Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,917 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Jewels Of Africa - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewels Of Africa (46127 Views)

Church Of England Issues Formal Apology Over Betrayal Of Africa's First Bishop / Jewels Of Lucifer- A Play By A Nairaland Boy, Cosmos Nuel AKA Emyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2013
OMG, HBG who composed that siggie 4 u? U? Yoruba? shockedshocked:

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:55pm On Apr 24, 2013
Damex333: OMG, HBG who composed that siggie 4 u? U? Yoruba? shocked:-O
lips sealed but I can show u this: grin grin grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 7:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
came to read an update, saw you showing your teeth to Damex, i will check back later smiley

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:23pm On Apr 25, 2013
There is no place in the world that has the aura of one's own home. When lost, one need to see a familiar face, a reassuring voice and a thumbs up now and then but Malaika felt like Edwina after losing her fiancé and parents the night Titanic sank. Alone, scared and left in the cold, the only difference was that Edwina had her siblings to talk to while she had none.

“Malaika Evans?” The receptionist with an accent called her name. She looked coloured or like the Masarwa as Botshelo called coloured people in her native language. Before she did, a young couple had just walked out of the Doctors office and the look on the woman's face showed that she was in a lot of pain. The guy with her supported her and was carrying her bag, who was going to do that for her? She got up, and the receptionist directed her.

“Your Malaika Evans?” She nodded.

“Go straight, enter the first door on your left, if you want to use the ladies its the last door on your right. ”

She then said some phrase she couldn't make in Tswana but had heard it once or twice from Botshelo when she was sympathising with people, maybe the woman was a Lesarwa after all because the accent was gone when she said the phrase.

“Hi, Malaika Evans, I am doctor Moshidi, I will be of your assistance today.” The doctor said warmly, extending her hand to Malaika. The first thing Malaika noticed was that she was pregnant, her white coat had tiny gaps between buttons, it didn't fit and needed change or the woman should just take a maternity leave. How on earth does a pregnant woman help other women get rid of their own pregnancies? Didn't it affect her emotionally maybe? But then one would never know with doctors. What they do everyday would be considered as miracles, because they never show any kind of emotion whatsoever. “Your name reminds me of an Afro pop group called Malaika, your Swahili right?” Dr Moshidi had started light conversation with Malaika before working on her, maybe it was to lighten the situation at hand but all Malaika needed was to get done and over with these people. “Yes I am, well kinda.” She muttered putting her left hand on the operating table for her blood pressure to be taken.

The cuff placed around her upper arm tightened and made her flinch, the pain was just a starter there was more to come, she watched as the doctor looked at her sympathetically.

“100/55? Not bad, would you please pull your dress up and climb onto that bed? We are going to do an ultrasound scan. ” Dr Moshidi informed her cheerful.

I wonder what's so cheering in all this!

Malaika muttered angrily as she climbed the bed folding her hands at the back of her head and closing her eyes.

Some things were not meant for her to see, like whatever that was on the screen next to her. Ice cold jelly like substance was smeared on her tummy, she felt like a snake had just slithered passed her stomach leaving its dead skin on her.

After what seemed like forever she was told to get down. She didn't ask how far she was, last she checked she was five weeks. Now it didn't matter anymore.

Dr Moshidi washed her hands and took out four tablets. “This is Mifepristone you take them both orally, and this is Prostaglandin  you put it inside your womanhood, you can decide if you want me to put it in, or you will do it yourself.”

Malaika shook her head vigorously. “I will. ”

“Great, after inserting it, put on your sanitary pad, you might bleed before time so I don't want you messing up your dress.

And your going to feel a little bit uneasy and cold, just put on the heater to the level that will suit you. See you after two hours and stay put in the rest room, you will be called when your hour has come.” Dr Moshidi said looking after her with a motherly concern as Malaika made her way out to the ladies.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:33pm On Apr 25, 2013
A short walk took her to the ladies where she took the tablets as prescribed and opened the rest room door where she was met by a pair of not so friendly eyes. Two ladies who looked older than her sat side by side on the couch. The long faced, wide eyed, large lips lady with a nose as big as an ant hill was shivering and whimpering like a German shepherd left in the icy stormy night of winter.

By the look of things the tablets were already working on her, she trudged across the room and sat on a one sitter couch not too far from the ladies. They were the first to greet her, though their conversation wasn't long as she couldn't understand their language and they also didn't want to communicate in the universal language.

Two hours later the other girl was done and as they prepared to leave, Malaika was called in. The time had come for the deed to be carried out.

