Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

"What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry (5397 Views)

Latest Addition To The Nigerian Music Scene, Godwin Jay Drops Club Banging Song / Drogba Rap Video: Its A Disgrace / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by dgamechanger: 12:11pm On Mar 28, 2013
Honestly am not against Nigerian artists, bur have you noticed or listened to there rhymes? all they talk about is money, women, sex, party, life on the fast lane and non educational or inspiring stuffs.

I used to think music is a way of expressing ones felling, that's what our musical teacher told us back then in school, and i believed because of the inspiring and motivational song from king sony ade,bob marley, lucky dube, fela kuti and the rest.

But now it seems people wants to make money than expressing themselves, everybody sings about the fast lane but hardly about the hustle that got them to the fast lane,that could motivate people. Every Nigerian child (those with access to the tv or radio), will be singing all the dirt coming from this artists song corrupting there mind (so bad). for instance you see a two year boy, singing and shouting 'i need the koko' or u see a girl singing 'bottom belle'

is just a shame if you turn to soundcity now, 99.9% of the music played is always about sex, money, cars, women, parties etc. none is ever educational.

maybe the are trying to sell there products, move along with the market ,unlike fela kuti, king sony ade, micheal jackson,lucky dube, bob marley, mozart and the rest, those are music that never dies,even till the next decade, unlike zacky aze, tony tetula, edris abdulkareem, mr cool, sisqo, rugged man and lots of them, you see the way the all faded? that because there songs have no weight,there just music that come and go.

you will all agree with me that music is beginning to loose its value.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Dashoff(m): 12:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
Na u know! Go and sing your's
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by bodejohn(m): 1:51pm On Mar 28, 2013
Lot of things are very simple till we make them complicated.
Music and drama and the arts in general are just for entertainment until we decided to make it complicated by trying to teach people a lesson through it.
Enjoy the rythym of the song if you can otherwise turn a deaf ear, if you need morals...go to church or a mosque.

5 Likes

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 28, 2013
dgamechanger: Honestly am not against Nigerian artists, bur have you noticed or listened to there rhymes? all they talk about is money, women, sex, party, life on the fast lane and non educational or inspiring stuffs.

Its not a Nigerian thing, listen to all rick ross' tracks then come back and tell me what you think.
If you want an educational or inspiring stuff go buy an embryology textbook. undecided

5 Likes

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
I don't really care about the artists u've posted. If u look at their work excluding 2face, that's what they're about.

Davido, Wizkid, especially Terry G have all had their hits in club songs. As far as I know, that's their specialty.

I don't go to the club to listen to inspirational lyrics or lyrics created to spark a positive movement. I'm not about to hear some deep shit, all I want to hear is money, sex, drugs, drinks, guys, girls, dance, and the assembly of lyrical jargon with great beat undecided

2 Likes

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
OP, Music doesnt lose value, and there is no disgrace. Every generation has priority issues. Michael Jackson and Bob Marley belong to generations of Revolutions, some other artists belong to generations of hardwork and suffering and penury. This is cyber generation and people make money without putting 28yrs to schooling . Have you ever thought why Tuface, DBanj, PSquare etc make more money than Alex O, Ras Kimono, Majek Fashek, would ever make ? It is because we are now living in an intelligence powered generation where one can make cash by just owning a website, like facebook and twitter, make billions by just trading on bonds and bank instruments without living your home, and what more do you do when you have too much money at your disposal at a youthful age ? Sex, Drinking, Clubbing and Yatch racing! These music belong to this generation, but if you chose to live in the 70s, then keep playing Eric Donaldson. Believe me, your wife will leave you for another man.

3 Likes

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by stylesco: 3:37pm On Mar 28, 2013
undecided
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by stylesco: 3:39pm On Mar 28, 2013
What is your business?

If everyone is serious about everything how boring life would be.
Haven't you heard that variety is the spice of life?
What does Enya sing?
Yet people enjoy her kind of music.
If you want to educate people, sing your own.
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by AkinDavid2: 3:53pm On Mar 28, 2013
@OP, name any international star that does it better?
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Ogundale(m): 4:01pm On Mar 28, 2013
Even this world is going on a fast lane so let them express the bigotry.
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by bunmioguns(m): 4:10pm On Mar 28, 2013
Akin-David:
@OP, name any international star that does it better?

