Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,109 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 (5309 Views)

Barcelona Vs AC Milan : UCL (4 - 0) On 12th March 2013 / Manchester United Vs Real Madrid - UCL (1 - 2) On 5th March 2013 / Real Madrid Vs Barcelona - El Clasico (2 - 1) On 2nd March 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by mukina2: 11:59pm On Mar 15, 2013
Brian McDermott's name was added to an illustrious list this week. Joining the likes of Jose Mourinho, Roy Hodgson, Sam Allardyce and Mark Hughes, he became the latest Premier League manager to be sacked prior to a game against Manchester United. And if history is anything to go by, rudderless Reading should be a touch apprehensive ahead of their visit to Old Trafford this weekend.

Results have not been kind to clubs who have dispensed with bosses prior to a fixture with the Red Devils: on the last six occasions it has happened, Sir Alex Ferguson's side have notched up six wins, scoring 17 goals and conceding just two. Trying to break that hoodoo – and succeed where the likes of Avram Grant, Nigel Pearson and Ricky Sbragia have failed – is Reading's academy chief, Eamonn Dolan. The odds are certainly stacked against the Irishman, whose playing career was cut short when he developed testicular cancer at the age of 26, but despite his last managerial position coming in the Conference at Exeter, Dolan is determined to make his mark at Old Trafford.

"You can quit, you can lie down, or you can get up and do something positive to make a statement," the Royals' caretaker boss said ahead of the game. "And the most positive statement we can make is by getting a result at Old Trafford on Saturday. The sun is shining and I'm passionate about football. I'm passionate on the touchline because it's football. I've got over cancer – that's the real thing which is great. There is a perspective, but the main perspective is getting that result on Saturday."

With an away day at Emirates Stadium following this Saturday's trip north to United, Reading are in real danger of being cut adrift at the bottom of the table. Although many have questioned the timing of McDermott's sacking, the facts show that Reading have fewer points at this stage of the season (23) than in either of their two Premier League campaigns, while their current run of four defeats in a row is the worst of any team in the division at present.

However, pulling the managerial trigger in March has previously proved futile for Premier League clubs struggling in the relegation zone. Sheffield Wednesday sacked Danny Wilson in March of 2000, Sunderland have wielded the axe twice in the month – with Howard Wilkinson in 2003 and Mick McCarthy in 2006 – and Hull City were the last to do it in 2010 when Phil Brown was sent packing. The common denominator between the four clubs: all were relegated anyway. Now Reading must beware the Ides of March, or risk becoming the fifth club to be condemned to the same fate.

While there is never really a good time to play Manchester United, the Premier League leaders looked jaded against Chelsea, seemingly still suffering from a physical and emotional hangover from their Champions League exit at the hands of Real Madrid. Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez both marked their returns to the starting line-up with a goal, but United tired badly in the second half and were lucky in the end to escape from the FA Cup quarter-final with a replay. Ferguson may be tempted to shake things up, with Michael Carrick particularly deserving of a rest after playing a number of draining games in succession of late. Anderson and Antonio Valencia both featured against Reading when the sides did battle in the cup last month and may be hopeful of involvement again from the start, though second-guessing Ferguson's line up has become a near impossible task for even the most sage of soothsayers.

A repeat of the seven-goal thriller that Ferguson's men won at the Madejski Stadium in December would be a welcome spectacle for the neutral but with United unbeaten in the Premier League since November and having not conceded a league goal in their past four matches, Dolan's debut will be judged a success simply if Reading avoid humiliation in Manchester.

Manchester United player to watch: Danny Welbeck
. With Sir Alex Ferguson likely to throw caution to the wind against struggling Reading, Welbeck may be called upon to form a three-pronged frontline with Rooney and Van Persie. The England forward put in a pair of superb displays against Real Madrid and, while his role then was to keep Xabi Alonso quiet, the Royals' visit could see his pace and direct running unleashed as he desperately tries to add to a disappointing goal tally.

Reading player to watch: Jobi McAnuff
. Perhaps not the most consistent player in blue and white this season, McAnuff has nonetheless proved a valuable creative weapon for Reading at times and has offered five assists so far 2012-13. The former West Ham midfielder is the Royals' captain and has a tendency to raise his game when the big teams roll into town, demonstrating as much when scoring against United in the FA Cup last month to set up a nervy finale at Old Trafford.

