Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs (2082 Views)

Some of My Photoshop Designs / My Adobe PHOTOSHOP DESIGNs !! / My Photoshop Designs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 2:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
First and foremost, there is no such thing as a ‘photoshop printing problem’. There are only uninformed/incompetent printers. So what’s the printer’s bone of contention? The answer is simple. Their ‘offset’ printing machines work with CMYK, not RGB

The three primary colours are Red, Green and Blue (RGB). A mixture of these 3 different colours in varying proportion will give rise to the millions of colours visible to the human eyes. RGB is the default mode for photoshop. However, offset printing machines use a mixture of a different combination of colours to generate the same millions of colours visible to the human eyes. That combination includes Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black(CMYK). SO THE SIMPLE PROBLEM IS THIS; Photoshop is not in the right mode for offset printing.

THE SOLUTION

1. As always, design freely in photoshop without bothering yourself about that incompetent printer

2. NEVER convert a text to raster. If you must carry out an FX(effect) on a text, ’convert to shape’ instead.

3. When you’re done with the design, save as ‘Photoshop EPS’. A dialog box will pop up. In the box, tick ‘Include vector data’.

4. Open coreldraw (or illustrator) and Import the EPS file. In coreldraw it automatically converts it to CMYK and preserves text as vector. PROBLEM NUMBER ONE SOLVED.

5. The design usually becomes dark and dull at this point so to rectify that, group the entire design, navigate to ‘Effects>Adjust>Tone Curve”. This works just like ‘curves’ in photoshop. Drag the upper right part of the diagonal line upwards and EUREKA! PROBLEM NUMBER TWO SOLVED. You can keep hitting on ‘preview’ as you manipulate the curve to monitor the effects it’s having on the design.

THINGS TO NOTE

1. Coreldraw might give an error when you try to import the file. No need to panic. Return to photophop and do the following.
(a)Any overly grunge font you used, delete it. You can retype it over your imported file in Coreldraw
(b)If you put a raster over a text or any other ’unrasterd’ shape, DELETE IT. [yea, yea… the blending mode made it sexy over the text but it’s not coreldraw worthy. SORRY!

2. Your printer MUST use digital separation. (All that story of “it’s expensive and the client won’t pay” is trash talk because when the print comes out as trash, the client will go gaga on you and you will either refund or redo it. It’s better not to gain than to lose. By the way, if you didn’t know, many people are willing to pay anything for satisfaction-satisfaction they’ve had difficulties getting in the first instance)

3. Printed copy will be a little bit dull compared to the photoshop design. [Except you intend to always view it directly under a football stadium’s flood light which should replicate the over brightness of your PC screen]

THE CONSPIRACY THEORY

That you can’t raster text is actually an unnecessary fear instilled in us by printers just to hide their own incompetence. You can actually raster all your text. YES YOU CAN!
TIFF is one of the most acceptable print file formats on the international scene and that is-can I say a higher form of raster? Something like a smart object. SO WHY SHOULD IT SUDDENLY BE A PROBLEM IN NIGERIA?

I experimented with some of my jobs at the press and here is my solution to rastered text;

1. YOU MUST USE DIGITAL SEPERATION. YOU MUST! YOU MUST!! YOU MUST!!!

2. Use thin fonts on plain backgrounds and bold fonts on solid background. That way, nothing smears and nothing has a halo

3. I BEG YOU! Use nothing short of the Kord printing machine.

Have a lovely photoshop print life. #OkBye.

http://yoxstudios.com/wp/?p=27#more-27
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by spywareczar(m): 3:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
thanks, realy appreciate, i actually have problem with importing some vectors i downloaded online in coreldraw, they are in .EPS format, some wil import successfully and some will just hang d coreldraw, it wudnt respond, wil hve to restart coreldraw, pls wat do u tink is d solution??
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by famous2013: 3:53pm On Mar 27, 2013
Gud 1 I must say thanks
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
spywareczar: thanks, realy appreciate, i actually have problem with importing some vectors i downloaded online in coreldraw, they are in .EPS format, some wil import successfully and some will just hang d coreldraw, it wudnt respond, wil hve to restart coreldraw, pls wat do u tink is d solution??

