Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Does God Really Exist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Really Exist? (2541 Views)

Does God Really Exist? What Makes You Believe? / Did God Really Write The Bible? / Do Aliens and Vampires Really Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does God Really Exist? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 10:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
Okay, I know this question sounds stupid but i beg you guys to hear my case first. I am asking this because of an event that happened yesterday at the place I reside.
I was up studying in the early hours of the morning when I heard heavy prayers from the neighbours next door. It was a family of just three; the man, his wife and their three months old baby. Their baby had fallen ill the previous week and the situation had become worse on this particular day (this is actually their third child, two have already died before). According to the mother, she woke up to find out that the baby was becoming extremely cold. She woke the husband and they started to pray immediately (I don't know why they decided this was the best thing to do). They prayed for close to two hours without getting any significant result. It wasn't long before I heard the woman scream '' make una come help me oo, my pikin wan die again'' the neighbours head her cries and most of them rushed outside making frantic effort to save the child's life. Thankfully, they were able to avert yet another death. These are my questions
*Does God exist?
* If God exists, why did He refuse to hear the prayers of the couple?
* Does God not perform miracles anymore?
* or is this a test to see if they would lose faith?(they might have not lost theirs but mine is becoming shaky)
Re: Does God Really Exist? by johnwizey: 10:58pm On Mar 23, 2013
Na u sabi o
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Tpave(m): 11:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
can't you see for urself that he exists?
Re: Does God Really Exist? by dopeJemi: 11:21pm On Mar 23, 2013

Listen.. U can't question God, nobody can.. God gave dem d chiLd/chiLdren in d first pLace. He knows wah He is doing, Let God do His thing and u'lL testify abt his miracuLous works and goodness at d End of it alL
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
dopeJemi:

Listen.. U can't question God, nobody can.. God gave dem d chiLd/chiLdren in d first pLace. He knows wah He is doing, Let God do His thing and u'lL testify abt his miracuLous works and goodness at d End of it alL

Y cant you question the bible god? Unless you are a slave,then i would understand you cannot question your master. Even slaves loves to be freed. Pls seek freedom from your sky god!
Re: Does God Really Exist? by code9(m): 11:29pm On Mar 23, 2013
You think the God who kept alive the people that saved the child is a fool ? angry Be guided in your thoughts. I'll commit you in tonight's prayer
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 23, 2013
code9: You think the God who kept alive the people that saved the child is a fool ? angry Be guided in your thoughts. I'll commit you in tonight's prayer

Y must only good things be attributed to "God" ? Where was this deity during ww2,slavery and natural disasters ? Can you summon his/her to save the hungry and hopeless kids in remote parts of the world? A good Shepard takes care of every single sheep. Is yahweh dead?
Re: Does God Really Exist? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:24am On Mar 24, 2013
johnwizey: Na u sabi o
na me sabi? It was just a harmless question.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:38am On Mar 24, 2013
Tpave: can't you see for urself that he exists?
honestly, I haven't seen anything yet. What makes you so sure of His existence?
Re: Does God Really Exist? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:52am On Mar 24, 2013
dopeJemi:

I'm not questioning God. only asking questions. Why give them them the children in the first place only to have them die later. I just don't understand these things.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:09am On Mar 24, 2013
code9: You think the God who kept alive the people that saved the child is a fool ? angry Be guided in your thoughts. I'll commit you in tonight's prayer
They were praying for a miracle and got nothing. You should have heard them while they were praying, so expectant but yet getting nothing.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by moneyhungry(m): 2:01am On Mar 24, 2013
dopeJemi:

xtains will always make excuses for their God!
dats fvking annoying! stop!
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 3:23am On Mar 24, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
Okay, I know this question sounds stupid but i beg you guys to hear my case first. I am asking this because of an event that happened yesterday at the place I reside.
I was up studying in the early hours of the morning when I heard heavy prayers from the neighbours next door. It was a family of just three; the man, his wife and their three months old baby. Their baby had fallen ill the previous week and the situation had become worse on this particular day (this is actually their third child, two have already died before). According to the mother, she woke up to find out that the baby was becoming extremely cold. She woke the husband and they started to pray immediately (I don't know why they decided this was the best thing to do). They prayed for close to two hours without getting any significant result. It wasn't long before I heard the woman scream '' make una come help me oo, my pikin wan die again'' the neighbours head her cries and most of them rushed outside making frantic effort to save the child's life. Thankfully, they were able to avert yet another death.

