Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist (45019 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / The Council That Created Jesus - By Former Pastor, Ray Hagins / Former Pastor Says ''Jesus Is Not Coming Back!'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by ooman(m): 3:51pm On Apr 07, 2013
On March 16, 2013 Gordon Douglas, a former pastor, missionary and evangelist finally posted the 10 reasons why he decided to look into the evidences for the absence of a God and finally embrace atheism, the natural way of existence on Real Bible Stories Website.

His testimony in his words

Gordon Douglas: Many people ask why someone like me, who came from a Christian home, went to a Christian high school and then went on to spend five years in seminary and become a pastor, a missionary, and an evangelist, would turn his back on the God he spent a lifetime worshiping and serving and give up all faith in the supernatural. The answer is very simple, and I’m about to give it. First, however, let me tell you what the reason is not.

Most people, upon hearing my story, decide (regardless of their own spiritual beliefs or religious affiliations) that I must be mad at God. They tell me I just had the wrong religion, or that I just needed to try their particular name-brand. It’s the one thing religious people of all stripes can actually agree on, and it isn’t even true.

I did, in fact, have a rough time in religion. My formative years of trial and tribulation didn’t weaken my faith in the least. In fact, it was because of these troubles that I spent many nights on my knees praying that I might not be like “those other Christians,” and that God would show me the path to becoming his choice servant. It was because of this that I began to take my studies of the Judeo-Christian god very seriously, and it was this in-depth study and reflection that led to my current state of unbelief.

Let me share with you the ten main reasons I found that reflect why I went from a Fundamental, Independent Baptist minister to an ardent Atheist.

Other Religions Exist:
I used to believe that only my religion could be right, and that every other religion was wrong. I studied apologetics so I could prove this to anyone I met. Anyone else who claimed to know their religion was true deep in their heart was clearly suffering a Satanic delusion. At the exact same time, I believed a clearly mythological story with blind faith and nothing more to back it up than the fact that I knew deep in my heart that it was true. Then I realized that people fly planes into buildings, run into crowded plazas with bombs strapped to them, and drink poisoned Kool-Aid in the name of their gods. If faith is really the true measure of the veracity of a religion, I was clearly in the wrong church, and should have become a militant Muslim.

Faith is Rewarded to the Same Degree as Disbelief: Once, I would pray daily, often for hours, for every little facet of my life, turning over even the most insignificant little things to the creator of the universe. Sometimes he would answer positively, other times negatively, and other times by seeming to tell me to wait. If I were not praying for what God would want me to pray for, the answer would undoubtedly be no, but if I were asking in faith for something that lined up with God’s will, I would be rewarded. It made me wonder why it was God’s will that certain of my colleagues drove a Mercedes while he wanted me to drive a pale yellow 1988 station wagon.

Then, I came to the realization that if I prayed to God for a given number of things, and I prayed to a rock for that same number of things, the chances are very good that the rock and God would answer roughly the same number of times. Muslims pray to their God, Hindus to theirs, Catholics and Protestants to theirs, Wiccans to theirs . . . and after all is said and done, every God seems to answer in roughly the same proportion . . . unless of course for the 100% rate of failure for such requests as healing an amputee or “moving a mountain.”

God Can’t Be Proven: I used to say to the doubters “You can’t disprove God!” That’s true, but it’s true for one very important reason: you can’t disprove something you don’t have proof of. I can’t disprove leprechauns, or Bloody Mary, or ghosts, or Smurfs, or anything that I don’t first have proof of. You can only disprove something by showing how the proof of it is not valid. My entire life once required belief in something that in no way could be proven to be real. This is like turning around to sit down on a chair when you never actually verified that the chair was there in the first place. The worst part about it is that, instead of a slightly bruised bottom, you come out of it with an entire life wasted trying to sit in a chair that isn’t there.

The God of the Bible Can be Disproved: The God of the Bible (and the Koran, and the Book of Mormon, etc.) already has enough going against him… If he were really the author of the Bible, it would probably be much less full of atrocities, contradictions, plagiarisms and absurdities. Considering the only real knowledge we have on the subject comes either from numinous, unverifiable personal experiences or ancient books of mythology which can be proven to be as I’ve just described them (in a word: nonsense), the God which they describe can thus safely be assumed to be fictional.

