Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,464 members, 7,843,430 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream (21759 Views)

How To Confirm US Lottery Visa. / African Migrants Abandon The American Dream / Dv Lottery Winners Pls Advice: Is There A Secret For Winning The Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Gbabe2: 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
My brother,we are Nigerians.We are distinct in every way by Gods grace.We can survive anywhere.
I am always inspired by Nigerian folks that made it in life despite their shortcomings and poor backgrounds.A typical example i read just of recent is MKO.He did almost everything possible for him to go to school then.He got scholarship then and by Gods grace he excelled despite his low estate/poor and difficult background.
We should never accept defeat.How many Nigerians have you heard that committed suicide all because he or she was depressed or unemployed or in debt?We are born Rugged due to the difficult terrain we all grew up (no light,no good road,no good school,no good health facility,high rate of unemployment).Have a focus in life.I wont deceive you,there are better and many opportunities here in the so called depressed economy (USA).If you have a good job back home,it might not worth it coming down here because its starting all over again but i hate it when people come on social network and say rubbish.It might not work for you and that does not mean you should discourage others.
I lived in England between 2004 and 2009 before i got repatriated back to Nigeria.I never felt bad.I picked up my life and moved forward before this opportunity now came.Peeps,have a goal in life,run the race and be prepared to face challenges in life.Whose report will you believe in life?A typical example is Joshua,Caleb and ten others that were asked to spy on Canan land.Some saw GIANTS there but Joshua and Caleb saw God overpower their giants.Life is full of challenges. Dont kill your dreams and dont allow anyone to kill your dreams in life.GOD HAS A PURPOSE FOR US ALL

lady gogo:

Your story is an inspiration. I love your never say die attitude. Thumbs up.

5 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladygogo: 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
chiwuike20:
And u think if d 'skilled and professionals' were yardstick in d selection of immigrants, u wud be selected? Even if it were so, it wud not reduce d multitude of people playing d DV lottery

Im not interested in moving to America darling. That will never happen. Besides, allowing only those that are skilled in trades and professionals will drastically reduce the no of lottery players, because not just every tom dick and harry with high school education will be qualified. we all know how that panned out for other western countries with immigration policies.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by publisher(m): 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
LOL...I've just been laughing at some of the Nigerians residing in the US and claiming their successes on NAIRALAND.

My only question now is, can any 'successful' Americana on this thread claim to be richer or more successful than Nairaland's CEO Seun? Seun is based in Nigeria,nurtured Nairaland in Nigeria, makes his money in Nigeria. While many 'Americanahs' on this thread probably work 3 jobs in order to live their American dream-a Seun (or a Linda Ikeji) can travel to America at will,rock the place and come back to Nigeria to continue making their money.

The other guy that claims to be earning 60k USD salary; u'd be surprised that taxation takes almost 60% of that amount.

My point is, immigration is ok,and America has its own good and bad sides BUT i declare that NIGERIA is the only country where a BLACK MAN/WOMAN can pursue unlimited success,achieve it and chop his/her money in 'relative' peace...forget the crimes and kidnapping,it can happen anywhere-na God dey protect person.

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Irokoroots: 9:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
Gbabe 2: Bros its a lie.I left Nigeria 10 months ago with a visa lottery and i dont have any regret today.I was an Assistant Manager (Internal Audit) with an Insurance Company in VI when i won a Visa lottery.Also,I am an ACCA Chartered Accountant,a Certified Information System Auditor (CISA),a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) and Certified Forensic Accountant (CrFA) when i left nigeria last December.By Gods grace i also had a Savings of 10000 USD with me when i left Lagos and i can tell you today i have no regrets at all.
First and foremost,i started with this Certified medical Training (CMT) in Baltimore Maryland.After 3 months i got a job with the training and i was working as a care giver (cleaning and bathing the disabled and handicaps).If you have ever heard of Chimes Incorporation Baltimore,Maryland that was were i started with all my certificates and exposures.I wont deceive you,if i didn't do that my host was ready to throw me out then (March 2013).But i never lost my vision and dreams.With the little i was earning cleaning the disabled,i got a small car to push me around and was still applying for my accounting and audit jobs.I attended more than 40 different interviews both within and outside of Baltimore,MD.Severally i drove to Annapolis (State Capital) for interviews and i had no regrets.A lot of people told me i cant get an Accounting Job but i didnt allow their stupid,naive and parochial way of thinking to stop me.Peeps,we all know where we are going to.Some 1000miles and some 50 miles journey in life and which i believe will help you to prepare and fortify yourself.Guess what?i also started my CPA examinations instantly just to add value to my self and i have no regret at all.
By Gods grace,today i have an Audit job with an international organization here in Baltimore,MD.I earn 60K USD and i will travel to 23 states in USA and 4 different Continents with my new role as International Financial Auditor (after 9 months of Job hunting).
Dont ever under estimate yourself.Look beyond your hindrances and always pray to God for mercies and unusual favor.God has a purpose for you coming to United States.Dont cage yourself and dont ever listen to failures.Today,by Gods grace people come to me and ask how i did it.
I have no regrets at all by his grace

