Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards (3992 Views)

The Return of NPFL Nite Matches - The Enugu Rangers Experience (Pictures) / FIFA Tells Nigerian Referees To Forget Officiating At World Cup / NFF Sends Elite Referees To England (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by honeric01(m): 4:33am On Mar 22, 2013
Nigeria League match officials say they are considering hiring the services of private bodyguards

Posted: 18 March 2013 Time: 01:20 pm

Print this article
As Nigeria's chequered 2012/2013 League season enters it's second week this Wednesday, match officials say they are considering hiring the services of private bodyguards.

CLICK HERE to WIN an iPad mini – and one for your friend!

Nigerian league venues have long been considered unsafe, especially when results do not favour the home teams, with referees usually targeted for particular, violent attention.

While the first week of competition passed without incident, officials remain wary of the threat of potential violence, as evidenced by the vicious, karate-style variety unleashed on Gabriel Adigwe in Enugu and captured on live television, by people suspected to be fans of Heartland FC.

"We have our BlackBerry Messenger group where some of us discuss issues and one of the things we have talked about is getting private security to protect us," one prominent referee, who did not wish to be named, told KickOffNigeria.com.

"Referees are always getting beaten up at matches, and most times, the clubs know the people responsible and even allow them on the pitch or in the referees' dressing room.

"It is difficult to do a good job as a referee when you are not sure of your safety.

"So don't be surprised if at some point this season, you see some referees travel with well-equipped bodyguards from these private security companies to match venues.

"We will pay them out of our pockets, even if it means using the match indemnities to do so."

And in a frank admission of the state of the game, a second referee admitted that clubs offer bribes to match officials.

"Many referees take the money because they have to 'settle' people.

"That is why you see some referees get more games than others who are more competent and unbiased.

"In fact, clubs reject certain referees for their home games because they feel that they will get no advantage, but they celebrate when they see these unbiased referees at their away games."

The referee added that match officials are sometimes put on the spot by club officials, "These officials usually collect money from their bosses, and tell them that the referee has been 'settled'.

"When things don't go their way, their fans take it out on the referee believing he cheated them, or took more money from the opposing team.

"It is a no win situation.

"But corruption in football is just a reflection of the wider problems in the Nigerian society, so it would be unfair to blame just the referees," he said.

Article by: Colin Udoh

http://www.kickoff.com/news/33347/nigeria-league-match-officials-say-they-are-considering-hiring-the-services-of-private-bodyguards

Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by instaforexngr(m): 4:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
ist to comment
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by momodub: 4:03pm On Mar 22, 2013
smileywhy now? when we begin to dey enjoy our leage them wan spoil am for us shocked
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by tunapa4dem: 4:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
my oga @ the top will hear about this information.
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by Kaxmytex(m): 4:05pm On Mar 22, 2013
[size=28pt]i b warri wolve fan and i'm also a bodyguard 2 a ref...dis same ref kum award 1 useless p.k against my club,..
O boi...d kynd beating wey i go give d ref no b here o..
Infact,i go beat am 2 d xtent of making am cripple
[/size]
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by Afam4eva(m): 4:05pm On Mar 22, 2013
[size=13pt]The day i saw what Enyimba fans did to a referee was the day i started pitying for them. They need to be protected but they aalso need to protecting themselves by not making ridiculous calls especially against home teams.[/size]
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2013
My Oga at the top, Howard Webb, must hear this..
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by Cmoyor: 4:11pm On Mar 22, 2013
Insecurity @ its peak
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by huninaija(f): 4:14pm On Mar 22, 2013
Won't that make matters worse? Most of these fans are Agberos anyways!
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by OO7: 4:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
but like seriously? hmmmm... naija my country
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by vision2050: 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2013
Most ref are biase..... Wetin naija club wan do for clattenburg or webb?. All this agbero supportter should far away to be a spectator.
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by dahdah: 4:33pm On Mar 22, 2013
.Nigeria League where u don't win away from home..
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by Born2beRich1(m): 4:37pm On Mar 22, 2013
Does Howard webb have a body guard
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by RedLight1: 4:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
i think any team or fanz of any team that attack the ref should be relegated ..that will serve as a serious lesson
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by nbright: 4:47pm On Mar 22, 2013
private bodyguards without guns.... This will be a disaster... A very big disaster in the making...
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by naptu2: 5:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
I remember the day I saw fans chase policemen out of the stadium at the Onikan Waterfront. One policeman scaled the white wire-mesh fence and escaped. His colleague was not fast enough and the fans over powered him and beat hell out of him.
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by bornosheikh: 8:13pm On Mar 22, 2013
Making ridiculous calls especially against home teams.

referee only for home team abi!
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by Onyenna(m): 10:22am On Mar 23, 2013
Like.....WTF!!!
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by Onyenna(m): 10:22am On Mar 23, 2013
naptu2: I remember the day I saw fans chase policemen out of the stadium at the Onikan Waterfront. One policeman scaled the white wire-mesh fence and escaped. His colleague was not fast enough and the fans over powered him and beat hell out of him.

Shoooooo!!! This is Serious oooh!!!
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by novaman: 1:15pm On Mar 23, 2013
It is very simply to stop match venue violence, simple get the clubs to sign an undertaking that states that any slight record of violence in the venue will attract nothing less than a minimum of 10match points, even if they have not even played 10 matches, that amounts to 30-points, even if they are religated before the violence occured, they will carry over the purnishment to the lower tier, and if they transfer the ownership of the club to new owners, they penalty continues; with these measures, even the clubs will do anything they can to even protect the referee and the visiting team. I love the Nigeria league and I want the league to grow.
Re: NPFL Referees To Get Bodyguards by bigfat07: 4:51pm On Mar 23, 2013
[size=15pt]CAN I APPLY AND RE- APPLY ?[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Now 52nd In FIFA World Rankings / Help: Is This Kelechi Iheanacho ? / Top 10 Most Expensive Cars Of Footballers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.