Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa (111805 Views)

Homosexuality In Pre-colonial Africa / Architectural Wonders From Pre-colonial Africa - Pics / Was Prostitution Part of Our Culture during The Precolonial Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 5:52pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1267697&t=w[/img]

A street in Jenne. (1897)

Image Title
: A street in Jenne.

Additional Name(s)
: Dubois, Félix, b. 1862 -- Author

Item/Page/Plate
: p. 132

Source
: Timbuctoo the mysterious / by Felix Dubois; translated from the French by Diana White ...

Source Description
: xi, 377 p. : ill., maps, plans ; 23 cm.

Subjects and Names

Djenné (Mali)
Dubois, Félix
Streets
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 5:53pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1267701&t=w[/img]

House in Jenne. (1897)

Image Title
: House in Jenne.

Additional Name(s)

Item/Page/Plate
: p. 151

Source
: Timbuctoo the mysterious / by Felix Dubois; translated from the French by Diana White ...

Source Description

Subjects and Names

Cities & towns -- Africa
Djenné (Mali)
Dubois, Félix
Dwellings -- Africa
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 5:56pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1267719&t=w[/img]

Jenne: the barber. (1897)

Image Title
: Jenne: the barber.

Additional Name(s)

Item/Page/Plate
: p. 185

Source

Source Description

Subjects and Names

Barbering
Barbers
Djenné (Mali)
Dubois, Félix
Malians
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 5:57pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1267764&t=w[/img]

A school at Jenne. (1897)

Image Title
: A school at Jenne.

Additional Name(s)

Item/Page/Plate
: p. 290

Source

Source Description

Subjects and Names

Djenné (Mali)
Dubois, Félix
Malians
Muslims
Schools
Students -- Africa
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 6:01pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1267684&t=w[/img]

enne: a corner of the town. (1897)

Image Details

Image Title
: Jenne: a corner of the town.

Additional Name(s)

Item/Page/Plate
: p. 83

Source

Source Description

Subjects and Names

Cities & towns -- Africa
Djenné (Mali)
Dubois, Félix
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 6:09pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1267705&t=w[/img]

View of the interior of Jenne and the old mosque. (1897)

Image Details

Image Title
: View of the interior of Jenne and the old mosque.

Additional Name(s)

Item/Page/Plate
: p. 164

Source

Source Description

Subjects and Names

Cities & towns -- Africa

Cityscapes
Djenné (Mali)
Dubois, Félix
Mosques -- Africa, West
Muslims
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 6:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1267700&t=w[/img]

Brick-making. (1897)

Image Details

Image Title
: Brick-making.

Additional Name(s)

Item/Page/Plate
: p. 149

Source

Source Description

Subjects and Names

Brick industry
Bricks
Djenné (Mali)
Dubois, Félix
Malians
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by PhysicsQED(m): 10:46pm On May 20, 2013
Didn't think wikipedia would have any interesting images, but they actually had a few:

Postcard 407 by Edmond Fortier. A house in Djenné, Mali with a Toucouleur–style facade.

Date: 1906

Source: Djenné, il y a cent ans (1995) by Bernard Gardi, Pierre Maas, and Geert Mommersteeq

Postcard 414 by Edmond Fortier. A street in Djenné, Mali in 1906 showing houses with Toucolor–style facades

Date: 1906

Source: Djenné, il y a cent ans (1995) by Bernard Gardi, Pierre Maas, and Geert Mommersteeq
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 5:31pm On Jun 22, 2013
Ishilove:
Why was that little boy at the far right always scowling?

I believe this is a picture of Behanzin and family members after being exiled to Algeria due to French defeat. I can't imagine it was a happy life.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 6:22am On Jun 23, 2013
MamiWata:

I believe this is a picture of Behanzin and family members after being exiled to Algeria due to French defeat. I can't imagine it was a happy life.
Unique username you got. Are you one of them?
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by ababda: 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2013
George Reisner and his wife exploration of the Nuri pyramids ruins in Northern Sudan. Warning what he mentioned here will offend some, so i assume he is basically a product of his time. His exposition to this region was between 1916-1918

http://books.google.com/books?id=J84aAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA67&lpg=RA1-PA67&dq=george+reisner+at+nuri+pyramids&source=bl&ots=GgYp-bkL-f&sig=jAR3CRZUqCF0TYCy1OwK9MGhCwc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JI6JUev8Kca6iwLCj4DICA&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=george%20reisner%20at%20nuri%20pyramids&f=false

[img]http://orientenresor.se/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/10/Nuri-F-31-700x350.jpg[/img]

http://cool.conservation-us.org/jaic/articles/jaic42-02-003.html

Most of the items found insides the various pyramids are in Museums in the west, but also in Khartoum as well.

