Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,447 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... (1303 Views)

"Mangu Arna" - An Insult To The Cultural Heritage Of Plateau Heritage / Most Frequently Used Insult In Nigeria / Can anyone explain what these mean in Edo Language? Thank you. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by angelbaby22(f): 5:35pm On Mar 21, 2013
Good afternoon nairalanders. I'm new to nairaland and would like to know what "consulting oracle" means and if I should be scared because I'm very confused the only thing that keeps coming to mind is the witch craft scenes you see in nigerian movies. I'm black british from another african country soon to be married to a nigerian guy (Yoruba). We have no problems in our relationship and I've grown to love his family dearly but an extended relative of his warned me about his family and mentioned this "oracle".

HELP!
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by CrazyMan(m): 6:44pm On Mar 22, 2013
angelbaby22: Good afternoon nairalanders. I'm new to nairaland and would like to know what "consulting oracle" means
An oracle is an utterance often ambiguous or obscure, given by a priest or priestess at a shrine as the response of a god to an inquiry.

Meaning I could build my own shrine and frame up words telling you its from the gods (eg, you're under a curse, you would die in 21 days time...etc), just to make you scared, then make you pay a required sum for possible vindication from those curses.

angelbaby22: and if I should be scared because I'm very confused the only thing that keeps coming to mind is the witch craft scenes you see in nigerian movies.
Scared of what...

An uneducated bushman, who collects woods, stones, leaves and bones of dead animals, utters some gibberish which you don't understand, then tells you that you're marked for death...surely as an educated person, you should be much wiser than this bush illiterate.

angelbaby22: I'm black british from another african country soon to be married to a nigerian guy (Yoruba). We have no problems in our relationship and I've grown to love his family dearly but an extended relative of his warned me about his family and mentioned this "oracle".
Instead of habouring worries which could eventually result in giving you a high blood pressure, why not ask this extended relative to throw more light on this "oracle" issue.

angelbaby22: HELP!
I've done my best...

1 Like

Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by NegroNtns(m): 6:44am On Mar 23, 2013
ORACLE. = ORISA

orisa > oreasa > oreaca > oraca > oracl > oracle > ..........
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:26pm On Mar 23, 2013
OP dont listen to the 2 MUMUS above me. what country and tribe are you from? Why cant you search for a man from your own tribe, instead of falling to base se.xual temptations and polluting the Tribal Genopool? angry angry angry

Yes Yorubas are into Traditional Religion and witchcraft (as you call it) will be part of your daily life, until you turn into a bat.

anywayz let me go back to your question. AN Oracle is like a prophecy in the Religious Shrines. People go there to find solutions to problems, etc. this is called consulting the oracle.
CrazyMan:
An oracle is an utterance often ambiguous or obscure, given by a priest or priestess at a shrine as the response of a god to an inquiry.

Meaning I could build my own shrine and frame up words telling you its from the gods (eg, you're under a curse, you would die in 21 days time...etc), just to make you scared, then make you pay a required sum for possible vindication from those curses.

dont listen to this xtian man-worshipper. he has never been near a shrine, forget oracle. he has been worshipping his israeli slave masters since birth. the tribeless half-bred ni66er.
consulting the oracle is far more complicated and requires training in under a Babalawo Teacher/Guru. It is done by consulting Ifa.

Scared of what...

An uneducated bushman, who collects woods, stones, leaves and bones of dead animals, utters some gibberish which you don't understand, then tells you that you're marked for death...surely as an educated person, you should be much wiser than this bush illiterate.

this illierate man-worshipper probably doesnt realise that the very laptop he is using was probably made by Pagan Japanese. that the numbers he uses and the science he studies was invented by Pagan scholars and philosophers 1000s of years ago. all he knows is to talk nonsense about sticks and stones and how to r.ape innocent children in church.

I've done my best...

he has done his worst.
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by ifyalways(f): 2:43pm On Mar 23, 2013
angelbaby22: Good afternoon nairalanders. I'm new to nairaland and would like to know what "consulting oracle" means and if I should be scared because I'm very confused the only thing that keeps coming to mind is the witch craft scenes you see in nigerian movies. I'm black british from another african country soon to be married to a nigerian guy (Yoruba). We have no problems in our relationship and I've grown to love his family dearly but an extended relative of his warned me about his family and mentioned this "oracle".

HELP!
An oracle is the mouthpiece of the gods.
It can predict the future,give counsel and prophesies.Its not an African thing as there are oracles,priests and priestesses in places like China,Greek,Hawaii,Caribbeans.

