Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,102 members, 7,842,174 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Why Him? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Him? (653 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Him? by ATMC(f): 8:38am On Apr 03, 2013
As jesus conversated with his disciples on who men say he is, their answers were revealing...some said elijah, some said jeremiah or some prophet...this made me think they knew it was probable dt these people could come back BUT i don't understand why some said john d baptist *scoffs* for goodness sake, john existed alongside jesus so why would they say jesus is him. Why him of all people?
Re: Why Him? by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 03, 2013
John was doing all the work and Baptizing. Don't forget that it was john who baptized Jesus. And again, it is very poSsible that the "crowd" in that passage had only been hearing of "John", but had never seen him, and since Jesus was doing the same thing John did(asking people to repent, that the kingdom was at hand), it's safe to say that they thought Jesus was John. . .

Jesus and John were Cousins, and their age difference was very small. They could also have looked alike somehow.

2 Likes

Re: Why Him? by ITbomb(m): 8:50am On Apr 03, 2013
John the Baptist was dead already when this question was asked, so many thought he had come back to carry on his mission.
And don't forget reincarnation was part of some Jewish sect belief not today that it has been branded 'controversial'.
Re: Why Him? by CrazyMan(m): 9:00am On Apr 03, 2013
ATMC: As jesus conversated with his disciples on who men say he is, their answers were revealing...some said elijah, some said jeremiah or some prophet...this made me think they knew it was probable dt these people could come back BUT i don't understand why some said john d baptist *scoffs* for goodness sake, john existed alongside jesus so why would they say jesus is him. Why him of all people?
John the baptist was Jesus fore runner...if you read the scriptures, you'll agree with me that Jesus began his ministry after his (John the baptist) death.

So most people even herod (who beheaded him) saw Jesus as his (John's) reincarnation.
Re: Why Him? by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 03, 2013
CrazyMan:
John the baptist was Jesus fore runner...if you read the scriptures, you'll agree with me that Jesus began his ministry after his (John the baptist) death.

So most people even herod (who beheaded him) saw Jesus as his (John's) reincarnation.
Do you understand the meaning of 'reincarnation'?

1 Like

Re: Why Him? by CrazyMan(m): 9:48am On Apr 03, 2013
musKeeto:
Do you understand the meaning of 'reincarnation'?
What kind of meaning do you seek?

The general belief was that his (John) soul, upon death of the body, came back to earth in another body...Jesus.

Mark 6:14-16. 14 And king Herod heard of him; (for his name was spread abroad) and he said, That John the Baptist was risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.

15 Others said, That it is Elias. And others said, That it is a prophet, or as one of the prophets.

16 But when Herod heard thereof, he said, It is John, whom I beheaded: he is risen from the dead.

What other term do you expect me to use if not reincarnation.
Re: Why Him? by ATMC(f): 8:30pm On Apr 03, 2013
CrazyMan:
What kind of meaning do you seek?

The general belief was that his (John) soul, upon death of the body, came back to earth in another body...Jesus.

Mark 6:14-16. 14 And king Herod heard of him; (for his name was spread abroad) and he said, That John the Baptist was risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.

15 Others said, That it is Elias. And others said, That it is a prophet, or as one of the prophets.

16 But when Herod heard thereof, he said, It is John, whom I beheaded: he is risen from the dead.

What other term do you expect me to use if not reincarnation.
find another term abeg, for d soul of john couldn't have returned go jesus' body cos they almost were agemates
Re: Why Him? by PastorOluT(m): 9:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
ATMC: As jesus conversated with his disciples on who men say he is, their answers were revealing...some said elijah, some said jeremiah or some prophet...this made me think they knew it was probable dt these people could come back BUT i don't understand why some said john d baptist *scoffs* for goodness sake, john existed alongside jesus so why would they say jesus is him. Why him of all people?

Just to add to what sexkills, crazyman and co have said, i also think many do not know John the baptist was the Elijah that was to come, so they were still expecting him knowing that the scriptures says he will come.
Re: Why Him? by Pygru: 12:25am On Apr 04, 2013
sexkillz: John was doing all the work and Baptizing. Don't forget that it was john who baptized Jesus. And again, it is very poSsible that the "crowd" in that passage had only been hearing of "John", but had never seen him, and since Jesus was doing the same thing John did(asking people to repent, that the kingdom was at hand), it's safe to say that they thought Jesus was John. . .

Jesus and John were Cousins, and their age difference was very small. They could also have looked alike somehow.

So you sabi Bible like this shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Him? by IZUKWU(m): 10:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
Pygru:
So you sabi Bible like this shocked
me too,i suprise oh!

(1) (Reply)

Evangelism 3 - Power to Witness / First Time Taken To Heaven - Pastor Sori Park / Man Kills 85-year-old Observing Ramadan Night Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.