Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. (18571 Views)

Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Want To Further My Education But No Money,do I Learn Handwork Or ...? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by blamelessly(f): 10:13am On Mar 21, 2013
I read Economics in school. After I lost my job due to the company shutting down the Nigeria office, it become almost impossible to get a new1 for a long time. I got tired of scattering my CVs everywhere, while becoming koboless daily. I went to learn how to fix ladies' false nails,pedicure&manicure and make up artistry. I begged someone who owned a salon if I could hang around her salon to get customers. Its been over a year. Instead of staying at home, hoping for a job to drop out somehow, I've been in the salon earning a living. I'm about to open a classic unisex salon in a month. I must confess, I'm getting afraid all of a sudden. I hate2 fail. I don't know much about hair. I plan to employ willing youths with the skills while I concentrate on what I know and aim2 learn more. I need stylists and barbers. Don't want them to mess me up. Hoping I've not cut more than I can chew

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by uboma(m): 12:17pm On Mar 21, 2013
I commend you bro for the giant stride u took. All the best in ur biz and I hope other youths will learn from you, never to rely solely on white collar jobs.
Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by Passionplus: 2:10pm On Mar 22, 2013
Am proud of you.It is not easy to stop job hunting,most nigerian youths are victims of that.Let me share with you some insights I have learnt in this business which may help you.For starters,when you employ stylists,they are to be your partners,not employees.So they are to pay for the seeats in your shop,for instance i know a salon where the stylists pay the owner 5k weekly,all you have to do is to set up the salon in a good lacation,decaorate it well,have a standard generator and equip the place well.Then employ a cashier where customers pay to for all your services,each stylist will be given an invoice booklet upon accepting your terms,so when a customer comes in he/she will approach them and make their hair and issue the customer an invoice ,the customer pays to the cashier who issues the cisutomer a receipt with the name of the stylist on it,at the end of the week,you take your 5k 0r less depending on the flow of business and pay the stylist the rest,from your 5k you can pay the cashier monthly.The stylists and barbers contribute money to fuel the gen and each will buy their own hair products from your stock.
i know a salon that has been in operation for over 10 yrs and this is how they operate.But to us the customers,everything is smooth sailing.
I hope this helps.
best of luck

6 Likes

Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by lacewiggal: 10:24am On Mar 23, 2013
The advice I can give you OP is make YouTube your best friend! Any new technique be it hair skin or make up or nails are available there and the knowledge is endless! There are so many people who learnt makeup on YouTube, I personally learnt hair on YouTube. When you provide your stylists with an environment that is conducive and you encourage them to learn new techniques, they'll value you more and you'll even get more customers. As far as payment, ive heard of those that pay stylists 25% commission on whatever work they do. The remaining 75% goes to owner of shop and running the shop.
blamelessly: I read Economics in school. After I lost my job due to the company shutting down the Nigeria office, it become almost impossible to get a new1 for a long time. I got tired of scattering my CVs everywhere, while becoming koboless daily. I went to learn how to fix ladies' false nails,pedicure&manicure and make up artistry. I begged someone who owned a salon if I could hang around her salon to get customers. Its been over a year. Instead of staying at home, hoping for a job to drop out somehow, I've been in the salon earning a living. I'm about to open a classic unisex salon in a month. I must confess, I'm getting afraid all of a sudden. I hate2 fail. I don't know much about hair. I plan to employ willing youths with the skills while I concentrate on what I know and aim2 learn more. I need stylists and barbers. Don't want them to mess me up. Hoping I've not cut more than I can chew

2 Likes

Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by dripstoil: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2013
[size=14pt]That's a very bold step and I must commend you for that. The fruit for your good decision will start showing up soon. For others who are interested in Handwork too, here are some Handwork in Nigeria you can learn within a month

http://www.wealthresult.com/2013/08/handworks-you-can-learn-within-month.html[/size]
Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by SunnyJ2: 5:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
I have a brother who drop out from primary school, he don't know how to read and writer. he is a drunker and a smoker. his doing opposite of what i like to do. the worst he don't have hand work. now he want to come and stay with me in the city. the person in question is my elder brother. please forum advice me. how can i assist him? can he be able to learn handwork? can change of enviroment solve the problem?

1 Like

Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by BlessedFellow: 6:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
SunnyJ2: I have a brother who drop out from primary school, he don't know how to read and writer. he is a drunker and a smoker. his doing opposite of what i like to do. the worst he don't have hand work. now he want to come and stay with me in the city. the person in question is my elder brother. please forum advice me. how can i assist him? can he be able to learn handwork? can change of enviroment solve the problem?

I would advise you create a new thread.

1 Like

Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by vnancy(f): 10:08am On Dec 10, 2014
blamelessly:
I read Economics in school. After I lost my job due to the company shutting down the Nigeria office, it become almost impossible to get a new1 for a long time. I got tired of scattering my CVs everywhere, while becoming koboless daily. I went to learn how to fix ladies' false nails,pedicure&manicure and make up artistry. I begged someone who owned a salon if I could hang around her salon to get customers. Its been over a year. Instead of staying at home, hoping for a job to drop out somehow, I've been in the salon earning a living. I'm about to open a classic unisex salon in a month. I must confess, I'm getting afraid all of a sudden. I hate2 fail. I don't know much about hair. I plan to employ willing youths with the skills while I concentrate on what I know and aim2 learn more. I need stylists and barbers. Don't want them to mess me up. Hoping I've not cut more than I can chew
blamelessly:

Pls how do I contact you?
Re: Finally I Stopped Seeking For A Job&went To Learn A Handwork. by donpy(m): 4:46pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hello young man...whre u located..snd me a txt on 09093200039 i'll call u... I ave sumtin for u

(1) (Reply)

Meet Daniel Adekunle – Security Guard Turned Software Developer! (Photos, Video) / Nigerian Engineers Are Not Competent? / My Boss Wishes Everyone Happy Birthday Apart From Me..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.