Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs (2040 Views)

Referrals - Your Best Source Of Jobs. / A Freelance Web Developer In Need Of Jobs. Please Help! / Nigerian Sites And The Lack Of Contact Forms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2011
These days people talk about scarcity of good jobs, I do wonder, because I think skilled graduates are much more scarce than good Jobs.
when ever we advertise for jobs , we get over 100 applications but after weeks of review and phone calls, you still find out that the applicant do not have the required skills needed, despite claiming so as written on his or her CV.

Imagine, applicant seeking for a job(web designer) without any form of sample jobs, either online or on local machine.

when asked the tools normally used he will mention one software that he used to edit a template.

My questions is this, why is it that despite all the resources available online and all IT training schools in Nigeria we still find unemployed computer science graduate roaming the streets in search for jobs ?.

Any useful contribution is welcome ,
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by Dyt(f): 6:31pm On Jul 03, 2011
Well i blv its all lack of jobs n well trianin
if dere r jobs n gd trainin i blv dey ll all b qualified
ow wld u expect a fresh grad v 3yrs workin experience witout havin worked anywhere,experiences dont jst cm
dey work 2wards it
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by talk2hb1(m): 7:23pm On Jul 03, 2011
The problem is qualifide and skilled Graduate are mostly self employed in the IT industry, while the unskilled one are expecting to be employed.
After my B.Sc I dont want a job with anybody, I am earning enough now, while Planning to increase my income after my Degree. Its just a pity many graduates are looking for job, but lacks the needed skill to be employed. All fingers should be pointed to the Government and the lecturers. The government should be blame for not funding Education very well, and the lecturers for not teaching the right skills in school.
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 11:42pm On Jul 03, 2011
I graduated with 2.1 in computer science from one of the best Federal Universities in Nigeria, surprisingly, I never learnt any programing language throughout my five years of study,

Some of my lecturers don't even know the programing themselves, today am a professional programmer,

WHICH WAY FORWARD PLS LETS CONTINUE THE CONTRIBUTION,
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by talk2hb1(m): 3:12pm On Jul 04, 2011
Well we should help any body willing to learn. I think that's the best we can do for them
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by yawatide(f): 4:44pm On Jul 08, 2011
1) Nigeria is a civil service society. As a result, many have been preconditioned to think that govt job is the all in all.
2) Many people, generally speaking, prefer not to take risk of self employment, partially because of #1 above
3) Many people, generally speaking, want fast and easy money (read: politics and oil), as opposed to doing it the hard way
4) Dignity in labor: Few in Nigeria, generally speaking, are yet to learn this concept
5) Crumbling education system
6) Lack of incentive for private sector to create jobs (insecurity, crumbling infrastructure, etc)

Would you like me to list more? I have a whole bag load of them tongue
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
I think it is lack of both.
Cos Nigeria is turning out thousands of graduates every year and there is not job creation to match that.
Also, with how things are run in our universities, i am not sure we have qualities as well.
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by gabuzee(m): 8:33am On Jul 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I think it is lack of both.
Cos Nigeria is turning out thousands of graduates every year and there is not job creation to match that.
Also, with how things are run in our universities, i am not sure we have qualities as well.

@ Fhemmy, am with you. Nigeria Lacks both. grin
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by WebMonk(m): 9:26am On Jul 09, 2011
Chances are the good ones are too few and spread apart that for every competent web professional a client might meet, he/she is likely to meet a dozen quaks (DIY bookers, Frontpagers, etc). Fastforward some useless/redundant/non-objective cheap projects later, the client STILL has a need want for it, but most likely has a skewed expectation/perception of what a true professional should charge.  Let's say a client was used to crappy designs for some cheap price. The day he meets a professional who charges what the client might call 'heaven and earth', he will either bite or bail. A client once said 'nobody charges that high in this day and age'. I'm sure he was referring to how easy it was to pickup a DIY book, and certainly not how to deliver a project with specs from beginning to end.

There are jobs out there. its just they mostly pay so low even qualified graduates shouldn't touch it with a 10 meter pole.
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 1:24pm On Jul 09, 2011
Well, I thank you all for the contributions, we are not to blame the govt along here.
The university i graduated from, our lecturers do not even know anything about programing or networking,
all we studied for whole five years was theory,theory and theory.

so ask me how I managed to make it today as a web developer and even own my own business.

Hardwork and srudy,

we all need personal effort to get there,
This is why u see more graduates dying to enter banks and ministries and dull their brains there bc they know they are not employable(lack of skills)

@yewatide give us more reasons and way out.
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by JAVAclinic: 10:12am On Jul 15, 2011
We could assist those ready to learn, at any point in time, thats the ultimate solutions
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2011
We are currently runing a web design promo.
call to reserve your space.

Registration is 5,500.
Tuition fee is free.

Courses
HTML, CSS, FIREWORKS, SWISHMAX, JAVASCRIPT, PHP/MYSQL

call 08063786241
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 9:37am On Aug 23, 2011
I strongly believe in learning these skills while in schools and during one year NYSC.
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by marcus1234: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2011
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 12:05pm On Aug 23, 2011
real common problem and lack learning zeal
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by MUSTAPHAY: 4:42pm On Aug 23, 2011
faulty educational system which we operate on because today our school has no direction in the sense that you have to offer many different courses both the one not related to your field of studies at the end of the day you cant specialized on any thing all the years of your studies we have no direction in our curriculum of studies up till now government don't know the best system to adapt 6-6-4 or 7-5-4 the government is confused very reign comes with its own , but the best solution to this is for our educational system to develop people to be self employed not to be employee more attention to be paid to professional course. the lectures of computer departments not all can handle computer system because they all are product of the system
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 12:28pm On Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for your comments, am very happy that our dear president is working towards this direction, I do follow him on Facebook and he is really promising on this very issue of unemployable graduates. but meanwhile lets puts hands together and give our best to those that deserve this skills, especially our fellow computer graduates.
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by yawatide(f): 3:56pm On Aug 25, 2011
@greenmouse Again, I could give a boat load of solutions but the one that comes to mind first, and without which nothing else can happen is this:
Stop (or at the very least cut by at least 80%) corruption and greed
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 7:06pm On Aug 25, 2011
Yes corruption is a very good factor though, but meanwhile we need to put hands together in solving this,
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by yawatide(f): 7:33pm On Aug 25, 2011
How can you solve a problem when you are not willing to attack the symptom(s)?

The issue is that of corruption. Get rid of it and almost all our other problems go overnight. IMHO
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 10:40am On Aug 26, 2011
We all as Nigerians can curb this menace called corruption, if we believe,
@yewatide, are u game ?!!
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by yawatide(f): 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2011
I have been game since birth. For one, I don't give and/or accept bribe and deal with ppl based on merit as opposed to where you are from or "who knows who" wink

r u game?
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2011
yes am game, which way forward ?
Re: Lack Of Jobs Or Lack Of Quality Graduates For The Jobs by greenmouse(m): 1:22pm On Sep 06, 2011
We are currently runing a free national web design promo.
call to reserve your space.

Registration is 5,500.

(HTML/XHTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, FIREWORKS, SWISHMAX 2, PHP/MYSQL)

Tuition fee is free.

Location is available in Lagos & Benin respectively

Training class runs 5 days in a week,

weekend class also available.

10am to 2pm daily.

call 08063786241

(1) (Reply)

Can You Add Multiple Members To A Facebook Group? Enter Here / Buying A Domain From Namecheap With GTB Naira Mastercard. / Social Site Generator: Run A Social Network Website Like Myspace Or Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.