Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,481 members, 7,826,823 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions (918 Views)

How To Opt Out Of MTN Subscriptions That Are Stealing Your Credit Yourself / MTN Fraudulent BBC Data Cap / Mtn, Fraudulent Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by israelbenzion: 3:51pm On Apr 03, 2013
I noticed that MTN was sending me texts from a shortcode number claiming to deliver tips on marriage. they said it was a test trial for 5 days and I shd text MARRIAGE to that number to subscribe. of course i have never ever bothered with such. i was however surprised when MTN sent me a text 2 days ago stating that N50 had been deducted from my account for subscribing to that service. I was surprised because even in my wildest dreams, i would never have subscribed cos i am not interested. i called dem to complain because they wud be deducting N50 every 7 days from my account. i did d math and came up with N2600 for a yr for a service i never consented to.
while on that, theyhave sent me another text again from 33118 asking me to subscribe for int'l news. i called them again cos i know that the next tin wud be to deduct money frm my account even when i dont need the services. i am seriously considering petitioning NCC on this. calcultate N2600 per annur per person multiplied by their about 70 million subscribers. see as they fraudulently use us to bolster their profit annually?
has anyone experienced the same tin?
Re: Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by dominique(f): 4:27pm On Apr 03, 2013
You didn't subscribe to the service and they're charging you? That's all manners of wrong. Worst thing is that they don't tell you how to unsubscribe, they'll keep deducting the balance. Hope NCC looks into this.
Re: Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by Bolaji21(m): 6:12pm On Apr 03, 2013
Let me tell u d solution dat works. Call d CC, once they pick, complain. If they wanna be givin excuses, go gaga. If u feel d agent understands yoruba, start rainin curses on d agent. He/she will be forced to get u a solution. It works like magic.

1 Like

Re: Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by Smuthx(m): 6:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
A short term help can be use up all your credit in that sim. If the number is not your 1st line or you dont frequently use it to make calls. Stop loading recharge on it. MTN cant take money from the account if the account is 0.07 for instance.

With that at hand, you can now call their cc or go to their nearest office for them to solve the problem

1 Like

Re: Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by Damon03(m): 7:54pm On Apr 03, 2013
someone lied or someone is suffering from selective amnesia
Re: Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by dowjones(m): 8:51am On Apr 04, 2013
Airtel does it too... They remove money from my phone saying i subscribed for some random tips. i've not even bothered myself cos i'm getting used to being scammed by these foools
Re: Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by israelbenzion: 11:55am On Apr 04, 2013
in the text messages, they'll say text 'STOP' to the shortcode. even when I do, the msgs do not deliver, meaning i am stuck there. my mind tells me dis scam is one way these TELCOs make a substantial part of their profit too. na the cunning na him dey pain me pass.
Re: Mtn's Fraudulent And Forced Short Code Subscriptions by chineduace(m): 4:38pm On Apr 04, 2013
Let me clear some issues. Some of these daily stuff are not from network providers (i repeat, some not all) the trick is, the short code people send you a message and tell you to unsubscribe if you dont want to continue (meanwhile you didn't subscribe for anyting in the first place ). On doing that, your money is going and they are introducing you to thier colleagues in the biz that you are game. Thats why i dont ever reply any message or caller tone stuff. My advice is ignore any off these things, with time you'll get less of them and it would stop. Just like spam/junk mails. Dont even read... Just hit the delete button.

(1) (Reply)

Mtn New Way Of Fraud / The New W8 Thl Phone / Nokia Lumia 710

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.