Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,383 members, 7,846,620 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream (21760 Views)

How To Confirm US Lottery Visa. / African Migrants Abandon The American Dream / Dv Lottery Winners Pls Advice: Is There A Secret For Winning The Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by pickabeau1: 2:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
Maybe she is living in such a county to get access to better schooling for kids
@tomX:

Well she does pay rent of $1k per month and when you factor in their medical expenses for this aging couple plagued with diseases and then throw in other bills and dont forget tax. She probably dont have enough to go on.

My take has always been that if you live in a place where you spend over 10% percent of your income on rent then that place is too expensive for you.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 13, 2013
Pretty sad. My uncle n his family got da DV visa 1999,moved over and got down to 3 beats...but he made it big time: land in Lekki,crib in Benin,buick 4 wifey,...n few years ago,tripped his entire family over to NY and his 3rd soon now mariner in Afghanistan....well,i guess this a case of Warri, sorry, Naija nĂ³ dey carry last..
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by dizzyk: 6:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
The truth is this and very honest as someone that visits both EU and America, there are problems everywhere, the difference is that the problems vary, security is a problem in both world (Nigeria and west) only the dimension differs. What most people dont understand is that when you get there is when you get to see the true picture....Jobless people are in America too with College degrees. Was in NY a few days ago and it was in the news that someone went into a family home and hacked all to death, was in South Side of Chicago sometimes in August 2011 when a pregnant young lady was shot to death even after pleading, these are social problems that are in the US and Europe too as we have kidnap, corruption in Nigeria, but in my own very. In Jackson station where you change from blue line to red line in NY metro, there are always jobless Americans playing music in train station begging for money. In Times Square, an American has begged for $1 from me, these happens everywhere. My brother left 11 years ago saying all he needed was 2 years of work then he will come back to set up a Printing press, that was 2002....ask me, maybe he will set up the press in 2014. he just got caught in realising the american dream, he had to spend fortune to become citizen, now he is approaching 50..what can he do? only to "play along".
My candid advice, "Look before you leap". Nigeria may not be economically good, but it is better than getting stranded in Europe or America...ask Majek Fashek

5 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 13, 2013
OMG....O MA GA O..

well, God dey.. Im close to tears reading this...
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 13, 2013
publisher:
Brother,u came on this thread and decided to focus on the positive side of the USA; Is it now a crime to focus on the positive sides of NIGERIA?

U mentioned ASUU strike just now,as bad as it is,there are still many private Nigerian universities with thousands of students not affected by the strike. But with the way u sounded,a foreigner may assume that every single Nigerian university student is stranded at home. Not making any excuses for Nigerian govt.vs ASUU-they are both As$holes.

My only problem with a lot of Nigerians in the diaspora is that they somewhat love to celebrate Nigeria's problems and bombard their little minds with such NEGATIVE thoughts on Nigeria. As if to justify their mediocre lives in foreign lands.

I only mentioned Seun/Linda Ikeji and you are 'shaking'; i havent even talked about the young artistes,actors,fashion designers,the young brains behind Jumia, Konga etc.-all doing it big in Naija without any prior political connect.
Fool Jumia and Konga all have foreign investors like ROcket and Tiger SA... None!!!! I REPEAT NONE WAS FUNDED BY Nigerians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUOTE ME ANYWHERE THESE COMPANIES ARE IN PARTNERSHIP WITH MY COMPANY SO I KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by nylawal(m): 11:10pm On Nov 13, 2013
tpia@:

they know what they're doing, they're not s.tupid.

people just assume they are.

3 thumbs up! It is the new world order, call it modern day slavery, cheap labour or the caste system. Why do you think they have social security numbers? Let he/she who have ears hear or listen.

I wish Nigerians over there will come out with their testimonies, rather than the hush hush. Emigrate to the US and u don hammer! All is make believe... Hollywood.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by soulglo: 11:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
Allohrandy: . New or recent immigrants don't qualify for welfare, Obama care, foodstamp and financial aid in most states in America. Most states require the green card holder to have reside at least 5 years in their state before qualifying for welfare. However, there is exception like if the greencard holder give birth to a baby while in the state then she and her baby can qualify for food stamp, medicare and welfare . Lots of illegal mexicans do that to get welfare in California.

