Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 (25617 Views)

Why You Shouldn't Use Your Phone In A Toilet Again / SCARY VIDEO CLIP: Why You Shouldn't Buy A Hoverboard!!! / Samsung S3 vs Tecno Phantom A (f7) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by mavtrevor(m): 12:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
The Samsung galaxy S4 is indeed an awesome phone with new features, Samsung is really trying to sell us Software-added value than hardware, if you compare the Samsung galaxy S4 and S3 you won't notice much difference in hardware but great difference in software, Samsung is trying to push the Samsung experience via their software innovations, but is this enough to abandon the S3 that was released not more than a year ago for the S4? In another few months who knows maybe the S5 series will be rolled out and so on....

If you already own a Samsung Galaxy S3 i dont see the need to go for the S4 since all the new features of the S4 will be made available on the S3 via updates. Click here to see more reasons not to buy the Samsung galaxy S4 especially if you already own the Samsung galaxy S3.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by lockheed55(m): 2:25pm On Mar 25, 2013
cool. hope to get me some s4 someday since i don have an s3 somenow
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by mavtrevor(m): 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2013
S4 is definitely going to be one of the best devices of the year 2013. But the article is for those that already have an S3, they wont have to abandon their S3 for an S4 since they will be getting the same features via updates.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 6:53pm On Mar 25, 2013
mavtrevor: The Samsung galaxy S4 is indeed an awesome phone with new features, Samsung is really trying to sell us Software-added value than hardware, if you compare the Samsung galaxy S4 and S3 you won't notice much difference in hardware but great difference in software, Samsung is trying to push the Samsung experience via their software innovations, but is this enough to abandon the S3 that was released not more than a year ago for the S4? In another few months who knows maybe the S5 series will be rolled out and so on....

If you already own a Samsung Galaxy S3 i dont see the need to go for the S4 since all the new features of the S4 will be made available on the S3 via updates. Click here to see more reasons not to buy the Samsung galaxy S4 especially if you already own the Samsung galaxy S3.

There's no way you'll get all the features. Some camera features are hardware dependent, there's no IR blaster

Anyone saying there isn't much difference between the S3 and S4 when it comes to hardware needs to get their head examined.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by civilserva: 9:43pm On Mar 25, 2013
texazzpete:

There's no way you'll get all the features. Some camera features are hardware dependent, there's no IR blaster

Anyone saying there isn't much difference between the S3 and S4 when it comes to hardware needs to get their head examined.

You need to get ur own head examined as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by mavtrevor(m): 10:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
texazzpete:

If you read the article you will notice there are no much differences between the S3 and S4 when it comes to hardware, Samsung has decided to add more value to software than hardware, in a few months from now another series of the phone maybe S5 will come out, so people will end up having the S3, S4 and S5 then.... Since Samsung will also provide those features via updates i dont see any reason why people should be extorted always.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by Francheezy(m): 10:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
tnx,...........datz tru
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by rainmaker12(m): 11:36pm On Mar 25, 2013
following hardware....u ll b lost. Octa Vs quad r just name. no significant speed diff. software s d only diff Feature, wich i Know dat wit time 'xda bitches' ll Port in those so called Features 2 s3.(dont expect it in any Update, Samsung ll NEVER give u s4 feature on ur s3)
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 7:37am On Mar 26, 2013
mavtrevor:

If you read the article you will notice there are no much differences between the S3 and S4 when it comes to hardware, Samsung has decided to add more value to software than hardware, in a few months from now another series of the phone maybe S5 will come out, so people will end up having the S3, S4 and S5 then.... Since Samsung will also provide those features via updates i dont see any reason why people should be extorted always.

Why do I need to read the article when I watched the damn keynote myself?

Hardware differences?

1) Screen is bigger
2) Resolution increased from 720p to 1080p. Viewing angles and brightness increased
3) RAM doubled from the 1GB in the international version of the S3 (basically nearly every SGS 3 user outside the US)
4) GPU upgraded, much better gaming performance than the Mali 400 in the International S3 and FAR better than the Adreno 225 in the US Galaxy S 3
5) CPU improved. Much more powerful than both models of the S3
6) Front and rear camera improved. 13MP rear camera vs 8MP in the S3, 2.1 MP front camera vs 1.3 MP. Front camera gives wide angle view, better low light performance
7) Screen now compatible with gloves and any pointy object. Uses same touch sensitive screen tech from Synaptics as the Lumia 920 introduced
cool Infrared blaster integrated to control your entire home theater. Compatible with your TV, DSTV, Bluray player etc etc
9) Faster RAM module used in the S4 vs S3. Faster performance all round.
10) Bigger battery
11) Octa core models have 4 lower power CPUs for light loads, promises significant battery savings

I just reeled this off the top of my head...You were saying?

