Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,902 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy (7451 Views)

How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy / Best Tablet To Use With Nigerian Telecoms (MTN, Glo)? / Choosing The Right Laptop For Gaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 5:03pm On Mar 21, 2013

Having more choices is not always a good thing. Take tablets for example: When you could only buy the Apple iPad, it was a clear-cut decision. Now that there are numerous brands, different sizes and multiple platforms, it actually requires some work to find the best device for you. Here are some important points that you should consider when selecting a tablet.

For work or play?

The first question you should really ask: Do you need a tablet? As a device that falls between a full-fledged notebook and a smartphone, it's only natural for some consumers to believe that they can substitute a laptop with a tablet. Now, this could be true for some that mainly use their slates for browsing the Web or playing games, but it's not always the case for heavy users as per flexibility.

For instance, you may be used to transferring files between computers with a USB drive, but few tablets have full-sized USB ports. This could mean adjusting how you do things or even not getting a tablet after all. Others may feel that tablets complement their existing phones and laptops and are worth buying because they are more appropriate for certain scenarios, such as reading ebooks on the couch.

Once you're sure that you need a tablet, you should consider what you're mainly using it for. Is it for work, such as taking notes at meetings and reading documents? Or would you be using it for entertainment, like watching videos and playing games? Most tablets can fulfill both roles pretty well, but there are some which are more suitable than others.

Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet and the BlackBerry PlayBook are examples of slates that are marketed for the workplace and have additional features for their target audience. Microsoft is also emphasizing the full functionality that you'll get with tablets that run its upcoming Windows 8 operating system. The software company recently unveiled its first
Surface tablets and while they aren't available till later this year, they do show promise for users who want to do more than just consume content on their slates.

What's the right size?

Tablets can start from a modest 5.5-inch display and go up to 13 inches. In-between, you'll find models with screens ranging from 7 inches to 9.7 inches. Obviously, the devices with the larger displays will be heavier and less portable--one can barely hold a 9- or 10-inch tablet for prolonged use with just one hand. A larger screen may also shorten the battery life or require a more powerful battery, which goes back to the issue of weight.

Besides the size of the display, one should also look at the screen resolution. Here's where Apple has continued to lead the market with the Retina display on the latest iPad. Android slates from Acer, Asus and some OEM have also upped the native resolution on their high-end slates to full-HD.

Which is the right platform?

Buying a tablet is similar to getting a mobile phone. You're basically tied to the platform upon purchase, as there's no easy way to change the operating system like you do on a laptop. With this in mind, you should treat a tablet like an appliance. Out of the box, it should have all the features and software that you need.

For most consumers, the number and variety of apps available for their tablets is an important concern. A tablet may have a great operating system with built-in apps that do almost everything that you can think of, but a lack of third-party apps will still affect its viability in the market. This is the big minus for closed-system OS like the Apple iOS. This is because it's no longer just a contest of hardware specs--it's a constant struggle between platforms to attract developers to code apps for them.

Having used Apple iOS, Blackberry OS, Android and Windows, I personally have a thing for the android. Android is a world of unlimited opportunities as it offers an open-system unlike Apple iOS that operates the closed-system which does not allow USB and other connected devices that are not of Apple. Android allows you download millions of free
applications from the playstore. With an Android tab, like the one I am using now, you can turn the device to a tv, modem, flash drive, radio, bible, game etc by downloading the right app.

Currently, Apple's iOS platform continues to lead in the total number of apps, though Google's Android equivalent is rapidly catching up. According to the most recent official statistics from both companies, there are 650,000 apps on iOS compared with 600,000 on Android. Android is one of the problems of Blackberry as it is a strong competitor with its unlimited opportunities. The statistics above shows that Apple is also nearly at a tie with it. This is the best time to get an android tab.

As there are many vendors using the Android OS for their tablets, they have tried to differentiate their products in terms of software enhancements and hardware features. Hence, there are Android slates that come with full-sized USB ports while others have more radical designs, such as my google tab that comes with micro USB, HDMI, SIM, earphone and
micro SD ports.

