Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,969 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Rio Ferdinand Pulls Out Of England Squad - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rio Ferdinand Pulls Out Of England Squad (526 Views)

Brazilian Referee Pulls Gun On Players During Red Card Dispute / Nigerian Onaolapo Pulls Pant Off After Commonwealth Win! / Susanne Ibru Jailed Again For Stalking Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rio Ferdinand Pulls Out Of England Squad by jamp: 5:00pm On Mar 18, 2013
Rio Ferdinand has been forced to withdraw from the England squad "due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow", manager Roy Hodgson has said.
Ferdinand, who has not played for his country since June 2011, was handed a surprise call-up to Hodgson's squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro.

There had been some doubt as to whether he would accept the call, with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson saying he would "need to speak to our doctor" to ascertain whether it would be possible for the 34-year-old to resume his international career. On Saturday, he had announced that Ferdinand would join up with the squad.

However, after Ferdinand held talks with Hodgson on Sunday, the defender has withdrawn from the squad, although the England manager has stressed that it is not necessarily the end of the player's international career.

"I'm disappointed Rio will not be available, but due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow it's not possible," he said. "I was pleased that Rio called and asked to meet with me. It was important to hear from him personally about the way he must manage his body between games.

"This is not to say he cannot play back-to-back games - he can and has proven so. He's out this time due to particular pre-planned details already in place for his programme.

"I must place on record how I was impressed with his commitment to playing for England and I look forward to hopefully selecting him for squads in the future."

Ferdinand remains upbeat about his chances of playing for England again.

"It was important for me to be able to speak with Roy face to face and explain the situation, and one thing I made clear was that my passion and commitment to represent my country is as strong as ever," he said. "It is disappointing that I won't be able to play a part in the upcoming games but I told Roy that I want to continue to be available for England and I look forward to working with him in the future."

The defender subsequently said via his Twitter account that he was "gutted" to have to withdraw from the double-header and reiterated his need to adhere to his strict training schedule.

source: http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1379656/rio-ferdinand-forced-to-withdraw-from-england-squad?cc=3888
Re: Rio Ferdinand Pulls Out Of England Squad by jamp: 5:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
the guy dey always take WEEDS

LOL
Re: Rio Ferdinand Pulls Out Of England Squad by Trueigbo: 8:40pm On Mar 18, 2013
jamp: the guy dey always take WEEDS

LOL

Onye igbo grin

(1) (Reply)

Buy Treadmills, Massagers, Soccer Table With Coins, Snooker Tables And Bikes / Confed Cup: Brazil Not Ready For Eagles, Others – FIFA / 10/10: Austin Jay-jay Okocha Joins Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.