Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,076 members, 7,957,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:03 AM

Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed (909 Views)

Pope Benedict XVI Cured My Cancer / Pope Benedict To Resign / Comments By Pope Benedict XVI Annoy Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by vedaxcool(m): 9:47am On Mar 19, 2013
Pope Francis came close to losing his position within the Catholic Church after he criticised his predecessor seven years ago.

In 2005, then Pope Benedict quoted from an obscure medieval text which declared that the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Islamic faith, was "evil and inhuman", enraging the Muslim population and causing attacks on churches throughout the world before an apology was issued.

Reacting within days to the statements, speaking through a spokesman to Newsweek Argentina, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio declared his "unhappiness" with the statements, made at the University of Regensburg in Germany, and encouraged many of his subordinates with the Church to do the same.

"Pope Benedict's statement don't reflect my own opinions", the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires declared. "These statements will serve to destroy in 20 seconds the careful construction of a relationship with Islam that Pope John Paul II built over the last twenty years".

The Vatican reacted quickly, removing one subordinate, Joaquín Piña the Archbishop of Puerto Iguazú from his post within four days of his making similar statements to the Argentine national media, sending a clear statement to Cardinal Bergoglio that he would be next should he choose to persist.

Reacting to the threats from Rome, Cardinal Bergoglio cancelled his plans to fly to Rome, choosing to boycott the second synod that Pope Benedict had called during his tenure as pontiff.

"The only thing that didn't happen to Bergoglio was being removed from his post", wrote investigative journalist Horacio Verbitsky in his column in left-wing daily newspaper Página/24. "The Vatican was very quick to react."

Cristina Kirchner, the Argentina president, stated at the time that such diatribes were "dangerous for everyone".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9931030/Pope-Francis-run-in-with-Benedict-XVI-over-the-Prophet-Mohammed.html
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by killuminati(m): 9:49am On Mar 19, 2013
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by Ubenedictus(m): 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2013
vedaxcool: Pope Francis came close to losing his position within the Catholic Church after he criticised his predecessor seven years ago.

In 2005, then Pope Benedict quoted from an obscure medieval text which declared that the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Islamic faith, was "evil and inhuman", enraging the Muslim population and causing attacks on churches throughout the world before an apology was issued.

Reacting within days to the statements, speaking through a spokesman to Newsweek Argentina, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio declared his "unhappiness" with the statements, made at the University of Regensburg in Germany, and encouraged many of his subordinates with the Church to do the same.

"Pope Benedict's statement don't reflect my own opinions", the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires declared. "These statements will serve to destroy in 20 seconds the careful construction of a relationship with Islam that Pope John Paul II built over the last twenty years".

The Vatican reacted quickly, removing one subordinate, Joaquín Piña the Archbishop of Puerto Iguazú from his post within four days of his making similar statements to the Argentine national media, sending a clear statement to Cardinal Bergoglio that he would be next should he choose to persist.

Reacting to the threats from Rome, Cardinal Bergoglio cancelled his plans to fly to Rome, choosing to boycott the second synod that Pope Benedict had called during his tenure as pontiff.

"The only thing that didn't happen to Bergoglio was being removed from his post", wrote investigative journalist Horacio Verbitsky in his column in left-wing daily newspaper Página/24. "The Vatican was very quick to react."

Cristina Kirchner, the Argentina president, stated at the time that such diatribes were "dangerous for everyone".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9931030/Pope-Francis-run-in-with-Benedict-XVI-over-the-Prophet-Mohammed.html
that isn't enough to remove him from his post, while i find nothing wrong with pope emeritus benedict address, d address did disrupt the relationship johnpaul had built. Benedict was talking like an intellectual, he mistakingly thought he was also talking to intellectuals who could consider issues with a level head.
Benedict wasnt insulting islam, he was quoting an ancient discussion but d muslims thought he was insulting them.
And card jorges comments were correct.
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by vedaxcool(m): 6:33pm On Mar 19, 2013
^
Unfortunately, ur statement means Francis was also too unintellectual to understand what the pope was saying! Well good riddance . . .
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by proo212(m): 7:30pm On Mar 19, 2013
@Vedaxcool, are we saying from this article that the new Pope is pro-islam? Since he obviously objected to Pope Benedict's University of Regensburg lecture....I guess I wasnt far off the point when i thought the new pope will be pro-islam and my bets were on Angelo Scola.

Many ways to skin a cat.
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by Ubenedictus(m): 11:31pm On Mar 19, 2013
vedaxcool: ^
Unfortunately, ur statement means Francis was also too unintellectual to understand what the pope was saying! Well good riddance . . .
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by Ubenedictus(m): 11:37pm On Mar 19, 2013
vedaxcool: ^
you are just baised against benedict. Jorge clearly said those words used by benedict donot represent his views and benedict himself said, the words in question do not represent his views. He simply quoted a text, but unfortunately the islamic scholars didnt seem to know the use of quotations.
Francis didnt say he didnt understand, he said d words donot represent his views and benedict said the same. Benedict isnt responsible for d fact that d islamic scholars seem unable to reason when islam is mentioned in relation to violence.
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by vedaxcool(m): 9:51am On Mar 20, 2013
^^^
Unfortunately Francis too seem not to know the use of the Quotation mark, your argument rings hallow and typically underscores the tragedy of religion in Nigeria, Francis was quite unhappy with bendict tat he even instructed his subordinate to condemn such insane behaviour, I wonder whether the pope (ex) would be keen in quoting "logic"boy remarks about Jesus . . . One hope reasonable Francis that knows how popes should behave especially in this modern era would remain reasonable . . . any way you can keep arguing blindly and forsake reason whenever the Catholic church is mentioned, I find it quite fascinating that Francis would have gotten canned for pointing out the sheer unintelligence of the Benedict behaviour!
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by italo: 1:28pm On Mar 20, 2013
vedaxcool: Pope Francis came close to losing his position within the Catholic Church after he criticised his predecessor seven years ago.

@ vedaxccol, I am telling you this because I think that you are a reasonable man. You should read less of the Telegraph. They are often guilty of sensationalist reporting.

The Telegraph say it is a quote. We do not know if it is a true quote. They give no reference. Search for the quote, you'll find nothing earlier than 2012, and that is on dubious websites. Being on the internet does not make something true.
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by italo: 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2013
Also, didnt you muslims prove the qoute about Mohammed to be correct?

What did you do?

You started to kill children of God, destroy their properties and their places of worship.

Isnt that EVIL and INHUMAN?
Re: Pope Francis' Run-in With Benedict XVI Over The Prophet Mohammed by Ubenedictus(m): 10:08pm On Mar 21, 2013
vedaxcool: ^^^
Unfortunately Francis too seem not to know the use of the Quotation mark, your argument rings hallow and typically underscores the tragedy of religion in Nigeria, Francis was quite unhappy with bendict tat he even instructed his subordinate to condemn such insane behaviour, I wonder whether the pope (ex) would be keen in quoting "logic"boy remarks about Jesus . . . One hope reasonable Francis that knows how popes should behave especially in this modern era would remain reasonable . . . any way you can keep arguing blindly and forsake reason whenever the Catholic church is mentioned, I find it quite fascinating that Francis would have gotten canned for pointing out the sheer unintelligence of the Benedict behaviour!
since u seem to know what d pope said and didnt say, i ask you to provide the full text of the said statement. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

God Is Never Late, Always On Time! / Mortal Instruments City Of Bones - Satanic Nephilim Deception / My Encounter At Pastor Chris Okotie's Church In Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.