If you come to the US with a green card today you qualify for a financial aid for school today. It is a federal grant. Not state. Not really sure about states laws when it comes to foodstamps etc but you mentioned that some states allow it. It is simple then. They should have moved to a state that allows it. You even gave examples of illegal aliens finding a way to navigate the system to their benefit. So what excuses do those who are here legally have. They are green card holders so they are paying taxes just like you and me. Green card holders do not have a different tax rate. They can actually read your post and start themselves on a path to at least living a life with dignity. I almost rolled my eyes when she said if they were in Nepal her 18 year old son would not have to lift a finger to work. The average American would just look at her like she is crazy. It is not all about working hard though that is important. They need to work smart.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by edimop: 4:45am On Nov 14, 2013
Khalessi: Am sure thousands I've people will have a good testimony. undecided
I am a Lottery winner and I live here in new york.Don't knw wat u guys r talking abt,cos I hav testimonies and peep who's making t big here.Maybe t didn't work out for ds family,buh I tell u,these place is stil more organised dan d place I came frm.As the matter of facts,there no place ts bed of all roses,there must be a price to pay,buh u wil reap t.doesn't mata wat u r doin down here and nobody cares,wat matas is wat plan u hav for urself and dwn ur country u r measuring up,den u r good to go.seriously,I hav many testimonies.Buh,if u hav a good paid job down ur country of birth,I rather advice u stay back and continue wt dat,cos ts nt everybody might be lucky to end well in yankee.Am enjoying t well here.Tnx
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by drsmk: 7:39am On Nov 14, 2013
Some Americans are busy blaming the Obamacare as a fradulent scheme for especially Nigerians advantage.you might want to read this through to understand.
http://www.humanevents.com/2013/11/13/to-speak-to-a-nigerian-prince-about-your-health-care-press-1-now/
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 14, 2013
Speaking as someone who lived the majority of my adult life shuttling between the UK and North America, let me just say that it is not a coincidence that more and more of us are choosing to return home to Africa.
Those of us who are still stuck in the Hollywood "I must have my testimony" mindset are the ones who are still making plans to stay there or move there. Everyone else including the white people themselves are preparing for the coming crash of the American economy which is happening gradually and in stages (Rome did not decline in a day).
After years of interacting with my people, I know it is not realistic to expect all of us to possess the intellect, creativity and sheer force of will to resist the barrage of Western propaganda which makes us think that Africa is the worst place on earth and America is the place where you can make all your dreams come true. In fact, on this thread someone has been busy mentioning Google, Apple and so on as examples of this so-called "American dream" - businesses which are CIA fronts founded by stupendously wealthy people and which invest in the destruction and pillage of Africa, the Africa we come from.
It takes a measure of intelligence and iron will to look past the glitzy, glamorous cover story of a firm like Apple and look into the fact that the coltan and rare earth metals which are used in making the overpriced devices it sells are all mined exclusively in the Congo by African children who will never have any of their dreams fulfilled. The fact that the American government has private interests funding and arming the civil conflict in the Congo so that these resources can be obtained cheaply and exported to China and then sold on as iPads, iPhones and Macs - does that bother you?
Or is the only important thing the fact that there is now a $75bn company with a Hollywood cover story which you can point to and fantasize about being "the next one up"?
I think more of us should know that the entire "American Dream" is a facade and a lie established by stealing a continent and exterminating its people, importing slaves to develop the continent, and using laws and brute force to maintain the dominance of a White majority over minority populations as well as the rest of the world.
There is no "American Dream". Bill Gates, who is trotted out as the symbol of this dream - a college dropout turned billionaire - was actually the son of a multimillionaire who gave him $1 million cash to start up Microsoft after he dropped out.
If you are a free man born on another continent (and you are not White), any relative success you achieve in America has a ceiling and will be built on the exploitation of other people's countries. Bear that in mind - the money and success you may achieve in America if you are one of the lucky few (very few!) is the same as the proceeds of crime shared out to the employees of the Mafia.
I know to most Africans this does not mean anything, after all people who could participate in selling their brothers and sisters to be packed into ships with cockroaches climbing into the body holes do not care about right or wrong, just money. Most Africans will happily sell their entire family and kinsmen for $100,000 and as I said before, I am not here to convert anyone from this mindset. If you realise that America is a massive, superbly organised crime syndicate which is on its way down and you still feel that you belong there, then that is your choice and I have to respect it.
However, please do not come to public forums like this to propagandise impressionable minds into adopting a mindset and worldview that is false. Some of us do not wish to sell our birthright for porridge and the least you can do is respect that.
I am a Nigerian born in Nigeria, living in Nigeria who will raise a family, grow old, and die in Nigeria. I am not a third class human being living in uncertainty and dealing with inferiority all my life.
The same way a white person can call themselves simply "American", not "African-American" or "Indian-American" or "Chinese-American" (but you have to hyphenate except you want to deceive yourself), I am "Nigerian" with no further permutation.
You are welcome to laugh and mock the state of the country I identify with (as if you had anything to do with the success of America or America gives a flying fig about you), but be informed that within our lifetimes, you will understand why having a place that is truly your own is so important.
I promise no one will have to tell you then.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 14, 2013
daz_york: Speaking as someone who lived the majority of my adult life shuttling between the UK and North America, let me just say that it is not a coincidence that more and more of us are choosing to return home to Africa.