Don williams, late Jim Reeves, the Band Perry...etc .. listen to them, and i bet that ur life will never remain the same again
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by debayun(m): 5:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
grin@op ur 4getting 1 of d main purpose ofmusic which is entertainment look d nija we leave in is already full of depression haha can u imagine a man who as nt seen light 4 a week, he is held up in traffic and u expect dat same man to b listening to songs lyk "stand up stand up, stand up 4 ur right by bob marley" y won't he want to commit suicide or even join boko haram with such a boring song bt reverse will b d case if he was listening to songs lyk "u gat me high ooo me gal" or" all my ladies all my ladies kukere kukere lungali or wat ever he said dere" gboju guy una u go 4get all ya sorrows and enjoy da groove *in ibo tone* lyk I will always say music is d solution to all dis terrorism
Imagine playing one of wizkid songs lyk pakurumo or azonto or psquare's chop my money or mayd ile ijo in boko haram camp and put som fine sexy ladies dere with tight cloths chai d 1st tin dey will sey is "alhamdulilai grin walai I no go commit am 4 suicide again" *in housa tone*
So mr op dis songs r one of d reasons y d nigerian population as nt reduced 4rm 160 million to 10 thousand
I rest ma case grin

3 Likes

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by eastOFwest(m): 5:30pm On Mar 28, 2013
dgamechanger: Honestly am not against Nigerian artists, bur have you noticed or listened to there rhymes? all they talk about is money, women, sex, party, life on the fast lane and non educational or inspiring stuffs.

I used to think music is a way of expressing ones felling, that's what our musical teacher told us back then in school, and i believed because of the inspiring and motivational song from king sony ade,bob marley, lucky dube, fela kuti and the rest.

But now it seems people wants to make money than expressing themselves, everybody sings about the fast lane but hardly about the hustle that got them to the fast lane,that could motivate people. Every Nigerian child (those with access to the tv or radio), will be singing all the dirt coming from this artists song corrupting there mind (so bad). for instance you see a two year boy, singing and shouting 'i need the koko' or u see a girl singing 'bottom belle'

is just a shame if you turn to soundcity now, 99.9% of the music played is always about sex, money, cars, women, parties etc. none is ever educational.

maybe the are trying to sell there products, move along with the market ,unlike fela kuti, king sony ade, micheal jackson,lucky dube, bob marley, mozart and the rest, those are music that never dies,even till the next decade, unlike zacky aze, tony tetula, edris abdulkareem, mr cool, sisqo, rugged man and lots of them, you see the way the all faded? that because there songs have no weight,there just music that come and go.

you will all agree with me that music is beginning to loose its value.

You don't have to listen to that genre of music. There are many more nigerian artistes out there (10 times more than those ones you mentioned sbove) that sing songs that don't contain those lyrics - aiyefele, onyeka, various high life, bongo music, urhobo disco, owigiri etc, the list is endless. Why don't you listen to those instead?
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by ugotheman(m): 5:31pm On Mar 28, 2013
@ op if thets the only problem you have then you are certainly without problems.thruth is there are different genre of music out there you choose the type you wish to listen to.those songs are in response to audience desires.Please choose the type that fits your likeness.ITS CHOICE
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 28, 2013
Aren't there also gospel artistes to treat u to your desired gospel tunes?
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Afam4eva(m): 6:51pm On Mar 28, 2013
How many times have you bought the album of Segun Obe, Lara George, Frank Edwards and other Christian inspirational musicians. Every music is not for everybody. These people know whom they're singing for and those people are not complaining. So, why are you?

1 Like

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Swagakid(m): 1:34pm On May 26, 2013
kissOp ...yhu don finish yhur nonsense :Pmtcheww
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by rofemiguwa(f): 2:51pm On May 26, 2013
The person calling jimreeves did he sing in 21st century.anyway @Op I tink dy answered u well.its even worse have u heard lilwayne,drake,kanye all the rest.dy all sing,pussy,money,dope,and the rest of it.music is now noise .however that becos they are mad for noisy generation.however in the midst of all the noise some artist stil uplit ur soul but u have to get their album.frank edwards,larageorge.dy r all morden day musicians witha message or inspiration.nobody nids inspiration in the club.dy all want to be told how dy have money which dy don't,dance and drink dir life away.so if u seek inspiration buy a midnight crew Cd grin
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by ayobase(m): 4:33pm On May 26, 2013
Someone is trying to educate, and yet we are trying to crucify with flimsy reasons.

Most of us know what is right, but its pathetic we are still being hypocritical.

What's wrong with "OP, u are so correct, but wetin man go do?"

Billyonaire, are u serious about what u said, that one's wife is gonna leave one if one continues listening to Eric Donaldson. The wife must have been picked up from the club. And before u crucify me, not all girls that come to the club are indecent....met many of them...just wanna come chill out, but there are the REAL club girls!

Still in this generation, We have Asa, Lagbaja, Beutiful Nubia, Lindsey Brown, Funmi, 9ice,TY Bello, Sola Allyson, some Fuji and Juju musicians, P-Square and Wizkid sef dey try sha with those nice tracks...some of the hip-hop artists dey try sha.

I have been a DJ for like 8yrs now....I know that some songs aint just right, but u just have to flow through.....COMPROMISING!