Some of the hardware features that you should take note of when looking at the specs include:

* Processor (number of cores and clock speed)- atleast 1.2ghz
* Screen resolution - from 800 x 1200
* Camera (rear and front-facing)- from 2mp
* Ports, video outputs, connectors - should have at least a 2.0 USB
* Wireless connectivity (3G/Wi-Fi) - from 2G to wifi hotspot enabled
* Stylus support - from 5 point capacitive
* Internal and expandable storage - from 8GB to 32GB expandable

Is there a right price?

You can get a tablet for as low as $120 but the question is will it suit your age and requirement. When it comes to smaller form factors, such as 7 inches, US$229 appears affordable enough to appeal to most consumers.

Conclusion

In summary, these are 5 questions you should ask yourself when buying a tablet.

What do you need it for?
Do you already have a smartphone or laptop? Do you intend to use it for work or play? Are there some tasks that can only be done with a tablet?

What screen size to get?
Weight, battery life and the apps you intend to run are the factors to consider. Screen resolution and aspect ratio are others.

Which platform?
Apps, apps, and more apps. Does it have the apps you require?

Extra features?
Dual cameras, keyboard dock, stylus input and full-sized USB ports are some features that vendors add to differentiate their products.

What Price?
Price is important. Warranty, track record, as well as service and support are things to consider when picking a tab.

About the OP
Surveycash is the Owner of
Income Legends Concepts
Forex traders, strategists & analysts
Importers of Consumer Electronics & Novelty items
Web administrators and developers
Business idea developers & strategists

1 Like

Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by bajugbajug(m): 8:10pm On Mar 21, 2013
Nice job u r doing. Will see u soon as I promised earlier
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 9:49pm On Mar 21, 2013
bajugbajug: Nice job u r doing. Will see u soon as I promised earlier

Thank you my Oga. I have some nice lovely tabs in stock.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by eyenCalabar(m): 10:07pm On Mar 21, 2013
If I may ask pls, how much would a tab with all those basic hardware features go for?
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 11:22pm On Mar 21, 2013
eyenCalabar: If I may ask pls, how much would a tab with all those basic hardware features go for?

We presently have in stock the 7'' Hot Selling Google itab with 3G SIM
Card Slot for 45, 000 naira only.

This is the ultra thin tablet pc the world has been waiting for, it comes
at a thickness of only 9mm. This tablet PC uses the latest Android OS
Version 4.0.4 - Ice Cream Sandwich.

The Android 4.0.4 enhances multi-tasking to a much easier and user friendly
level for better performance. This powerful 7 inch android tablet will blow
you away with its performance, low price tag and over design. Also, this
tablet is a very suitable machine for the user to browse website in a WIFI
environment and can be used as wireless hotspot for up to 5 devices

With a 1080p video resolution, 2MP back & 0.3M front cameras and a 1024*768
(4:3) IPS display the image is so sharp it may cut your retinas. Seriously,
the image is crystal clear.

What’s more, with its 5 point capacitive touch screen, 1GB RAM, 8GB
ROM + 16GB tf 1.5GHz processor, you won't have any problems surfing
the net,or reading emails. Are you a game person? This Bad boy of all Android Tablets comes
ready with supports for 3D games and wide range of video, audio and
document formats. Have you played Angry Bird or Temple Run? If you not
played them on this machine, you need to try it out. You can be sure all
your favorite media and important work will be able to be displayed on this
latest Android Tablet.

[img]http://dc682.4shared.com/img/bb3S4ZRk/s7/Google_itab_.jpg?async&0.9682076672516137[/img]

Why spend N160, 000 on iPad when there is better alternative. Get this
tablet at an introductory price of N49,999 only while stock last.

Highlights

- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- 5 point capacitive touch screen
- Massive 8GB internal memory + support for 32GB external memory
- 16GB Micro SD
- 1.5GHz All Winner cortex A8 processor
- Support 1080P video, can support max up 2160P video
- Ultra thin only 9mm
- Sleek Design Protective Leather case
- Dual Camera
- In-Built 3G with Phone Call
- Wireless Hotspot for up to 5 devices
- Accepts BIS Browsing

Thank you.

Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by ayanfeeledumare: 3:08am On Mar 22, 2013
u did not talk abt the after sales services like technical support and repairs if the tablet is faulty. I need to know d cost of Lenovo 7.0 16g, 1g Ram, sim card, USB or sd card slot e.t.c. I need the new one but if u av the fairly used ones , I will be ok. thanks.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 9:03am On Mar 22, 2013
ayanfeeledumare: u did not talk abt the after sales services like technical support and repairs if the tablet is faulty. I need to know d cost of Lenovo 7.0 16g, 1g Ram, sim card, USB or sd card slot e.t.c. I need the new one but if u av the fairly used ones , I will be ok. thanks.

Presently we don't repair but offer after-sales service like upgrades, apps and newsletters on the android market. We don't have the Lenovo but have Google itab that matches the spec you want. We have been selling this particular product for 6 months now without complains

Highlights

- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- 5 point capacitive touch screen
- Massive 8GB internal memory + support for 32GB external memory
- 16GB Micro SD
- 1.5GHz All Winner cortex A8 processor
- Support 1080P video, can support max up 2160P video
- Ultra thin only 9mm
- Sleek Design Protective Leather case
- Dual Camera
- In-Built 3G with Phone Call
- Wireless Hotspot for up to 5 devices
- Accepts BIS Browsing

Thank you. Hoping to do business with you.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by evantical: 8:25pm On Mar 23, 2013
it seems i luv this product.is it better than galaxy tab? Cuz iam considering that also. And doest it have camera flash. And show us a picture.how do i order one?tnks
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 11:52am On Mar 24, 2013
evantical: it seems i luv this product.is it better than galaxy tab? Cuz iam considering that also. And doest it have camera flash. And show us a picture.how do i order one?tnks

A I said earlier, some of the hardware features that you should take note of when looking at the specs include:

* Processor (number of cores and clock speed)- atleast 1.2ghz
* Screen resolution - from 800 x 1200
* Camera (rear and front-facing)- from 2mp
* Ports, video outputs, connectors - should have at least a 2.0 USB
* Wireless connectivity (3G/Wi-Fi) - from 2G to wifi hotspot enabled
* Stylus support - from 5 point capacitive
* Internal and expandable storage - from 8GB to 32GB expandable

Take a look @ the picture

Don't take my word for it. Check Jumia to confirm the galaxy tab prices.

1 Like

Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 1:36pm On Mar 25, 2013
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by ayanfeeledumare: 3:36am On Mar 28, 2013
I swear i must buy this Google tablet. I av got ur number. I am buying it becos it uses sim for browsing and its configuration.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 11:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
ayanfeeledumare: I swear i must buy this Google tablet. I av got ur number. I am buying it becos it uses sim for browsing and its configuration.

Thank you ayanfeeledumare. You'll love it.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 30, 2013
i really nid dis product... what is d battery life capacity??
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 9:38pm On Mar 30, 2013
deejay_harry1: i really nid dis product... what is d battery life capacity??

4-5hrs working, 18hrs standby
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by Nobody: 8:01pm On Mar 31, 2013
pls how much is d product??
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by ayanfeeledumare: 10:35pm On Mar 31, 2013
deejay_harry1: pls how much is d product??
your question shows u av not been following this thread.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 31, 2013
ayanfeeledumare:
your question shows u av not been following this thread.
i mearnt how much ixzit for real .... and yea i havnt folliwed d thread
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 5:32am On Apr 01, 2013
deejay_harry1: pls how much is d product??

The full package is N40k only.

