Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,310 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Given An Open Cheque! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Given An Open Cheque! (799 Views)

Pls Help Have Been Given Two Weeks To Get A Job / 53million Profit Share Cheque To A Lecturer In Nigeria / Your 50,000 Dollar Cheque (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Given An Open Cheque! by Emusan(m): 8:51am On Apr 06, 2013
I was told I have been employed in a construction firm but I should come back in two weeks time for an open cheque (I mean to talk on my salary). How much can I demand for or if it is you what will you say?
Re: Given An Open Cheque! by gluv01(f): 4:25pm On Apr 06, 2013
Emusan: I was told I have been employed in a construction firm but I should come back in two weeks time for an open cheque (I mean to talk on my salary). How much can I demand for or if it is you what will you say?

Depends on the company. Take a look around, make a friend before the stipulated meeting time, and perhaps, ask the person how much he is being paid. If he/she is lower position than you, maybe just a step below, that can give you a hint on what yours should look like.
If you're asked what your salary requirements are, say that they are open based upon the position and the overall compensation package. Or tell the employer you'd like to know more about the responsibilities and the challenges of the job prior to discussing salary.

Another option is to give the employer a salary range based upon the salary research you've done up front. Once you've received the offer you don't need to accept (or reject) it right away. A simple "I need to think it over" can get you an increase in the original offer.

And if you're ambivalent about the position a "no" can bring you a better offer too. I turned down a position I knew I didn't want, regardless of salary, and received three follow-up phone calls upping the compensation package. Be careful though, if you do definitely need that new job there's a risk that the employer may accept your declining the position and move on to the next candidate.

Hope it helps, wish you luck

1 Like

Re: Given An Open Cheque! by Charlynaira: 5:07pm On Apr 07, 2013
Every organisation has a specific salary scale for any position. If you will be placed in a position where no one is, you can then negotiate for your salary, but if u find yourself in the same position with other workers, I think telling your prospective employer that u would like to be placed at the same salary structure with workers at your position would solve the problem.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Massive Graduate Vacancy At Diamond Techical Company Ltd / O'inc Test And Interview On 16/04/2013 / Which Of These Fg Jobs: Nta,nabda & Sss Is The Best Remunerated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.