Sad story. I'm glad for them that they didn't have to deal with another tragedy.

However, this story typifies the state of many believers who have not fully appreciated the meaning of being in the world and not of it, or using the world and not abusing it. Ordinarily, the parents should have sought medical help immediately. It would not have prevented them from praying. But perhaps a wrong grasp of Scripture was responsinle for their neglecting to do that. As the Scriptures say, my people perish for lack of knowledge.

Finally, it is a real pity that any thinking person should regard God's existence as questionable only on the strength of the reality of tragedies. That is tragic in itself because it suggests that God exists only to prevent or cancel out pain which is a really curious assumption. If God exists at all, it makes all the sense in the world that pain exists because pain tells you that there is something better to reach for. And the word 'better' exists because there is such a thing as the Absolute, the very best in condition, that pain tells you to reach for. 'Better' speaks of graduation towards that best which is God. If God doesn't exist, what is pain?

These are my questions
*Does God exist?

Would you take my word for it?

* If God exists, why did He refuse to hear the prayers of the couple?

Why do you assume that He refused?

* Does God not perform miracles anymore?

Would you take my word for it?

* or is this a test to see if they would lose faith?(they might have not lost theirs but mine is becoming shaky)

Perhaps it was a test to grow their faith, perhaps it was a test to show you if your own faith was real. Does God have the right to do things according to His inscrutable Wisdom and explain Himself to you only when He decides that you are best served to know?

4 Likes

Re: Does God Really Exist? by moneyhungry(m): 9:00am On Mar 24, 2013
^^^^
*yawns*
bull/$hit, same ol' story.

1 Like

Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 24, 2013
God doesn't exists.....even if he does he is highly insignificant to us.....he is as good as useless!
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 9:49am On Mar 24, 2013
For me, He does. The devil makes us think otherwise. God says in every situation, we should give Him thanks.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by ooman(m): 9:52am On Mar 24, 2013
[size=15pt]NO GOD ANYWHERE[/size]
Re: Does God Really Exist? by mbaemeka(m): 10:05am On Mar 24, 2013
So many times and in many situations Gods children find themselves looking for the spectacular thereby missing the supernatural. What's to say that if the child was taken immediately to the hospital he/she wouldn't have died? That's the same rigmarolic answer there.

Parents prayed, neighbors came, the child survived and yet you can't see that something miraculous took place? Would you have rathered that the child cough seven times then immediately warm up? That's a carnal way of thinking. . .no offence.

At some point Jesus commanded straight healings for blind people and at some other point he spat on the floor, made clay and still used it to heal a blind man.

Let him bother about the way (spectacular healings, use of doctors, neighbors etc) all I want to see is the result and in this case the child survived. Shikena!

God be praised!

1 Like

Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 24, 2013
They were praying for a miracle and got nothing. You should have heard them while they were praying, so expectant but yet getting nothing.
who told you they got nothing? Do you know what would have happened if they didn't pray before shouting for help?? #God work in a mysterious way#
Re: Does God Really Exist? by victorNRceo: 11:23am On Mar 24, 2013
Richard branson(an atheist & famous billionaire) has escaped death a number of times in this extremely dangerous adventures. Who saved him? A lot of religious folks will say their god was involved n got a purpose,I systematically refute that,religious books holds that its god depart from souls(people) that ain't on its side(this refute every excuses of any sort).

The feeling for god is driven by one's need for protection
And emotional concern to appreciate mysterious beneficiary impact of natural forces(circular human needs;wind,body system etc) of the universe.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by manmustwac(m): 12:14pm On Mar 24, 2013
As far as am concerned God can't answer prayers because don't exist. That's why when the parents realized that their prayers wasn't working decided to shout & draw the attention of their neighbours who helped saved their baby
Re: Does God Really Exist? by victorNRceo: 12:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
Jide Macaulay(naija's gay pastor) felt the ^(ma post),he felt the need to appreciate the way he is,so he attributed is feelings to the Christian god since he believes in a god,regardless of the bibles disapproval.