Religion is, By Nature, Deluding:
I did a bit of math and found out that I had read the entire Bible, all sixty-six books of it, all the way through no less than 26 times from the time I got “saved” to my senior year in seminary. In all this time, I read every single word, and yet I never caught how evil God was, I never saw his bloodthirsty acts and his terrible, tyrannical ways or his childish temper tantrums. I never saw the obvious mistakes and contradictions in the Bible. There were so many things in the Bible I just didn’t see until the day I chose to read it with a wary, discerning eye, and then everything came out.

There is something about religion that makes it a very powerful force, and that something is its insubstantiality. When something doesn’t really exist, you can make any number of arguments in its favor, and to the believing mind answers can come easily because any answer can easily fit. If you ask me to do something and I don’t do it, I can make up an excuse or give you the facts as to why I didn’t, but in the end there is a real reason why I didn’t do it. When you ask God to do something and he does not, it is easy enough to come up with any excuse for him, and since he doesn’t really exist any excuse fits neatly.

I know so many Christians who can’t see how awful the Bible and God really are, and those that can see it make excuses for it. “That’s just the Old Testament!” they say. “We live under the New Testament!” Yes, but your god still killed 70,000 people with pestilence just because their king counted them. He still had bears disembowel forty-two children for making fun of a bald man. He still made a law that said a woman was to be stoned to death if she was raped and didn’t scream loud enough for someone to hear her. He’s the same God.

We don’t release mass murderers from prison because they “turn over a new leaf,” and we wouldn’t suddenly vote back in a violent despot we just deposed because he swore he’d be a little nicer this time around. We shouldn’t worship a monster because he offers us salvation from a pit of fire he himself is threatening us with.

Science is Obviously Better: Science, it has been pointed out, is not perfect and doesn’t have all the answers. However, it does have a method for obtaining answers, whereas religion simply claims answers without having ever done any of the work to get there. Science starts with the idea that we do not know something and then tries to figure it out. Religion starts with the arrogant assumption that we know God exists and therefore must base all our knowledge on that idea.

Once again, religion causes a delusion which stands in the way of readily-available facts and steps around the intellect. This delusion was so strong in me that despite my deep-seated love of science I accepted the pseudo-science of men like Kent Hovind (I even attended one of his lectures in high school), Duane Gish, and Ken Ham without bothering to seek out the truth. As soon as I chose to open my eyes, it became clear to me that the only reason I believed in Creationism was because that’s what I wanted to believe in, and the only reason I didn’t believe in Evolution was because I chose not to see all the available evidence.

The Origins of All Religions are Clear: The first man to invent religion obviously looked up at the sky and said, “I have no idea how all this got here. I made this hut, and this fire, and this wagon, and I tamed this wild dog, and so whatever made the sky must be something very similar to me, only much more powerful.” Obviously. God was made in man’s image, not the other way around. He was a creation of humanity from when we couldn’t figure out any better explanation for the difficult questions of existence. When I was less educated and was inundated on every side with religious “science,” I believed that the only answers were in God. When I started to see answers to these “unanswered” questions revealed with ease and the evidence for true science piling up while the explanations offered by religion withered away, it became obvious that humanity had surpassed its need for these easy answers and their remaining vestiges were holding back our species.

There’s No Difference: Religion and a Relationship with God are just jargon for the exact same thing. When I was a Christian, I used to use the phrase “Some people have a religion, but what I have is a relationship with Jesus Christ.” I also used to throw around the words “Head Knowledge and Heart Knowledge” quite a bit. But in reality, it’s all just fancy ways of saying the same thing: having an emotional, spiritual experience that can’t be quantified logically. It’s faith, either way… it’s believing in something that isn’t real. Some people just get arrogant about it and think that only they have the right answer, and then stupid phrases like the ones above get formed.

Personally, since I’ve become an atheist, I’ve heard this a ridiculous number of times directed back at me. My religion was just the wrong flavor, it all boils down to, and I should have forsaken religion and instead seek out the true power of a relationship with Christ. This is rather upsetting to me, because these people don’t know me, and they don’t know the sleepless nights I spent praying that God would use me in a powerful way. They never saw how I wept over “lost souls.” They never listened to my preaching, which I swore didn’t come from me as I was always terrified right before I stepped up to the pulpit and became strong as the words seemed to flow from the Holy Spirit. These people don’t know that I was exactly like them, and the only difference between us is that I dared to question my faith.

