Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,685 members, 7,816,794 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors (5198 Views)

Study Medicine(MBBS),engineering,business Admin, And Economics In China. / I Need ICAN Study Packs For Business Law And Economics And Business Environment / Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 1:00pm On Mar 21, 2013
eddycolo: I have been lured by the incomplete information. The question according to zico0.... "They say the central bank is the apex financial institution in any country and it is the bank that issues the legal tender money. The CBN dosen't issue money for free, so how does the currency circulate?

First, the central bank don't issue or give money for free, there are costs involved in printing monies, the difference between these costs and the profit so to speak is called Seigniorage. After printing, there are several means of putting this monies in circulation. In no particular order, first, we have lending to commercial banks for little or no interest depending on the monetary policy at the time. In other words, central banks lends money to other banks whom in turn lend this money to individuals or firms(circulating). Secondly, we have OMO(open market Operation) where central bank sell or buys bonds to either get money into the system or take money out of the system or circulation. central bank sell bonds to get money out of the system and out of circulation and buys them back when it wants to put it back in circulation. Thirdly, it lends to government, the government get this monies and spends it thereby circulating.....,

Hope this helps.

Seigniorage
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 1:01pm On Mar 21, 2013
eddycolo: I have been lured by the incomplete information. The question according to zico0.... "They say the central bank is the apex financial institution in any country and it is the bank that issues the legal tender money. The CBN dosen't issue money for free, so how does the currency circulate?

First, the central bank don't issue or give money for free, there are costs involved in printing monies, the difference between these costs and the profit so to speak is called Seigniorage. After printing, there are several means of putting this monies in circulation. In no particular order, first, we have lending to commercial banks for little or no interest depending on the monetary policy at the time. In other words, central banks lends money to other banks whom in turn lend this money to individuals or firms(circulating). Secondly, we have OMO(open market Operation) where central bank sell or buys bonds to either get money into the system or take money out of the system or circulation. central bank sell bonds to get money out of the system and out of circulation and buys them back when it wants to put it back in circulation. Thirdly, it lends to government, the government get this monies and spends it thereby circulating.....,

Hope this helps.

Seigniorage
gotten
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by tayoast(m): 8:32am On Mar 22, 2013
Nice thread.

Need some help here.
I'm supposed to start my dissertation and the topic has to do with 'assessing the impact of quantitative easing on economic growth'. Getting materials on this topic has been proving difficult.

Dunno if anyone can help? What journals should I be looking at?
Thank you.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Meenoti: 4:17pm On Mar 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Thanks for this thread.
First and first I have a question:
I'm actually an undergraduate student in business, but I would like to switch to Economic or finance for my master. I would like to know which one is better and offer more job opportunity?

Or should I go for international business/

Economics will pay you better.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Meenoti: 4:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
tayo_ast: Nice thread.

Need some help here.
I'm supposed to start my dissertation and the topic has to do with 'assessing the impact of quantitative easing on economic growth'. Getting materials on this topic has been proving difficult.

Thank you.

Check repec.org and imf research papers
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 22, 2013
Meenoti:

in Nigeria?
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by tayoast(m): 6:22pm On Mar 22, 2013
Meenoti:

Check repec.org and imf research papers

Thank you so much!

So excited cheesy
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 8:32pm On Mar 22, 2013
ARareGem: Thank you for openning this thread!

This is my question: Why is there an inverse relationship between the prices of bonds and interest rates?

Also, would anyone be so kind as to suggest some microeconomic research topics that would make use of logit mode of analysis. I'm stuck on getting a topic.

Thanks in anticipation.

Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Geewan(m): 11:19pm On Mar 22, 2013
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by BizBloke(m): 11:53pm On Mar 24, 2013

Need some help here.

Thank you.

Someone has given you clues. Google is another.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by BizBloke(m): 11:55pm On Mar 24, 2013
Meenoti:

Hmmm... I'll go for international business, but don't take my word for it. My bias tends closer to business.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 12:10am On Mar 25, 2013
In the course of following up @ArareGem's question, i ran into mine: how do companies come about the value of shares or what are the factors that determines the stock market price ?
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 4:14am On Mar 25, 2013
Thank you all for your answers, I will come with another question later
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by tayoast(m): 5:31am On Mar 25, 2013
Zico0: In the course of following up @ArareGem's question, i ran into mine: how do companies come about the value of shares or what are the factors that determines the stock market price ?

For new companies, the value of their equity is as determined by the issuing company and the issuing house.

Mostly, the value of shares is also determined by the forces of demand and supply.

