Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,808 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Jewels Of Africa - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jewels Of Africa (46159 Views)

Church Of England Issues Formal Apology Over Betrayal Of Africa's First Bishop / Jewels Of Lucifer- A Play By A Nairaland Boy, Cosmos Nuel AKA Emyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:14pm On Jul 27, 2013
Bolt2011: Wow!!! Interesting story. Well done HBG
The wait is always worth it. Please keep it coming. More ink to your pen.
thanks boldsmiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa by bigsholly(f): 9:23pm On Jul 27, 2013
HBG as done it again. Wow d wait worth n d
Story is superb just picturing myself inside
As if am there. Weldon ma'ma

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
bigsholly: HBG as done it again. Wow d wait worth n d
Story is superb just picturing myself inside
As if am there. Weldon ma'ma
thanks bigsholly, which character wud u be?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by seunviju(f): 9:59pm On Jul 28, 2013
This is really a wonderful story,keep it up

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:13pm On Jul 28, 2013
seunviju: This is really a wonderful story,keep it up
thank you dear.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by princesa(f): 11:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
is it gonna be Malaika and Mike?

keeping my fingers crossedwink

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 11:07pm On Jul 28, 2013
#Sighs gratefully# so Femi didn't die...

Errrrm buh Malaika and Mike? What a combo...

@ Sis HBG...good work, just got ma imaginations running wild...

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:27am On Jul 29, 2013
Princesa and bukky, thanks. B.k seems not to fancy the combo and Princesa is kinda happy...hmmmm *sigh*
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2013

PART TWO

MIXED BLESSINGS-DNA

“ ~Mixed blessings,
Like joy of the sea coming home to shore,
May the relief of laughter rinse through your soul.

As the wind loves to call things to dance,
May your gravity by lightened by grace.

Like the dignity of moonlight restoring the earth,
May your thoughts incline with reverence and respect.

As water takes whatever shape it is in,
So free may you be about who you become.

As silence smiles on the other side of what's said,
May your sense of irony bring perspective.

As time remains free of all that it frames,
May your mind stay clear of all it names.

May your prayer of listening deepen enough
to hear in the depths the laughter of God.~”

― John O'Donohue.

⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̥̈̊☀̤̈̇CHAPTER 5☀̤̈̇✽̤̥̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣

At 5:30am the plane landed, at the O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg South Africa. The screeching of the wheels as the touched the ground woke the passengers, whom yawned and prepared to get out. The girl next to Ife-Oluwa swallowed hard, eyes still closed, she looked like she would be sleeping for some time.

Ife wiped the window to look out, the heavy pregnant clouds promised rain. She smiled at the site of Johannesburg, atleast the country didn't have the sickening scent of her father's medication. Wherever she would go back home the scent would be there, the place was like a hospital, she was sure that people who had been in hospitals for two long would kill for fresh air. Her father's illness had drowned away her happiness and held her prisoner in her own home.

Her father Professor Abusiudumare had discovered that he had Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia also known as (CLL). His doctor had put him on an ("expectant management" ) for five years until the symptoms showed up and he had to go under chemotherapy, Biological therapy, radiation therapy which prepared him for a bone marrow transplant.

Chemotherapy had left once a strong Professor of Arts and Culture at the Obafemi Awolowo University was a frail man who couldn't even walk by himself. It was said if he had faught chemotherapy then he had almost beaten the battle.

But his daughter had no hope, especially when there was relapse as all the treatments were not promising cure. With the bone marrow transplant done, all they had to do was wait, she had been the donor since her
Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) markers matched with that of her father. Still it made no difference to her, she had asked her father why he opted for treatment when he might die from it anyway but her father had told her that no man in his family went down without a fight. He had kept a strong face around his daughter but she knew he was going through hell.

Her mother had cried when she left for school, being an only child had its disadvantages, and leaving her parents at that state was heart breaking. Though she knew that her life had to go on, her father had always told her to sieze every opportunity she had to get education while she still has both parents, live her life without regrets because both he and her mother had had lived theirs it. She and her mother were best of friends though the woman wasn't biologically her mother. Her biological mother left the day she was named, at the hospital and never came back.

Her father had closed the chapter of the woman who had borne him a child, and his wife had step in and raise the child who was a product of a love affair between the professor and his student.

