Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus (1532 Views)

Lady Strips For 2face In Front Of Annie Idibia At Sapele Star Music Trek / Is Annie idibia Dealing With 2face In Style? / 2face In His Old Age. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by ANYPEN(m): 7:12am On Mar 17, 2013
The seat on the fence is a very tempting seat and it isn’t any comfortable as we all can guess because you can’t dare rest your back nor enjoy placing your arms on succulent and well framed armchairs. But the temptations these seats come with always make comfort a momentarily forgotten issue… you grow so hungry to enjoy the ‘goodies’ from both sides that you don’t care your back isn’t resting and that it may ache tomorrow.

Recently, 2Face Idibia was on that seat when the News of two SUVs given to him and his newly wedded wife by a serving governor filtered the airspace. At first it was reported that he hasn’t make-up his mind in accepting the gifts and at that point, I felt for him and tried exploring the thoughts in his head. He must have found himself between sides; one, with the million of Nigerians whose love for him has been tremendous and who has been appreciating his works but hates the government, and on the other side, with the government whose excessive kindness by loading out juicy gifts is mainly because they see him as a selling point (“2Face” is a household name and that name can sure win ‘votes’ in a place like Nigeria).

If you were in 2Face’s shoe, what are you going to do?

This isn’t the first time musicians are been used to gain cheap favors and earn people’s interest. I remember in 1997 when prominent musicians like King Sunny Ade, Ayinde Barrister and some few others had to run abroad to avoid gracing a concert organized by the then Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha.
I also remember King Wasiu Ayinde, the Fuji superstar who was reported been caught with ballot boxes during the governorship election in 2003 and whose support and services for the ACN is not hidden.

The same scenario seems to be playing out now in 2Face’s case and more than ever before, musicians are been seriously pushed to the corner of making decisions of choosing between the people and the government (since the people and the government are not always on the same side). Musicians need to go dust the papers having their principles and values well spelt-out and learn to follow with all their might like some of their predecessors did.

I can still remember many of 2Face’s tracks especially the one with Sound Sultan titled “Ole” where he called politicians thieves.

You cannot always sit on the fence and feel comfortable because you cannot have your back watched when you want the best of opposing sides. Politicians come and go but the people remain.
Thought it isn’t too easy to reject juicy advances but your principles and values help out easily in situations like this. Practicing what you preach is not what a lot of people can do but you cannot afford to be like just anyone when you’ve succeeded building a name from the scratch.

When it was later reported with pictures that he (2Face) accepted the gifts and also accepted to have 20 of their to-be guests sponsored to the venue of their white wedding in Dubai, I laughed and SMH because everyone knows where the money for all these is coming from, the intentions behind all the governor’s actions and of course 2Face's dilemma.

GBN!
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by joyli: 1:21pm On Mar 17, 2013
Letz call a spade a spade, the car in question is a gift. If u are in his shoes, won't u take it. Letz free d guy jor. cool cool cool
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by ANYPEN(m): 6:40pm On Mar 17, 2013
joyli: Letz call a spade a spade, the car in question is a gift. If u are in his shoes, won't u take it. Letz free d guy jor. cool cool cool

what on earth do you think they call bribe? they are also 'gifts'. am not saying he shouldn't accept whatever he wants to from anyone but he should also remember his words and try to practice them. if i was the the one, i would practice what i preach that is what is called integrity. words are powerful! if you won't do them, do not bother saying them or you'll be classed lipsrsealed
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
[size=13pt]He should've rejected the car. Very simple. People make it seem as if the Idibias had no choice. What is so hard in saying "no"? A two-lettered word that babies can scream 7 months after birth. The same Idibia that sang "E Be Like Say" accepting a gift with his wife from a governor. If you asked me in 2007 if Tu Baba go do that kain tin, I'll tell you never. I seriously thought he was better than that.

Thanks for the write-up.[/size]

1 Like

Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
ANY-PEN :
what on earth do you think they call bribe? they are also 'gifts'. am not saying he shouldn't accept whatever he wants to from anyone but he should also remember his words and try to practice them. if i was the the one, i would practice what i preach that is what is called integrity. words are powerful! if you won't do them, do not bother saying them or you'll be classed lipsrsealed

[size=13pt]Exactly.[/size]
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by vizion: 8:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
joyli: Letz call a spade a spade, the car in question is a gift. If u are in his shoes, won't u take it. Letz free d guy jor. cool cool cool

a man said and i quote "Don't show your generosity to me from another mans pocket." If 2face rejected the gifts from the governor, or donated them immediately to a proper charity in the state, it would have gone a long way to tell the governor not to give away states money as gifts, and shame upcoming artist who would accept such gifts in future.