Ruins of the Soleb Temple in Northern Sudan today. Photograph was taken by francis Firth 1862

http://ascendingpassage.com/N-170-Soleb-Temple.htm

Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 4:49pm On Jun 23, 2013
Ishilove:
Unique username you got. Are you one of them?

I'm Beninese yes.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 6:14pm On Jun 23, 2013
MamiWata:

I'm Beninese yes.
What I meant is do you belong to the mammy water group?
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 3:32am On Jun 24, 2013
Ishilove:
What I meant is do you belong to the mammy water group?

No I don't have those spirits in my family if that's what you mean.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 8:01am On Jun 24, 2013
MamiWata:

No I don't have those spirits in my family if that's what you mean.
Really? Then why did you select 'Mami Wata' as your moniker? You identify with them, obviously smiley
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 2:40pm On Jun 24, 2013
Ishilove:
Really? Then why did you select 'Mami Wata' as your moniker? You identify with them, obviously smiley
Because I have a love for ATR's wherever they are and I've seen Mami Wata spirits in all of them. How do you know them?
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 3:52pm On Jun 24, 2013
MamiWata:
Because I have a love for ATR's wherever they are and I've seen Mami Wata spirits in all of them. How do you know them?
What does 'ATR' mean?

I know a lot about Mami Wata spirits by virtue of my home town.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by naptu2: 4:07pm On Jun 24, 2013
Ishilove:
What does 'ATR' mean?

African Traditional Religion
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 4:15pm On Jun 24, 2013
Ishilove:
What does 'ATR' mean?

As naptu2 said it means African traditional religion. Where are you from? My parents are from Grand Popo in Benin.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 6:54pm On Jun 24, 2013
MamiWata:

As naptu2 said it means African traditional religion. Where are you from? My parents are from Grand Popo in Benin.
I am from a little known village in the Niger-Delta area of Nigeria. In the village I come from on my mother's side, the village ancestral idol is a Mami Wata idol whose shrine is by the river side. The idol is called 'Emu uno' and is worshipped by the villagers. They sometimes offer sacrifices like biscuits, sweets, live goats etc The irony is the village is one of the most backward and undeveloped in the entire area.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 12:08am On Jun 25, 2013
Ishilove:
I am from a little known village in the Niger-Delta area of Nigeria. In the village I come from on my mother's side, the village ancestral idol is a Mami Wata idol whose shrine is by the river side. The idol is called 'Emu uno' and is worshipped by the villagers. They sometimes offer sacrifices like biscuits, sweets, live goats etc The irony is the village is one of the most backward and undeveloped in the entire area.

Well I think it's important to note that backward and undeveloped are relative terms that seemed to be constantly used from a European perspective. If one believes that Europeans are the model for mankind then yes a lot of West Africa is "backward" and "undeveloped." However if one uses the Beninese model for mankind then European/western culture is unsustainable and spiritless. I say unsustainable because I know that if everyone consumed at the level of the U.S., the country I was born in, we'd need 4 planets. I've always been happy to go to Benin even though it meant that I can't always take running water or electricity for granted. What I can take for granted there is knowing where my food comes from, being able to go outside without locking my door, a group-oriented culture, and not being consumed by "time" or the need to acquire "things." I stay in the U.S. so I can send money back home, not because I like it better.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 5:46am On Jun 25, 2013
MamiWata:

Well I think it's important to note that backward and undeveloped are relative terms that seemed to be constantly used from a European perspective. If one believes that Europeans are the model for mankind then yes a lot of West Africa is "backward" and "undeveloped." However if one uses the Beninese model for mankind then European/western culture is unsustainable and spiritless. I say unsustainable because I know that if everyone consumed at the level of the U.S., the country I was born in, we'd need 4 planets. I've always been happy to go to Benin even though it meant that I can't always take running water or electricity for granted. What I can take for granted there is knowing where my food comes from, being able to go outside without locking my door, a group-oriented culture, and not being consumed by "time" or the need to acquire "things." I stay in the U.S. so I can send money back home, not because I like it better.
I get where you're coming from. However, I know what I say when 'backward'. Compared to other villages in the area, my little riverside village is the most undeveloped.