She was just glad that her parents loved her enough to tell her everything while she was still young and prepared her for the world outside.

“Ma'am, we have landed, do you need help with anything?” A hostess asked her smiling. She shook her head, and the hostess gestured to the sleeping girl next to her. “And your sister?”

“Why do you say we are sisters?” Ife asked baffled, the hostess smiled. “I just know.” She said.

Ife shook her head, “She isn't my sister, I don't even know her, but will wake her up thanks.” The hostess moved along to help other passengers. “Hey,” she gently shook the sleeping girl, the girl had been sleeping for seven hours. The girl didn't budge, she shook vigorously. “Hey, wake up.” The girl opened her eyes blinking, shilding her eyes from the light that came from the bulb above them. “Whe have landed.” Ife informed her gathering her stuff, and left a the girl who called after her.

“Urm..excuse me?”
“Yea?”
“Thanks.” Ife nodded slightly and left. She had to make a call, she couldn't wait to lay her hands on her new car, her father had suprised her with the car's documents on his hospital bed just two days before she had left. He said he knew South Africa too well and was not comfortable with his daughter traveling on foot or having to use public transport whenever she needed to leave her flat.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:14pm On Jul 31, 2013
The chilly air made her shiver, creating goose bumps on her arms. She had forgotten how cold the place could be, and hated herself for wearing a light jacket, but she had to manage with only that on, there was no time to visit the ladies.

People were milling about the place going on all directions that she lost her way and bumped into people, excuses flying by as everyone wanted to get to his/her destination in time.

“Watch it!” A man not far way from her screamed at a girl who was on her knees gathering her items that had spilled from her hand bag. When the girl raised her head, Ife realised that it was the girl who was sitting next to her in the plane. The girl seemed a bit out of place, she had been like that when she board the plane.

“Hey, are you okay?” She offered to help, nobody paid the girl any attention, they seemed too preoccupied with their own business. The girl thanked Ife as they walked out of the building.

“First time?” Ife asked, searching for the guy who was supposed to fetch her. “In South Africa?” The other girl asked, Ife nodded skimming the crowd. “Yea, my dad just love sending us down here, my brother is also here doing his masters. I am Kenny by the way.” The other girl kept the conversation going. “Where are you going? I should really start looking for a taxi.”

Ife looked at her then, she was fair skin. Oval face, bushy trimmed eye brows and lovely dimples. A smile formed on Ife's face as she thought of calling the girl dimples. “Where is Taiwo?” She asked still checking the girl out.

“Urm, there aint Taiwo, its just me, I didn't get your name though.” She said changing the subject.

“Ife-Oluwa, and other hundred yoruba names but I preffered to be called Ife...and I am going to Pretoria.”

“Oh that's nice, I am going to Pretoria too, let's get a taxi. Its chilly out here.” She was rubbing her arms to make friction, she had undermined the weather and didn't bother checking when she left Lagos.

Ife had seen the driver and had ran from where she was to catch him before he disappeared. She called Kenny to join them minutes later, grinning from ear to ear admiring her new Hundai... “Your driving us right?” She asked the driver. “Yea, but I won't be driving you around, your father said I am to drive you to Pretoria only.”

“Duh, I know. Let's go then.” she opened the door for Kenny as the driver loaded their luggage in the boot. “So Kehinde right?” She asked on their way to Pretoria, Kenny nodded. “Why did you take sleeping tablets before the plane left Lasgidi?” Kehinde was looking out of the window, “My sister died in the Dana crash, I still can't travel on plane unless sedated or drugged when the plane starts moving.” She said still looking out. The driver sighed, and Ife was tongue tight, she couldn't imagine the pain the girl was going through, and it was too soon for her to be traveling. “Don't you think its too early to be traveling then?” She asked.

Kehinde turned and looked at her, “My sister had fulfilled her dreams. She was going to get married then, she died with her fiance.” She paused, then lifted Ife's chin with her fingers so that their faces were at the same level. “See, my life has to go on, can't stop living because she is gone. That would be foolish don't you think?” Their eyes locked, tears streaming down their faces. Something deep seemed to have touched them, some kind of a force they couldn't understand because the embraced each other and wept silently for a long time, like they felt each other's pain, one heart. The driver would have sweared the two had known each other all their lives.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:17pm On Jul 31, 2013
“Ladies, we are in Pretoria.” The driver announced, the girls separated then, wiping their tears at the same time. “Welcome to mini Lagos Kenny, here you won't even miss Nigeria, its like one of them places back home.” Ife Informed her cheerful.

