Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,690 members, 7,809,606 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. (5101 Views)

Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! / What Is The Difference Between SOHC And DOHC Engines And Which Is Better? / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 04, 2013

[color=#006600]"IF you want to frighten the family dog, and get your family round in style and blistering speed, the Audi RS6 Avant is the car to have." - Jeremy Clarkson.

1 Like

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 04, 2013
Exterior:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
Interior:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 04, 2013
The RS6's powerplant:

And for comparison, the Audi A4 1,8T Quattro Avant's baby engine:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 04, 2013
The RS6 with her little sister, the A4 1,8T Quattro:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 04, 2013
The Bilstein PSS9 coilover suspension kit that's going onto the Audi RS6:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 04, 2013
Besides the blown DRC suspension, the RS6 had other issues:

01) Dash lit up, a ton of codes.
02) Massive misfire, engine bucking under load.
03) Cruise non-functional.
04) ABS warning illuminated.
05) PDC non-functional.
06) DRC non-functional - all dampers blown.
07) Tip non-functional.
08) Padde shift non-functional.
09) Rear right-hand side window operates intermittently, and sometimes opens on its own.
10) One horn non-functional.

Now, a lot of the issues I've resolved.

01) and 02): After going over the entire engine bay, checking sensors (VCDS pulled so many codes, it was amazing the engine still ran) I discovered the ECU wasn't actually seeing 2 injectors, boost control valve, 1 coilpack.

My initial thoughts were the ECU drivers were blown. Reading between the ECU plugs and the connectors to coilpack, injectors and the BCV with a multimeter showed no continuity. So what had gone wrong?

Some slowpoke had butchered the engine harness. They had actually cut it up, and linked the two defective injectors to run from the working ones. So this meant, the injectors were no longer sequential. The engine was over fuelling real bad. There was also a high reading on the left-hand MAF.

I had no option, but to replace the engine harness. The MAF was actually the main culprit. They are attached to the carbon fibre airbox, and when the airbox is installed, the MAF's fit into the intake trumpets, and seal with rubber seals with steel outers. One was completely busted, so unmetred air was being drawn in. I replaced both, and with the new harness, the engine ran like an RS6 should, and is now CEL-free.

03) and 04): I suspected what was wrong, and VCDS confirmed it. A bad connection in the lower harness connector. Repaired, cleared codes, and the ABS warning went away. And cruise is now restored.

09): There was a break in the door harness, which was evident when the window switch only operated in certain door open positions. There was a break in the power feed, just inside the harness grommet. It would make contact depending on the door open angle. The control module behind the driver's knee bolster was also bad. After replacing both the door harness and control module (relay) the window reverted to normal operation.

10): The horn issue was due to one being defective. I replaced both, as the one that did work sounded like a goat bleating.

05): I suspect one or more PDC sensors is/are bad. Or the control unit. I'll be looking further into that.

07) and 08): I believe the non-functional tip and steering wheel paddle shifters are linked. VCDS pulled a code, I was too tired to note it before I cleared it. Other than this, the car drives and shifts great in auto and Sport mode. There is a magnet built into the tiptronic shifter, if this has come adrift, tiptronic mode won't work, neither will the steering controls. Oh well, strip-down soon.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
The first issue I tackled was the engine harness. Sounds easy, but it's not. With the big V8 in situ, lots of the harness connectors are hidden from sight, I had to go by feel, scraping the skin off my knuckles in tight gaps.

Harness removal:

The replacement engine harness:

Replacement harness versus the old butchered one. The lower harness is the hacked-up one. Note the cut wires on the left of the picture, where the protective boot / grommet is:

Close-up of the cut wires:

And some "modified" yellow looped wires that shouldn't be there:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Tobiizzy(m): 8:57pm On Apr 04, 2013
Following closely
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by lungwun(m): 7:15am On Apr 05, 2013
Also following closely smiley

Siena, after observing the work you have done on several Audi's (Engine modifications, engine swap outs), I have one Question for you.

Is it at all possible to do a swap out the 4 position Pneumatic system in an Audi Allroad (A6 variant, first generation not too dissimilar from your RS6) for more conventional Suspension setup? For instance, will the Bilsteins you just purchased, fit in the Allroad?

After seeing your RS6, this idea just lit up in my head. I love playing mechanic on my cars. And i wish a lot more car talk topics were based on DIY projects.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 9:28am On Apr 05, 2013
Lungwun, I'm glad you find my tech / DIY projects inspiring. smiley

The C5 Allroad OEM air suspension can be swapped for a more conventional set-up, which utilises springs instead of airbags. The C5 A6 quattro set-up will work fine, or even an aftermarket system such as the one I'm fitting to the RS6.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by yungboss(m): 10:08am On Apr 05, 2013
Good job Mr. siena, i'm learning about the Audi Marque...
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 05, 2013
^^^ Thanks buddy. cool
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by globechamp: 12:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
Great to have you back again after a while. Guess you were on the start up sprint for 2013.

Learning so much that I am having to expand my capacity.

Thank you for sharing all the time.

Regards to Baba Siena...
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Ikenna351(m): 5:46pm On Apr 05, 2013
Congrats on your ride!

