Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,932 members, 7,814,166 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters (2589 Views)

Nigeria: Mobile Number Portability Begins June 2012 – Ncc / My Nigeria Mobile is Legit / Challenges Of Nigeria Mobile Banking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by okoegwale: 2:42pm On Apr 02, 2008
Mobile marketing is used to describe marketing via the mobile devices and phones.In Nigeria, traditional methods of marketing is still the way to go because it has been tested and trusted over the years even with its declining Return on investment.Nigeria media marketing is worth over 4 Billion Dollars according to the Nigerian Marketing Association, Apcon.
Television, outdoor media and Radio accounts for the bulk of media channels in nigeria while internet is less than 0.05( There are only 6 internet connections per 1000) and mobile is just evolving.The focus is on the traditional media but the future and the reality is pointing towards Mobile.

There are 23 million Televisons sets in Nigeria, 7 Million Radio sets, one fully national Television station,60 regional and semi regional Tevevision stations, one national radio station but 42 million mobile users in a population of 140 million.Figures dont lie.
While Traditional media is largely untargetted, Mobile marketing can be tailored to targetted audiences,measure and track result,reduce cost and capitalize on emerging technologies.

The percularities of the Nigerian lanscape should have long prompted Brand managers to start asking their agencies questions about Mobile marketing, in face of the gradual decline in all other media channels.Television viewship is declining at a fast rate for the following reasons,influx of cheap Chinese pirated movies,electricity failures,absence of prime time Tv shows and absence of national Television stations.Radio has its own challenges too and outdoor is location specific.Mobile is the only meduim with anywhere and anytime advantage with possiblities to accomodate all array of features like video,mms, pictures, sms, internet and others.Mobile is more powerful personal meduim than any other.And it is time, that Nigerian Brands exploit the oppourtunity.

While Nigerian Brands want to be seen in the leagues of world class Brands but they should also understand that No world class brand evolved through a single advertising media but rather through a range or media.Survey of world class leading brands found that best performers were those that integrated their marketing across range of media and often blurring the lines between advertisement and entertainment,which consumers tend to enjoy.

The challenge of Mobile marketing buying process is still unclear in Nigeria.Brand owners who desire to infuse mobile marketing into their marketing mix do not clearly understand how to go about it.Do they approach the mobile network operators,value added service provider or a marketing agency? Few mobile marketing mobile marketing campaigns that had been deployed in Nigeria are mainly by the value added services providers which lacks the touch of Brand managers because they dont have brand managers in house.Nigerian Marketing agencies do not have mobile agency departments or even desk.

Mobile marketing should not be limited to the normal text-to-win promotions in Nigeria.It is a two way communicator which will bring the much needed interactivity because consumers want to have closer relationships with fewer brands. And the mobile provides such channel.

Emmanuel@gomobileng.com
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by oldie(m): 3:28pm On Apr 02, 2008
Mobile phone marketing will work if the marketers/advertisers are innovative and pro-active
Messages must be engaging, funny and entertaning. Not this "down-your throat"tactics being used now.
I detest it, when I receive some dry unsolicited commercials and adverts on my phone

I am sure most users will complain too.
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by darznets(m): 4:24pm On Apr 02, 2008
This area of business is what I have reaserched into extensively and had built a business plan along that line. I actually did a market intelligence study on the viablility of mobile marketing in Nigeria and i discovered that the cost to both the brands and the service provider is simplt outrageous.
Though the viability and potential market is enormous, the timeliness of the take off of such is what is the issue.
I look forward to divergent view on this,
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by okoegwale: 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2008
Your observations are quite correct.oppourtunities abound but the stakeholders are not putting forward strong compelling contents with high entertainment value.In mobile marketing,ads and entertainment run,hand in hand but in Nigeria what they call Mobile marketing is actually text-to-win or some funny sms broadcast.