@Gbabe, I took the time to read your previous posts and can say that your life is full of testimonies and favor. I really admire your tenacious spirit. I did my undergrad in Bmore and can tell you that your story is one in a million. Being that you have been in the country only for a while and now have a good job, I will advice you to do all you can to get a house as quickyly as possible, no matter how small. Not owning propety is a common mistake we immigrants make. I do wish you luck in your CPA exam and look forward to your post of you getting a job that pays USD120k (amen to that). God is with you my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Gbabe2: 9:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
@PUBLISHER.No one is claiming to be successful here.It is not an end itself but a means to an End.Dont drag people into this discussion.Have you heard of a Nigerian born entrepreneur Chinedu Echeruo?he attended Kings College before relocating here.He excelled in everything he touched.He recently sold one application worth billions of naira.We are not claiming success or arrival.All we are just trying to pass across is that pursue your dreams and dont allow people that are uninformed to discourage people.
For instance you said i pay 40 percent as taxes.
do you know you pay as you earn?Dont allow people to bambooz you with their rubbish.People pay taxes in advance countries as they earn.The more you earn the more you pay.Moreover which one will you prefer bros?you pay taxes and you can live a decent life.I rather pay taxes and live a comfortable,progressive and better life than not.It is like we dont even know how things should be any more.We are used to bad roads,high rate of unemployment,NURTW disturbances,ASUU strike etc and we cant even think straight any longer.
Am happy for Seun.He's intelligent and wise.I pray God should increase his wisdom ,knowledge and understanding but how many Seun do we have around?Do you know how many unemployed graduate we have?they cant even afford to eat not to talk of knowing were they are going to?Do you know how many lives are on the line because of this ASUU strike?I strongly believe in Nigeria but will always seek a better life.If your dad can afford three course meal for you does not mean every body can.Publisher or whatever you are called,say only whatever you know and keep quiet if you dont have any reasonable thing to say.I believe IN NIGERIA BUT PEOPLE SHOULD NOT SAY WHAT THEIR SO CALLED EGBON OR DADDY TOLD THEM.

publisher: LOL...I've just been laughing at some of the Nigerians residing in the US and claiming their successes on NAIRALAND.

My only question now is, can any 'successful' Americana on this thread claim to be richer or more successful than Nairaland's CEO Seun? Seun is based in Nigeria,nurtured Nairaland in Nigeria, makes his money in Nigeria. While many 'Americanahs' on this thread probably work 3 jobs in order to live their American dream-a Seun (or a Linda Ikeji) can travel to America at will,rock the place and come back to Nigeria to continue making their money.

The other guy that claims to be earning 60k USD salary; u'd be surprised that taxation takes almost 60% of that amount.

My point is, immigration is ok,and America has its own good and bad sides BUT i declare that NIGERIA is the only country where a BLACK MAN/WOMAN can pursue unlimited success,achieve it and chop his/her money in 'relative' peace...forget the crimes and kidnapping,it can happen anywhere-na God dey protect person.

4 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Gbabe2: 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thanks my brother.This is an example of people of like minds.
I am praying that God will fulfill your dreams as well.Unlike some people that are associated with some so called politicians and yet come on nairaland and say rubbish.I wish you as well all the best in life ooooooo.

