Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,572 members, 7,816,406 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian (2421 Views)

The Marks Of The Lord Jesus / Marks Of A Good Pastor.. / Could This Be The Beginning Of The Marks Of The Beast{666}? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 2:36pm On Apr 03, 2013
Modesty - Marks Of A True Christian

Paul wrote the Philippians, "Let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ" (Phil. 1:27). The most impressive part of our Christian profession is the way we live the gospel in our daily lives. The world is neither blind nor stupid. A few hours of observation will reveal whether we are truly Christ-like or just pretenders. One virtue that God expects of us, and the world quickly discerns, is modesty. Paul wrote that Christian women should "adorn themselves in modest apparel..." (I Tim. 2:9). Webster defines modest as follows, "placing a moderate estimate on one's abilities or worth, observing the proprieties of dress and worth, unpretentious." Modesty is defined as, "freedom from conceit or vanity, propriety in dress, speech or conduct." Thus we see that modesty is expressed in many areas of life.

1.Christians should be modest in the apparel they wear in public. Modest apparel is not sexually suggestive or provocative, nor is it extravagant. Clothes were given to cover our unclothedness (Ex. 28:42), not to invite lustful eyes to indulge themselves. Sinners of the world have no sense of shame when they expose themselves before others. Let that not be true of God's people. Paul's exhortation to modesty in I Tim 2 includes avoiding excessively lavish adornment, which is not becoming to those professing godliness (vs.10).

2.We must be modest in speech. This means not given to exaggeration, boisterousness and free from filthy talk and swearing. (Eph. 4:29; 5:4).

3.We must be modest in the used of our wealth. We are not to lay up our treasure on this earth but in heaven (Matt. 6:19-20). We must not use our possessions to make some vain social statement or to intimidate and shame those not so fortunate. God gives us wealth not only for our selves but so that we can help those in need (Eph. 4:28) and support the good works of His kingdom (I Tim 6:17-18).

4.We must be modest in our general conduct. Paul says, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God" (I Cor. 10:31). A Christian's conduct should always be within the bounds of propriety, not outlandish and shameless. Paul describes our life style as one of tranquility, quietness and gravity (I Tim. 2:2). We can enjoy things that are recreational, pleasant and joyful...but not outrageous. A good definition of the modest lifestyle of the Christian is seen in Phil. 4:8, ‘Whatsoever things are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely of good report...if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.

5.Especially should we Christians be modest in our behavior with those of the opposite sex. Our society is obsessed and awash in things that promote illicit sexual activity. Television, movies, magazines, advertising, music, entertainment all flourish by exploiting and promoting conduct, which is immodest and immoral. Of course Satan is the instigator behind all of this erosion of moral and social values. We Christians are not immune to this solicitation to sin. We must therefore ever be on guard lest we fall victim to his foil (Matt. 5:27-28).

The meaning of "modesty" for the Christian is summed up in the words of our hymn: "Let the Beauty of Jesus Be Seen in Me."

When your neighbor sees you, can he or she see that holy beauty?

Saw this @ www.firstcenturychristian.com

you might want to check it out

God bless you plenty

4 Likes

Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by PastorOluT(m): 12:21am On Apr 04, 2013
[quote author=Candour]Modesty - Marks Of A True Christian

You spoken well bro, God bless you real good.

stay blessed and remain rapturable
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 6:52am On Apr 04, 2013
Pastor Olu T:You spoken well bro, God bless you real good.

stay blessed and remain rapturable

Thanks a lot brother.I believe our lifestyle and comportment can actually draw more people to the gospel of Christ than any powerful sermon we can hope to deliver.

Christ said ''let your light so shine before men......'' Matt 5:16

Apostle Paul said ''That ye may be blameless and harmless,the sons of God,without rebuke,in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation,.......'' Phil 2:15

Apostle Peter also said ''having your conversation(manner of living) honest among the gentiles.......'' 1 Peter 2:12

I pray everyday that we imbibe these lessons as there's no other way to glorify our Lord

1 Like

Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Alwaystrue(f): 10:05am On Apr 04, 2013
This is a great message and it has edified me more.
Thanks OP.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 10:19am On Apr 04, 2013
Alwaystrue: This is a great message and it has edified me more.
Thanks OP.

you're welcome dear sister.God bless you real good
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Image123(m): 5:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
I need STRONGS please, let's put that word in its context.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by JeSoul(f): 8:46pm On Apr 04, 2013
Fantastic article.