Our kids are the ones suffering from this musical menace most.....most videos are terribly terrible even when the songs are okay....vidoes never sell if yansh and bobby never dey...hmmmmm!

Pls, let's not always justify what is totally wrong for the health of our society...its like trying to justify fornication, adultery, smoking, stealing and the likes!

3 Likes

Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by kzokul(m): 5:29pm On May 26, 2013
Oya na make u go sing song wey get meaning make u dey beg 4 pure water..........KIZO
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 26, 2013
You guys are still on this topic?? undecided
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 26, 2013
lol, c me c wahala o... I been dey tink say the 'topic' na d title of a song this guyz did a combo on o!... @op, see like the saying 'different strokes 4 different folks.' there're many genre and diff. types of music out there it left 4 u 2 choose d one dat best soothe ur mood... i don't know about 9ja artist o cuz i hardly listen to most of 'em, there're forieng artist who sing about stuffs you mentiond above and still sing songs that speak 2 d mind, likes of lil wayne[e.g tie my hands] mr west[Jesus walks] b.o.b[many of his songs are inspiration with no dulling beat o] . and in naija here it's this same dbanj dat sang 'celebrate' ft wande[listen 2 it pls] and resently sang 'top of the world'... so bro music is everything, it does what you want it 2 do, i use 2 av d same mind as urz 'til i realized i options, now i av diff playlist on my music player<s> 4 diff moods.
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 26, 2013
Get into a studio and sing us an inspiring n educational song son. And stop blabing!
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Connoisseur(m): 9:36pm On May 26, 2013
Billyonaire: OP, Music doesnt lose value, and there is no disgrace. Every generation has priority issues. Michael Jackson and Bob Marley belong to generations of Revolutions, some other artists belong to generations of hardwork and suffering and penury. This is cyber generation and people make money without putting 28yrs to schooling . Have you ever thought why Tuface, DBanj, PSquare etc make more money than Alex O, Ras Kimono, Majek Fashek, would ever make ? It is because we are now living in an intelligence powered generation where one can make cash by just owning a website, like facebook and twitter, make billions by just trading on bonds and bank instruments without living your home, and what more do you do when you have too much money at your disposal at a youthful age ? Sex, Drinking, Clubbing and Yatch racing! These music belong to this generation, but if you chose to live in the 70s, then keep playing Eric Donaldson. Believe me, your wife will leave you for another man.

The second time am liking your post today
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by GenButtNaked: 10:51pm On May 26, 2013
OP, you should now realize that the majority of people you want to save are not willing to be saved.

The Music industry in Nigeria within the last 5-7 years has taken off, not necessarily due to a flourishing of home grown talents but a sinister global conspiracy to make sheeple out of the masses.

The music industry is just one branch of the social-engineers plan designed to create false role models for the youth and further derail a brighter, educated future. The plan is to make the youth less interested in acquiring knowledge and thus less likely to have the life being advertised by these manufactured agents of deceit.

I see a lot of misplaced priorities among young people of today. The music video glam life complete with yatchs, private jets, exotic cars, flashy clothes, alcohol and the complimentary array of beautiful women beckons the naive to think life can only be best if you became a superstar musician.

They are winning in Black America and they have exported it here.

What even annoys me most is the fake nollywood actors who are given too much credit for their terrible acting in awfully produced, directed and scripted movies; today they are called celebrities and they can be seen every where. In magazines, on the T.V., the Net and even on billboards. The in thing now for these artists (Music and film) is just to acquire fame and the rest in the form of endorsements will follow. Rather than corporations endorse and reward hardwork, they have chosen mediocrity.
It is no secret that Music and film artiste make nickles from their professed occupation but rely on big handouts in the form of endorsement from companies. GLO is the biggest culprit when it comes in promoting mediocrity.

Andy Warhol did predict back in the 60's that in the future, everyone will have their one-minute of fame. It can be either in the form of a YouTube post, a nuisance blogger or a shameless no-talent sex video hoe like Kim Kardashian or in more desperate and despicable forms like in Goldie whose pinnacle contribution to mankind and the earth that hosted her when she was alive was to take part in a reality show.
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by GenButtNaked: 11:12pm On May 26, 2013
Re: "What A Disgrace!" - A Nairalander's Opinion About The Nigerian Music Industry by Nobody: 12:47am On May 27, 2013
every artist has their audience ,you decide what you want to hear, after all, you aren't being forced to listen to the likes of the people you mentioned.

don't also forget that literary acts are dynamic, and shouldn't be static has you want us to believe.

I love life, because it gave humans, choices to pick from , because you detest such music doesn't mean We all should follow suit.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Raees Movie Mp3 Songs Download / Destiny Boy – IF (fuji Version Of Davido’s IF Cover) / Kere Wawa Kere Wawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.