Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

What About Government Banning Cars From Cotonou? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What About Government Banning Cars From Cotonou? (1067 Views)

Price Of Toyota Corolla 2008 From Cotonou / Stolen Cars From Usa End Up In Nigeria. / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What About Government Banning Cars From Cotonou? by datola: 8:47pm On Apr 05, 2013
I will like to suggest the banning of importation of cars from Cotonu.

Why did I say this?:

1. Incidents of car theft will reduce to bearest minimum because most stolen cars find their way to Cotonu which are then resold to Nigerians who prefer Cotonou sold cars.
2. Incidents of death as a result of car jacking will almost eradicate.
3. Nigerian faily used Carr market will boom.
4. More revenue for the FG as as importers will be forced to use the ports- smuggling will be a thing of the past especially if there is a law that restrict registration of cars not imported through the authorized ports.

I know this policy will adversely affect Benin Republic economy- but our country's well being should be first consideration. If Nigeria is to consider them at all, the Beneniou govt. should undertake to stop the practice of car theft to Cotonu. Remember the era of Obasanjo when robbers stole Iysbo's car to Cotonu and baba ordered their president to produce the car within certain hours and that Nigeria would block it borders against Benenious. The president was begging OBJ and almost postrating. Recall that the car was return to Nigeria and the culprit arrested and tried here. That was great time indeed as crime of car jacking hardly was heard of.

Nairalanders, it appears our government collect bribe from other countries in order to humiliate Nigrians and subject them to hardship. Government can easily stop issue of car jacking by some simple policies. If not, how did OBJ achieved what I sated above.

I will appreciate our candid and patriotic opinion on this issue.
Re: What About Government Banning Cars From Cotonou? by Advocatesam(f): 9:23pm On Apr 05, 2013
datola:

Good points but it is not dat easy. D major source of revenue for Benin Rep is d duty fees on most of these items both perishable n unperishable goods including cars.

Also 4 d sake of ECOWAS n d bilateral agreement, it will be almost impossible for our Government to stop d importation of cars frm Cotonou.

Thanks

Advocate Sam
Re: What About Government Banning Cars From Cotonou? by sultaan(m): 12:35am On Apr 06, 2013
datola: I will like to suggest the banning of importation of cars from Cotonu.

Why did I say this?:

1. Incidents of car theft will reduce to bearest minimum because most stolen cars find their way to Cotonu which are then resold to Nigerians who prefer Cotonou sold cars.
2. Incidents of death as a result of car jacking will almost eradicate.
3. Nigerian faily used Carr market will boom.
4. More revenue for the FG as as importers will be forced to use the ports- smuggling will be a thing of the past especially if there is a law that restrict registration of cars not imported through the authorized ports.

I know this policy will adversely affect Benin Republic economy- but our country's well being should be first consideration. If Nigeria is to consider them at all, the Beneniou govt. should undertake to stop the practice of car theft to Cotonu. Remember the era of Obasanjo when robbers stole Iysbo's car to Cotonu and baba ordered their president to produce the car within certain hours and that Nigeria would block it borders against Benenious. The president was begging OBJ and almost postrating. Recall that the car was return to Nigeria and the culprit arrested and tried here. That was great time indeed as crime of car jacking hardly was heard of.

Nairalanders, it appears our government collect bribe from other countries in order to humiliate Nigrians and subject them to hardship. Government can easily stop issue of car jacking by some simple policies. If not, how did OBJ achieved what I sated above.

Your perception of resolving issues is the type our leaders adopt; just ban everything they can't understand.

The question you should be asking is why do people like to ship their autos to Cotonou.People will buy and sell cars, a car is the second most expensive purchase most will make so a lot of money is at stake here.

As a government you create an environment that and make money from the taxes Republic Du Benin has made a lot of money from Nigerians(I think some people in govt are paid to keep things that way)

Read this article on cash for clunkers and see how a policy is made to enhance the auto industry rather than ban and restriction the Nigerian government always adopt tactics that the colonial governments used to secure their interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Consumption / SUV With 235,300 Miles Mileage...is It Worth Buying? / How Do I Know If It's A Stolen Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.