“So its true then, my brother always brags about this place.” Her eyes widened as they passed Unisa, she screamed. “That's Unisa? Oh my gosh! its beautiful! Its a pity they don't offer classes like University of Pretoria though.” Ife was laughing, “Girl your hilarious.” They giggled and moved about singing "takkies is the place to be!"

“How did you know that song?” Ife asked amazed, beaming Kenny replied; “My sis went to UP too.”

“This girls are sick o!” The driver muttered to himself, shaking his head but the girls have heard him. “wetin be your own sef?” They asked him adding a long hiss. “mtcheew!”

“So what are you studying? Can't believe we are going to be in the same school.” Kenny asked Ife after they settled down.
“Psychology, serving my long sentence.” She answered grinning. “And you?”
“Me too.”
“Are you for real?”
“Yep, my dad had to pull some strings though. Long story, I had to write strings of tests with Unisa and stuff.”
“That doesn't matter.”
“And where are you going to stay?”
“In hatfield with my brother.” Kenny said, Ife's grin disappeared as fast as it had appeared. She slumped back to her seat sulking her finger. She felt so connected to Kenny the way she had never felt all her life. The girl was just like her, and brought the worst and best in her. “Come on, we will still hangout.” Kenny was the one doing the cheering now, they had arrived at Ife's place.

“Could you please drop her at her destination then you can bring the car back?” Ife asked her driver who gave her the 'you owe me.' Look, “yea fine, I owe you.” She rolled her eyes at the driver who was at the elevator with her bags. Kenny went up with them, nobody was home but Ife bit them goodbye as she complained of a mild headache. “Will ping you later miss.” Kenny said formally before the elavator closed leaving Ife behind.

The house was empty, Malaika's overnight back wasn't in her wordrobe either. Her phone wasn't going through, bbm's messages were not delivered. Ife couldn't sleep, her parents kept coming into the picture whenever she tried to close her eyes.

She smsed the driver and asked him to drop the key at the gate, the security guard would bring it when he knocked off.

Her clothes needed to be unpacked. But why was Malaika's phone off? Could she be at Femi's? Because home was the last place wanted to be, and her reasons were stupid. How long would she avoid her mother? Did she know how important family is? She tried her phone once more, which told her the number she had dialled doesn't exist.

She prayed that she was fine, Pretoria like many of the big cities in Africa was like an ocean with different kinds of predators. Unpacking took her like forever, her mother had groomed her into a fine neat lady who took care of herself and hated untidy people.

Later she ran herself a hot bath, relaxing and taking things of her mind. Her phone interrupted and she had to sprint to the bedroom, she knew her mother would call so she couldn't miss her calls. The number didn't have a code, she picked it up thinking its Malaika. “Malaika is that you? Gosh I was so worried, where are you?”

“Ife, its Kenny, took your numbers from your hot driver.” Came an excited voice at the other end of the line. Ife sat down on the bed disappointed, she tried to sound thrilled though. “Oh, I thought you were my roomate, how's your new crib?”
“My brother is bossing me around already, giving me 101 rules and regulations. I can't wait to move out.” Kenny said in a whisper. “Why are you whispering? Is he that bad?” Ife asked giggling. She had never had siblings so being bossed around sounded funny. “He is here,” there was silence for few minutes. “He used to deal with us back at home, dad has always trusted him to be the man when he wasn't around. Like he is a man mtcheew!” Kenny hissed, Ife had stopped laughing. The brother might really be a pain.

The call took one hour and thirty minutes as they talked about this and that, who was the hottest guy in the entertainment industry, their love for shoes and brazilian hair.

“Boko Haram is promising to take away my only ticket to freedom, will ping you when he has calmed down. Bye.” Kenny ended the call before Ife could say bye or ask who Boko Haram was but she sure had a good idea who he was; Kenny's brother, she couldn't wait to see him. Kenny's call had lifted up her spirits, she was able to close her eyes without her parents haunting her.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 7:30am On Aug 01, 2013
Uhmm...never knew Ife was this NICE...good to know she's cool.