As for the idol itself, I have never set my eyes on it neither do I want to. 'Give unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's' is what its priests and adherents preach. Funny enough, people who go and pay homage to this idol give testimonies of how well things are going for them. The idol just requires monthly sacrifices of biscuits and sweets thrown into the river and voila, prosperity is yours. If you don't offer this 'sara' as it is called in Yorubaland, it will haunt you and your generations to come. What made it worse is most of our ancestors dedicated to their progeny to this idol with their blood. Blood convenants are very strong convenants, so when the hapless descendants suddenly find themselves facing battles they don't understand, you can be sure it is the idol at work.

Sometimes the spirit behind the idol appears to the descendants through dreams and plainly tells them that things will only go fine if they come and pay homage to it. Some of the people take heed and go back to the village to give it its dues. The 'stubborn' ones who refuse to acknowledge it face tough spiritual battles which translate into the physical, and if they are unfortunate, die untimely.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2013
Ishilove:
Sometimes the spirit behind the idol appears to the descendants through dreams and plainly tells them that things will only go fine if they come and pay homage to it. Some of the people take heed and go back to the village to give it its dues. The 'stubborn' ones who refuse to acknowledge it face tough spiritual battles which translate into the physical, and if they are unfortunate, die untimely.

Yes spirits need to be fed to support us. Everything you said is true. I know some stubborn people who suffer unnecessarily. I hope to never fall into that trap! Why do you think the Yorubas you described are so reluctant to make a small offering?
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 5:30pm On Jun 25, 2013
MamiWata:

Yes spirits need to be fed to support us. Everything you said is true. I know some stubborn people who suffer unnecessarily. I hope to never fall into that trap! Why do you think the Yorubas you described are so reluctant to make a small offering?
They will give honour to one except the Most High God. The thing is once you start feeding these idols, they will never stop demanding.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 4:22am On Jun 26, 2013
Ishilove:
They will give honour to one except the Most High God. The thing is once you start feeding these idols, they will never stop demanding.

I've been blessed to get a lot in return from feeding my ancestors. I hope some of them will decide that they also have something to gain in the relationship. They certainly have a lot to lose by not responding!
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Nobody: 4:56am On Jun 26, 2013
MamiWata:

I've been blessed to get a lot in return from feeding my ancestors. I hope some of them will decide that they also have something to gain in the relationship. They certainly have a lot to lose by not responding!

good to see a fellow pagan, i'm happy and glad to meet you. where r u from? keep the good job

1 Like

Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 5:51am On Jun 26, 2013
MamiWata:

The term 'blessing' is subjective. Riches of the world? At what cost have been blessed, Mami Wata? The thing about the devil is he will give you something with one hand and collect it back with the other hand. If feeding these idols is so great, why do they resist when you stop? Why do they raise a clamour if you decide not to have anything to do with them? If they are so powerful, why can't they feed themselves?

Why do the marine spirits come in the form of spirit husband and wives to molest people? Why do they tell a woman that she can't sleep with her husband on so and so day because it is their turn to sleep with her? Why do the marine spirits make men and women promiscuos despite feeding them?

God almighty said if man will not praise Him, he will raise up stones to do so. In other words, He will not force you. Why do these so-called ancestors force people to worship them? They are a terrible bunch who make life a living hell for those unfortunate enough to be born into a lineage where they made convenants with these powers.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 7:52am On Jun 26, 2013
Double post
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 1:09pm On Jun 26, 2013
Ishilove:
The term 'blessing' is subjective. Riches of the world? At what cost have been blessed, Mami Wata? The thing about the devil is he will give you something with one hand and collect it back with the other hand. If feeding these idols is so great, why do they resist when you stop? Why do they raise a clamour if you decide not to have anything to do with them? If they are so powerful, why can't they feed themselves?