Key Battle: Robin Van Persie v Adrian Mariappa. The phrase 'goal drought' has been utterly incompatible with Robin van Persie over the past few seasons, but the Dutchman's failure to score in his last six games means he is currently enduring his leanest spell since December 2010. Van Persie's last strike came against Everton at the beginning of February and he will be champing at the bit to get back on the scoresheet, particularly after his failure to find a way through in two Champions League legs against Real Madrid. Jamaica international Adrian Mariappa will be the man tasked with shackling United's No. 20 - the centre-back has been one of the few Royals players to show he's not out of his depth in the Premier League this season, but he will be in for a busy evening.

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/345840/preview.html?soccernet=true&cc=3888
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by WizPrince1(m): 1:14am On Mar 16, 2013
I would have love to watch the match but i don't know if "MY OGA AT THE TOP" would watch another Match. Daz All! grin

#TrendingFun
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by SailorXY: 11:50am On Mar 16, 2013
3 more victories and united are 96% certain of the league
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by lekzy7(m): 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2013
man u must loose
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by Kenistry(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2013
Anoda 3pts in d bag..
Glory Glory Mancherster United!
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by bashydemy(m): 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2013
lekzy7: man u must loose
Wake up abeg you don almost eat your pillow finish

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 2:28pm On Mar 16, 2013
The last time Reading beat Utd in a competitive game was January 1927. Reading have conceded 56 goals in the League so far this season. On paper, should be an easy win for Utd but with nine games to go, I'd take a 2-0 scrappy win today
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 2:34pm On Mar 16, 2013

Longest current home winning streak in top leagues:
1) Manchester United - 11 Games
2) Barcelona - 9 Games
3) Montpellier - 8 Games
4) Milan - 7 Games

2 Likes

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2013
SailorXY: 3 more victories and united are 96% certain of the league

And the Queen will rejoice. Useless champion of England favored by referees and always granted favorable match fixtures. ManU always plays last after knowing the results of rivals and then decide how to handle referee. Outside England, they lack such influence on referees and are beaten most times.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by dopeJemi: 3:01pm On Mar 16, 2013
lekzy7: man u must loose

grin grin grin

Unbeaten since november.. Duh! undecided
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
karpentar:

And the Queen will rejoice. Useless champion of England favored by referees and always granted favorable match fixtures. ManU always plays last after knowing the results of rivals and then decide how to handle referee. Outside England, they lack such influence on referees and are beaten most times.
And who is this punk ??m

4 Likes

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by dopeJemi: 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2013
karpentar:

Abeg shut up and stop fooLing urseLf here.. D tabLe of clubs dat av been favoured by referees is out and man utd is 9th on d List.. Na onLy man u own una dey see

2 Likes

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 3:24pm On Mar 16, 2013
JayKayMaybachz:
And who is this punk ??m

I am Howard Webb.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 3:28pm On Mar 16, 2013
dopeJemi:

Abeg shut up and stop fooLing urseLf here.. D tabLe of clubs dat av been favoured by referees is out and man utd is 9th on d List.. Na onLy man u own una dey see

You're the one being fooled. ManU favoritisms are during critical matches, especially when they're facing main rivals. That list you mentioned is designed to fool people like you.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by BodyKiss(m): 3:40pm On Mar 16, 2013
JayKayMaybachz:
And who is this punk ??m

He's a nobody, with no football brain. Just another kid with internet access.

4 Likes

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by BodyKiss(m): 3:44pm On Mar 16, 2013
Our noisy neighbor just got smacked 2 - 0 by Everton. I smell 15 point clear. Hahahahahaha
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 3:45pm On Mar 16, 2013

EPL FT : Everton 2 - 0 City , osman and Jelavic scored 2 beautiful
goals. It's an important result for us as if we'll win today
against Reading at OT , we'll be 15 points clear ... but
winning today against Reading , won't be easy , as they're
fighting for not being relegated and for them now , every
single game is like a final to play. Two times in this season so far we've played against them , 2 wins , but 2 hard games ...
so , let's not underestimate Reading ... c'mon Utd ! Let's
get the 3 points !
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 3:47pm On Mar 16, 2013
BodyKiss:

I thought as much ! Assclown he is
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 3:50pm On Mar 16, 2013
Final - Everton 2-0 Manchester City
Leon Osman (32')
Nikica Jelavic
(90') hit like if you are happyyyy

5 Likes

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 3:54pm On Mar 16, 2013
BodyKiss:

You're flabby skinned old fool with grey hairs oozing out of your dirty nostrils.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 4:00pm On Mar 16, 2013
JayKayMaybachz:
I thought as much ! Assclown he is

You thought what? Biased brain with no sense of reasonability. Can you see beyond your flattened nose? Local champions humiliated yearly by spanish clubs, including fifth placed teams. Next year would still be the same.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by aieromon(m): 4:13pm On Mar 16, 2013
Citeh seems to have handed over the title. Let's nail it in.