@ sis HBG...weldone o, this dose made my Indomie go down well...
More softness to your fingers...cheesy
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:24am On Aug 01, 2013
BukkyDan: Uhmm...never knew Ife was this NICE...good to know she's cool.

@ sis HBG...weldone o, this dose made my Indomie go down well...
More softness to your fingers...cheesy
wats indomie? *hides*

Thanks dear
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Rajosh(m): 6:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
I have finally arrived.HBG I'm realy enjoying this story.My heart was beating faster like crazy when I thought Malaika had died.Thank God it was only a dream.Nice job.Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:53pm On Aug 01, 2013
Rajosh: I have finally arrived.HBG I'm realy enjoying this story.My heart was beating faster like crazy when I thought Malaika had died.Thank God it was only a dream.Nice job.Keep it up.
thanks smiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Rajosh(m): 9:25pm On Aug 01, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: thanks smiley
you're welcome
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 2:31pm On Aug 02, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: wats indomie? *hides*

#whispers into her ears# indomie is a brand of noodles...you hear? That what students eat..and...don't tell anybody.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Bluediamond1(f): 8:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
Oh my!!HBG,u r awesome...God bless dat brain.
Pls dnt kip me waitin 4 long..

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Davefirst(m): 12:22am On Aug 03, 2013
Hey!!! I love this story die.. Am even thinking, are you from South Africa or Nigeria or an Half-Cast?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Rajosh(m): 9:22am On Aug 06, 2013
HBG where art thou, why have thou forsaken thy thread?
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 11:40am On Aug 07, 2013
Sis HBG, where are you nah?sad
eeiyaa is not fair o;(
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Chuksemi(m): 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2013
I'm getting that feeling...... lipsrsealed
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Rajosh(m): 3:54pm On Aug 07, 2013
BukkyDan: Sis HBG, where are you nah?sad
eeiyaa is not fair o;(
Bukky i've caught you.This is the reason you havn't given us update on sasha and co. @HBG I'm enjoying every bit of this story.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:35am On Aug 08, 2013
Davefirst: Hey!!! I love this story die.. Am even thinking, are you from South Africa or Nigeria or an Half-Cast?
Dave angry I am going to tell mommy for you cry

I am a proudly Southern African, from the Tsonga tribe to be exactwink
Rajosh: HBG where art thou, why have thou forsaken thy thread?
BukkyDan: Sis HBG, where are you nah?sad
eeiyaa is not fair o;(
Chuksemi: I'm getting that feeling...... lipsrsealed
Guys relax na...m back now and might update later todaysmiley

BukkyDan:

#whispers into her ears# indomie is a brand of noodles...you hear? That what students eat..and...don't tell anybody.
thanks darling.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by Rajosh(m): 11:35pm On Aug 08, 2013
**Walks into thread for a dose of...(sees no update,with a dissapointed look,exclaims) "Oh gosh,not again!". HBG
Re: Jewels Of Africa by BukkyDan(f): 8:53am On Aug 09, 2013
Ooooooh! Sis HBG...ehn...you want me to cry abi? # flicks away tears#...
I'll tell your mummy for you o!
Oya come and update asap.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:54pm On Aug 09, 2013
⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵✽̤̈CHAPTER 6✽̤̈·̵·̵̭̌«̶⌣

The afternoon traffic had been hectic. She had been held up at school finishing up an assignment she was to submit that afternoon. But had dragged her feet, if she had her own way, she wouldn't have done it.

She pulled her Verso by the gate, the place had soldiers sitting by every gate, up the street there was a primary school and a daycare centre. Looked like a reserved place for big shots in Pretoria with its high security, big walls and locked gates.

Men in blue overalls and masks were cutting grass and small stones flying everywhere, if you were not careful they would hurt you and the grass smelled damp and disgusting, adding to the fact that it had rained for three days in a row from tuesday to thursday.

“Ma'am, can I help you?” A tall, dark skinned mean looking guy asked her with a stern look. Whoever told soldiers to always pull a face when addressing people had been insane, those people were already ugly and having to look all mighty and mean was not flattering at all. She carried her laptop on her shoulder and locked the car, she was about to pass him when he stopped her. “Ma'am, before you pass, I have to screen you and your bags as well and you leave your keys with me.”