You have nothing to worry about really if your man does not practice ATR.
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:16pm On Mar 23, 2013
even the Kaaba in Mecca, towards which muslims pray, had an Oracle in the days of Jahiliya, known as the Kahin.
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by angelbaby22(f): 9:00pm On Mar 23, 2013
You say there was an oracle in the days of Jahilliyah (days of ignorance) there were many atrocities those times as this was before Islam, during which the arabs were ignorant of Allah, His Messengers and His laws, and were boastful of their ancestral nobility, arrogant, ruthless and the like. What worries me is that such evil might still be rampant in this day and age. As my fiancé is the only boy in the family of course he would be oblivious to any such things as it is probably discussed amongst women I'd expect his sisters would know more but he's refused me to ask any of them as it might cause family problems which I understand and respect.
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by CrazyMan(m): 9:12pm On Mar 23, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
dont listen to this xtian man-worshipper. he has never been near a shrine, forget oracle. he has been worshipping his israeli slave masters since birth. the tribeless half-bred ni66er.
consulting the oracle is far more complicated and requires training in under a Babalawo Teacher/Guru. It is done by consulting Ifa.
And you who knows how to consult an oracle, how many have you consulted? what good has it brought you?

How many of them have you conjured to intervain in Nigeria's situation?

PAGAN 9JA:
this illierate man-worshipper probably doesnt realise that the very laptop he is using was probably made by Pagan Japanese, that the numbers he uses and the science he studies was invented by Pagan scholars and philosophers 1000s of years ago.
What has the @OP question about oracle got to do with Japanese, science and laptops...if you have nothing sensible to post, keep shut and stop derailing this thread...

PAGAN 9JA:
all he knows is to talk nonsense about sticks and stones and how to r.ape innocent children in church.
Illiteracy is a disease...where in my post did you see me advocating the r.pae of innocent children?

I would suggest that you seek out for basic primary education and quit exposing your illiteracy on this forum...I don't have time to exchange words with kids..
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by angelbaby22(f): 9:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
Illiteracy is a disease...where in my post did you see me advocating the r.pae of children?

@crazy man my remedy for stupidity is silence, skip over the idiocy and get to the parts the display common sense not everything is worth your time. Your knowledge on the topic was very much appreciated.
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
angelbaby22: You say there was an oracle in the days of Jahilliyah (days of ignorance) there were many atrocities those times as this was before Islam, during which the arabs were ignorant of Allah, His Messengers and His laws, and were boastful of their ancestral nobility, arrogant, ruthless and the like. What worries me is that such evil might still be rampant in this day and age. As my fiancé is the only boy in the family of course he would be oblivious to any such things as it is probably discussed amongst women I'd expect his sisters would know more but he's refused me to ask any of them as it might cause family problems which I understand and respect.

hey daft woman. was your highness present during the days of Jahilliyah? how then do you assume that the Arabs were evil folk back then. if anything they were the exact opposite. the Arabs of today are the ones gone wrong as the daily news bears witness.
the only reason you say this is because it was said so in the Quraan, a book filled with lies such as we being made of clay and descended from adam & eve and a boat with animals and all this useless fairytales.
this lie was clearly put forth by muhammad to gain converts and demean the Pagan Arabs. are you saying the Arabs were the only ethnic group backward at atime when the rest of the world was progressing in all fields? have you noticed that the Quraan doesnt mention 1 good thing about the pre-islamic Arabs? how can this be so? IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! there has to be atleast some good things about them. TThe Quraan doesnt mention anything good about them. This clearly proves how biased the Quraan is and how untrustworthy can its words be.
what do you mean by ancestral nobility? How igorant of you. You have never been to the Gulf like me. You dont know how much they still set store by their tribal ancestry and ancestors even today, and claim descent from famous lineages and ancestors to evoke their status. you have no f****ing idea.
Re: No Insult Intended Can Someone Explain What "Oracle" Is... by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:13pm On Mar 23, 2013
CrazyMan:
And you who knows how to consult an oracle, how many have you consulted? what good has it brought you?

How many of them have you conjured to intervain in Nigeria's situation?

please mind your own business and dont interfere into my personal matters.

What has the @OP question about oracle got to do with Japanese, science and laptops...if you have nothing sensible to post, keep shut and stop derailing this thread...

hey st.upid shut up! you are the one who is derailing the thread and prompting me to evoke the greatness of the Pagans.it is you who have called my people illiterate bushmen. so i had to reming you of how your very existnce depends on us Pagans.

Illiteracy is a disease...where in my post did you see me advocating the r.pae of innocent children?
im just giving an example of your own religions backwardness and illiteracy . .

I would suggest that you seek out for basic primary education and quit exposing your illiteracy on this forum...I don't have time to exchange words with kids..

ofcourse you dont have time. you need a lot of time to come up with a reply, more so that it seems you dont have any reply to the things i have said.

angelbaby22:

Illiteracy is a disease...where in my post did you see me advocating the r.pae of children?

@crazy man my remedy for stupidity is silence, skip over the idiocy and get to the parts the display common sense not everything is worth your time. Your knowledge on the topic was very much appreciated.

OP cut the idiocity. next time dont post topics or instigate my religiion on the public forum if you dont want to expect truths , facts and backlashes.
LMAO @ his "knowledge" on the topic. how stu.pid of you.

(1) (Reply)

Fire Brigade Appear At Shango Festival In USA / Very Colourful Pictures From Historical Ceremony From The Benin Kingdom Today. E / I Noticed Delta Igbos Have That Wafi Attitude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.