BTW, with all the money 2face has made, i would think he could afford those gifts for himself, so why sell himself short.

1 Like

Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by vizion: 8:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by joyli: 10:35pm On Mar 17, 2013
ANY-PEN :

Anypen, let me ask u a question, if u are in his shoe what will u do? Gift frm someone of high authority
shocked shocked and u turn it down?

Av u forgotten that this people are called 'OGA ON TOP'

They made all our so call celebrities what they are today. Still they critize them, u see if u want to deal with bribe n curruption is frm the grassroot! The guy has to sit on defence because he is human. That is the society we live in. Our musician critize them with their songs, yet go to them for help.

Na oga ontop matter. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]He should've rejected the car. Very simple. People make it seem as if the Idibias had no choice. What is so hard in saying "no"? A two-lettered word that babies can scream 7 months after birth. The same Idibia that sang "E Be Like Say" accepting a gift with his wife from a governor. If you asked me in 2007 if Tu Baba go do that kain tin, I'll tell you never. I seriously thought he was better than that.

Thanks for the write-up.[/size]

Madam don't be so naive, or worse still, self-righteous.

Tuface had choices, but he chose RIGHT and WISE, inevitably. We're talking about a commercial pop artiste doing his thing in order to make a living for himself - in a country such as Nigeria where the lines between economy, polity, and politics are blurred, if not non-existent. He never claimed to be a 'socially conscious', revolutionary, swim-or-sink-with the masses-even-if-I-starve crusader (ala Fela, the only REAL one ever). He owes nobody any fake moralistic obligation, at the expense of his own wellbeing or career. After all, he does not hold public office.

It would have been disastrous for him, his blossoming career, and his 'new' marriage, to reject his wife's home governor's goodwill gesture merely to please some social media noisemakers and give them ammunition to scoff at the governor. Tuface is wiser than that.

In any case, you people should let him savour the feeling any newly-wed ought to. It's ridiculous to make so much noise over this matter, at the expense of the poor dude's happiness and fulfilment in the aftermath of his traditional marriage.

2 Likes

Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by ANYPEN(m): 12:29am On Mar 18, 2013
joyli:

Anypen, let me ask u a question, if u are in his shoe what will u do? Gift frm someone of high authority
shocked shocked and u turn it down?

Av u forgotten that this people are called 'OGA ON TOP'

They made all our so call celebrities what they are today. Still they critize them, u see if u want to deal with bribe n curruption is frm the grassroot! The guy has to sit on defence because he is human. That is the society we live in. Our musician critize them with their songs, yet go to them for help.

Na oga ontop matter. grin grin grin

i just said what i would have done. though it is difficult but i i would have thought the governor has seen my stands on things like that before coming to offer me gifts...he must have seen some of my works and most of them already said my principles and values so why coming to test them. i would have taken those gifts as a test that i should pass by wisely rejecting it.
someone said he would have turned it over to charity and i think he would have gotten more wise ways of handling such situations if he wanted to.
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by ANYPEN(m): 12:39am On Mar 18, 2013
pro01:

Madam don't be so naive, or worse still, self-righteous.

Tuface had choices, but he chose RIGHT and WISE, inevitably. We're talking about a commercial pop artiste doing his thing in order to make a living for himself - in a country such as Nigeria where the lines between economy, polity, and politics are blurred, if not non-existent. He never claimed to be a 'socially conscious', revolutionary, swim-or-sink-with the masses-even-if-I-starve crusader (ala Fela, the only REAL one ever). He owes nobody any fake moralistic obligation, at the expense of his own wellbeing or career. After all, he does not hold public office.

It would have been disastrous for him, his blossoming career, and his 'new' marriage, to reject his wife's home governor's goodwill gesture merely to please some social media noisemakers and give them ammunition to scoff at the governor. Tuface is wiser than that.

In any case, you people should let him savour the feeling any newly-wed ought to. It's ridiculous to make so much noise over this matter, at the expense of the poor dude's happiness and fulfilment in the aftermath of his traditional marriage.

this is the problem with our fathers and it is a pity we are picking after them by not seeing issues as they should be. we reason with sentiments and make decisions with 'My Oga At The Top' syndrome yet we don't know it. if our society is gonna change for the better, people are gonna have to be taken by their words especially people we call role models. 2Face is a role model any day in Nigeria and am a big fan but since he accepted those gifts, i've been very bad about about him... not because i hate him now or something but because i naturally love people with integrity and he now seems out of the league.
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by Nobody: 1:08am On Mar 18, 2013
ANY-PEN :

this is the problem with our fathers and it is a pity we are picking after them by not seeing issues as they should be. we reason with sentiments and make decisions with 'My Oga At The Top' syndrome yet we don't know it. if our society is gonna change for the better, people are gonna have to be taken by their words especially people we call role models. 2Face is a role model any day in Nigeria and am a big fan but since he accepted those gifts, i've been very bad about about him... not because i hate him now or something but because i naturally love people with integrity and he now seems out of the league.

