Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

How Long Should A Sermon Be? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Long Should A Sermon Be? (698 Views)

The Power Of Your Yesterday - A Sermon By Dr. D. K. Olukoya.. Download Here / Download/listen To "Dancers At The Gate Of Death" -a Sermon By Dr. D. K. Olukoya / A Sermon For Those Who belong to satan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Should A Sermon Be? by nikkypearl(f): 2:26pm On Mar 18, 2013
Some preachers can speak for over an hour in churches!to be candid,it get boring some times!how long do you fink a sermon should be?thanks!
Re: How Long Should A Sermon Be? by Nkeon: 2:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
Yesterday I went my cousin's Christening and the whole service lasted 2.5 hours with the sermon 30 minutes alone! This is a Catholic church and usually it is only an hour in total.

I don't think that they should be very long at all. People always remember poignant and brief quotes of wisdom but who remembers a whole sermon word for word? I say take 15 minutes for a strong and meaningful message and then sing a couple of songs then home time. Better to have a brief and meaningful sermon that a long ass long winded one that has half the congregation with their heads in the clouds and the kids crying from boredom.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should A Sermon Be? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 18, 2013
In all that you do be moderate...

Services should be as long as the offering line...
Re: How Long Should A Sermon Be? by nikkypearl(f): 3:03pm On Mar 18, 2013
@Nkeon!9ce 1
Re: How Long Should A Sermon Be? by JeSoul(f): 4:15pm On Mar 18, 2013
nikkypearl: Some preachers can speak for over an hour in churches!to be candid,it get boring some times!how long do you fink a sermon should be?thanks!

Honestly, it depends. I don't think you can stick a time on it.

I've been in 1hr long services and bored to bone. And on the flipside I've been to 2.5hrs long services with the sermon over an hour and loved every second because it was riveting and the message was on point and was from the Holy Spirit. Overall, I think 30mins is a good chunk of time to get a good message across - it should be about quality not quantity.

And lets not forget Acts 20...Paul preached for so long (hours) that even one poor dude got so bored & tired he fell asleep and fell out a window cheesy cheesy
Acts 20
On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight. 8There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together. 9And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor and was picked up dead. 10But Paul went down and fell upon him, and after embracing him, he said, “Do not be troubled, for his life is in him.” 11When he had gone back up and had broken the bread and eaten, he talked with them a long while until daybreak, and then left. 12They took away the boy alive, and were greatly comforted.

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Calling Angels Off The Job / Atheists To Start 1-800 Hotline For Doubters / Applying 2 Tim. 3:16 To The Rest Of The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.