Religion is Destructive: Religion creates rifts and divisions in the world. It causes backwards-thinking and halts medical, scientific, and societal progress. It encourages people to be content rather than try to better themselves, and to trust in an invisible friend rather than strive to succeed. It takes away any joy that we might have in our own successes and instead throws them at the feet of an invisible being that had nothing to do with it. It makes people sit idly by and pray rather than stand up and do something themselves. It locks young people in and does everything it can to ensure that they will never even have the opportunity to look in any other direction. This cannot be the will of any supreme being, unless it is stupid or evil.

Christians Don’t Really Get Persecuted: One of the halls in my dormitory was named after a missionary who died a martyr’s death in Romania. The truth of the matter was that he fell asleep at the wheel and drove into a tree. I used to put on a play in my college drama team about the missionaries to the Auca Indians who were murdered for sharing the Gospel, and then found out they knew they were in danger because the Aucas killed any outsiders who entered their village. I also used to do a play about the missionaries who were martyred with the China Inland Mission during the Boxer Rebellion, and then I found out that the Chinese were persecuting and killing Christian missionaries because they were persecuting and killing ANYONE who was a threat to their national cultural heritage (and the Christians were doing a great job trying to make sure the Chinese became just like the White Devil).

The truth of the matter is that Christians get EXACTLY what they want, and they get it because they keep saying that they are a persecuted minority who don’t get anything that they want. The truth is that they are one of the most powerful groups in the world, especially in America, and the most powerful political party in the United States is nothing more than their soap box.

“OH NO!” they say, “people are trying to get prayer taken out of schools! People are trying to get the Ten Commandments out of courthouses! People are trying to get the Bible and Creationism out of the classroom! We are SO PERSECUTED!” The truth of the matter is that a few (and I mean a VERY FEW) people of good conscience in this country who understand the precepts of separation under which the country was founded know that those things don’t belong there, and are fighting to get them removed. It’s us, the nonbelievers, who are having the hard time, it’s us who are persecuted, it’s us who are the minority.

When you go to try to get a new job, and someone says “He’s a good, Christian man,” you have a much better chance of getting the job than when they say “He’s an atheist” about me. When parents hear an atheist is dating their daughter, it’s like they just heard it was a Satanist. You try closing a big deal when your clients find out you don’t believe in God. Any Christian who says he is persecuted is simply repeating back rhetoric he’s heard from his pastor, unless he’s a missionary, in which case he’s most likely being persecuted because he showed up on someone’s doorstep and told them that everything they know is wrong and they need to be more like him in order to be accepted by God.

Evil Exists in the World: My favorite argument for the nonexistence of God comes from Epicurus: “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

I’ve heard so many people say “God allows us to have free will. If we do evil with the gift of free will, it isn’t God’s fault, but our own.” That makes me want to do evil to the people who say worthless, thoughtless garbage like that. Is it really a little girl’s free will to be kidnapped, molested, raped, tortured, murdered, and left on the side of the road in a plastic bag? Is it really a woman’s free will to choose a man because he seems to be a good Christian only to find out that his spirituality has caused him to repress perversions that lead to his arrest for molesting children? Is it the free will of all those precious children who die of leukemia, or AIDS, or SIDS, or who are born into the world handicapped or diseased at no fault of their own? Whose free will was that?

Or was it just God’s will, because somewhere somebody had a lesson to learn from a little boy being born without hands and feet, or a little girl being born in a country where they practice clitoral disfigurement?

I once desired to be God’s primary servant, and now I don’t believe in him at all. All it took was for me to choose to open my eyes and critically examine my beliefs. I know that argument and debate rarely does any good, because both sides often start out set in their ways and firm in the idea that they cannot be wrong, with the sole interest of changing their counterpart’s mind rather than learning something new for themselves. The solution to this is to question one’s own beliefs, one’s own safety zone, with a critical, apprehending eye. I set out to find God, and found that he wasn’t there. I contest that anyone who chooses to seek truth on their own, by questioning their own deep-seated beliefs like I did, will inevitably find that they may not be as true as they once thought.

…Unless, of course, they choose not to see it.

29 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 07, 2013
I wish time was on my side this period. I will be back my friend.