Doctor Moshidi worked like she could perform the procedure with her eyes closed. She numbed the cervix with a local anesthetic, which created an uncomfortable cramping down the waist and Malaika found herself doing slow deep breathing like a pregnant woman agonized by labour pains.

She completed the abortion by slipping a small plastic tube; a vacurette, into the cervix and connected it to a small machine, called a vacuum aspirator, which creates a gentle suction. The suctions made Malaika felt as if Dr Moshidi was actually pulling out her intestines. It was an agonizing pain which left her waist tight and her legs feeling like jelly. She got off the bed without a second glance at Doctor Moshidi who was putting away her working tools for sterilization, and walked to the rest room where she slept off.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Ollyfad(f): 3:34pm On Apr 25, 2013
Malaika aborting kus of an i.d.i.o.t lyk femi!!! Dat is y african women nid 2 b more assertive on wat dey wnt nd nt succumb 2 evrytin d opposite sex wnts!!!

2 Likes

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:34pm On Apr 25, 2013
Malaika woke up with a start, the screaming was too damaging to her ear drums, why on earth would someone scream like that? It wouldn't be her noisy neighbors, yes they always had something to celebrate from Friday to Sunday but this particular weekend the place was deserted.

People had gone home for the holidays, winter was too cold to spend in a big city without family warmth around. She wouldn't go home, there won't be any warmth there, especially with her intrusive mother who allowed her no privacy at home. She would make sure that she get to clean her daughter's room every now and then, just to make sure she wasn't involved in any disreputable manner the youth of this age had turned to. The kind of a mother who would want to inspect her daughter's body regularly! Malaika dared not to risk it. She rolled off the bed without looking at her surroundings, this time she hid the floor sooner than anticipated. She felt a twinge around her waist, the pain tore deep down her heart as if she had just lost someone so dear in her life.

Time might heal metaphorical heartbreak, but an injured heart can rarely repair itself. she told herself. The pain she had bottled in when Femi left her flared up, physical and emotional pain blended like hot lava and water, boiling inside her, burning her whole body. She quickly wiped hot salty tears that ran down freely on her cheeks. Glancing around her, her mind drifted back to the place she was at; she was still at Marie Stopps WOMEN's CLINIC. She was sure that the painful cry was from the last girl who was to be operated when Malaika walked out of theatre, she had felt pity for the girl. She looked fifteen, and pretty, quiet a beautiful innocent face she had. The girl was curled on a bed across the room now, her attention directed to Malaika.

“Do you need help getting up? I can press that button for help if you can't.” The girl offered, she could see Malaika was struggling to get up. Forcing a smile Malaika said, “I have to try,” she cropped the bed's leg and with wobbly legs she managed to climb up the bed.

“Was it you who was crying?”

“Yes, an hour ago I think.”

“Then I must have been dreaming, I heard you crying just before I woke up.”

“You were dreaming then, I am Dineo by the way.” The other girl said extending her hand to Malaika, it hung on the air waiting for Malaika's hand. Malaika too extended hers, “I am Malaika. Nice to meet you Dineo, though its under crucial circumstances.” They shook their hands in pretense, creating an African handshake, which was accompanied by giggles, giggling at their imaginary handshake. “Likewise Malaika, your namesake with an Afro pop trio called Malaika, though the third member died few years back.” Both girls were now sitting sidebyside on one of the beds like old friends who haven't seen each other for a longtime.

“Everybody is saying that, well it makes me popular by demand right?” Malaika chipped in cheerful, for a moment there she had forgotten about her pains. Dineo nodded and went back to being rigid.
“So what brings you here? I mean why did you have the abortion?” Malaika tried to sound casual even though she knew the matter was very private.

Dineo looked down at her toes, wrangling them like she was expecting some kind of answers from them. Tears welled down the little girl's face and she closed her eyelids painful as they tears fall down her cheeks freely. With a quivering voice she poured her heart out to Malaika.

“My Life Orientation teacher has always picked on me in class, he would send me to do his odd chores, like cleaning his desk, washing his lunch box after lunch and going across the township during school hours to get him chicken feet! Maotwana jo! Just like that. ” She sounded disgusted when she said the word 'Maotoana' (chicken feet in Northern/Southern Sotho) “Two months later, he asked me to stay behind for an assignment I didn't submit, he said I was detained for it and had to clean grade 10C main classroom. There was nobody around, he started playing funny games which I enjoyed and as I loosened up he touched my private parts. He told me had always wanted to make me feel like a woman, I mean I am just fifteen but since all my friends were sexually active I didn't hesitate....”