Ife's jaw dropped, screening? For what? And leave the key? Jesus. She wanted to protest but he meant business. “But I have an appointment with Mrs Williams at 4:00pm and I am late already.” They had given her the scholarship yet they didn't trust her?

“Ma'am, the more you talk the more time you will be wasting, if you could let me do my job?” The soldier opened a door to a room with a big screen monitor and cameras all over. A screening table like they had at the airports for luggage was near the exit. She had to put her hadbag and everything on a tray that passed through the screen. She was screened and handed a visitors card. “That wasn't difficult was it?” The soldier asked, smilling for the first time showing his yellow stained teeth. Ife said nothing and walked out of the room.

It was more like a home, the only difference was that there were no children playing on the freshly cut lawn, or a dog barking from a kennel around the yard. There were rose gardens separating the lawn, it was a beautiful place. She prepared herself, and knocked at the front door. It was not closed, gleaming parquet floors welcomed her into the warm house.

An elegant black lady called her in, she was in the kitchen making juice. “Welcome dear, would you like something to drink?” She asked in a Southern African english accent. Ife had never met the woman in her life but had read her profile on the Jewels of Africa website. An associate degree holder in social work, zimbabwean married women with two teenage children.

“Water will be fine thanks ma'am.” Ife said still at the kitchen door, she wouldn't dare take another step without being told to do so. The kitchen was furnished with floor to ceiling wall units and a sink at the center of the room.

“Please, go through that door, it will take you to the living room, when your there you will see the outside. I have set a place just by the pool, its warm and quite at that side. No cars honking every now and then.” She said gestering Ife to go there and wait for her.

The living room was combined with a dining room, the eating table was an italian master piece, a croco tavalo sedie suit. She walked out to the patio with sliding louvres and built-in braai leading to a sparkling pool, the table was already set by the pool.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:56pm On Aug 09, 2013

Once settled she started her machine and added finishing touches to her work. She had scored the highest marks in the first semester exams and had been given an opportunity to meet one of a platinum holder of the 90's Jewels of Africa scholarships.

Jewels of Africa was created by Linda Okonkwo, in 1975. A colored woman, half British half African after visiting Uganda for the first time and had felt a need to open doors for girls across the continent as the opportunities to study were given mostly to boys and to children from wealthy families. She wrote letters to NGO's in Britain and within a year, a trust fund was open given the name Jewels of Africa.

Since then, JOA had been involved in all kinds of investments around the continent, created schools, women empowerment centres in communities where women had never had an opportunity to stand on their own two feet. There were universities in northern Africa, southern Africa, Eastern Africa, Westen Africa and Central Africa that had a partnership with JOA and took recommended students by JOA after every four years.

“I see your ready to go.” Mrs Williams walked towards the table with a jug of water and a glass of juice.

“Urm yes.” Ife replied handing her a copy of her compiled work file.

“Let's talk about you, Ife-Oluwa. Work will have to wait, I want us to unwind.” Mrs williams pushed the files away and relaxed on her chair. “How is it living with three girls with different backgrounds? Do you get along?”

“Yes, its challenging but fun at the same time.” Ife relaxed on her chair too. The woman wanted to pry into their private life which was none of her business. “Girls will always be girls. Misunderstandings now and then but overall we are good.”

“I lived in the same flat too, met three girls from Cameroon, Congo and Tanzania. They were quite a crazy bunch, the Yoruba and Masaai ones.” Mrs Williams had decided to share a little with Ife, seeing that she was trying to avoid the topic.

“Which year did you come here?” Ife asked, maybe the woman wasn't prying afterall. “1996, I won a platinum JOA student of the 90's award. Your score has to be higher than the rest of the scores other girls have in all the universities that JOA qualifers attend.” She beaming, and showed Ife an award.

The whole afternoon they talked about their childhood, the challenges they face as women and tried to find a solution to their problems.

“Let's see your work, its getting late.” Mrs Williams took the file and paged through, while Ife waited with bated breath for an answer.

Mrs Williams smiling and nodding meant that she had done a good job.

“I see. Promising girl isn't she?” Ife feld a glow of happiness as she held the file of the girl she had choosen for the high school scholarship from JOA close to her chest.