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by kambo(m): 9:56pm On Apr 07, 2013
wow! Anoda mmisguided pawn. Tonnes of unsound arguments some consolation to them atheists. One thing this convert shud ponder is whether there is a Hell- cuz science cant help him here. If there is a hell then d devil will laff in his face when he discovers too late that d bible he mock'd at was actually true . Is d rapture going to occur!? If d bible is a farce then dats balooney but if d rapture occurs what will he say.. One world government, d mark without which no one can buy or sell all these are events foretold many centuries ago, if d bible is false and God dnt exist he can laff it off but if not he'd better pray tht science will bail him out cuz he'll hav a lot of regreting and teeth gnashg to do... Let him b waitg 4 everythg to make "sense" b4 he aknowledges God .. Abraham responded to God's call by simply believing God and taking Him at his word even when all was hopeless .. But this man is lookg 4 irrefutable proof . God gave abraham his word nothing more and God is giving this type His word only God wnt change principles for no confused doubter.. But d consequences of throwg his soul away so trivially is immeasurable.

46 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by jayriginal: 12:03am On Apr 08, 2013

Religion is, By Nature, Deluding: I did a bit of math and found out that I had read the entire Bible, all sixty-six books of it, all the way through no less than 26 times from the time I got “saved” to my senior year in seminary. In all this time, I read every single word, and yet I never caught how evil God was, I never saw his bloodthirsty acts and his terrible, tyrannical ways or his childish temper tantrums. I never saw the obvious mistakes and contradictions in the Bible. There were so many things in the Bible I just didn’t see

The Origins of All Religions are Clear: The first man to invent religion obviously looked up at the sky and said, “I have no idea how all this got here. I made this hut, and this fire, and this wagon, and I tamed this wild dog, and so whatever made the sky must be something very similar to me, only much more powerful.” Obviously. God was made in man’s image, not the other way around. He was a creation of humanity from when we couldn’t figure out any better explanation for the difficult questions of existence.

!!!

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Heatblast(m): 12:20am On Apr 08, 2013
Religion is Destructive: Religion creates rifts and divisions in the world. It causes backwards-thinking and halts medical, scientific, and societal progress. It encourages people to be content rather than try to better themselves, and to trust in an invisible friend rather than strive to succeed. It takes away any joy that we might have in our own successes and instead throws them at the feet of an invisible being that had nothing to do with it. It makes people sit idly by and pray rather than stand up and do something themselves. It locks young people in and does everything it can to ensure that they will never even have the opportunity to look in any other direction. This cannot be the will of any supreme being, unless it is silly or evil.
Case study: The Nigerian society I find myself in cry undecided

8 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Inova(m): 6:34am On Apr 08, 2013
kambo: wow! Anoda mmisguided pawn. Tonnes of unsound arguments some consolation to them atheists. One thing this convert shud ponder is whether there is a Hell- cuz science cant help him here. If there is a hell then d devil will laff in his face when he discovers too late that d bible he mock'd at was actually true . Is d rapture going to occur!? If d bible is a farce then dats balooney but if d rapture occurs what will he say.. One world government, d mark without which no one can buy or sell all these are events foretold many centuries ago, if d bible is false and God dnt exist he can laff it off but if not he'd better pray tht science will bail him out cuz he'll hav a lot of regreting and teeth gnashg to do... Let him b waitg 4 everythg to make "sense" b4 he aknowledges God .. Abraham responded to God's call by simply believing God and taking Him at his word even when all was hopeless .. But this man is lookg 4 irrefutable proof . God gave abraham his word nothing more and God is giving this type His word only God wnt change principles for no confused doubter.. But d consequences of throwg his soul away so trivially is immeasurable.
See all you quoted there are just stories my brother. They are only good for extracting morals. You go and fast for forty days and nights according to the bible and tell me if you will live to tell us.
The day you start asking questions and ur not getting reasonable answers you will then understand his point.
The man realLy made points there. You hv just chosen not to admit.

21 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 7:02am On Apr 08, 2013
Yeah,this guy reminds me of how back in the days,i also spent sleepless nights on my knees seeking god to use me.How i spent entire days on my bible.i still have that bible.Although i was quite young,my spiritual expectations were enormous.My preaching both in n out of the pulpit moved 'sinners' to tears.And finally i found out i'd been seeking the air all along.

12 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 7:09am On Apr 08, 2013
It is quite inevitable for someone who has sought god above par to not find out something is wrong somewhere.It all boils down to what he/she chooses to do with that solemn revelation.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Rexyl(m): 1:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
The whole story is backsliding and fall of man that the devil has won. Judas physically and spiritually to some extent walked with Jesus. He stumbled somewhere but was too weak and ignorant of repentance and restoration till the devil possessed him finally. See, by the time the truth was revealed to him it was late. He regretted his wrong decision and doing as he was being lifted down to the hell, Matthew 26 thru 27:1-5. If it has not been too late for this man he can reclaim his salvation from the Merciful God
The Bible is complete, it describes any behaviour man could exhibit at any point in time.