9 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 7:42am On Mar 26, 2013
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I just read the article...and I see you wrote it. With such gems like

'You won't be able to notice the difference in Camera quality between the S3 and S4 if you are not told'

'extra RAM makes the phone faster not the processor upgrade'

'The Samsung Galaxy S4 is just 2600mAh as against 2100mAh of the Samsung Galaxy S3 which means a longer lasting time, yet every battery will still run out if it is not recharged'

I hope you aren't planning to give up your day job?

You have wasted my time. angry
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:52am On Mar 26, 2013
but how can you say there is no difference in a S3 and S4?

is there also no difference in a Note 1 and Note 2?

this is what im always saying about people who start FUD campaigns. they should be shot

So u actually believed the FUD crap so much that you can say this type of thing?

the battery is "just" 2600mAh?
The Processor is not faster?
The screen isnt better?

so because they look alike means they are not different?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by ibietela2(m): 8:11am On Mar 26, 2013
Oga desmond you are in trouble tongue
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by jedisco(m): 9:04am On Mar 26, 2013
@op what you don't get is that the S4 was not necessarily made for S3 users. Most people use their phones for about 2 years. This is mainly targeted ar S2 users. However, it's still a solid upgrade to the S3 if you're looking to upgrade.

Also, I don't see why you're surprised at the timing of its release when you should have been expecting it. Most flagships are upgraded yearly around specific times and this fits into its schedule just like the note 3 and a new iPhone are being expected later this year.

Lastly, you shouldn't be asking for hardware differences between the two. If you add the fact that the S4 has a better design and added sensors for temperature and pressure to texs list, your question should be: CONSIDERING THE HARDWARE, IN WHAT WAYS HAS THE S4 NOT SURPASSED THE S3?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 9:28am On Mar 26, 2013
jedisco: If you add the fact that the S4 has a better design and added sensors for temperature and pressure to texs list, your question should be: CONSIDERING THE HARDWARE, IN WHAT WAYS HAS THE S4 NOT SURPASSED THE S3?

I can't believe I forgot those sensors in my list! Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by rainmaker12(m): 11:19am On Mar 26, 2013
wit all These so called Suppliments, Wat is d significant changes in speed n camera? Sensor no sensor, cpu no cpu, GPU no gpu, camera no camera, screen no screen, are these changes major? U cant even distinguise between them, if Not screen size. These changes arent enormores so abandon s3 4 s4. xcept u want it 4 luxry. S2 to s3 we saw big difference. Yes! its worth d upgrade..... Major Feature arent drastically upgraded. Wich s processor,camera,ppi nd overall physical look. If u cant tell speed diff. nd camera quality, y d upgrade. s4 camera Feature r just dere to confuse d public. We take better pics wit our s3 too witout dose features, so..... y waste d cash............ If Not for TRENDS. ('IM using d latest'), notin more.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by mavtrevor(m): 11:52am On Mar 26, 2013
Most of you are talking as tech heads and i understand your positions, but how will an average mobile phone user understand the differences? someone spent some money less than a year ago to buy an S3 and now there is an S4 with no major difference and soon there will be an S5 lolz, most of the differences are software-based and if its so i wont be surprised when the S4 features will be ported into S3. In the article i didn't mention S2 because S2 and S4 are worlds apart but S4 is not that far with S3.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by rainmaker12(m): 12:15pm On Mar 26, 2013
atall
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by jedisco(m): 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
rainmaker12: wit all These so called Suppliments, Wat is d significant changes in speed n camera? Sensor no sensor, cpu no cpu, GPU no gpu, camera no camera, screen no screen, are these changes major? U cant even distinguise between them, if Not screen size. These changes arent enormores so abandon s3 4 s4. xcept u want it 4 luxry. S2 to s3 we saw big difference. Yes! its worth d upgrade..... Major Feature arent drastically upgraded. Wich s processor,camera,ppi nd overall physical look. If u cant tell speed diff. nd camera quality, y d upgrade. s4 camera Feature r just dere to confuse d public. We take better pics wit our s3 too witout dose features, so..... y waste d cash............ If Not for TRENDS. ('IM using d latest'), notin more.