@Gbabe, I took the time to read your previous posts and can say that your life is full of testimonies and favor. I really admire your tenacious spirit. I did my undergrad in Bmore and can tell you that your story is one in a million. Being that you have been in the country only for a while and now have a good job, I will advice you to do all you can to get a house as quickyly as possible, no matter how small. Not owning propety is a common mistake we immigrants make. I do wish you luck in your CPA exam and look forward to your post of you getting a job that pays USD120k (amen to that). God is with you my brother.

[/quote]
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by publisher(m): 10:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
Gbabe 2: @PUBLISHER.No one is claiming to be successful here.It is not an end itself but a means to an End.Dont drag people into this discussion.Have you heard of a Nigerian born entrepreneur Chinedu Echeruo?he attended Kings College before relocating here.He excelled in everything he touched.He recently sold one application worth billions of naira.We are not claiming success or arrival.All we are just trying to pass across is that pursue your dreams and dont allow people that are uninformed to discourage people.
For instance you said i pay 40 percent as taxes.
do you know you pay as you earn?Dont allow people to bambooz you with their rubbish.People pay taxes in advance countries as they earn.The more you earn the more you pay.Moreover which one will you prefer bros?you pay taxes and you can live a decent life.I rather pay taxes and live a comfortable,progressive and better life than not.It is like we dont even know how things should be any more.We are used to bad roads,high rate of unemployment,NURTW disturbances,ASUU strike etc and we cant even think straight any longer.
Am happy for Seun.He's intelligent and wise.I pray God should increase his wisdom ,knowledge and understanding but how many Seun do we have around?Do you know how many unemployed graduate we have?they cant even afford to eat not to talk of knowing were they are going to?Do you know how many lives are on the line because of this ASUU strike?I strongly believe in Nigeria but will always seek a better life.If your dad can afford three course meal for you does not mean every body can.Publisher or whatever you are called,say only whatever you know and keep quiet if you dont have any reasonable thing to say.I believe IN NIGERIA BUT PEOPLE SHOULD NOT SAY WHAT THEIR SO CALLED EGBON OR DADDY TOLD THEM.

Brother,u came on this thread and decided to focus on the positive side of the USA; Is it now a crime to focus on the positive sides of NIGERIA?

U mentioned ASUU strike just now,as bad as it is,there are still many private Nigerian universities with thousands of students not affected by the strike. But with the way u sounded,a foreigner may assume that every single Nigerian university student is stranded at home. Not making any excuses for Nigerian govt.vs ASUU-they are both As$holes.

My only problem with a lot of Nigerians in the diaspora is that they somewhat love to celebrate Nigeria's problems and bombard their little minds with such NEGATIVE thoughts on Nigeria. As if to justify their mediocre lives in foreign lands.

I only mentioned Seun/Linda Ikeji and you are 'shaking'; i havent even talked about the young artistes,actors,fashion designers,the young brains behind Jumia, Konga etc.-all doing it big in Naija without any prior political connect.

5 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by publisher(m): 10:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
Last last,success and favour can find anyone,even in Somalia.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Gbabe2: 10:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
Now i know and can understand.
I thought you are a matured mind but now i can understand where you are coming from.
I beg oooooo no vex.
No vex ooooooooooo.Oga on top pikin.

publisher:
Brother,u came on this thread and decided to focus on the positive side of the USA; Is it now a crime to focus on the positive sides of NIGERIA?

U mentioned ASUU strike just now,as bad as it is,there are still many private Nigerian universities with thousands of students not affected by the strike. But with the way u sounded,a foreigner may assume that every single Nigerian university student is stranded at home. Not making any excuses for Nigerian govt.vs ASUU-they are both As$holes.

My only problem with a lot of Nigerians in the diaspora is that they somewhat love to celebrate Nigeria's problems and bombard their little minds with such NEGATIVE thoughts on Nigeria. As if to justify their mediocre lives in foreign lands.