14 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 4:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
Noted.
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by JeSoul(f): 4:50pm On Apr 08, 2013
There will always be hardcore christians and atheists who switch sides. That is to be expected and such is the cycle of life. Some of his reasons are reasonable, and others not so much. His paragraph on science & the nature of religion are simply propagandized appeals to emotion. Any intellectually honest scientist or person of science worth his weight in salt will not attempt to draw imaginary correlations between science & religion. The two are simply not the same. And if you try, you will end up exactly where he is - confused.

Uyi Iredia: Noted.
Hey Uyi wassup dude? hows the search coming along? smiley

11 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by don33310(m): 8:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
Religion have cause more problems than good,how i wish,i can abolish it.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 08, 2013
I would love if this nice write-up go up to the frontpage.
The fact that we have So many religion and even sub-religion is an indication that religion is a sham, fraud, MLM tactics and pure social control.
THe existence of God still get me confusing. but i don't want to believe all those write ups in the so called ''Bible'' because if it is Holy, why would they (elites) put Holy in from of the Bible.? Is it to use subliminal messages to control us into believing that it is Holy?
Reading the bible all through, you can see some mind controlling tactics and so much more.
Humans were the ones who wrote the bible, Quran ect for selfish reasons which are obvious till date.
Pastors soooo rich, religious violence and so much more.
I am not a christian nor a mulim, nor all these religious non senses.
I am who i am.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
Reminds me of this story I shared sometime back

[size=16pt]FROM MISSIONARY TO ATHEIST[/size]

‎"I said, “Oh, there’s a great expression for me to translate.” I built up gradually the ability to translate parts of the bible, and I read to them my translation of part of the Gospel of John one night, and I gave them my testimony. And as you know — anybody who’s got the remotest connection with the Christian church — giving a testimony is supposed to be a powerful thing. You talk about how once I was blind and now I see, how I went from this very bad background to this very good person that I am today.

So I gave them my testimony and I told them about my stepmother committing suicide. When I got done telling them, they all burst out laughing, and I said, “What are you laughing about?” I was really hurt. “Why are you laughing?” They said, “We don’t kill ourselves. You people kill yourselves? What is this?”

We learn that not all the things we thought were universal are universal, not all the things that make people happy are necessary to make people happy, and that the idea that somebody died on a cross 2,000 years ago that nobody ever saw, nobody knows anybody who ever saw, has any relevance to my happiness or my life in any way today.

As I began to think back on it, and reflect at night of all the people I had met, it occurred to me that the most important lessons in my life were from meeting people who were not like me, whether they were Brazilian intellectuals, or people from other religions, or people who had no religion, or people of other races and ethnicities. These were the lessons that had most affected me.

We live in guilt and Christianity takes away our guilt. We have been made lost by religion, in many respects. Finding salvation has become the task of so many Americans because they’ve been told that they’re lost in one form or another by this guilt and the oppression of religion.

[size=14pt]
That’s why David Livingstone, when he went to Africa as a missionary, said that the first step of missions is to destroy the local culture. Destroy it through capitalism, because as you create a desire for Western goods, they will realize how worthless they are and they will listen to the missionary about their god. That is an effective strategy, by the way.
[/size]

Read the full text here: http://ffrf.org/publications/freethought-today/articles/the-pirahae-people-who-define-happiness-without-god/

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by jayriginal: 11:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
JeSoul: There will always be hardcore christians and atheists who switch sides. That is to be expected and such is the cycle of life.

Truer words were never spoken.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by ooman(m): 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2013
JeSoul: There will always be hardcore christians and atheists who switch sides.

There is nothing like "hardcore" atheism. Atheism is simply the believe in no God and the use of reasonable explanation for nature. You cant get any deeper in atheism, the deepest you can get is to say that no god exist.
When any atheist stops being reasonable and think that god exist, then he has simply moved from disbelief to belief and has simply rejected logic and became newly insane.

However, there are hardcore worshipers. The deeper you get in god depends on how much you allow your brain to hallucinate. If you meditate long enough to hallucinate visions and become insane enough to speak complete gibberish in the name of speaking in tongues, then you are a hardcore xtian and its becomes wonderful when such people get free from their psychedelia and choose nature-atheism, because they had been healed from their delusions.

