Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? (1546 Views)

MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) / See How A Makeup Artist Transformed A Woman With Burn Scars / Are You A Makeup Artist? Drop A Professional Line! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by safe06: 2:27pm On Apr 06, 2013
Hi,what are the signs u look for before choosing a makeup artist? As a makeup artist who have worked with some brides,I have noticed some brides don't realy know what they want,before I apply the makeup on my client's face,I assess the color of the client before making up my mind on the look I will give her,but some of them will emphasize on very bright lipstick after putting on a very bright colored dress,so sometimes they make my work difficult bcoz I get to spend time convincing them on why their lips or eye-shadow shouldn't be loud. Ok,the funny one Ȋ̝̊̅§ when the bride says "U are too cheap,I doubt if u ll do a good job",lol. It waz till I showed her my samples,I got the job ooo. So with the different characters I get to meet in the course of my job,I'm prompted to ask the question,what do brides/celebrants look for in a makeup artist?
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by dominique(f): 8:18am On May 20, 2013
The one that caters to my budget grin
I've never liked heavy makeup on myself or anybody, but that seems to be the trademark of some of those makeup artists (hope you're not one of them o). For my engagement, I specifically told the makeup artist to apply light makeup, instead she applied heaps of makeup angry. She kept saying that's how its supposed to be. For the wedding proper, I told the main makeup artist (her boss) the same thing and she obliged. I wonder why some of them don't listen to their clients, shebi the customer is always right.
Btw, why do u guys charge so high
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by safe06: 8:45am On May 20, 2013
Heheeheee dominique,well I listen to my clients,I am not a fan of heavy makeup either,all I do Ȋ̝̊̅§ study my client's face before her wedding and concentrate on her best facial feauture. Most MUA believe d trads makeup should be colorful,but I try to balance d color of d bride's attire with her makeup,as in,if her attire Ȋ̝̊̅§ on d bright side,I put less makeup on her(d eye shadow n lip stick) and vice-versa. In all,I do consult with my brides on their choice of color for trads,I pick their best color and match with another color that suits their skin-tone,thus balancing the make-up choice and making my work easier. Lol. As for the charges,it varies,different reasons add up,type of makeup used(black-opal and MAC no dey same level),location of event,number of times the bride changes her dress(different makeup),pre-wedding treatment(skin care and facial treatment),and most times its expected of the MUA to make up the chief bridesMaid and the mother of d bride. So we put all that into consideration. And also,makeup products have expiry dates,so if its not used up befor its expiry date(especially powders),its a loss already.
And lastly YES d customer Ȋ̝̊̅§ always right.
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:23pm On May 20, 2013
Safe06,

Thanks for letting us in to the world of MUAs.

Is it possible for MUAs to charge for application only? I meant the client provides the implements and make up things while you just apply on her.

Have you ever encountered such? And if you haven't, what would be your reaction?

Even though some of us may not be MUAs, we do know the nitty gritty about MU but just need a different and professional hand.
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by safe06: 3:07pm On May 20, 2013
@ferhyntorlah,UW.sure,there's nothing impossible,some clients prefer using their own products,bur the thing Ȋ̝̊̅§ all the clients I have encountered such with didn't have all the make up complete,they only possess the basics,I.e,foundation,powder,lipstick,brow pencil,mascara and just few have blush. So @ the end I go with my face primer,eye lid primer,concealer,false-lashes,brow gel,blush,eye-liner,lip-liner and makeup setter. So u see,at d end I still get to use some of my stuff,nd since I use my brushes too,it adds cos I get to use my brush sterilizer when through. But if a client insist I use only her stuff,I will do just as she says and try give her the best her stuff can provide,so the charges will be based on location and applications only.
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:08pm On May 20, 2013
The basics: foundation, powder, lipstick, brow pencil, mascara, blush.

The adjunct: face primer, eyelid primer, concealer, false-lashes,brow gel, blush, eyeliner, lip-liner and makeup setter.

Wow! The world of MU. Please what's the difference among face, eyelid and lip primer? Don't they all contain the same ingredients? False lashes are no go area for me; atmost mascara will do even though I don't use it.

Makeup setter again? Isn't it bronzer and all those shine shine mineral powders/ sprays that's applied on the face for skin glow?

As an MU yourself, I hope you don't apply all these on your skin everyday?
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by safe06: 5:23pm On May 20, 2013
@ferhintorlah,lol,nope d eyelid primer and face primer do not contain same ingredient. There are some lashes that are so natural,people will hardly notice. The makeup setter Ȋ̝̊̅§ different from the bronzer,most atimes bronzer Ȋ̝̊̅§ applied coz of photo effect. The makeup setter sets d makeup,its usually applied after makeup application to cool the face and make d makeup last longer,u will feel refreshed once its sprayed on ur face. I rarely apply makeup only on special occassions,coz that's one other way I advertise myself,I always tell my friends to reduce makeup application so to allow their facial pores breathe.
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by sandylee123(f): 11:09am On May 22, 2013
well, I'm mot a makeup artist, but I helped others to makeup. Usually, I will listen to their opinions, and personally,I don't like heavy makeup.
Re: What Signs Attract U To A Makeup Artist? by safe06: 7:39pm On May 31, 2013
@sandylee,its always kool to listen to people,but if u think they are going way above neccessary,as a professional,u are in a better position to give advices concerning what they want.yes,heavy make-up Ȋ̝̊̅§ a NO NO for м̣̣̥̇̊ε̲̣̣̣̥̊ too,its always better to apply little coz the whole idea Ȋ̝̊̅§ to "enhance" and not to "change".

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful Jewelries At Affordable Prices / Poland Shows Little Appetite For The Naked Mystery Shopper / Call For Participation - The Makeup Fair Series 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.