I only mentioned Seun/Linda Ikeji and you are 'shaking'; i havent even talked about the young artistes,actors,fashion designers,the young brains behind Jumia, Konga etc.-all doing it big in Naija without any prior political connect.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ifebosco: 10:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
dasparrow:

@Bolded

This is what I keep telling people. I will not discourage anyone from migrating and looking for greener pastures but with the way things currently are in the western world, I will strongly advise anyone who already has a job in their home country and are living a comfortable life to stay put. The economic recession in the western world is still lingering on and jobs are hard to come by even for people who are born and raised in America and hold advanced degrees from American universities. It is rough out there. Even Nigerian-Americans - in other words Americans born and raised in America to Nigerian parents - are coming to Nigeria and looking for ways to get a job and settle here if the opportunity presents itself. The western world is not what it used to be in comparison to what it was when I went back there in the 90s.

@Post

I can relate to this article because I also suffered severe stomach problems when I first migrated to USA in the late 90s. Due to poor nutrition when I first arrived, I developed a severe stomach virus that required me to go for an endoscopy and then be placed on strong antibiotics. I really suffered when I first arrived in the USA. Looking back, you can't pay me to go through that kind of suffering again especially because America is no longer what she used to be as a nation. I watched with shock as so many indigenous Americans lost their homes because they could no longer make their mortgage payments. I watched as so many indigenous Americans had to sell their cars for dirt cheap just to pay their bills and I watched many indigenous Americans in their 20s and 30s moving back in with their aging parents because they have no jobs and as such cannot afford rent and are forced to live with their parents again. Others are postponing starting a family because they can barely afford to provide for themselves talk less of providing for children.

The world has become a tough place. I feel sorry for our generation but feel even worse for the future generations. The western world used to be some kind of a haven for people from poorer countries to go to and start life afresh while giving them an opportunity for a better life. But now that the western world is going through a seemingly never ending recession and tightening her borders, I wonder where people from developing countries go to now in search for greener pastures? Hmmmm.

give nigeria basic infrastructure and see how oyibo go troop for naija
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Allohrandy(m): 10:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
soul_glo:

Why? Were they forced to file to travel to the US? They made the choice. Then on top of all of that they moved to New York. When there are parts of the US they could have moved to and paid half of that amount for a 3 bedroom. Planning is everything. With their Visa and the types of jobs they had they actually would have qualified at the very least for food vouchers. They could have also qualified for financial aid to go to school and take English as a second language class. In fact with the income they were getting ALL of that would most likely be covered by financial aid. So again it is about planning. No one is going to spoon feed you. There are agencies set up everywhere for things like these. Both government sponsored and Charities.
. New or recent immigrants don't qualify for welfare, Obama care, foodstamp and financial aid in most states in America. Most states require the green card holder to have reside at least 5 years in their state before qualifying for welfare. However, there is exception like if the greencard holder give birth to a baby while in the state then she and her baby can qualify for food stamp, medicare and welfare . Lots of illegal mexicans do that to get welfare in California.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Lagishan: 10:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
publisher:

I dnt understand you, there is success and failure everywhere on earth. You sound jealous. He responded to those sounding as if it is all hardship for those abroad, and tried to let us see that there are also lots of success stories. These people you mentioned are a very minute percentage of the youth populace. The universal consent is governed by the majority. Right now majority of the Nigerian students are stranded, majoity of Nigerian youths are either unemployed or under employed, and I believe the percentage of Nigerians doing well abroad is higher.

3 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladygogo: 11:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
Now i know and can understand.
I thought you are a matured mind but now i can understand where you are coming from.
I beg oooooo no vex.
No vex ooooooooooo.Oga on top pikin.

WHy are you wasting your time? let him continue wallowing in his ignorance.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by pickabeau1: 11:07pm On Nov 12, 2013
Gbabe.. pls ignore the dude..