5 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Emusan(m): 6:11pm On Apr 09, 2013
ooman:

There is nothing like "hardcore" atheism. Atheism is simply the believe in no God and the use of reasonable explanation for nature. You cant get any deeper in atheism, the deepest you can get is to say that no god exist.
When any atheist stops being reasonable and think that god exist, then he has simply moved from disbelief to belief and has simply rejected logic and became newly insane.

However, there are hardcore worshipers. The deeper you get in god depends on how much you allow your brain to hallucinate. If you meditate long enough to hallucinate visions and become insane enough to speak complete gibberish in the name of speaking in tongues, then you are a hardcore xtian and its becomes wonderful when such people get free from their psychedelia and choose nature-atheism, because they had been healed from their delusions.

The man didn't say God does not exist if you read it with utmost mind. But because devil has looked for a way to snatch his soul he begins to see God as a wicked being. If God doesn't exist somebody like me won't say anything about Him. Science is real but claiming there is no God is wrong. By God's grace I have something to invent to the whole world soon but does that mean I must claim that God doesn't exist NO! Some scientist got it wrong when they are begin to reason abstractly. To the man I pray he will realise where he got it wrong and reconcille himself back to God.

8 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by ooman(m): 7:13pm On Apr 09, 2013
Emusan:

The man didn't say God does not exist if you read it with utmost mind. But because devil has looked for a way to snatch his soul he begins to see God as a wicked being. If God doesn't exist somebody like me won't say anything about Him. Science is real but claiming there is no God is wrong. By God's grace I have something to invent to the whole world soon but does that mean I must claim that God doesn't exist NO! Some scientist got it wrong when they are begin to reason abstractly. To the man I pray he will realise where he got it wrong and reconcille himself back to God.

You seem not to get it. Atheism is as a result of study of nature, not just some ancient ideas.

The more you study and understand nature, the more you realize that intelligence is never involved.

Nature itself speaks against god.

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by jayriginal: 1:35am On Apr 10, 2013
ooman:

I think you miss JeSoul's point. One of us certainly did.
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by don33310(m): 5:33pm On Apr 10, 2013
The world would have been peaceful without religion
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by victorNRceo: 7:57pm On Apr 10, 2013
Emusan:

Sir,u are the person who read without utmost mind. The former evangelist purely stated that one can only disprove things that can be proven,and since he can't disprove God this means there ain't no proof of God = his non-existence. The man didn't say he saw God as a wicked being(since he couldn't fathom or sense a god,how would he have said that),he only said that he saw the bible's concept of God as a wicked,childish and fictional being.

musKeeto: Reminds me of this story I shared sometime back

Read the full text here: http://ffrf.org/publications/freethought-today/articles/the-pirahae-people-who-define-happiness-without-god/

what else would I say except that jes to avoid unnecessary repetition of wat u've given account.

Anyway,I would say; we have only got jes our potential power to make this world safe n I rise to make others(only free thinkers n atheist,the religious will derail the progress) rise,and together we shall make this world more safe,controlled and habitable for our only good...

If ya aligned to this then like this comment. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by victorNRceo: 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2013
Emusan:

Sir,u are the person who read without utmost mind. The former evangelist purely stated that one can only disprove things that can be proven,and since he can't disprove God this means there ain't no proof of God = his non-existence. The man didn't say he saw God as a wicked being(since he couldn't fathom or sense a god,how would he have said that),he only said that he saw the bible's concept of God as a wicked,childish and fictional being.

musKeeto: Reminds me of this story I shared sometime back

what more would I say to ^. Jes to avoid unnecessary repetition of wat u've given account.

Anyway,I would say; we have got jes only our potential power to protect this world n I rise to make others(only free thinkers n atheist,the religious will derail the progress) rise,and together we shall make this world more safe,controlled and habitable for our only good...If ya aligned to this,like this comment. Cheers
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 10, 2013
Nw which of dem I go like? Lol..
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by victorNRceo: 9:32pm On Apr 10, 2013
musKeeto: Nw which of dem I go like? Lol..

ma comment na. Abi u no dey feel megrin
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by kambo(m): 11:50pm On Apr 10, 2013
@inova

you say all the claims in the bible are "stories" !! -
The bible makes claims concerning the future of mankind and every single soul on it ?
in other words it does what so called science - the highest appeal of u atheists - cannot
do which is to foretell the future! - and you say its story?

it says something about - life after death - something science cannot comment on?
because for science to give conclusive feedback on what happens after death -
scientist have to die and return - all what science can say here on life after death
are inconclusive.