"2face is a role model". . . . .self-declared? Or appointed by you? I mentioned moral obligation in my previous post; 2face has no such obligation because he never claimed to be a champion of populist causes; neither is he a custodian of the public trust.

That being said, regardless of what Any Pen might write, I have no idea how 2face's "integrity" as a commercial musician is diminished by allowing his wife to accept a goodwill gift from Godswill. We're talking about a pop singer here, not an opposition politician or so-called civil-society activist.

In any case, the question you should ask yourself (and answer to yourself) is: would YOU accept the gift if you were in 2face's shoes? Honestly? It's rather nonsensical to expect more from someone else than you are capable of yourself.
Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by Nobody: 3:00am On Mar 18, 2013
@ANY-PEN

I understand that the middle of the road is the most dangerous place to be. However, that's not the case here. Tuface had consistently made his position (on government policies) known time and again. He is not guilty of any form of ambiguity.

The gifts are a form of appreciation of good music served the nation by one of it's most industrious artistes. Moreover, Akpabio has been in power long enough to amass such wealth to procure and dole out such gifts without being accused of 'lifting' them from government coffers. On another note, what can Tuface possibly do to uplift or destroy (as the case may be) Akpabio at this time? He (Akpabio) has proven to be somewhat distinctive in governance (at least in comparison with his colleagues).

Asking him to reject such honour is just absurd and uncalled for. He has worked hard to gain himself the fame & reputation and fully deserves whatever accolades that might come his way (and by extension his family). Countries with Stars like Tuface even tend to do more for his likes. In my opinion, the gifts are not even enough, considering Tuface's contribution to the Nation's accomplishment and position in the music industry in Africa and the rest of the world.

1 Like

Re: A Seat On The Fence: 2face In Focus by ANYPEN(m): 11:17am On Mar 18, 2013
fluid26: @ANY-PEN

I understand that the middle of the road is the most dangerous place to be. However, that's not the case here. Tuface had consistently made his position (on government policies) known time and again. He is not guilty of any form of ambiguity.

The gifts are a form of appreciation of good music served the nation by one of it's most industrious artistes. Moreover, Akpabio has been in power long enough to amass such wealth to procure and dole out such gifts without being accused of 'lifting' them from government coffers. On another note, what can Tuface possibly do to uplift or destroy (as the case may be) Akpabio at this time? He (Akpabio) has proven to be somewhat distinctive in governance (at least in comparison with his colleagues).

Asking him to reject such honour is just absurd and uncalled for. He has worked hard to gain himself the fame & reputation and fully deserves whatever accolades that might come his way (and by extension his family). Countries with Stars like Tuface even tend to do more for his likes. In my opinion, the gifts are not even enough, considering Tuface's contribution to the Nation's accomplishment and position in the music industry in Africa and the rest of the world.

Do you guys know that he hesitated? ok, The reason why he hesitated is what i am trying to justify. 2Face has said a lot about the government and that is one of the reasons a lot of people love him. money isn't everything... forget the fact that he is a commercial pop star, what am saying is that anyone be it a politician or a musician should be responsible for what they say and make public. people should be able to make clear their stands not just for themselves but for people looking up to them.

if you're thinking in money context, you may never understand me but if you appreciate integrity in people... you clearly understand.
there are so many other musicians i wouldn't have bother even think about if they received a 100x of what he was given... why? because they have made it clear they aren't on the masses side... and that they just wanna go clubbing and have fun.

i want you to be specific in pointing out musicians in America for example (because that is Nigerians favorite reference) where politicians go all out in dolling out gifts to pop stars despite the fact that they have a better economy and people their appreciate their government more than what we have here.

(1) (Reply)

Annie Idibia, Sound Sultan Juliet Ibrahim At Dbanj's #dkmconcert (photos) / Yvonne Nelson On The Juicewith Toolz...talks About Iyanya's Infidelity / Ponography Pioneer And Screw Magazine Publisher,Al Goldstein Dies At 77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.