Your tenacity amidst the odds is inspiring.....
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by aadejesu: 11:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
wait ooooo, the article says she's receiving 400 dollars a week, and her son contributes another 400 in a month. that is like 2000 a month, about 320,000 in naira. a lot of Americans don't make up to this in a month and never complain. based on the amount she's earning, there is more to this story IMO.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by gbollykore: 11:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
America is the place any day, anytime, just find a niche, develop your skills and improve yourself, the system is designed to work in your favor, are you going to pick money on the street? no
the opportunities are huge, if you have kids they can go to very good public schools for free, compared to the millions that people have to pay in naija, the truth is nothing is free, you have to work hard in life to succeed in life

God bless America!
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Akalia(m): 1:23am On Nov 13, 2013
;DThe plight immigrants suffer in the US is nothing to b compared to what Nigeria graduates suffer in d name of unemployment. Me I want dat DV lottery o.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by benom(m): 3:14am On Nov 13, 2013
Some comments here are completely uninformed. The US has never been the problem. The problems are the immigrant. How do you move to a new place where you do not have any form if personal support without a concrete plan. Some immigrants do not do any form of research into their destination. It is tough to start afresh in a new country. But most often, it becomes a huge blessing if you plan appropriately.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 3:39am On Nov 13, 2013
[quote author=Somorin#1]

$1,000 per month is not actually that high for rent. Sure he can get cheaper but he also needs to balance that with easy access to work, etc

All in all this family made a lot of miscalculations.

PS: I've lived in the US since 1986 and I've never been followed so it's a misconception. Keep your nose clean and no one gives a hoot what color of skin you have. At least in my experience but I don't habitate slummy parts or move with dodgy characters
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Oludrex(m): 4:15am On Nov 13, 2013
lady flavour: plan or no plan, if luck smile on u then carry go....its nt by power.....
People keep sayin plan .. Not against plannin bt a lot of unseen circumstances .. When your ur Plans go as planned, U shud thank your stars cos it could have been a different result on a different day
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Oludrex(m): 4:20am On Nov 13, 2013
May sound wrong .. Things r really hard here and the security is low bt I still strongly believe I have a Clearer shot to making my dreams come true in Naija than in state or all this socialist country.. Ve seen people make it big here,I think I can and I will

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Allohrandy(m): 5:15am On Nov 13, 2013
Oludrex:
People keep sayin plan .. Not against plannin bt a lot of unseen circumstances .. When your ur Plans go as planned, U shud thank your stars cos it could have been a different result on a different day
To be successful in life, you need a good plan but you also need luck or Gods favour. There are many people with good plans and also work hard but are not lucky to succeed.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 5:24am On Nov 13, 2013
lady gogo:

No . it hasnt. https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ it was put on hold in some specific countries because they had exceeded their quota for those countries or something of that sort.

Yes it has, in Nigeria for 2015.

Visa lottery was always only available in specific countries.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by kobonaire(m): 6:00am On Nov 13, 2013
she does not speak english, does not have any marketable jobs skills, she cannot even get a job in togo forget usa
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by birdman(m): 6:02am On Nov 13, 2013
Gbabe 2: Bros its a lie.I left Nigeria 10 months ago with a visa lottery and i dont have any regret today.I was an Assistant Manager (Internal Audit) with an Insurance Company in VI when i won a Visa lottery.Also,I am an ACCA Chartered Accountant,a Certified Information System Auditor (CISA),a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) and Certified Forensic Accountant (CrFA) when i left nigeria last December.By Gods grace i also had a Savings of 10000 USD with me when i left Lagos and i can tell you today i have no regrets at all.
First and foremost,i started with this Certified medical Training (CMT) in Baltimore Maryland.After 3 months i got a job with the training and i was working as a care giver (cleaning and bathing the disabled and handicaps).If you have ever heard of Chimes Incorporation Baltimore,Maryland that was were i started with all my certificates and exposures.I wont deceive you,if i didn't do that my host was ready to throw me out then (March 2013).But i never lost my vision and dreams.With the little i was earning cleaning the disabled,i got a small car to push me around and was still applying for my accounting and audit jobs.I attended more than 40 different interviews both within and outside of Baltimore,MD.Severally i drove to Annapolis (State Capital) for interviews and i had no regrets.A lot of people told me i cant get an Accounting Job but i didnt allow their stupid,naive and parochial way of thinking to stop me.Peeps,we all know where we are going to.Some 1000miles and some 50 miles journey in life and which i believe will help you to prepare and fortify yourself.Guess what?i also started my CPA examinations instantly just to add value to my self and i have no regret at all.
By Gods grace,today i have an Audit job with an international organization here in Baltimore,MD.I earn 60K USD and i will travel to 23 states in USA and 4 different Continents with my new role as International Financial Auditor (after 9 months of Job hunting).
Dont ever under estimate yourself.Look beyond your hindrances and always pray to God for mercies and unusual favor.God has a purpose for you coming to United States.Dont cage yourself and dont ever listen to failures.Today,by Gods grace people come to me and ask how i did it.
I have no regrets at all by his grace