Modesty is not simply about appearance/clothes but also modest in speech, in use/display of wealth, in behavior/relationships with others. Modesty encompasses every aspect of our christian lives. May God in His mercy teach us to become more and more like Christ. Amen!

Candour more articles like these please, sir smiley

2 Likes

Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 04, 2013
Thanks, bro. Grace be with you.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 04, 2013
Image123: I need STRONGS please, let's put that word in its context.

Lol
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Alwaystrue(f): 11:12pm On Apr 04, 2013

@Image, though this may seem like a joke and funny, we do not need this. Let us all respect each other. Thanks.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 04, 2013

You need to grow up and start acting like a Christian, since when did mockery , scoffing, slandering etc qualify as Christian virtues. smiley
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Nobody: 11:45pm On Apr 04, 2013
@Alwaystrue

I guess, in the light of the intensity of the debates y'all have been having, it wasn't right for Image123 to make that joke or for me to laugh at it.

But you see, you guys are costing me some nice fun with your battles. Why in the world do you have to fight over things like tithing?

Anyway, I do get it. But I still hate the fact that one can't help but feel that there are camps and one has to be in one and not others.

One thing alone matters and it is the Cross of Christ. Are we sharing in that, in His Death and Resurrection? If we are, in due time, as we follow faithfully, we will be taught clearly all that we need to know.

Now, I'm sure that the fights won't vanish as soon as I post this, but it would be nice if elsewhere I can see a joke poking interesting fun at a brother and laugh at it without fear of causing offence.

By the way, @Alwaystrue, I read up some of your posts on the tithing issue and they made a great deal of sense to me. I wonder though if you know that what some of our brethren are really fighting, mostly unwittingly, is the abuse of offerings of every sort. Paul warned Timothy that the bishop must not be a lover of filthy lucre. How many of those who have the rule over us are bothering to stay above filthy lucre?

There is such a thing as feeding fat upon the sheep. And it should worry every Christian as they come of age. Jesus called His pastors or shepherds to feed and tend His flock not slaughter and feast upon them. So as we come of age, we ought to denounce every effort to destroy our brethren.

But as you have said and in agreement with Scriptures, those who labor spiritually for the others are entitled to material benefits from them and I agree that the tithe is one of those benefits. However, a wise pastor living in our days will see to it that none of the sheep in his care is left in poverty while he revels in rich things. Paul and Barnabas were told to remember the poor when they were sent forth and they did.

@op, abeg forgive me o for derailing your thread. I just had to say what I said. smiley
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Alwaystrue(f): 6:58am On Apr 05, 2013
Ihedinobi: @Alwaystrue

I guess, in the light of the intensity of the debates y'all have been having, it wasn't right for Image123 to make that joke or for me to laugh at it.

But you see, you guys are costing me some nice fun with your battles. Why in the world do you have to fight over things like tithing?

Anyway, I do get it. But I still hate the fact that one can't help but feel that there are camps and one has to be in one and not others.

One thing alone matters and it is the Cross of Christ. Are we sharing in that, in His Death and Resurrection? If we are, in due time, as we follow faithfully, we will be taught clearly all that we need to know.

Now, I'm sure that the fights won't vanish as soon as I post this, but it would be nice if elsewhere I can see a joke poking interesting fun at a brother and laugh at it without fear of causing offence.
@Ihedinobi,
I was just trying to tell Image123 though I know he is just trying to poke fun that we need make jest of things like this. Possibly if Image123 said this on the thread it occured, or the poster who said it said so here again I might not have cautioned him, but the truth is we need not do this, it is just my opinion.
I also hope people will uphold the truth for what it is and not because they belong to A CAMP so anything the CAMP members say is law and right and they even try to change their right orientations to favour that CAMP.