The prophecies/promises in religious books are mere wishes and imagination(preferably,vision,to many) of men,make a vast research on it fulfilment and u will find it's inaccuracy and non-fulfilment(like u(inspiredbyGod) witnessed).
Vastly Open ur mind and contend religious creed to occurrence(historical or wareva),one don't necessarily need science theories to question the god perception. Wareva ur outcome,afterwards research,make of it as u wish.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by victorNRceo: 12:24pm On Mar 24, 2013
manmustwac: As far as am concerned God can't answer prayers because don't exist. That's why when the parents realized that their prayers wasn't working decided to shout & draw the attention of their neighbours who helped saved their baby
Lol
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 24, 2013
money-hungry :
^^^^
*yawns*
bull/$hit, same ol' story.

Y A W N

NEXT!!!
Re: Does God Really Exist? by dopeJemi: 1:59pm On Mar 24, 2013

u atheists r just alL over d pLace.. Let d christians be 4 christ sake.. We've heard u, ur god does not exist buh our God exists, does it hurt u guys so much when we worship and calL Him.. We Didn't beg u guys 2 convince us.. PLs pLs and pLs, Let us Be, what we beLieve in has nothing 2 do with u, its our biz not urs
Re: Does God Really Exist? by BecaciaBarbie(f): 2:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
dopeJemi:

u atheists r just alL over d pLace.. Let d christians be 4 christ sake.. We've heard u, ur god does not exist buh our God exists, does it hurt u guys so much when we worship and calL Him.. We Didn't beg u guys 2 convince us.. PLs pLs and pLs, Let us Be, what we beLieve in has nothing 2 do with u, its our biz not urs
i tire o!
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Areaboy2(m): 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Sad story. I'm glad for them that they didn't have to deal with another tragedy.

However, this story typifies the state of many believers who have not fully appreciated the meaning of being in the world and not of it, or using the world and not abusing it. Ordinarily, the parents should have sought medical help immediately. It would not have prevented them from praying. But perhaps a wrong grasp of Scripture was responsinle for their neglecting to do that. As the Scriptures say, my people perish for lack of knowledge.

Finally, it is a real pity that any thinking person should regard God's existence as questionable only on the strength of the reality of tragedies. That is tragic in itself because it suggests that God exists only to prevent or cancel out pain which is a really curious assumption. If God exists at all, it makes all the sense in the world that pain exists because pain tells you that there is something better to reach for. And the word 'better' exists because there is such a thing as the Absolute, the very best in condition, that pain tells you to reach for. 'Better' speaks of graduation towards that best which is God. If God doesn't exist, what is pain?

I'll take only the bolded and elaborate on it how this particular way of thinking was the ignition of me losing my faith in Christianity or any form of organised religion.o

Back in the late part of secondary school and early first year in university in Naija, I used to be in the scripture union. We always had a policy we went by which was fairly simple and made a lot of sense if you don't think profoundly about it.

"Pray like it all depends on prayer, and study like it all depends on studying". This quote clearly contradicts itself but I wouldn't want to go down that line of argument for now. Basically what we are looking at here is two different actions that will give the same result (success in exams) if combined. what it doesn't make clear is the chance that either of the actions may actually be give the same result without the other or fail without the other.

much later when my faith was slipping, I studied for my exams like I always did without any prayer and my results came out at the same average i normally have. I wasn't bold enough to try praying alone without studying but we all know how that would have ended.

I asked myself, If prayer alone will surely fail me in my school but studying alone keeps me going then what was the point of prayer? Quickly my scripture union mindset directed me to the Lords prayer...

"Thy will be done".

This single phrase alone makes every form of "request" prayer pointless and useless. All we needed to do was give thanks and move on. So, in everything we should give thanks. Basically if you lose all your kids to disease and death, all you should to is thank god. This presented another problem to me, "He loves me, will lift me up, will protect me form every evil.....etc".. Why then do people that believe in him with all their heart still have terrible things happen to them? the questions become endless.

