Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words (690 Views)

Before You Post Those Harsh Words / Why Men Treat Side-Chicks Better Than Wives / Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by mentorken05(m): 6:59am On Apr 05, 2013
When I was a kid, my Mum liked to make food for dinner every now & then. I remember one night in particular when she made dinner after a long, hard day at work.

On that evening so long ago, my Mum placed a plate of stew and extremely burnt yam in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet, all my dad did was reach for his yam, smiled at my Mum and asked me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember hearing my Mum apologise to my dad for burning the yam. I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burnt yam."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his yam burnt. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your mama put in a long hard day at work today and she's really tired. And besides... A burnt yam never hurt anyone but harsh words do!" 'You know, life is full of imperfect things... And imperfect people.' 'I'm not the best when it comes to keeping dates and remembering things. I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else'.

What I've learned from this story is that learning to accept each other’s faults and choosing to celebrate each other’s differences, is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship. So...please pass me a plate of yam. And yes, the burnt one will do just fine! And please, pass this along to someone who has enriched your life... Life is too short to wake up with regrets... Love the people who treat you right and have compassion for the ones who don't.

Just think about dis n gud 9t rest! God bless us all IJN... Amen!
Re: A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by emilyone(f): 8:59am On Apr 05, 2013
nice one!
Re: A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by mentorken05(m): 2:14pm On Apr 05, 2013
Really touching
Re: A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 05, 2013
cry I'm not supposed to shed tears. Am I?
Re: A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
^^ You're human ain't ya? 'course you can cry grin
Re: A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 05, 2013
jidegirl12: ^^ You're human ain't ya? 'course you can cry grin
Okay, I guess even Superman cries. cheesy
Re: A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 05, 2013
Brand_new: Okay, I guess even Superman cries. cheesy

He was a cry baby God rest his soul.

1 Like

Re: A Burnt Yam Is Better Than Harsh Words by mentorken05(m): 3:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
Brand_new: cry I'm not supposed to shed tears. Am I?
u can if u want to cos d last tym I checked...no one told u to do so

(1) (Reply)

Politics And Airline Services In Nigeria Are Ritual Business? Must Read / Underage Marriage: Minor Kills Husband Over Sex / What Habits Do U Want To Leave Behind In 2013.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.