The solution to this is to install adobe illustrator. The coreldraw crashes most times because it cannot handle the file size so what I always do is, open the file in illustrator, delete everything i don't need in it and then save as .eps again. It usually opens this time.

You really don't have to learn how to use illustrator all over. Just use it to delete what you don't need.
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 8:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
famous2013: Gud 1 I must say thanks

Thank you.
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by Napolitano(m): 7:41pm On Mar 29, 2013
One of the most helpful posts I've read in awhile
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 9:51am On Mar 30, 2013
Napolitano: One of the most helpful posts I've read in awhile

wink
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by spywareczar(m): 10:14am On Mar 30, 2013
Tanx Bro,
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 10:37am On Mar 31, 2013
spywareczar: Tanx Bro,

You're welcome bruv
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by Sellorbuyphones(m): 8:35am On Apr 02, 2013
God bless u for this post.
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 9:04pm On Apr 06, 2013
Sellorbuyphones: God bless u for this post.

Amen
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by turl(m): 12:58am On Apr 14, 2013
YoxTheProf: First and foremost, there is no such thing as a ‘photoshop printing problem’. There are only uninformed/incompetent printers. So what’s the printer’s bone of contention? The answer is simple. Their ‘offset’ printing machines work with CMYK, not RGB

The three primary colours are Red, Green and Blue (RGB). A mixture of these 3 different colours in varying proportion will give rise to the millions of colours visible to the human eyes. RGB is the default mode for photoshop. However, offset printing machines use a mixture of a different combination of colours to generate the same millions of colours visible to the human eyes. That combination includes Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black(CMYK). SO THE SIMPLE PROBLEM IS THIS; Photoshop is not in the right mode for offset printing.

THE SOLUTION

1. As always, design freely in photoshop without bothering yourself about that incompetent printer

2. NEVER convert a text to raster. If you must carry out an FX(effect) on a text, ’convert to shape’ instead.

3. When you’re done with the design, save as ‘Photoshop EPS’. A dialog box will pop up. In the box, tick ‘Include vector data’.

4. Open coreldraw (or illustrator) and Import the EPS file. In coreldraw it automatically converts it to CMYK and preserves text as vector. PROBLEM NUMBER ONE SOLVED.

5. The design usually becomes dark and dull at this point so to rectify that, group the entire design, navigate to ‘Effects>Adjust>Tone Curve”. This works just like ‘curves’ in photoshop. Drag the upper right part of the diagonal line upwards and EUREKA! PROBLEM NUMBER TWO SOLVED. You can keep hitting on ‘preview’ as you manipulate the curve to monitor the effects it’s having on the design.

THINGS TO NOTE

1. Coreldraw might give an error when you try to import the file. No need to panic. Return to photophop and do the following.
(a)Any overly grunge font you used, delete it. You can retype it over your imported file in Coreldraw
(b)If you put a raster over a text or any other ’unrasterd’ shape, DELETE IT. [yea, yea… the blending mode made it sexy over the text but it’s not coreldraw worthy. SORRY!

2. Your printer MUST use digital separation. (All that story of “it’s expensive and the client won’t pay” is trash talk because when the print comes out as trash, the client will go gaga on you and you will either refund or redo it. It’s better not to gain than to lose. By the way, if you didn’t know, many people are willing to pay anything for satisfaction-satisfaction they’ve had difficulties getting in the first instance)

3. Printed copy will be a little bit dull compared to the photoshop design. [Except you intend to always view it directly under a football stadium’s flood light which should replicate the over brightness of your PC screen]

THE CONSPIRACY THEORY

That you can’t raster text is actually an unnecessary fear instilled in us by printers just to hide their own incompetence. You can actually raster all your text. YES YOU CAN!
TIFF is one of the most acceptable print file formats on the international scene and that is-can I say a higher form of raster? Something like a smart object. SO WHY SHOULD IT SUDDENLY BE A PROBLEM IN NIGERIA?