If christianity is some man made contrition - time will tell. if it is not?
the consequences for the atheists are better imagined.

some claims christianity makes.

1.) only one way to God (not many ways) - the way is thru Jesus christ
(this blows the theology of lumping christianity together with other religions)
The bible says "except a man is Born again - HE SHALL NOT ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD"
OR "SHALL NOT SEE HEAVEN"
THAT IS A definite claim: it's unambiguous.
if it is false , then all christians are fools and brain washed , else
you already know what fate is.

2.) They'll be a rapture . of the saints .
a real life event not something spiritual,
when it happens the entire world will know something has hit it.
Again, if this is story story , all christians are fools else --
non christians are on the losing side.

3.) God made the world (it is stated so unequivocally in many pages of scriptures
) that God made the world..
Again, its up to u to do what you like with this claim.

4.) All whose names are not found written in the book of Life will be thrown into
the lake of fire .
"And i saw the Dead small and great stand before God and the earth and sea
fled befor him .. etc "
is the truth or myth (everyman has to make this decision for himself)

5.) one world government ,inevitable, eventually leading to worship of a man whom the bible
calls the "man of sin" who'll tag every soul for satan , because the big tussle
the big price God and satan are fighting for is human souls -
The bible says , Heaven rejoices when "1" sinner is saved!!
-- what dyu make of this? story!!

6.) "behold i stand at the door and knock, if any man hear my voice and let me in I will come in and sup with him and he with me!"
-- that's Jesus talking , he's making a statement that applies to anybody today
a present day statement.
what dyu call it "story"

7.) For God so loved the world that He (God ) sent his only begotten son (why?)
so that WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM will not Perish (where ? this blows the jehovah's witness doctrine of no hell, and the catholic doctrine of purgatory out the water)
in essence -- every human on the planet is at risk of perishing forever in the lake of fire ?
"story"?

8.) "if any man be in christ he is a new creature - old things have passed away
all things have become new!"
-fable?

9.) Tongues (speaking in tongues is a sign to the unbelievers etc)
-- many talk of God proving himself , have you ever heard some1 speak in tongues before?
That's a sign to you!!

10.) so many people will say to me Lord i did miracles in your name ,
cast out demons in your name etc but Jesus will say to them depart
from me you workers of iniquity

(point: even many renowned christians wont make it..)
joke? story?

11.) come let us reason together though your sins be as red as crimson
He (God ) will make them as white as wool
(this is an invitation to every man..)
A wicked God say's "come let us reason together?! dyu know any dictator that tolks
like this?"
story? what will every man that will ever walk the earth do with this statement?
wave it off?
-- when you atheist want to blast the bible you dont present passages like this.
you pick and chose what fits yur taste.
if 11.) is true, let me imagine judgement day?
You the atheist will point your fingers at God and call him wicked,
and He (Jesus- the judge ) will ask you "didnt you read that passage in my book
saying "even though your sins were extreme, my blood was enough to cleanse you"

"God is a wicked God that committed Genocide" - favorite trump card for
painting God black,
But -- God also sent his only Son to die (is that wickedness?)
God warned those tribes he wiped out about their wicked ways -
(all arguments will be contradicted by experiences in the accusers life.
Judges on earth sentence people to the electric chair and we nod and say it
is right - yet point accusing fingers at God and call him wicked!!)

Man, they're so many things christianity says which affects you and I and every body
on planet earth?
And The ball is in your court what to do with these facts...
if they're lies- good. but if not.. man, i wouldnt want to be in your shoes
because -- earth is all you have and when it will be all over you'll wish you were never
born.

There's no man who will be without excuse on judgement day!! --
call it fundamentalism , mind control, call God wicked and unjust bla bla
if the Bible is true -- you'r debates fall on the ground.
All i ask my self is "is the bible true?".

if you want to be an atheist fine. but if you are wrong in your claims,
man!! you'd better enjoy every single day and second and minute you can on earth.
because , like paul said "if this life is all you have -- you are of all men most miserable".

Please nobody is asking any atheist to be born again or such.
And the Mind control accusation labelled against the Bible ? what a joke..
Man is in complete control of his free will if you want to be an atheist God will
not voilate your will,but He tells you , you can't enter Heaven except thru Christ
for He is the Door? the choice is your and others..