Malaika jumped from where she was sitting but the pain brought her back next to Dineo, she looked down her nose at the teenager and said shrieked;

“You agreed to have sex with your teacher? I heard young girls were wild but this is absurd!”

Dineo didn't mind her outburst, she had dealt with Malaika's types before. She continued with her story. “It was after a month of staying behind after school, him buying me airtime and mouth watering expensive lunch everyday that I realized I had missed my periods. My Uncle caught me throwing up one morning in the bathroom before school. I almost committed suicide that day!” She got up and walked to the other end of the room, she could feel Malaika looking daggers at her but she couldn't touch her. They both got lost in their own thoughts for a minute before Dineo carried on with her story. She cleared her throat to catch Malaika's attention.

“My Uncle took me to school and since my teacher was an intern, he had already left by the time my Uncle went to school and the Principal never fulfilled his promise to deal with the matter but agreed with my family to transfer me to another school. ”

“Wow girl, this are the stories Ife always says touch, you know I didn't even know how to polish my own shoes at your age?” Malaika asked laughing.

“Well because you look like one spoilt rich girl, aren't you? ” Dineo challenged her.

“Rich? That would be my parents, I am yet to make my millions, my parents wealth means nothing to me. Spoilt? One look at my mother would tell you a different story.” She said feeling ontop of the game already.

“Well, I don't have both parents, my grandparents died before I could even roll on my own. My uncle was always away restoring peace across the continent and I had to live with alcohol abusers, they didn't buy food in the house. All they cared about was Alcohol, gosh I didn't even have a single underwear that wasn't torn. I ended up free styling as they call it.” She sighed deeply, Malaika's moistured eyes never leaving her face.

“What's free styling if you don't mind me asking?” Malaika felt that she needed to know. Dineo didn't disappoint her; “Going about your daily business wearing no underwear.” Malaika clamped her mouth with her hand shocked. Picturing the kind of life the girl had lived, the hardships? She complaint when her mother told her to cook when someone had to sleep on an empty stomach? The world was surely a gruel place to live. She nodded at Dineo to continue.

“After my transfer my Uncle changed positions at the army to stay full time in the country, he is now at home every evening and weekends. I have a stable home, I am at a good school and I just got rid of mount Everest. I know its not going to be easy but I will get over my past life, I have learned the hard way.” Relieved she went back to the spot next to Malaika and the embraced each other weeping and laughing at the same time. When they pulled apart Malaika said;

“I wish I had your strength, my parents raised me well but peer pressure killed me. I wanted to try new things, see what that got me?” She wept bitterly while Dineo held her, patting her on the back promising her that things would be okay. Dineo's phone rang, she picked it up with a smile on her little pretty face.

“Heya, it hurts, not too bad though. Yes, at the reception? Ok. Will be out in a minute!” She hung up as quickly as she had picked the call. “Its my Uncle, he has just knocked off at th office he is here to take me home.” She said gathering her things. Malaika gathered hers too, she checked the time it was a little before four in the afternoon and the nurse would come for her if she doesn't leave too.

“Wait up, I should get going too, I will get a cab at Wander Walt.” Malaika informed Dineo, they then exchanged numbers and made their way to the reception.

“Hey baby, are you okay?” A familiar male voice asked walking towards Dineo and opening arms for her, she flung herself in looking a little bit rattled. “Its ok baby, its all over now, don't cry, I promised your mother I will take care of you. Hush now....” Malaika stood between the reception counter and the outside door uncertain on what to do next.

When he looked up, his eyes and Malaika's locked and they looked at each other questioningly.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 2:53pm On Apr 26, 2013
i love that you have total control of adjectives and u use them well, but i got questions:

have you lived in this countries you are so accustomed to their language, tribe and people?

have you done an abortion before or know someone that or did you just Google it grin it felt so real while i was reading it, that's why am askingsmiley

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:44pm On Apr 26, 2013
princesa: i love that you have total control of adjectives and u use them well, but i got questions:
thanks dear.

princesa:
have you lived in this countries you are so accustomed to their language, tribe and people?
I lived in south Africa for seven years so m used to it as for other places I do researches through the internet.

princesa: have you done an abortion before or know someone that or did you just Google it grin it felt so real while i was reading it, that's why am askingsmiley
lol.... did you check the time interval between the last update and this update? It took me two weeks to put it all together, I googled the procedure but had trouble making it real. So my answer is no, I have never had an abortion. smiley just learning how to write tongue

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by frank317: 3:47pm On Apr 26, 2013
ride on babes, i de ur back