I just don't understand you.
You haven't used the S4 so how do you know that the difference in hardware wouldn't be noticeable?
Samsung made almost all aspects of the hardware better and you call all those gimmicks.

What you don't understand is that the S4 is not meant to make the S3 obsolete. The S3 is still an awesome device but the S4 is much more better. If S3 users choose to upgrade, then that's their choice but you don't expect Samsung to wait for all S3 users to get tired before they release the S4.

If you still have problems getting it, why not state the huge difference you saw between the S2 and the S3 and you would see that all those and many more apply to the S4.

I'm beginning to see you as someone who bought the S3 a month or two ago without doing your research and now you feel ripped-off and try to convince yourself against facts.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by jedisco(m): 12:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
mavtrevor: Most of you are talking as tech heads and i understand your positions, but how will an average mobile phone user understand the differences? someone spent some money less than a year ago to buy an S3 and now there is an S4 with no major difference and soon there will be an S5 lolz, most of the differences are software-based and if its so i wont be surprised when the S4 features will be ported into S3. In the article i didn't mention S2 because S2 and S4 are worlds apart but S4 is not that far with S3.

Not many people jump from flagship to flagship and most S3 users will wait for the S5 but like I said, the S4 is still a much better device.

Even a blind man would notice the hardware differences between the S3 and S4. Perhaps you decided to jump the list above. Samsung has added considerably to most hardware features of the S3.

Like I asked the person above, do you really think that people would notice the differences between the S2 and the S3 or between the S1 and the S2?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by jedisco(m): 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2013
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 1:42pm On Mar 26, 2013
Move along, people, nothing to see here.

What we have are folks who purchased the S3 recently and are trying to belittle the S4 to make their choice more palatable.

The S3 is an excellent phone and there is nothing wrong with it. The S4 is more powerful, true, but if you don't want to upgrade or you cannot fund such an upgrade, why try to crap on the new phone?

Beef no good o!

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by mavtrevor(m): 2:00pm On Mar 26, 2013
@texazzpete dont sound so personal remember its an opinion and everyone is entitled to one, no time have i said there is no difference between the S4 and S3, like i said you are talking as a tech head, how will an average phone user be able to differentiate the difference btw the two? or is S4 meant for only tech heads like you? If my dad uses and S3 and now the S4 is here what noticeable difference do you think can justify him having to drop the S3 for an S4? and tomorrow an S5 will be here, i am only seeing it like these tech companies are exploiting the average ppl with their devices taking advantage that ppl will go fr it cos its in trend. How many S4 users are going for it cos its better than S3? most will of course cos its the "new phone" and it can do new things....is that enough to go for a phone for?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by Bawss1(m): 2:55pm On Mar 26, 2013
mavtrevor: @texazzpete dont sound so personal remember its an opinion and everyone is entitled to one, no time have i said there is no difference between the S4 and S3, like i said you are talking as a tech head, how will an average phone user be able to differentiate the difference btw the two? or is S4 meant for only tech heads like you? If my dad uses and S3 and now the S4 is here what noticeable difference do you think can justify him having to drop the S3 for an S4? and tomorrow an S5 will be here, i am only seeing it like these tech companies are exploiting the average ppl with their devices taking advantage that ppl will go fr it cos its in trend. How many S4 users are going for it cos its better than S3? most will of course cos its the "new phone" and it can do new things....is that enough to go for a phone for?

Any S3 user who feels exploited because of the release of the S4 should have their head examined.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 4:49pm On Mar 26, 2013
Bawss1:

Any S3 user who feels exploited because of the release of the S4 should have their head examined.

I really tire for the guy. Maybe everyone in tech should stop pushing the envelope...perhaps Intel should stop refreshing their chip lineup, AMD should stop, Nokia, Microsoft, Google....