Those of us who are still stuck in the Hollywood "I must have my testimony" mindset are the ones who are still making plans to stay there or move there. Everyone else including the white people themselves are preparing for the coming crash of the American economy which is happening gradually and in stages (Rome did not decline in a day).
After years of interacting with my people, I know it is not realistic to expect all of us to possess the intellect, creativity and sheer force of will to resist the barrage of Western propaganda which makes us think that Africa is the worst place on earth and America is the place where you can make all your dreams come true. In fact, on this thread someone has been busy mentioning Google, Apple and so on as examples of this so-called "American dream" - businesses which are CIA fronts founded by stupendously wealthy people and which invest in the destruction and pillage of Africa, the Africa we come from.
It takes a measure of intelligence and iron will to look past the glitzy, glamorous cover story of a firm like Apple and look into the fact that the coltan and rare earth metals which are used in making the overpriced devices it sells are all mined exclusively in the Congo by African children who will never have any of their dreams fulfilled. The fact that the American government has private interests funding and arming the civil conflict in the Congo so that these resources can be obtained cheaply and exported to China and then sold on as iPads, iPhones and Macs - does that bother you?
Or is the only important thing the fact that there is now a $75bn company with a Hollywood cover story which you can point to and fantasize about being "the next one up"?
I think more of us should know that the entire "American Dream" is a facade and a lie established by stealing a continent and exterminating its people, importing slaves to develop the continent, and using laws and brute force to maintain the dominance of a White majority over minority populations as well as the rest of the world.
There is no "American Dream". Bill Gates, who is trotted out as the symbol of this dream - a college dropout turned billionaire - was actually the son of a multimillionaire who gave him $1 million cash to start up Microsoft after he dropped out.
If you are a free man born on another continent (and you are not White), any relative success you achieve in America has a ceiling and will be built on the exploitation of other people's countries. Bear that in mind - the money and success you may achieve in America if you are one of the lucky few (very few!) is the same as the proceeds of crime shared out to the employees of the Mafia.
I know to most Africans this does not mean anything, after all people who could participate in selling their brothers and sisters to be packed into ships with cockroaches climbing into the body holes do not care about right or wrong, just money. Most Africans will happily sell their entire family and kinsmen for $100,000 and as I said before, I am not here to convert anyone from this mindset. If you realise that America is a massive, superbly organised crime syndicate which is on its way down and you still feel that you belong there, then that is your choice and I have to respect it.
However, please do not come to public forums like this to propagandise impressionable minds into adopting a mindset and worldview that is false. Some of us do not wish to sell our birthright for porridge and the least you can do is respect that.
I am a Nigerian born in Nigeria, living in Nigeria who will raise a family, grow old, and die in Nigeria. I am not a third class human being living in uncertainty and dealing with inferiority all my life.
The same way a white person can call themselves simply "American", not "African-American" or "Indian-American" or "Chinese-American" (but you have to hyphenate except you want to deceive yourself), I am "Nigerian" with no further permutation.
You are welcome to laugh and mock the state of the country I identify with (as if you had anything to do with the success of America or America gives a flying fig about you), but be informed that within our lifetimes, you will understand why having a place that is truly your own is so important.
I promise no one will have to tell you then.
I agree with some of your points, but disagree on others... You have to understand that the bulk of the blame for Africa's underdevelopment lies with us... How? i tell you. admit it or not, the Nigerian mindset is channeled towards stiff competition over frivolous things as opposed to competition to add value. as an economist, i tell you that to create wealth, you must create value. Africa as a whole is not creating value, that's why many African countries remain poor. Africans need their mindsets to be changed before development can come. As for the hyphenated American stuff, you are WRONG! My cousin's wife is Danish American, and I've also encountered white Americans who call themselves Italian Americans. If you read Elizabeth Taylor's biography, you will see British American Actress.. so that notion i repeat is wrong. Innovation also can lead Africa out of the mess she has found herself in. The life goal of many Nigerians [from my own personal research] is to get certificate, marry and have children, if you doubt me, conduct your research. Most of us don't think of the positive impact we want to add to our society, just mundane things, how many indigenous companies dedicate a specific percentage of their profits every year to fund research in the universities? Almost none. While serious minded countries spend fortunes on research. there is a lot to say... but i would rest my piece here. You are not wrong, but you are not completely right either.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Godson201333(m): 8:29pm On Nov 16, 2013
dizzyk: The truth is this and very honest as someone that visits both EU and America, there are problems everywhere, the difference is that the problems vary, security is a problem in both world (Nigeria and west) only the dimension differs. What most people dont understand is that when you get there is when you get to see the true picture....Jobless people are in America too with College degrees. Was in NY a few days ago and it was in the news that someone went into a family home and hacked all to death, was in South Side of Chicago sometimes in August 2011 when a pregnant young lady was shot to death even after pleading, these are social problems that are in the US and Europe too as we have kidnap, corruption in Nigeria, but in my own very. In Jackson station where you change from blue line to red line in NY metro, there are always jobless Americans playing music in train station begging for money. In Times Square, an American has begged for $1 from me, these happens everywhere. My brother left 11 years ago saying all he needed was 2 years of work then he will come back to set up a Printing press, that was 2002....ask me, maybe he will set up the press in 2014. he just got caught in realising the american dream, he had to spend fortune to become citizen, now he is approaching 50..what can he do? only to "play along".
My candid advice, "Look before you leap". Nigeria may not be economically good, but it is better than getting stranded in Europe or America...ask Majek Fashek