Ikenna.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 3:01am On Apr 06, 2013
Ikenna351: Congrats on your ride!

Ikenna.

Thanks bro. I trust your Fox is giving you driving pleasure as expected. Looks like new, from the pictures.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Piyke: 5:04pm On Apr 06, 2013
Siena please help here:

[url]https://www.nairaland.com/1245220/failed-acceleration-eod
[/url]

Your comment is highly needed.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by tampa1871: 5:41pm On Apr 06, 2013
Mr. Siena, you are a wizard. I just can't wait to kidnap you and bring you to Tampa, USA. You are too much 4 me. How I wish I'm in Britain to learn from your wealth of experience. I'm your fan forever. Excellent job.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 07, 2013
tampa1871: Mr. Siena, you are a wizard. I just can't wait to kidnap you and bring you to Tampa, USA. You are too much 4 me. How I wish I'm in Britain to learn from your wealth of experience. I'm your fan forever. Excellent job.

Thanks bro, glad you enjoy my projects / write-ups. smiley
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Trac: 5:00am On Apr 08, 2013
Siena, many not understand the depths and the details that go into the final outcome (especially the breeds you work on); but I do (including the philosophy, understanding and call to detail). I was surprised that you were deeply into competition in a previous post. I cannot encourage you but I am impressed.

I have a suggestion: after all the hard work, a signature plaque tattooed somewhere will not be a bad idea. In a place or two that wouldn't be a nuisance and will not be easily removed. The pillar of the rear panel is an example. It's an Audi (Limited) - after 20 years, it will still be on the road. It will be refreshing and rewarding to come across a vehicle that a piece of you reflects. For the advance engine refinement, the block can earn a plaque as well. As you reach different milestones in your career, the plaque changes.

------ Then again: owners may not fancy that.

Either way, this is what I would do.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 08, 2013
^^^ Trac, thanks for your words of advice.smiley
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Apr 14, 2013
With today the 14th April 2013 promising to be good, I decided to tackle the suspension on the RS6.

With the struts being aluminium, I suspected the steel pinch bolts would be stubborn, and i wasd proved right. Steel and aluminium don't go well together - oxidation takes place. It took copious dousing with PB Blaster, and heat from a blowtorch to get the bolts to budge. This was both pronts.

I was only able to do the fronts today. Of course, the Bilstein PSS9 is adjustable for ride height, as well as damping. There's a 6-position knob at the base of the dampers, with 6 being the hardest. I set both fronts at 4, though I'll be tweaking both the damping and ride height, till a happy medium is reached.

Pictures to follow.
Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 14, 2013
There are three 16mm bolts that secure the front struts to the suspension turrets. This is per side. I started on the left front, slackening these bolts, but not removing them completely. Front wheel removed.

Undoing the 16mm bolts in the suspension turrets:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 14, 2013
Removing the lower damper 18mm bolt and nut:

...and the hydraulic line hard line connector. This is a 12mm collar:

...followed by the 24mm nut that secures the flexi hose to a tab in the wheel arch:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Apr 14, 2013
Lastly, I removed the pinch bolt that secures the upper strut to the upper link arms:

I then completely removed the three 16mm bolts in the suspension turret, that secure the strut, and worked the entire strut assembly out from the wheel arch.

Old strut removed from car:

...and beside the replacement Bilstein PSS9 adjustable coilover. Note bearing cap with upper link arms removed, as this will be transferred to the Bilstein unit. I fitted a new top mount while I was in there:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 12:19am On Apr 15, 2013
As I needed to transfer the upper bearing cap, I had to clamp the spring, and remove the tension. Spring compressors aren't generally required for coilovers, or lowered sport springs, as there's usually little or no tension, so they can be fitted fully extended.

Strut with spring compressors in place. These ones have safety locks, as I've had the cheaper ones without locks slip. Easy to lose a finger or two that way, or even get a bust wrist.

Taking the tension off the springs:

With the tension taken off the spring, it was safe to undo the 18mm retaining nut, holding the damper piston with a long-reach 6mm allen key. It was necessary to use a shallow 18mm socket, ground down at opposite sides, so it had "flats" that could be held firm with locking vise-grips:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 15, 2013
Bilstein PSS9 coilover showing adjustment knob:

Strut retaining cap and top mount fitted to Bilstein PSS9:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 15, 2013
It was necessary to set the ride height. I did this by measuring between the spring perch locking collar, and the base of the damper itself. I set it at 8". I'll probably tweak is slightly, but for now, it'll do.

Bilstein PSS9 installed on car, in reverse order of removal:

Re: Sachi Motorsport - Audi RS6 Avant Quattro 4,2 V8 2 X DOHC 40V Biturbo. by Nobody: 12:58am On Apr 15, 2013
I tackled the right front, in the same manner as the left. Putting the wheels on, and lowering the car to the ground showed a marked difference. Very low, and after a quick test drive, feels pretty tight at the front. I didn't push her hard, as the rear end is still floaty, and could step-out mid corner.

How she sits now. Note the much higher rear end, which will be addressed tomorrow when the rear Bilstein PSS9's are installed:

(1) (Reply)

My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On / P1663 Fault Code / My Car In Police Custody??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.