Inspirational story. I think what people should take away is that you are likely a single man, so you could hang in there with no income for 9 months. You are young and have no other mouths to feed. You are the ideal immigrant. The issue is when some oga with comfortable lifestyle decides to uproot his family because of lottery. It is still doable, but dear God...

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by tomX1(m): 6:51am On Nov 13, 2013
aadejesu: wait ooooo, the article says she's receiving 400 dollars a week, and her son contributes another 400 in a month. that is like 2000 a month, about 320,000 in naira. a lot of Americans don't make up to this in a month and never complain. based on the amount she's earning, there is more to this story IMO.

Well she does pay rent of $1k per month and when you factor in their medical expenses for this aging couple plagued with diseases and then throw in other bills and dont forget tax. She probably dont have enough to go on.

My take has always been that if you live in a place where you spend over 10% percent of your income on rent then that place is too expensive for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by AK481(m): 8:54am On Nov 13, 2013
Fadelex: it's not as if it's so bad here... imagine paying $1,000 per months for house rent for just 2 bedroom flat. how can I leave my job (I'm lucky to have it), my profession, my family and bright future here in Nigeria to go and meet uncertainty in America, where I will be followed cuz of d colour of my skin, where I won't have freedom.

it's not always greener at the other side. may God help us.

it depends on where u rented the house.a 2 bedroom flat in lekki or asokoro is more than 160,000 naira per month or 2 milla per month.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Fadelex(m): 9:32am On Nov 13, 2013
AK 48:

it depends on where u rented the house.a 2 bedroom flat in lekki or asokoro is more than 160,000 naira per month or 2 milla per month.
but I'm sure that place is not equivalent of lekki and asokoro.... normal 3 bedroom flat goes for 1.6million in asokoro per annum... that's $10,000 .
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Originalsly: 1:08pm On Nov 13, 2013
As I see it... the problem is they never looked before they leaped....never took time to find out what they would be facing in the US in terms of housing, employment and most of all support. They made the same mistake again by leaving NY and going to another state...then having to move back to Queens, NY. Queens is the most diverse metro area on the planet...whatever your culture you will find it there. But Queens is part of NY City and is very expensive.."slum area" or not...you are not paying $1000/month for a one bedroom apt unless you are very very very very lucky. Their $2000/month would call for serious careful spending since it would almost all go to bills...rent, electricity, gas and transportation ...and yes...they have to eat. I wouldn't even consider health...because health bills are through the roof. I would advise anyone to take the opportunity to follow through and travel if they win the lottery....establish residency...but if you are established, comfortable and fairly successful in Nigeria or wherever...don't abandon your gains in the belief that things would definitely be better in the US....especially as in this case...going into uncertainty with your entire family. Times have changed....it is harder for Americans andbwould be harder for you...but...getting there can open a new world of opportunities and ideas that can improve your already good life at home and have the opportunity to travel back and forth as you please. This family has shut the door on themselves to return and regroup and try again.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by chiwuike20: 1:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
lady gogo:

Im not interested in moving to America darling. That will never happen. Besides, allowing only those that are skilled in trades and professionals will drastically reduce the no of lottery players, because not just every tom dick and harry with high school education will be qualified. we all know how that panned out for other western countries with immigration policies.
Maybe u should make a research on d traffic of migrants thru DVlottery, whether its d skilled or unskilled. Im patient 2 get ur findings
I also observe u have dis digust 4 d high school cert holders, 4getting dat some of d worlds richest men were high school holders who provided employment 4 unemployed graduates like urself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Die As Car Plunges Into Omo River On Sagamu-benin Expressway / Fatal Accident Between Truck And Keke Leaves Two Dead In Imo State. Photos / Nigerian Immigration To Introduce Various Visa Categories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.