I experimented with some of my jobs at the press and here is my solution to rastered text;

1. YOU MUST USE DIGITAL SEPERATION. YOU MUST! YOU MUST!! YOU MUST!!!

2. Use thin fonts on plain backgrounds and bold fonts on solid background. That way, nothing smears and nothing has a halo

3. I BEG YOU! Use nothing short of the Kord printing machine.

Have a lovely photoshop print life. #OkBye.

http://yoxstudios.com/wp/?p=27#more-27

wow..guy that is slightly misinforming. you really don't have to go through all that to print CMYK.
First off, there is nothing wrong with printers printing in CMYK. That is the standard format everywhere in the world. Some printers that will print in RGB will only do so in small runs and not large batches like industrial scale.

Secondly, to save yourself all the headache, start working in CMYK from the beginning of the the job. (yes photoshop has CMYK [image > mode > CMYK/RGB/lab - whatever floats your boat]. ) not trying to rain on your parade though just saving people the stress.

So in conclusion, the ideal thing to do will be to open a new photoshop document and in the dialogue box that pops up, you set the colour mode to CMYK and print resolution to 300 dpi (this tells ps to concentrate more pixels per inch - if not your work will most likely come out blurry or worse, pixelated). Also set the dimensions to mm (millimeters) and make set at least 3 mm bleeds for the edges.

Gotta run now, bottom line is, you dont have to sacrifice your sweet ps effects by converting to vector. photoshop all day baby. hit me up if you have any questions and ill be more than happy to help.

sorry for the typos, no time to proofread.
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 12:34pm On Apr 14, 2013
turl:

wow..guy that is slightly misinforming. you really don't have to go through all that to print CMYK.
First off, there is nothing wrong with printers printing in CMYK. That is the standard format everywhere in the world. Some printers that will print in RGB will only do so in small runs and not large batches like industrial scale.

Secondly, to save yourself all the headache, start working in CMYK from the beginning of the the job. (yes photoshop has CMYK [image > mode > CMYK/RGB/lab - whatever floats your boat]. ) not trying to rain on your parade though just saving people the stress.

So in conclusion, the ideal thing to do will be to open a new photoshop document and in the dialogue box that pops up, you set the colour mode to CMYK and print resolution to 300 dpi (this tells ps to concentrate more pixels per inch - if not your work will most likely come out blurry or worse, pixelated). Also set the dimensions to mm (millimeters) and make set at least 3 mm bleeds for the edges.

Gotta run now, bottom line is, you dont have to sacrifice your sweet ps effects by converting to vector. photoshop all day baby. hit me up if you have any questions and ill be more than happy to help.

sorry for the typos, no time to proofread.

I need you to do 2 things.

1.Take your time to read my post from the beginning to the end then review your comment. Some of your statements makes it really obvious you didn't take time to read through. No one ever said it is wrong for printers to prink in cmyk. In fact I categorically said that's the only way printing machines can print.

2. Click on the link at the bottom of my post to see where I further stated that there are many ways to get things done but this is what works for me. Simply because this isn't your style doesn't make this misleading. Because you prefer apple does that make windows misinforming?

Please give me a link to your website so I can see some of your works so I can decide if I'll truly need your help. I currently have 14 years experience in the printing business but I know I can always learn something new from someone else. You can see my own jobs on www.yoxstudios.com

1 Like

Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by spywareczar(m): 8:13am On Apr 15, 2013
@Yox Ђδω advisable ɪ̣̝̇§ for somone 2 use Process(CYMK) Black in coreldraw?, coz most printers here re havin issues with Process Black ãήϑ I luv usin it in my designs
Re: Solution To Printing Photoshop Designs by YoxTheProf(m): 4:38pm On Apr 15, 2013
spywareczar: @Yox Ђδω advisable ɪ̣̝̇§ for somone 2 use Process(CYMK) Black in coreldraw?, coz most printers here re havin issues with Process Black ãήϑ I luv usin it in my designs

Well most printers run away from it and it is very difficult to find printers willing to print what they usually refer to as '4 colour black.' For images and backgrounds, that is what I always use cause it comes out brighter but for text, don't ever use it. It's almost impossible to have clean text with 4 colours because it's difficult to have all 4 colours fall on the exact same tiny place.

(1) (Reply)

Watch This Animation And Also Learn How To Make Money / Yuneec & Dji drone for sale / Pix Of The Day.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.