They are not exploring wap sites,mobile videos and many others.We need to effect that change or else Nigerians will actually get used to it as it is.
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by darznets(m): 1:17pm On Apr 03, 2008
@okoegwale
I am of the view that the palyers in the mobile content industry in Nigeria like Mtech and so on should spearhead the revolution, all that is required is to bring in people like you nd i with relevant knowledge along side the advertising agency to develop a vibrant mobile marketing platform. But I guess they are more interested in the money they are making from sms shortcodes.
I actually visited Mtech office sometime ago on the possibility of working out a plan on this but i never got a feedback.
I am highly convinced that the future is mobile marketing and am pressing forward discussing with agencies and mobile operator in this regard.
I really hope things would work out fast enough
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by okoegwale: 3:08pm On Apr 03, 2008
You have good undertsanding and grasp.Lets meet sometime and see the oppourtunities.Mobile marketing is not about text-to-win and sms shorts.Its actually like a Bill board of its own with very good entertainments.

Take a look at www.mobilemarketingafrica.com to see what we are trying to do by bring together all the stakeholders later this month in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by darznets(m): 10:55am On Apr 04, 2008
@okoegwale
Thanks for your appreciation. I will really love to be part of this revolution in the Nigerian market place and i have gone through the site you mentioned. Unfortunately, the participation fee you have there is very very high for someone like me to pay for participation.
I dont know what you can do about this?
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by okoegwale: 12:51pm On Apr 04, 2008
We just hosted Europe's largest Mobile marketing firm in Lagos,yestarnight.They are looking at oppourtunities.

Very soon,you will start seeing full MOBILE MARKETING AGENCIES in Lagos.I promise.

Send me a personal mail.Then we can talk.
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by darznets(m): 9:58am On Apr 07, 2008
Hello Emma,
I have just sent you a mail as requested. The email address is dazol2@yahoo.com
Waiting to hear from you
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by butchman: 8:09pm On Apr 25, 2008
I need more info on this i;m planning to invest in this sector i will like to know how much is needed to start the business and the licence required for operation. i heard a mobile marketing conference is coming up in sheraton hotel on the 1st of may about 150 dollars i planning to attend. so i need as much info as possible.
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by okoegwale: 9:00pm On Apr 25, 2008
Hi Butchman,
I can offer you excellent consultancy in that regards.With all sense of modesty,I have been consulting for one of Europe's Largest mobile ad agency and locally in Nigeria,too. Do a google check on my full names to read about some of my activities.

Lets meet and talk further.

Regards,

Emmanuel Okoegwale
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by butchman: 5:48pm On Apr 29, 2008
pls Emma how do we meet but wats the minimum cash required to start a small scale mobile cos i'm trying to raise the cash i need the info as soon as possible. thanks and Godblesss
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by butchman: 5:57pm On Apr 29, 2008
please Emma are you a part of the conference in sheraton hotel on 1st may.
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by phishaman(m): 7:07pm On Apr 29, 2008
Just saw this thread and i'm really excited to see that people are thinking in the same direction.

Mobile Marketing / Advertising has the potential of achieving much more than TV , Radio and Billboards have in the last few years. It also has the potential of being the most cost effective tool for companies wanting to advertise as well as yeilding great returns for advertisers.

However judging from the research i have made of markets around the world who have implemented this, there is a danger of mobile marketing /advertising going down the road of its predecessors. I'll explain why. Adverts on these platforms have not been successfully converted into sale. These platforms have only been good enough for brand management and not marketing or sale in the real sense. Consumers now want to be educated not just informed. I hope you get my argument.

But i think Mobile marketing has the potential of fusing brand management and consumer education if done properly. Then we will see a true revolution, where adverts create real returns.

We cant keep waiting for "someone" to do this.
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by okoegwale: 8:01pm On Apr 29, 2008
Yes,I am part of the event for May 21st and not May 1st. Early Bird registration ends in two days time.

Pls feel free to contact me and we can talk further.

Regards,

Emmanuel
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by neumobile: 6:13pm On Apr 23, 2009
helo,

i gotten a lead in respect of this mobile marketing stuff.i'll love to partner with like minded people on the platform.

interested person should get intouch on neulagos@yahoo.com

my numbers are 08028280588,08036602977
Re: Nigeria Mobile Marketing:the Uncharted Waters by Obanimoh(m): 4:52pm On Sep 01, 2011
Looking for how to revolutionize your business and increase profits with mobile marketing? Download a free guide here: http://www.mobileexploit.com.

(1) (Reply)

Help! How Do I Make My Nokia 3110c Media Player Functional / Latest Tecno Boom J7 Smartphone That Will WOW You!!! / Imose Ankara S1 Dual SIM 5 Inch Android Phone - Specs & Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.