Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,458 members, 7,954,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:36 AM

Timing Chain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Timing Chain (1106 Views)

Help!!! Honda Accord 2009 Timing Belt Always Cutting. Any Solution? / Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. / Timing Belt vs Timing Chain: Which is the best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Timing Chain by dubem3(m): 9:51am On Apr 02, 2013
...so am at the mechanic workshop this morning while he was trying to set the timing chain of this corolla. He seemed to be gazing into outter space cos try as i did, i could not find what he was looking at, what was guiding him or decipher what he was getting at. After trying to understand him to no avail i asked him when he was done. The guy just scoffed and told me that even his apprentice would wait years on end to learn what i was asking him. so i would either pay heavily or try not to ask.

i would love to know from anybody that can set a timing chain...what the heck happens there?
Re: Timing Chain by ayobase(m): 10:01am On Apr 02, 2013
The car is gonna end up as a specimen!

U better have a change of mind!
Re: Timing Chain by dubem3(m): 10:31am On Apr 02, 2013
ayobase: The car is gonna end up as a specimen!

U better have a change of mind!

am not sure u get the gist.
read again pls
Re: Timing Chain by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 02, 2013
dubem3: i would love to know from anybody that can set a timing chain...what the heck happens there?

Setting the timing on an engine means getting the relationship between the crankshaft and camshaft/s correct. This will only need setting if the chain or belt was removed, or if the cylinder head/s were removed and replaced.

It shouldn't require adjustment outside the above mentioned conditions. The relationship between crank and cam/s will only change if the tensioner fails, and the belt or chain skips teeth. And in such cases, there will be piston-to-valve contact, which will require pulling the heads anyway, unless it's a freewheeling engine (none-interference). This is where there piston crowns have adequate room to allow the valves to be in the open position, while the relevant pistons are at the top of their strokes.
Re: Timing Chain by ayobase(m): 12:22pm On Apr 02, 2013
dubem3:

am not sure u get the gist.
read again pls

U have just sent me to google....thanks!

Its indeed a tedious and expertise required task, but an expert shouldn't make it look like it!

Look at the way Siena made it look so simple....HE KNOWS!
Re: Timing Chain by sultaan(m): 1:28am On Apr 03, 2013
He should even be messing with that engine is the first place.

The chain will last a long time almost the life of the engine unless it meets a naija mechanic grin.

I think he was looking for the alignment notches on the sprocket and engine
Re: Timing Chain by dubem3(m): 6:16am On Apr 03, 2013
Siena:

i seem to get what you are driving and also to know that what i seek could best be shown than told.
he had to open up the engine and change the crankshaft. for some reason i dont know, the metals always ended up ground. what do u have to say bout that?
Re: Timing Chain by dubem3(m): 6:18am On Apr 03, 2013
sultaan: He should even be messing with that engine is the first place.

The chain will last a long time almost the life of the engine unless it meets a naija mechanic grin.

I think he was looking for the alignment notches on the sprocket and engine

There was need to remove the timing chain while opening up the engine
Re: Timing Chain by sultaan(m): 2:58am On Apr 04, 2013
dubem3:

There was need to remove the timing chain while opening up the engine

You don't need to remove chain when opening engine in fact you don't have to open such a young engine in the first place

(1) (Reply)

Help & Maintainance Tips On Nissan Serena / Pls Where Can I Find A Competent Mechanic In The Whole Of Lagos / How To Buy Extra Car Models Software For Foxwell NT510

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.