLuck Jonathan scholarship award during her NYSC and is now doing a post graduate programme in UK. So which award is that one? Let me call him first for clarification, I'll be back.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by taharqa2: 3:30pm On Jul 05, 2013
Temptee101: FG is broke, we are about to borrow $3 billion from China and you are here talking about NYSC- president Jonathan
Ignoramus, d fact that a nation, or even business, borrow does not mean it is Broke. Borrowing is just one of d many means of raising funds by Smart nations/businesses, as long as it is done in an economicali substainable way (deploring such funds to critical future Capital yielding ventures, getting the funds at relatively cheap interest rates and longa Repayment span, etc)... Aftall, 2 of the most loan/debt-collecting nations on earth are also d 2 largest Economies and those with d largest Foreign Reserves in d world ie USA and China. Are they also broke??... Moreova, this so-calld $3billion Chinese soft loans is part of those already approved by d National Assembly since Mid-last year in d Mid Term Strategy Paper. Was Nigeria broke then?
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by taharqa2: 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2013
@Beneficiaries, ask/demand for yr awards. It is yr right...@OP, thnks
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by ugoezeik(m): 5:28pm On Jul 05, 2013
maybe its jonah dat caused it
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by Anyi3(m): 6:31pm On Jul 05, 2013
no fear I'm winning it for my family and for platoon 6 Lagos corps members for batch A
Platoon 6 is good to go!
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by wisy4jesus(m): 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]UNITED BANK OF AFRICA RECRUITMENT: pls since i submited my cv to UBA i hv nt recieve any text 4rm them. can sum 1 update me on wht is going on there?
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by nneoyikowo: 11:18am On Dec 03, 2014
I have been invited for the nysc national award on the 11/12/14, is it for real. I need urgent response pls.thanks
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by samuelkaykay(m): 9:15am On Dec 04, 2014
nneoyikowo:
I have been invited for the nysc national award on the 11/12/14, is it for real. I need urgent response pls.thanks
yea,i am a witness.drop ur contact ,lets talk.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by Blizeny: 2:11pm On Dec 04, 2014
@nneoyikowo. It's real! Congrats dear. The sky is your starting point
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by HighlanderMedia: 2:17pm On Dec 04, 2014
Congratulations dearie
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by cuzor: 3:05pm On Dec 04, 2014
Congrats my dear its the Lord's doing. Nne pls what medium where you communicated tru and what NYSC batch are you so I can know if ma peeps stil have some hopes of being invited.thanks.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by cuzor: 3:09pm On Dec 04, 2014
Pls where can the presidential awardee list be seen. Pls someone should help.thanks
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by samuelkaykay(m): 9:05pm On Dec 04, 2014
cuzor:
Pls where can the presidential awardee list be seen. Pls someone should help.thanks
no published list,contact was individual.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by westpawz(f): 9:50pm On Dec 04, 2014
Hello guys,i am a batch c benue state honours awardee bt hvnt recvd ny invite.To doz recvin invite where u d best corper for ur batch or a state honour awardee.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by HighlanderMedia: 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2014
Majority of the invitees are 2011 batch A,B and C. I was the best corps member in 2013 Batch B , Ogun state and they came to inspect my project from Abuja. d guy that was picked from Ogun NYSC served in 2011 Batch A.

Let's be hopeful sha.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by shorxynla(m): 1:18pm On Dec 07, 2014
HighlanderMedia:
Majority of the invitees are 2011 batch A,B and C. I was the best corps member in 2013 Batch B , Ogun state and they came to inspect my project from Abuja. d guy that was picked from Ogun NYSC served in 2011 Batch A.

Let's be hopeful sha.

Please if I may ask. What type of project do you execute to make you the best. Am also an aspiring best corps member.
Re: What Happened To The Yearly Nysc-Presidential Merit Award? by shorxynla(m): 1:20pm On Dec 07, 2014
westpawz:
Hello guys,i am a batch c benue state honours awardee bt hvnt recvd ny invite.To doz recvin invite where u d best corper for ur batch or a state honour awardee.

Please project do you execute. Am a serving corps member and I want to win the state award.

(1) (Reply)

Nassarawa State B14 Let's Meet Here / p / Kwara State Batch B'14 Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.