It took her eight months to get the perfect girl and so far Mrs Williams seemed to like her work.

“I have to admit, your work is impressive, well researched and well written. And the description?” She winked at Ife, “I wouldn't know what I want if I don't give this girl a chance.” She placed the file down after observing it while they sipped their drinks in silence.

Ife looked at the setting sun then at her wrist watch slack jawed.

“Mrs Williams, it has been a pleasure meeting you. I would like to be excused if its okay with you ma'am.” Blissfully Mrs Williams nodded.

“Same here dear, will keep in touch?” Ife agreed gathering her stuff. It has been one long afternoon though she was happy that the deal was signed and sealed. She had been able to turn someone's life around.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
Ife dropped her laptop bag at the dining table turned den table. The aroma of grilled chicken making her salivate, Ts'oarelo was cooking. Malaika had been on the phone since she walked in, and Botshelo was watching a sitcom on tv. Why they were all relaxing while they had to study beat her.

“Lelo, please dish up o, I am hungry and I have to finish a module tonight!” She called from the den.

“Girl its friday for crying out loud, stop whining and come in here!” Ts'oarelo yelled from the kitchen. Malaika and Botshelo glowered at Ife.

“I am trying to watch television here Ife, if you don't mind.”

“And I am on a call here!” Malaika added angry, Ife shrugged and scrambled from the chair to join Ts'oarelo.

“What are you cooking?” Peeking in a pot on the stove. “Where is the chicken?” There was no sign of chicken in the stove oven or the microwave.

Ts'oarelo laughed, “Ife-Oluwa, stop.” She pushed her aside from the stove. “You will ruin the suprise, I am cooking something our ancestors used as staple food.”

Ife Ogled at the side of the pot swallowing. “Whatever it is smells dilicious, you should teach me how to cook it one of this days.”

Gaping Ts'oarelo replied. “Like you would teach me how to pound yam, mxm.”

“Pound yam?” Ife blinked, she couldn't. She took out the plates and headed to their den/dinning room. They only used that place for eating when Ts'oarelo had cooked, other days they ate lazing on the sofas or in the kitchen table.

Ts'oarelo was behind her carrying the pot, gloating. “Ladies, dinner is served!” She cooed and Malaika was at the table at once while Botshelo dragged her feet. “Ife-Oluwa, would you be a darling and dish up?” Ts'oarelo pushed a chair and sat down as the others followed suit.

“With a layer of nutritious grains seasoned with sweet spices, this dish makes a strong entree. All you will need is a glass of water and your good to go for the night.” The cook told them after Ife had dished up, smiling and carried on with her eating; fork to mouth. They ate in silence, each looked like they were in a mission to finish their food the flood Ts'oarelo with questions. With the last spoonful of the brownish meal; wheat grains mixed with brown beans. If pushed her plate aside and took out her laptop, getting ready to work.

“Ts'oarelo, that was delicious girl, I need that recipe when I graduate. My mom will hear it from me.” Malaika said pouting, she wasn't asking she was informing.

“Try harder Angie, that pout will not get you anywhere.” Ife told her.

“Will see about that.” Ts'oarelo interrupted the two with a wry grin.

Botshelo's movements had been sullen and lumbering the whole evening, her face numbed by corpulence, her natural resting expression a look of confusion. Ife wondered what was wrong, Botshelo had always been the talkative one, she always had something to say and would crap them up with jokes.

“Bots what's wrong? What's with the sullen face?” Ife asked concerned.

Botshelo got up and left for her room. “And now?” Ts'oarelo asked from the kitchen, she had collided with Botshelo on her way.

Malaika and Ife shrugged. “We could ask you, ya'll share a bedroom.” Said Malaika.

“Ai, I don't know, off to do the dishes, then I am hitting the sack.” Ts'oarelo excused herself, Malaika too veered to the bedroom, Ife packed up, there was no reason studying. Her mind was off again, her father's condition wasn't improving.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:16pm On Aug 09, 2013
⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵✽̤̈CHAPTER 7✽̤̈·̵·̵̭̌«̶⌣

Near the end of the landmark of North West Province, an hours walk from the popurlar robots that divided extension 2, extension 11, extension 8 and a busy caltex garage opposite road M17 from Mabopane to Garankuwa there is a extension 12. From the main road turning on the left RDP houses and shacks sat in rows down the road to extension 10.