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:04pm On Apr 26, 2013
frank3.16:
ride on babes, i de ur back
keep my swagger, keep it lookin good for ya wink

Thanks bro
Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 5:07pm On Apr 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace:
thanks dear.
lol.... did you check the time interval between the last update and this update? It took me two weeks to put it all together, I googled the
procedure but had trouble making it real. So my answer is no, I have
never had an abortion. smiley just learning how to write tongue

thought i should ask grin grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:35pm On Apr 26, 2013
princesa:

thought i should ask grin grin
good question, I know there are eyes rolling so you did a good thing as u became their voice.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: lol.... did you check the time interval between the last update and this update? It took me two weeks to put it all together, I googled the procedure but had trouble making it real. So my answer is no, I have never had an abortion. smiley just learning how to write tongue
she actually said wat was in my mind, i wanted 2 ask that b4, i love ur write up, its so gr8, d storyline of ds episode is so gr8. Nice work gracie, me dey ur back,front,left,right even ur middle. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:58pm On Apr 26, 2013
Damex333: she actually said wat was in my mind, i wanted 2 ask that b4, i love ur write up, its so gr8, d storyline of ds episode is so gr8. Nice work gracie, me dey ur back,front,left,right even ur middle. grin grin grin
thanks D. I knew ths kinda kwesions would pop up. M ready for battle...

Got your back two, fingers crossed for 2mrw
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 27, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: thanks D. I knew ths kinda kwesions would pop up. M ready for battle...

Got your back two, fingers crossed for 2mrw
yeah, am done wit it, all i need now is favour from baba God, He sud crown my effort.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by luvmijeje(f): 3:34pm On Apr 27, 2013
HBG, well done o. It is very educative esp the abortion part.
Dineo's uncle is Mike abi? I can't wait for the next update.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
Damex333: yeah, am done wit it, all i need now is favour from baba God, He sud crown my effort.
like I said, Fairness
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:44pm On Apr 27, 2013
luvmijeje: HBG, well done o. It is very educative esp the abortion part.
Dineo's uncle is Mike abi? I can't wait for the next update.
lol thanks girl...@ ur question, my lips are sealed.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 11:04pm On Apr 28, 2013
Wow...sis HBG, so abortion could be so horrible? I will never know how it feels In Jesus Name #amin Jesu#

You know what? I love how you stopped...like...you know I love suspense, # smiles#. But not 'over suspense' o...
see you around #hugs#

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:55pm On Apr 29, 2013
BukkyDan: Wow...sis HBG, so abortion could be so horrible? I will never know how it feels In Jesus Name #amin Jesu#
Amen sis, behave, cz if you do, you won't have to go through it

BukkyDan: You know what? I love how you stopped...like...you know I love suspense, # smiles#. But not 'over suspense' o...
see you around #hugs#
thanks, that wasn't interntional though, my ink got finished and I had to stop. grin
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 29, 2013
BukkyDan:

You know what? I love how you stopped...like...you know I love suspense, # smiles#. But not 'over suspense' o...
see you around #hugs#
why wont you love it, when u don keep us on hold. (or wat am i sayin) not even hold. No halt, no story 4rm our lovely bukky. Its unfair o bukky. * infact sef, u don get mail,go check am *
Re: Jewels Of Africa by jiraiyas: 12:45pm On May 06, 2013
Nice tory, xo when r u posting?

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:15pm On May 06, 2013
jiraiyas: Nice tory, xo when r u posting?
towards weekend and thanks
Re: Jewels Of Africa by jiraiyas: 5:19pm On May 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: towards weekend and thanks
Still ve nt answered me. When r u posting? And again dnt tell me wat 2day is plz...i beg u.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:28pm On May 06, 2013
jiraiyas:
Still ve nt answered me. When r u posting? And again dnt tell me wat 2day is plz...i beg u.
on thursday.

Satisfied?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Mynd44: 5:33pm On May 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: on thursday.

Satisfied?
No
Re: Jewels Of Africa by jiraiyas: 5:35pm On May 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: on thursday.

Satisfied?
Thursday is far and you know. All thesame thanx.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:36pm On May 06, 2013
Mynd_44:
No
phhrhrhr tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:37pm On May 06, 2013
jiraiyas:
Thursday is far and you know. All thesame thanx.
writers block tings.....sorry
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Mynd44: 5:38pm On May 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: phhrhrhr tongue tongue tongue tongue
Not kidding
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:41pm On May 06, 2013
Mynd_44:
Not kidding
undecided what do you want your honor?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Letter To My Friend Overseas / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures) / Read A Book Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.