Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Today Is World Health Day! 5 Tips For Healthy Living! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Today Is World Health Day! 5 Tips For Healthy Living! (1400 Views)

Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes / World Health Day is 7th April. Topic..... / Revolutionize Your Health, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar For Healthy Living (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is World Health Day! 5 Tips For Healthy Living! by omicron(m): 11:26am On Apr 07, 2013
I just finished seeing a patient with stroke. As usual, he was not aware he has been having high blood pressure, apparently for years! As I made my way out of the Hospital ward, I recalled that today, April 7, is World Health Day - A day set aside by the World Health Organisation to promote awareness on health at the personal, community, national and global levels. Then I thought to myself, "if this patient had known he has been hypertensive all this while, maybe he could have prevented this stroke that could leave him paralysed for so long, if not for life!". Yet, his case is not so different from many people, especially in this part of the world where poverty and ignorance are at its highest.

On the occasion of this Year's world health day, here is a summary of some tips for healthy living.

1) Develop Good Eating Habits...limit intake of processed foods such as canned foods, bakeries and mineral drinks. These have all been associated with health problems ranging from heart problems to cancers. Avoid alcoholism as this can damage the liver. Eat fruits and vegetables lavishly. Eat more of bright coloured fruits. Avoid junks.

2)Exercise regularly. You must have heard before, yet do you get regular exercises? Not just specific cardio or tummy work ups, but whole-body exercises. Guys, do you still play football? Ladies, have thought about going out the field for some volleyball or long tennis? The more exercises we get, the more we invest in our health. Diseases like diabetes, hypertension and some causes of female infertility are know to response favourably to regular exercises.

3) Avoid Mental stress. Yes, I know work could be demanding and stuffs, but you can still relax. In the midst of all the husssles, you can still reduce the tensions. Stop hating and anger as these are also significant causes of stress.

4)Seek Health Awareness. Hey, this is the 21st century. You can once in a while decide to look up some conditions online. Fortunately, there are a lot of sites that offer useful explanations of health conditions in lay language. While this should not substitute for your medical check ups, you learn a lot of things that can improve your health by just a simple surfing. It is funny how you see an undergraduate asthmatic who knows nothing about asthma!
Re: Today Is World Health Day! 5 Tips For Healthy Living! by omicron(m): 11:34am On Apr 07, 2013
Cont'd

5) Go for Regular Check Ups. This is very important. Are you up to 35years old and you have never done a blood sugar test to check for diabetes? Do you know if you have some silent diseases like hypertension? Every person up to 40 is supposed to be going for at least bi anual check ups for Blood pressure, blood sugar, kidney tests, eye check and so on. And, if sexually active, HIV test. Also breast examinations fir the adult female. This is to help you to discover diseases and infections at their earliest stages when they can easily be handled. Do not wait till you have stroke or renal failure before you go see your doctor.

For more on health tips seehttp://personalexcellence.co/blog/healthy-living/. It's a site I found useful.

Happy World Health Day Nairalanders!
Re: Today Is World Health Day! 5 Tips For Healthy Living! by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 07, 2013
Work will be much easier for nigerian doctors if the nigerians can be more health conscious. Have a regular check up,Make lil research on their illness and other common ailments.

We're improving tho'. We will get there.
Re: Today Is World Health Day! 5 Tips For Healthy Living! by Nobody: 11:23pm On May 07, 2016
There's a site I visit for daily health tips. You should check it sometime. [url]Jaydoefz..com[/url]

(1) (Reply)

I Need Any A Solution To My Potbelly / 5 Proven Tips To Grow Taller After The Age Of 25 / How Do A Nigerian Fight Psoriasis?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.