1 Like

Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by ebiye55(m): 1:53pm On Apr 02, 2013
How can I reach you, am interested. Is the on-the-go cable included? Reach me on ezekielfirst@gmail.com

07039288585 (whatsapp)
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 9:04pm On Apr 02, 2013
ebiye55: How can I reach you, am interested. Is the on-the-go cable included? Reach me on ezekielfirst@gmail.com

07039288585 (whatsapp)

Thank you for your interest. You can reach me on 08050568713.
It comes with USB and OTG cable. The OTG cable can be used to connect Modem, flash, mouse or any USB peripheral.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by ayanfeeledumare: 6:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
i tried ur number as discussed but switched off. I need ur address and like to know how slim and the weight. You can reach me on 08028170296 or farinkay@yahoo.com. Urgent. Thanks
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by bigbash(m): 8:13am On Apr 05, 2013
@ survey cash I'm confused about the price, 49,999,45k, 40? Please which is which? Besides is it a new one? buying two ,
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by TrebleChamp(m): 12:25pm On Apr 05, 2013
@OP Is that the google nexus 7 tablet? cos am kinda confused here.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 2:39pm On Apr 05, 2013
ebiye55: How can I reach you, am interested. Is the on-the-go cable included? Reach me on ezekielfirst@gmail.com
07039288585 (whatsapp)

No man is an island of knowledge,n just learn that OTG = on-the-go, so it come with it sir. wink

ayanfeeledumare: i tried ur number as discussed but switched off. I need ur address and like to know how slim and the weight. You can reach me on 08028170296 or farinkay@yahoo.com. Urgent. Thanks

Thank you for your business ayanfeeledumare. I am sure you will love it. Pls refer your friends to us. Thank you.

bigbash: @ survey cash I'm confused about the price, 49,999,45k, 40? Please which is which? Besides is it a new one? buying two ,

Dont be confused Bigbash. The price is N40k, full options grin. We accept payment on delivery within Lagos so you can have a feel of what you are buying. I'll give you discount for 2 or more.

TrebleChamp: @OP Is that the google nexus 7 tablet? cos am kinda confused here.

No. This google itab, a very powerful machine comparable to galaxy tab2. We accept payment on delivery within Lagos so you can have a feel of what you are buying. Thank you for your business.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by ayanfeeledumare: 10:43am On Apr 12, 2013
Finally got it. Thank you Surveycash. I am enjoying and I love it.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 6:52pm On Apr 12, 2013
ayanfeeledumare: Finally got it. Thank you Surveycash. I am enjoying and I love it.

I am happy that you love it. Thank you for your business
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by ayanfeeledumare: 2:41pm On Apr 13, 2013
I introduced this i-tab to a friend and said he is interested. I av sent him ur number. I still have many others that r interested. call my number so that we can talk better.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 8:35pm On Apr 13, 2013
ayanfeeledumare: I introduced this i-tab to a friend and said he is interested. I av sent him ur number. I still have many others that r interested. call my number so that we can talk better.

Thank you sir.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by opeyemiz(m): 10:03am On Apr 17, 2013
Interested but not too comfortable with the battery life capacity.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 6:16pm On Apr 18, 2013
opeyemiz: Interested but not too comfortable with the battery life capacity.

That is the best you can get for tab of this spec as 7" cannot accommodate more than 3500mah battery. You can get a mobile power bank if you are a heavy user.
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by AgiliRon: 10:01am On Apr 19, 2013
Hello Friends,

The tablet computer market has come a long way since Apple introduced the iPad in early 2010. While the iPad wasn't the first tablet ever invented, its sleek design and successful marketing quickly made it the year's must-have item for gadget lovers, and the tremendous popularity of the iPad and iPad 2 has helped to make tablets the fastest growing segment of the personal computer market. Today, there are scores of different tablet models available from at least a dozen different manufacturers, and while all this choice is a good thing, it can also make selecting the right tablet seem like an impossible undertaking. With so many tablets on the market, there's sure to be one that fits your needs and your budget, but how do you find the one that's best for you? Read on to get our five tips for choosing the right tablet.

Thanks and Regards,
Agili Ron

agiliron.com
Re: How To Choose The Right Tablet To Buy by surveycash(m): 1:15am On Apr 21, 2013

You can now make payments online for your Google tab and get it shipped anywhere you are in Nigeria within 48hours maximum.

Click here to pay securely online;
http:///15t5NlY

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yahoo Messenger Not Working On My Laptop / How To Convert Your Powerpoint Presentation To A Video File / Tips For Staying Safe Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.