Ihedinobi:
By the way, @Alwaystrue, I read up some of your posts on the tithing issue and they made a great deal of sense to me. I wonder though if you know that what some of our brethren are really fighting, mostly unwittingly, is the abuse of offerings of every sort. Paul warned Timothy that the bishop must not be a lover of filthy lucre. How many of those who have the rule over us are bothering to stay above filthy lucre?
Actually i think it is more than that, they do not see the need for those in ministry to be paid, infact many tell them to go and work-this is exactly what Paul faced when he had to write I Cor.9. This is not just about that thread, it is all over this section.
I said Jesus came to give the truth of the law, the intent and the perfect way the law given years ago was meant to be done that is why He had to come in likeness of the flesh as it was obvious flesh could not understand the law, it was veiled and those who believe in Jesus have that veil removed. Just study II Corinthians 3:14. When the bible says we are not subject to the law, it was because they in Christ and WALK IN THE SPIRIT of Christ have already fulfilled that law in Jesus. The law is truth and Jesus is truth. See. If you notice, the bible always showed the works of the flesh as against the works of the spirit. The law of sin and death is still in effect till today to those WHO WALK AFTER THE FLESH.

Why do I say all this? Because the belief that anything OT/law is now sin is unbiblical. The law is not sin, the law only gave occasion to sin. And that is why they claim tithe (and even offering) is of the OT even when Jesus said mercy, faith, justice is to be done without negelecting tithe because Christ Himself understood 'it was for those who serve/minister so they could be encouraged in the law of the Lord', because 'a labourer is worthy of his wages/hire', because as Paul said 'Do not muzzle the ox that threads the grain'; 'an elder who rules well especially in preaching and teaching are worthy of double honour'.
Now there is abuse. Infact anything good is always abused. If they had focused more on the abuse rather than the good thing, then we will know they have a message. But do you know what they do? They come against the good to stop the ab-use. And quote anything to show the USE is wrong because of the ABUSE. If they give warning like Paul did, ofcourse they have a message.

Ihedinobi:
There is such a thing as feeding fat upon the sheep. And it should worry every Christian as they come of age. Jesus called His pastors or shepherds to feed and tend His flock not slaughter and feast upon them. So as we come of age, we ought to denounce every effort to destroy our brethren.
Yes, if that is what is done then that is fine. And even divine wisdom is needed to do that, which many do not display and this may lead to rebellion to anything church at all.

Ihedinobi:
But as you have said and in agreement with Scriptures, those who labor spiritually for the others are entitled to material benefits from them and I agree that the tithe is one of those benefits. However, a wise pastor living in our days will see to it that none of the sheep in his care is left in poverty while he revels in rich things. Paul and Barnabas were told to remember the poor when they were sent forth and they did.
Yes those who labour spiritually are worthy of their wages, which tithe helps do. Now what you said on the wise pastor is the advice i expected to see. And it goes beyond pastors, everyone is to see to that. Helping the poor is the work of everyone as scripture said both in the OT and NT that 'the poor we will always have with us'. As you said, if Paul and Barnabas were told to remeber the poor when they went to preach, it did not mean that they should not receive wages. It was thier entitlement just as we are all entitled to wages/profit from our businesses/work.
The clamour should be for ensuring we should all be worthy stewards of our finances and ensure we love our neighbours (rich, poor, sinners, those in ministry, family etc) and help where needed.

Ihedinobi:
@op, abeg forgive me o for derailing your thread. I just had to say what I said. smiley
Indeed @OP forgive us and I have basically summarised all (even though i did not know I would post this much) I have been saying hence we quietly leave your thread now but as Jesoul said, we need such messages. I was more blessed by modesty in speech and how you went about expressing it. Powerful!
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 7:16am On Apr 05, 2013

@Image123

I'm not really a fan of STRONG's.you and i have had discussions in time past:go through them again,i never reference STRONG.Not because i hate it or believe it's unhelpful but any good bible translation will not take away from the universal truth of the bible if only we stop cherry picking verses.

