Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Referrals - Your Best Source Of Jobs. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Referrals - Your Best Source Of Jobs. (639 Views)

Get Country Targeted Social Media Followers,likes,subcribers,views And Referrals / Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Referrals - Your Best Source Of Jobs. by databoy247(m): 12:34am On Mar 19, 2013
I do freelance website development (with a ghost team), administrative consultations, and freelance graphics. I have at one point in time searched and begged people to give me jobs to do but after a while (and lots of free and cheap jobs) i understood my greatest strength in getting jobs.

REFERRALS!

Of recent, i have gotten more jobs via referrals than seeking and begging for jobs. I get so busy with referrals that i dare not start advertising. I dont even bid for jobs here on nairaland.

I just finished doing an illustrative design for a humanitarian group in UK for t-shirt printing in preparation for their upcoming project in Sudan, also a website for a new transport company, did an administrative consultation job with an NGO for one month and currently building a corporate profile for an oil servicing firm....all through referrals.

Bottom line? As an upcoming freelancer (many have always asked me), focus on your immediate environment...initially i began sourcing for clients here around Delta State and after a while, those around me started giving me referrals. And jobs gotten via referrals will go a long way in building your portfolio pending when you get the big one.(am still waiting for the big one tongue)

REASON FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE ENVIRONMENT?
Weither you like it or not, most clients have trust issues...especially when you are in Abuja and wanting a client to send you 50k to design his/her website. You hardly get such clients who dont have trust issues. Major reason why you fall back home. In your environment, they can see you physically and would have less reason to trust you wont run away with their money. Its when you have gotten a very good profile, then you stat talking about extending your services to other parts of the country and outside the country.

Meet friends, family, church members, etc get them to know what you do for a living. If you have extra cash, print flyers and complimentary cards and distribute.
Recently, i received a call from someone saying he got my complimentary card from someone else and wants me to do a job for his friend...his friend called me the next day and i went to his office and the rest is history.....Now environment playing a major role there plus i was seen physically. Even though the client was a high ranking SPDC worker, he still had trust issues.

You dont start looking for jobs in Sokoto when you can get them in your own backyard. I hope this helps and encourages up coming freelancers. Because when yo see a successful freelancer and CEOs like Dual Core, Yawa-ti-de, Afam4ever, GreenMouse, etc dont think they became successful by magic...it all starts from somewhere. i remember Dual Core saying at one time he started from his room (immediate environment)..now he is the #Ogaatthetop. grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Mistakes To Avoid When Using Web Templates / Your Website In 3mins / Pls I Don't Know How To Install .zip Files

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.