A mixed race (Sotho/Igbo) Woman lived among many low class settlers of Soshanguve. This woman arrived in 2006 from Western Cape, after her husband died after being hit by lightening. She believed it was bad omen and had gathered all she had, her four daughters and came to look for greener pastures in Pretoria.

She had no working experience so she opted for opening her own salon in a one roomed shack her daughters helped her build. The business provided for all the basics and had help from the government grands her girls received monthly.

She hadn't slept without food on the table, her children were well taken care off and very smart. They had received names like; "magrigamba, makwerekwere and lowlives", Harsh words and open insults but still God kept her and her and her daughters safe.

The 2008 xenophobic attacks had them locked up in her sister's flat in town for a week as their lives were in danger.

One saturday afternoon, Nneka and her daughters were lying down on the freshly cut lawn, resting from the day's early tasks which included laundry, weekly shopping at Mabopane station, spring cleaning and vegetables chopping for sunday. She was fatigued and dozing off.

“Mma, there is a car at our gate look!” Anele the lastborn informed her getting up, her mother pulled her back by the ear and she sanked back on the fleece blanket they had used as a rag. Anele's sisters started twittering about the car, it was a toyota verso.

“Maybe its aunty Keddy and one of her rich boyfriends.” Arianna, the second of her twins whispered and the girls giggled. Their mother's sister had strings of boyfriends and didn't mind bringing them with her to Nneka's house.

Nneka felt pity for her sister's five year old daughter Ada who had to move around with her mother whenever she changed boyfriends, she was glad she had taken Ada to her father as she couldn't affort to look after four pre-teen girls and a five year old, the cost of living was too high.

“Mma! Mma! Its not aunty Keddy.” Amara the first twin poked her gesturing at the two approaching ladies.

“Its Karen Igho and Bervely Osu, see their swagg?” Barbie grimaced, admiring the two approaching ladies.

“Who are those?” Nneka queried pissed, her daughters loved anything Nigerian, which was a chapter she wanted to close so badly.

“Karen won Big Brother Africa Amplified and Beverly is that model on Oleku...” Arianna replied.

“Shut your dirty mouth! Your fourteen but talks like an eighteen year old.” Nneka gestured for them to go into the house, “Go and read your books, exams are approaching!.”

The girls left groaning but her word was final. She would punish them later, Keddy's bad habits would not ruin her girls.

“Good afternoon ma'am.” The celebrities as her daughters had called them were now standing a stone throw away from her. They really looked like they had just stepped from the tv studio, high heels, tight jeans, beautiful shirts and shoulder length weaves.

“Good afternoon ladies.” she got up and offered her hand, and called her youngest daughter to bring in a bench for the visitors. The girls took her hand and introduced themselves.

“We are from Jewels of Africa, I am Ife-Oluwa and this is Kehinde.” One of the girls said, taking a seat on the bench. “We are looking for Mrs Montsho, mother of Sebabatso Montsho from Reitumetse High School.”

“I am Mrs Montsho, what do you want with my daughter?” Nneka's heart sank, what did these yoruba people want? What on earth was Jewels of Africa? Why was the bad cloud hovering over her whenever she tried to forget about it?

“What is this Jewels something of yours?” She asked watching them. There was something wrong, she could feel it, like her past were finally catching up with her.

The one who said she was Ife opened the red laptop bag and took out a small laptop.

“Jewels of Africa is a Non-Governmental-Organisation created for African women. It scouts for only the smartest girls in their last year of high school and offer them a scholarship of her choice in any of the ten top Universities in the continent.”

Still Nneka didn't understand what it had to do with Barbie, she was in grade10 and had two more years to finish high school. At the corner of her eye she could see Barbie between the curtains in the sitting room, the girl have heard it all as the window was wide open.

“Ladies my daughter is in grade10, she has two more years in high school.”

“Yes, we are aware of that but the thing is Sebabatso had already written quartely exams with the matric students and had aced them all.”

Was this some kind of a joke? Barbie? “I don't understand, erm...”

“Ife-Oluwa. here,” the lady handed her a copy of her daughter's results from January to October. “I think that will explain things? The thing is we are not allowed to make decisions before meeting the parents so if it okay with you...”