Until I began to take an objective view of the word without all that has been indoctrinated in me all my life did I start to see the problems involved in believing in the Christian god particularly. etc...

Before I get carried away with my life and how I lost my faith, I just want to add something to the sad story above. The family got indoctrinated to believe that they can "ask" and it shall be given, "seek" and they shall find, "knock" and the door will be opened, "bind" on earth and it will be bound in heaven.. "where two or three are gathered in his name that he will be present".

With all these, I can clearly see why grown adults will put their infant child's life at risk by uttering gibberish for TWO HOURS rather than running down to a clinic. Sad undecided

I'm not here to tell you whether god does exist or not. I can only encourage you to drop all prejudice and observe all around you with an objective mind. whatever conclusion you come up with is fine, as long as you are deeply honest to yourself.

I for one will tell you the biblical god was made up by men just like us here but a little more ignorant than we are just to control more men like others that are even more ignorant. Is our idea of a "GOD" flawed? I strongly think so.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 24, 2013
I'm not questioning God. only asking questions. Why give them them the children in the first place only to have them die later. I just don't understand these things.
Not all kids come from God, the devil has a way of possessing Gods creation in the womb and sometyms give children he has little powers too. The question is that, how did d couple get there kids, n wat is there family background like?
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 24, 2013
@Area boy

The beginning and end of the "disbeliever's" trouble with God is that He won't fit the little boxes man makes for Him. Whether or not you believe that God exists, I'm sure you appreciate the concept of Necessity and that of Contingency. If God exists, He'd be a Necessary Being rather than a Contingent Being. That means that He would not do or undo, say or un-say, anything at all, literally exist at all at anyone's behest. Everything would exist at His behest instead.

That means that arguments against His existence that are built upon the idea that God exists for man's convenience are essentially non-arguments. They create a definition of God that suits their purpose and proceed to attack it.

Yahweh is held by the Christian to be not only Sustainer of Life but Sovereign Lord of it as well. The Christian believes that he can trust God in and for everything. The Christian holds that he does not know everything nor does he understand everything but that God does and that God can be taken at His Word. For this reason, he holds that whatever he may go through, there is a good reason which he will learn at some point for which he must endure or enjoy it, as the case may be.

The Christian does not think that God exists for his convenience. In fact, he does not think that God exists for him at all. He is positive that it is he himself who exists for God, that his being is contingent upon God's Own. That is how the picture is. So he does not pray to make God do things that suit his convenience. He prays to get into agreement with God's Will about his life. Since he believes that God knows everything and understands everything and that God has a good end in mind for him and also that God has given him the choice to cooperate with Him in achieving God's End for him or resist Him, the whole point of prayer for him is communication with God, to share his desires and hopes with Him and have Him share His Own Desires and Hopes with him. By this, he will learn steadily to cooperate with God toward achieving God's Dreams for him. The Christian does not consider prayer to be a magic wand that gives him anything he thinks is good for him. He thinks of it as hanging out with a really good friend, dad and comrade. All that is what God is to the Christian.

So it is erroneous to treat prayer like a tool of God-persuasion which results either in getting what you want and thus proving something about God to you or in not getting it and thus proving another. That is what aliens to the House of God do, not what children of the House do.
Re: Does God Really Exist? by onyfrank: 4:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
ooman: [size=15pt]NO GOD ANYWHERE[/size]
. Do u mean dat i myself dnt exist?
Where I am God is, wherever God is I am.

1 Like

Re: Does God Really Exist? by moneyhungry(m): 5:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
onyfrank: . Do u mean dat i myself dnt exist?
shut up n sit down!
Re: Does God Really Exist? by Delafruita(m): 5:58pm On Mar 24, 2013
onyfrank: . Do u mean dat i myself dnt exist?
idiotic

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Read Rhapsody Of Realities Daily / Islamists In Libya Execute 16 Christians Who Refused To Convert To Islam / Atheist Convention In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.