I like the idea of the simplicity of the early Christians.they didn't need all the fanciful equipments,speech or extravagant attitude we display today in the name of worshiping God.They worshiped him in spirit and in truth.we need to go back to the cradle if we want to have the profound effect they did.

I believe you were only trying to poke fun @ me.For you to know i'm not pissed,i'll laugh @ it grin grin

Also i'm not a partisan person at least not on this forum.I only found brethren with whom i share plenty similar ideas about the bible and have even had to disagree with on some issues.

I always say we can disagree without being disagreeable.I'm sure if Christ or Paul were here,they would advice the same.

@Jesoul, No problem my sister.we have to disinfect this site of hate,abuse and acrimony among believers.i'll continue as u requested.God bless you

@Frosbel,my brother,don't worry.i believe Image123 was trying to catch fun.i wont begrudge him the right.God bless you

@Ihedinobi, you're welcome bro.God bless you

@Alwaystrue,you're a wonderful sister.God bless you

@image123, oya contribute to the topic
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 7:17am On Apr 05, 2013
Ihedinobi: @Alwaystrue

I love this piece my brother.may God increase your wisdom.you're not derailing the thread at all
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 7:19am On Apr 05, 2013
@Alwaystrue

my sister is derailing the thread o cry cry cry cry
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Nobody: 7:25am On Apr 05, 2013
@Alwaystrue

Thank you joo. I was sure we would agree. Grace be multiplied to you. smiley

@Candour

Bros, it is the Lord's mercies overflowing. It is marvellous in our sight. smiley
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Alwaystrue(f): 8:15am On Apr 05, 2013
Haba @Candour I don apologise na. Oya sorry no vex o. wink

Taou, @Ihenodobi you don hear the OP. Amen, may we receive and enjoy the grace.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 8:24am On Apr 05, 2013
Alwaystrue: Haba @Candour I don apologise na. Oya sorry no vex o. wink

Taou, @Ihenodobi you don hear the OP. Amen, may we receive and enjoy the grace.

don't mind me jare.i'm guilty of hasty conclusions.I didn't see your quote @ the end of your post until after i clicked submit.

God will surely answer your innermost prayers and desires in Jesus name.Amen
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by JeSoul(f): 3:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
Candour: I like the idea of the simplicity of the early Christians.they didn't need all the fanciful equipments,speech or extravagant attitude we display today in the name of worshiping God.They worshiped him in spirit and in truth.we need to go back to the cradle if we want to have the profound effect they did.
Infact ehn, may God bless you for this. I had mentioned recently on another thread that I am a simple person and I practice a simple gospel. All this pomp & circumstance, greek & lexicons etc etc... people have served God without the aid of 'scriptures' and were declared justified in God's sight. We today just like complicating things. Not that studying & delving deep into scripture is wrong (infact it is necessary) but we should not elevate it to a pedestal that it doesn't belong, forgetting & casting aside the basic principles upon which our faith is founded in favor of what will turn out to be 'theological fluff' in the big picture. What is the thread title again? Modesty! in everything! amen smiley

Godbless my brothers Candour, Image, Ihedinobi, OluT, Frosbel...may you all look in the mirror & not forget what you see.

and Godbless my sister AlwaysTrue! may she always be true to the powerful calling of Christ on her life. Amen
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Alwaystrue(f): 3:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
See prayers for me alone. @Jesoul and Candour Amen. God bless you too and keep you and everyone as you study more, all scripture given to us for maturity in Christ Jesus with the help of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 7:53am On Apr 06, 2013
JeSoul: ... people have served God without the aid of 'scriptures' and were declared justified in God's sight. We today just like complicating things...... What is the thread title again? Modesty! in everything! amen smiley........may you all look in the mirror & not forget what you see. Amen

If only we Christians will take hold of the substance and leave the celebration of the shadows.more power and grace to you sister Jesoul
in Jesus name
@Alwaystrue.prayers no dey too much jare my sister.God bless you again
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Image123(m): 9:46pm On Apr 06, 2013
Candour:

@Image123

I'm not really a fan of STRONG's.you and i have had discussions in time past:go through them again,i never reference STRONG.Not because i hate it or believe it's unhelpful but any good bible translation will not take away from the universal truth of the bible if only we stop cherry picking verses.