“Do you mean Barbie will be writing grade 12 exams this year?” Nneka interrupted. The lady nodded. “That's impossible, they are on monday!” She screamed. How can a 15year old be this wicked to her own mother? Nobody has ever failed a class in her family, they just had a habit of dropping out.

“Ladies, could the school get back to you?” She needed to talk to Barbie and her teachers. They had no right to take promote her child without her consent.

“Ofcourse ma'am, thank you for your time.” The ladies picked they stuff and left.

“So you knew about this?” Nneka had cornered her eldest daughter in her room. After the Yorubas had left she had called Barbie in, enraged and disappointed.

“The exams were just for fun ma, I wrote them with other six grade ten learners. I didn't know they would choose me to finally write matric. I have been preparing though, just in case.”

“So you knew huh? Do I look like an idiot? Child I am your mother and you shouldn't hide things like this from me.” Nneka was trembling and swallowing tears, her daughter had never seen her cry and she wasn't going to.

“Why are you so upset mama?”

Why was she upset? “Sebabatso! Sebabatso, Sebabatso?”

“Mma?”

“How many times have I called you?”

“Three times.”

“Three times what?”

“Three times Iya Anele.”

“Now, you sit your silly behind on that floor and listen to me, very carefully.” Barbie sat down on the cold cement floor.
“Nneka Okere was a very smart child, her daddy's little girl. When I was 17, daddy got sick and my mother came back to South Africa since dad couldn't provide for her. She left me behind, I wanted to be with my father.” She blew her nose, fighting back the tears, Nneka never cried.

“Since we lived in a Yorubaland, father was not a favourite of many people, mother had been a bridge for between us and the Yorubas. Father had a dispute with my professor due to my unfaily failure of my first semester. The case didn't go so well and he was banned out of the state.”

Her daughter was crying, “Sebabatso Montsho! The Okere children do not shed tears over human hatred. Wipe those tears, your here to listen not cry, who died? Mtcheew!” Barbie wiped her tears gravely.

She remembered how day after day she would wish her father would come for her. Studies became unbearable, her peers hated her and she bacame isolated. Few months her father died and nobody from his family came for her. The only person who talked to her was the arts Professor, he took her father's position and they got closer. A year later she was in a hospital in labor, the Professor's wife had bribed her.

“Don't you have a family?” The woman had asked, before she was to deliver.

“Not that I know off, I was born and raised in this state. My mother is in South Africa.”

“Good, you will have to leave as soon as you give birth, you can't see the child. I will give you money to go look for your mother and don't ever step your foot in this state ever again.” The woman had warned her sternly. She had looked at her tummy,

“I can't leave my child!”

“Your Igbo and we are Yorubas, and your not welcome into our house. Oya tell me, what does a child like you know about children? You want my husband's child to be raised like a bastard eh?”

“What do you mean?”

“Don't you know that this man you were sleeping with is the reason your father left this state?”

She had remembered then that the case was handled by the senior Professor of the department not the lecturer. How wicked the man had been? To take away her father and ruin her life? She decided to leave the child behind and take the money as she would never love that child.

“So you left when?” Barbie asked fidgeting with her fingers.

“After seven market days, I didn't hold the child, nor know the child's sex.” She recalled. It was getting dark outside and they had to prepare dinner.

“I will go and see your teachers on monday, you will write the exams and I will see if I can go to that Jewels of Africa offices and talk to them. No child of mine will take rules from the Yorubas! Not in South Africa. Okere would have to turn in his grave o.”

“Thank you Ma,” Barbie got up and threw herself at her mother, “Despite all that you got married to Papa and raised us very well. I am proud of you.”

She patted her daughter on the back, “Now go and read your books, I am proud of you too dear.” She let her daughter go and went into the living room to give orders, Barbie would have to take time off her chores until the exams were over. Once again the 'legrikamba' child had proven to be smarter than the children in her street, her daughter was just not intelligent but smart also.

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa by Chuksemi(m): 7:31pm On Aug 09, 2013
That was an amazing write up. Thumbs up ma.
Re: Jewels Of Africa by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:25pm On Aug 09, 2013
Chuksemi: That was an amazing write up. Thumbs up ma.
thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / Letter To My Friend Overseas / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.