My blessings have nothing to do with riches and everything to do with emotional and mental balance. I had a very rough childhood. I have four sisters who have all rejected our traditional religion. They are all hard drug users and/or mentally unstable (as well as Christians). I felt compelled to embrace my traditions and this is what set me apart from them. Because of my choice I am able to lead a healthy life and health is the most important thing for me.

I think it's very disrespectful to equate our traditions with the devil. Vodun existed thousands of years before Christianity was cobbled together. Christianity is where the idea of the devil comes from and that idea is used to brand everything non-Christian but specifically all things African. I don't have any interest in using European labels. Again I try to see everything through my own eyes and I'm constantly saddened that so many Africans have been persuaded to see themselves in the same way that Europeans see us.

Why do the marine spirits come in the form of spirit husband and wives to molest people? Why do they tell a woman that she can't sleep with her husband on so and so day because it is their turn to sleep with her? Why do the marine spirits make men and women promiscuos despite feeding them?

God almighty said if man will not praise Him, he will raise up stones to do so. In other words, He will not force you. Why do these so-called ancestors force people to worship them? They are a terrible bunch who make life a living hell for those unfortunate enough to be born into a lineage where they made convenants with these powers.

I don't know why spirits do the things they do. I'm not a priestess or shaman. All I am is a woman who has benefited from honoring my own traditions instead of someone else's.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by MamiWata: 1:12pm On Jun 26, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

good to see a fellow pagan, i'm happy and glad to meet you. where r u from? keep the good job

Hi! It's good to see you as I've never met a traditionalist from Cameroon. What's the name of your tradition? My parents are from Benin.
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 26, 2013
MamiWata:

Hi! It's good to see you as I've never met a traditionalist from Cameroon. What's the name of your tradition? My parents are from Benin.
ah ha , we exist oooo. the name is BWITI . eh eh your parents are from Benin and you are from mars? tongue

Ps; don't mind that Israeli whorshipper, calling herself, what she is, her identity Devil, smh. coming from someone who whorship dead people? shocked
Re: Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa by Ishilove: 6:02pm On Jun 26, 2013
MamiWata:

My blessings have nothing to do with riches and everything to do with emotional and mental balance. I had a very rough childhood. I have four sisters who have all rejected our traditional religion. They are all hard drug users and/or mentally unstable (as well as Christians). I felt compelled to embrace my traditions and this is what set me apart from them. Because of my choice I am able to lead a healthy life and health is the most important thing for me.

I think it's very disrespectful to equate our traditions with the devil. Vodun existed thousands of years before Christianity was cobbled together. Christianity is where the idea of the devil comes from and that idea is used to brand everything non-Christian but specifically all things African. I don't have any interest in using European labels. Again I try to see everything through my own eyes and I'm constantly saddened that so many Africans have been persuaded to see themselves in the same way that Europeans see us.

I don't know why spirits do the things they do. I'm not a priestess or shaman. All I am is a woman who has benefited from honoring my own traditions instead of someone else's.
Lucky you. The damned spirits have brought me and my household nothing but headaches and heartaches. My maternal aunt embraced them wholeheartedly but it didn't stop them from taking her second daughter when the poor child was just fourteen. My great cousin who was like one of the wealthiest people in that godforsaken little village fell victim to them. My grandmother who was quite a dedicated follower was unceremoniously plucked when she was thirty-six. Another maternal aunt, a mother of eight children was not spared when she turned 39.

The aunt whose child they took decided to 'fortify' her remaining kids against untimely death. She went back to their priestess, offered up sacrifices and was guaranteed that none her children would die again. Her only remaining daughter, my first cousin joined their group and became so involved that she could understand and speak their secret language. Her mother prospered for a time but now she is back on hard times. My own mother was struck four years ago but the Most High brought her back from the valley of the shadow of death.

In all honesty, would you want to honour spirits that have been a thorn in the neck from the very beginning? Forget what that bufoon, CameroonReetard says, there is only one power that deserves honour, and it is not definitely not a bunch of principalities dwelling in the depths of the ocean.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Nigerian (igbo) & African American / What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.