It's a whole year (nearly) since the S3 was released. Should Samsung cry for you because you got yours 2 months ago?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by rainmaker12(m): 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2013
If u Call a dummy, nd place s2 Vs s3 nd s3 Vs s4,Ask him wich of dem Have a big diff. surely he ll say s2 Vs s3. similarly changes Made in d s3 is worth d upgrade. evry aspect of d s2 was CHANGED Not just UPGRADED. physical nd software. just like said ' s4 s not 4 s3 users, rather for new Samsung inmates or older inmates wit older phones. S3 nd s4 resemblance s too much that i dnt feel left out wen in d midst of s4 users. i wasnt so thrilled, watching d release of d s4, as we xpect something totally different frm s3. maybe using deir so called YOUM display. or better still Name d s4 as s3s...Lolz... Yea....u Know Wat i mean.......... Well tech is comimg to their climax
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by Nnamsco4real: 11:29pm On Mar 26, 2013
Chie!! I can't believe some people are still backward. Please, there are much difference in both phones. That's how they make their money. Newer is always better. Compare s2 vs s3, ip4 vs ip5, htc1 vs 1x.... There is always an update which the predecessor cannot and will never get, whether they update both to run on the same OS. Common! If you have the money, go for newer and stop talking crap. Try watch the trailer video on youtube and see that s4 is far better than s3. Period!!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 11:34pm On Mar 26, 2013
rainmaker12: If u Call a dummy, nd place s2 Vs s3 nd s3 Vs s4,Ask him wich of dem Have a big diff. surely he ll say s2 Vs s3. similarly changes Made in d s3 is worth d upgrade. evry aspect of d s2 was CHANGED Not just UPGRADED. physical nd software. just like said ' s4 s not 4 s3 users, rather for new Samsung inmates or older inmates wit older phones. S3 nd s4 resemblance s too much that i dnt feel left out wen in d midst of s4 users. i wasnt so thrilled, watching d release of d s4, as we xpect something totally different frm s3. maybe using deir so called YOUM display. or better still Name d s4 as s3s...Lolz... Yea....u Know Wat i mean.......... Well tech is comimg to their climax

Young man, pay more attention to your studies. Your grammar is atrocious!

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by rainmaker12(m): 1:11am On Mar 27, 2013
bross bring ur brain down nd undstnd. no1 say s3 s Same as s4, d topic s (to make it simple) "does it worth it, upgrading frm s3 to s4" evry1 knows dey arent d Same. if u wnt latest go for s4, if u wnt smetin 2 blow u off, wait till s5 'mayb'
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by mavtrevor(m): 1:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
You can easily notice a significant difference between S2 and S4 but not much with S3, i also don’t see any reason why an S3 user should go for S4 except you are only buying it for the trend.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by texazzpete(m): 3:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
mavtrevor: You can easily notice a significant difference between S2 and S4 but not much with S3, i also don’t see any reason why an S3 user should go for S4 except you are only buying it for the trend.

Please note that YOU are speaking only for YOURSELF.

Some people want the extra power. SOme need a better camera to replace their Point-and-shoot. Some think the IR blaster is AWESOME (after my 2 year old daughter mislaid my TV remote, i think i'd be happy being able to control all my devices with my phone). Some want the extra 1GB RAM. Some LOVE the split screen multitasking on the S3 but would be happier with a bigger screen to do more. Some want a 1080p screen.

Many want the extra battery life. Very key.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by rainmaker12(m): 9:19am On Mar 28, 2013
as SOME want all that, SOME also dont NEED all that. because it has being created, y wont dey want it. Do dey Know Wat s4 ll b like, b4? apart frm RUMORS? Its finally out, bigger! D manufacturers make it look so apealing, so they Can make their profit. They get evryone who LISTEN to deir specs. But those dat SEE their specs wont womble. As far as i cant SEE d diff. Y go into it. 'IR blaster' or '2GB ram'......etc... CHANGES ARENT VISIBLE (NOTICEABLE) a Foto taken by s3 nd s4 cant b dstnguisd, speed of s3 n s4 is Not significant. People just HEAR big specs nd dat blind deir EYES to See dat, dere arent any diff.

Wen i read bout samsungs new P.Chip octa core, i was marvelled, like Wat is Samsung turning into. I yearned for d release of dis so called octa phone. Now Its out 'leme c d speed of this Monster' i thought to myself. 2days later 's3 Vs s4 speed Test' was available on youtube, frm 'Android Authority'. To my disapointed s4 was just like a bigger s3 wit SCREEN as d only visible change. This-that, thos-that SPECS was there but as if Its Not there. Y den ll i upgrade wit almost $700.

Apple has never used a Quad P.Chip but still remains d fastest! Their specs s Löw but SEEN Not high but UNSEEN. Dual Core beating octa core.......SHAME!

Im a Fan of Android, not Apple...anyway.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Buy Samsung Galaxy S4 If You Already Own S3 by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:53am On Mar 28, 2013
* angry*

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Controlling Cockroaches With Your Phone / How To Stream Live Football Matches/latest Movies On Your Iphone (xbmc) / How To Download Youtube Videos With Your Phone [android,ios,blackberry]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.