My brother everything you wrote here has ready answer the question...You are right there are problem all over the world and I just think the important thing is focus...
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by edimop: 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
dizzyk: The truth is this and very honest as someone that visits both EU and America, there are problems everywhere, the difference is that the problems vary, security is a problem in both world (Nigeria and west) only the dimension differs. What most people dont understand is that when you get there is when you get to see the true picture....Jobless people are in America too with College degrees. Was in NY a few days ago and it was in the news that someone went into a family home and hacked all to death, was in South Side of Chicago sometimes in August 2011 when a pregnant young lady was shot to death even after pleading, these are social problems that are in the US and Europe too as we have kidnap, corruption in Nigeria, but in my own very. In Jackson station where you change from blue line to red line in NY metro, there are always jobless Americans playing music in train station begging for money. In Times Square, an American has begged for $1 from me, these happens everywhere. My brother left 11 years ago saying all he needed was 2 years of work then he will come back to set up a Printing press, that was 2002....ask me, maybe he will set up the press in 2014. he just got caught in realising the american dream, he had to spend fortune to become citizen, now he is approaching 50..what can he do? only to "play along".
Am sorry bros,as am talkin to u nw am in d US,new york to be precise,d only fin I wana add to ds is,if u hav ur papers,nofin like being stranded,am a greencard holder and am comfortable.ds advice of being stranded is for those who doesn't hav a base,wat do u xpect?dey wil only find t difficult to live cos there wil be no job,healthcare,driving and oda fins for dem.Buh if u hav ur paper,bros I bet u,u cn work anywhere as long as u gat d strenght to and u cn achiev watever u wnt to achieve dwn here in america,and am nt regretting being here.Ts a land of opportunity.tins works fine.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by omoyankee3(m): 4:26pm On Nov 19, 2013
For everystory like this, there are a thousand success stories. When i traveled to US to study, I had no relatives or friends and it turned out all right. If you won a visa lottery, that means you are authorized to work and you can get a job right away, at least an odd job till you get a feel for the system. Then you move on to a better job or start a biz. There are lots of opportunities if you are willing to put in the effort.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fatal Accident Between Truck And Keke Leaves Two Dead In Imo State. Photos / 3 Die As Car Plunges Into Omo River On Sagamu-benin Expressway / Nigerian Immigration To Introduce Various Visa Categories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.