BRB.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by SailorXY: 4:23pm On Mar 16, 2013
karpentar:

You're the one being fooled. ManU favoritisms are during critical matches, especially when they're facing main rivals. That list you mentioned is designed to fool people like you.
& why not upload your own factual list of "critical matches" against "main rivals", as well as that of other teams against their "main rivals" too so that you can be taken more seriously instead of bleating
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by dopeJemi: 4:29pm On Mar 16, 2013
karpentar:

You thought what? Biased brain with no sense of reasonability. Can you see beyond your flattened nose? Local champions humiliated yearly by spanish clubs, including fifth placed teams. Next year would still be the same.

Which club do u support
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 4:35pm On Mar 16, 2013
dopeJemi:

Which club do u support

I don't need to support any team. If you can dispute my analogy, go for it.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 4:38pm On Mar 16, 2013
SailorXY: & why not upload your own factual list of "critical matches" against "main rivals", as well as that of other teams against their "main rivals" too so that you can be taken more seriously instead of bleating

There are better things in life than doing as you suggested. I am sure you won't remember manu against chelsea in London? Best day in your biased life, right?
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by dopeJemi: 4:41pm On Mar 16, 2013
karpentar:

I don't need to support any team. If you can dispute my analogy, go for it.

Okay! Buh u shud know dat we r not d referees, we r not d ones dat handLe d whistLe.. When d ref gave Nani a Red card against Madrid, did u say Madrid r cheats? And note, its not d first time decisions av gone deir way buh nobody calLs dem cheats, when dey pLayed barca at home,d ref favoured dem buh nobody said a word abt it buh when its man utd.. Its cheating

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by BodyKiss(m): 4:42pm On Mar 16, 2013
dopeJemi:

Which club do u support

Which ever club his uncle supports, he's hatting on United because his uncle does.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 16, 2013
karpentar:

one word for u, you are a prick.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 5:14pm On Mar 16, 2013
Nashoji: one word for u, you are a prick.

Fools choose insults when they loose arguement.
Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by karpentar: 5:34pm On Mar 16, 2013
dopeJemi:

Okay! Buh u shud know dat we r not d referees, we r not d ones dat handLe d whistLe.. When d ref gave Nani a Red card against Madrid, did u say Madrid r cheats? And note, its not d first time decisions av gone deir way buh nobody calLs dem cheats, when dey pLayed barca at home,d ref favoured dem buh nobody said a word abt it buh when its man utd.. Its cheating

Why would a player not be punished if he chose to play karate instead of football? Madrid outplayed Barca on that particular match and won. Manu is favored in English league. There's no neutral observer who doesn't know that. It is seen as an England national team and everything is done to favor them, using fans like Howard Webb and his likes. Why must most Manu matches be played last? I am sure you'll say it doesn't matter. But it does. Knowing your rival results ahead of your matches will definitely affect your match strategy. Honestly, I don't know how people will be continuously fooled by these antics and keep on supporting Manu. It baffles me. My joy is that Manu influence is only in England and their tactical deficiencies will always be exposed once outside England. Next year, they'll crash out again in Europe. Local champions.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 5:39pm On Mar 16, 2013
karpentar:

Why would a player not be punished if he chose to play karate instead of football? Madrid outplayed Barca on that particular match and won. Manu is favored in English league. There's no neutral observer who doesn't know that. It is seen as an England national team and everything is done to favor them, using fans like Howard Webb and his likes. Why must most Manu matches be played last? I am sure you'll say it doesn't matter. But it does. Knowing your rival results ahead of your matches will definitely affect your match strategy. Honestly, I don't know how people will be continuously fooled by these antics and keep on supporting Manu. It baffles me. My joy is that Manu influence is only in England and their tactical deficiencies will always be exposed once outside England. Next year, they'll crash out again in Europe. Local champions.
Gee ! just kill ursef cux u are a real sore !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Manchester United vs. Chelsea: A Review / Everton V Man Utd [3 - 1] On Saturday 20th February / Mourinho Plans To 'Kill' Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.