Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me (4495 Views)

Similarities / Differences Btw Chassis & Engine Nos / An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by olaayo105(m): 7:18am On Mar 30, 2013
Good day my people,

please I want you to advice me on this issue, I got an accident with my 1998 VW Passat Wagon, and the driver side front Chassis was damage. My question is that can I cut golf chassis to replace it or I should look for his own type?

Urgent reply is needed, Please.

Thank you,

Muyiwa

Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by baconline(m): 7:12pm On Mar 30, 2013
Look for d same type, if u want yur car to come back to its original state then stick to d same replacement parts
Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by olaayo105(m): 8:21am On Mar 31, 2013
baconline: Look for d same type, if u want yur car to come back to its original state then stick to d same replacement parts

thank you
Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 31, 2013
When it comes to chassis / frame distortion, the ONLY option is to replace it with the same part, either from another car, same make and model, or brand new.

To be honest, the damage to your car looks too extensive to repair to factory specification, at least from a financial standpoint. You do realise the motor, transmission and suspension need to be pulled, to effect a good repair? And the car really needs to go on a jig, otherwise it'll never drive straight. Excessive tyre wear will be the least of your problems.

Also, ask to see a sample of their welding - this is very important. If the integrity of the repair is compromised, the welded-on frame rail can twist, and separate from the rest of the car, with dire consequences. The transmission mount is built into the damaged chassis rail of your car, so I'd be wary.

If your bodyshop doesn't have a jig, I would advise you find one that does, or just cut your losses, and call it a day.

All the best getting her back in shape.
Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 31, 2013
Wow. I've just noticed both airbags deployed. This effectively totals the car, especially the passenger's side, which due to its location behind the dash fascia, ruptures the entire assembly.
Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 31, 2013
OP, why would you consider fixing this car? Is it economics or that you actually will trust the end repair?

IMHO, that car is a goner from both an economic and safety perspective.
Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 07, 2013
It would be far better to buy another Volkswagen Passat Variant B4 with a blown engine and tranny, and get your parts swapped in.

Assuming your engine and transmission didn't suffer catastrophic damage in the smash.

Out of interest, what did the car run into? The damage looks like it came from running into a truck, or even a house.
Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by Denn(m): 3:35pm On Apr 07, 2013
@ op and Siena,
The average accidented american cars being sold after repairs to Nigeria sometimes look like the op's car. That's why I will always prefer a new korean to a fairly used jap...at least one is sure coming straight from the factory....you can never tell what abuse the other slave had gone through...

The big question is will the repair actually revert the car to 'before accident' status or it will majorly be cosmetic in nature?

I feel so many flaws will not be corrected (cost benefit analysis) as the 'new' one costs less than N500,000.

Except its a ford model T or a mercedes gullwing from the 1960s, I will advise you sell as scrap then buy a car in a better condition.
Re: Chassis Damage.... Please Advice Me by sultaan(m): 5:07pm On Apr 07, 2013
This is an opportunity to get another car, that one will be expensive to fix and a continuous trouble to keep driving so you will still end up selling it for less. So bite the bullet now.

Your mech will advise you to fix it for about N100k you will find out it will cost a lot more after spending N100k, then you may have to sell it to him or one of his buyers for N150k maybe he'll dash you money to take cab home grin grin grin because he just made money off you. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Electric tuks in Nigeria / Can I Renew My Driver's License?expired 10 Months Ago / Top 5 Cars The Nigerian Police Are Usually Afraid To Stop At Checkpoints

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.