I like the idea of the simplicity of the early Christians.they didn't need all the fanciful equipments,speech or extravagant attitude we display today in the name of worshiping God.They worshiped him in spirit and in truth.we need to go back to the cradle if we want to have the profound effect they did.

I believe you were only trying to poke fun @ me.For you to know i'm not pissed,i'll laugh @ it grin grin

Also i'm not a partisan person at least not on this forum.I only found brethren with whom i share plenty similar ideas about the bible and have even had to disagree with on some issues.

I always say we can disagree without being disagreeable.I'm sure if Christ or Paul were here,they would advice the same.

oya contribute to the topic
Already did the bolded oh, though it was taken in the wrong light for its purpose. frosb was even quick(as is his custom) to make accusations. Apologies to those irritated. If you want 'preaching', well let me say one line.
Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Moderation should not be mistaken for austerity, there is a thin line.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 06, 2013
Image123:
Already did the bolded oh, though it was taken in the wrong light for its purpose. frosb was even quick(as is his custom) to make accusations. Apologies to those irritated. If you want 'preaching', well let me say one line.

ehemmm grin

What can I do without you , lol.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Alwaystrue(f): 10:09pm On Apr 06, 2013
@Image,
And where did you enter all this while? Don't you know you should even be modest in disappearance? grin

Now there was an article I wanted us to discuss. I posted it on the thread below, in continuation of the Spirit of the Law:

https://www.nairaland.com/1248423/shocking-revelation-sunday-worshrp

How can we discuss this as I am not really a fan of opening new threads on issues? Can we just look for an old thread that is not active again and revive it to discuss it?

@Candour, thanks for the 'too much' prayers. When is the next message coming now.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 10:28pm On Apr 06, 2013
Image123:

like you said,there is actually a thin line between moderation and austerity which means you can easily mistake one for the other.i think that that relationship is conveyed in

Titus 2:2
''That the aged men be sober,grave,temperate,sound in faith,in charity,in patience''

the bolded are almost conveying an austere lifestyle but i guess we have to find balance through the spirit of contentment and being able to differentiate between needs and wants.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 10:31pm On Apr 06, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Image,
And where did you enter all this while? Don't you know you should even be modest in disappearance? grin

Now there was an article I wanted us to discuss. I posted it on the thread below, in continuation of the Spirit of the Law:

https://www.nairaland.com/1248423/shocking-revelation-sunday-worshrp

How can we discuss this as I am not really a fan of opening new threads on issues? Can we just look for an old thread that is not active again and revive it to discuss it?

@Candour, thanks for the 'too much' prayers. When is the next message coming now.

@the bolded
dont worry sister,you'll see it soonest grin
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by ichuka(m): 12:44am On Apr 07, 2013
John 20:20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."
When we embrace His finished works on Calvary totally,Modesty becomes our daliy endeavours.
great write-up bro.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 11:19pm On Apr 07, 2013
i.chuka:
John 20:20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."
When we embrace His finished works on Calvary totally,Modesty becomes our daliy endeavours.
great write-up bro.

God bless you for your contribution my brother
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Image123(m): 12:32am On Apr 14, 2013
Jesus Christ aptly describes the road of life as narrow, i may add that it is very narrow. How easy it is to fail than to pass, how easy it is for weeds to grow on our land than good fruits/crops, how easy it is for love to turn to lust. In the same level, it is easy for modesty to become immodest and for moderation to be made immoderate. Modesty is hinged on self control they say, but self control/modesty can an habit or a tradition, and tradition can become a religion. Beware of the thin line, and let your paths be straight, lest you fall.
Heb 12:13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Candour(m): 2:17pm On Aug 09, 2014
In speech, in comportment, in lifestyle let others see Jesus in you.

God bless us all
Re: MODESTY - Marks Of A True Christian by Lovenorth: 8:19pm On Dec 25, 2023
Christians are really trying grin

(1) (Reply)

Joseph Zacchello: The Priest Who Found Christ / Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism / Pastor's Wife In Hijab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.