Does that make sense?
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by contra(m): 5:34am On Mar 25, 2013
Zico0: In the course of following up @ArareGem's question, i ran into mine: how do companies come about the value of shares or what are the factors that determines the stock market price ?
The initial value of share is determined by the board of directors of the company. This is done after taken into consideration of some factors, which may include amongst others; their market share, goodwill, expertise etc.
when this stage is past and the shares are already in the market, subsequent prices of the share is determined by market forces. I.e demand for the company's shares. Most times, the price will be high when the company is doing very well(going by the information obtained from their financial statement)
That's all!!!
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Zico0(m): 11:21pm On Mar 26, 2013
The equity of the company is expressed as a number of shares of equal value fixed by the company.(tayo ast) Then, the stock is quoted at the stock exchange where the market price is allowed to fluctuate based on market forces.(contra): which will lead me to bonds. If however, anyone has a contradicting view or anything more to add, let them do so.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Emmyvans: 1:22pm On Mar 28, 2013

For firms that are already listed on the nigerian stock exchange(NSE) market or any bourse (synonymous with stock exchange) in the world, the value of their shares are determined by the forces of demand and supply. For example, assume that Emmyvans Investment Company (EIC) is a firm quoted on the NSE, if information reaches the market that EIC would incur a loss in its 2012 financial statement and meanwhile, investors were initially expecting a profit. Their expectation will have to be reviewed as they now expect the firm to dip in value.

Recall: if it was a profit, d balance sheet will read
Equity + profit= more equity
But since it is a loss, d balance sheet will read
Equity - loss= less equity

Thus, investors expect the value of EIC shares to fall. If they were holding the shares already, they will move to sell it before the share value drops (significantly). So a lot of investors will want to sell (increase in supply) but few people will be willing to buy EIC shares(decrease in demand) and very few at the intial price becos they expect the share value of EIC to fall. And as these forces of demand and supply interact, EIC's share value actually falls
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Emmyvans: 2:07pm On Mar 28, 2013

For firms that are not traded on the NSE, and would like to know the value of their shares probably because it wants to be acquired by some other firm or it is planning to go public (I.e. Issue and IPO-initial public offer), there are several ways that can be used by investment analysts to value such firms equity.

Now, let me cite a simple example that is kinda flawed but enderstandable. Note that there are better methods than this, that's if this is still regarded as a method(jst kidding but understand d idea). The value of a firm truely depends of the net present value of cash flow that the firm is expected to generate in the future.

U remember that the balance sheet of EIC will have its asset(A), liabilities(L) and equity(E) section and that
A = L + E
We could simply take the value of equity since that is the portion belonging to the owners. If Equity on the balance sheet of EIC (assuming it is not a quoted firm) is N70,000,000 and it plans to issue 10 million shares to the public, then its share may b valued at N7 for the IPO. The stated equity amount on the balance sheet is called the book value of equity. But is that the fair value of equity? I don't think so.

Recall that financial statesments are being prepared using the historical cost of fixed assets which should actually be revalued to its current value especially in a inflation ridden (ok it fell below 10% last month- on year to year basis ooo) economy like Nigeria. If we assume that fixed asset value were revalued to have an excess of N1,000,000 over its book value, then the FAIR value of equity may add up to N8,000,000 (N7m+N1m). Its share value will then b N8.

Like I said, valuing a firms equiry depends on its prospect for the future in terms of the NPV of future cash flows n involves analysing expected financial statements for the future of a firm. oda methods still avail like the use of the market price-earning ratio of similar firms that are traded on the NSE, price to book value ratio or price to sales ratio. And there is the dividend discount model which may apply also apply to traded firms.

I'm sure I've given a poor summary, so pls manage it. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Emmyvans: 2:24pm On Mar 28, 2013

Need some help here.

Thank you.

Also check out journals on the impact of monetary policy on economic growth. It should av a section that talks about Quantitative easing or open market operation. If u look through google and luckily find any paper on ur said topic, look through the references to get access to others.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by tayoast(m): 6:04pm On Mar 29, 2013
Emmyvans:

Also check out journals on the impact of monetary policy on economic growth. It should av a section that talks about Quantitative easing or open market operation. If u look through google and luckily find any paper on ur said topic, look through the references to get access to others.

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 10:07am On May 08, 2013
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 10:10am On May 08, 2013
Depends of where you are going to work? I like finance and economic.that's for me

Do you want to work in an international organization?
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by biolabee(m): 12:24pm On Jun 11, 2013
so this thread just died like that cry
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 01, 2018

There is no depletion in fact. There is growth and i mean real growth especially in the agric sector. Privatisation to well-known world class companies for infrastructure development, Financial Services, IT, Communications, Audit, Airport management, etc is the best thing that can happen to a country like Nigeria. It breaks the stronghold of lazy public servants and unnecessary government interventions in the free market.

As you can see, not much attention to this thread cos even the public servants who could present their views on privatisation are busy eating AMALA in the office with very little regard for anyone and anything else undecided
Hmmm
Re: A Thread For Finance And Economics Majors by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2018
Economist and Finance I hail una. I need info on tax

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amazing Facts From Around The World You Won’t Believe Were True / 2019 Lagos State Model Colleges Entrance Examination Registration With Ease / Horrifying photos Show The Charred Remains Of California And Washington Towns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.