36 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by ooman(m): 1:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
^^^It irritated me so much that i couldnt comment at first

especially this:

kambo: "God is a wicked God that committed Genocide" - favorite trump card for
painting God black,
But -- God also sent his only Son to die (is that wickedness?)
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Emusan(m): 4:51pm On Apr 11, 2013
ooman: ^^^It irritated me so much that i couldnt comment at first
especially this:

Is this all what you can say?

What can you say to these?
I'm a native of Oke-agbe Akoko in Ondo state of Nigeria, you can ask any atheist in Nigeria to find out these story for you especially residing in south west.

There was a road that link my village to another village called OYIN. When they are about to construct this road a rock fall along the route where the road suppose to passed. The white man that constructing the road said "if the rock is being blasted the whole of this village would be wipe out with water because the evil spirit inside it is a spirit of water. In this village we don't have big river, or close to sea or ocean even about 3km diameter no river near us. Up till now that particular point is full of pot holes, if you like bring the whole asphat in this world and place it there in the next two-three weeks it will spoil again.

Another one, in 1995 something great happened also in my village along that road I was talking about just like 1-2km away from that very point there was a rock beside the road, (not along the route but a little bit close to the road) at that very point accident usually occur almost every week. Traditional rulers, christians, muslims are complaining and it was revealed that there was an evil spirit inside the rock but who will confront it, Nobody? Churches, muslims they begin to pray, the tradition people they do their own too. 1995 was the year that God save us from that evil spirit, what happened? Around 4:00pm it seems rain wants to fall, breaze up & down and the rain begins to wet the ground not up to ten minutes a powerful thunder struck and behold it hit the rock and pieces it. I couldn't go there but the people that went there says there was splashing of bloods on those broken stones. But there was a place you can stand and you will see the path that the thunder created anything along that path was removed being trees or stones it looks as if bulldozer worked there. That is how accident cease from that road.

Another one happened also at the main market there was a big three in that market though it's not the only tree there. It was revealed to some churches that this particular tree is bewitched it was thunder that uprooted this same tree. Surprisingly, under the tree we (I saw it with my naked eyes) saw pot, stove, spoons, bloods e.t.c because the tree has hole inside and the hole did not link to outside.

I was told about stories of thunder in that village too.

All these happened in the day time not overnight so don't think maybe it is people's handiwork and nobody knows that rain with thunder will occur that day.

I want your say because you said nothing like evil spirit & God.

1 Like

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by ooman(m): 5:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
Emusan:

Is this all what you can say?

What can you say to these?
I'm a native of Oke-agbe Akoko in Ondo state of Nigeria, you can ask any atheist in Nigeria to find out these story for you especially residing in south west.

There was a road that link my village to another village called OYIN. When they are about to construct this road a rock fall along the route where the road suppose to passed. The white man that constructing the road said "if the rock is being blasted the whole of this village would be wipe out with water because the evil spirit inside it is a spirit of water. In this village we don't have big river, or close to sea or ocean even about 3km diameter no river near us. Up till now that particular point is full of pot holes, if you like bring the whole asphat in this world and place it there in the next two-three weeks it will spoil again.

Another one, in 1995 something great happened also in my village along that road I was talking about just like 1-2km away from that very point there was a rock beside the road, (not along the route but a little bit close to the road) at that very point accident usually occur almost every week. Traditional rulers, christians, muslims are complaining and it was revealed that there was an evil spirit inside the rock but who will confront it, Nobody? Churches, muslims they begin to pray, the tradition people they do their own too. 1995 was the year that God save us from that evil spirit, what happened? Around 4:00pm it seems rain wants to fall, breaze up & down and the rain begins to wet the ground not up to ten minutes a powerful thunder struck and behold it hit the rock and pieces it. I couldn't go there but the people that went there says there was splashing of bloods on those broken stones. But there was a place you can stand and you will see the path that the thunder created anything along that path was removed being trees or stones it looks as if bulldozer worked there. That is how accident cease from that road.

Another one happened also at the main market there was a big three in that market though it's not the only tree there. It was revealed to some churches that this particular tree is bewitched it was thunder that uprooted this same tree. Surprisingly, under the tree we (I saw it with my naked eyes) saw pot, stove, spoons, bloods e.t.c because the tree has hole inside and the hole did not link to outside.

I was told about stories of thunder in that village too.

All these happened in the day time not overnight so don't think maybe it is people's handiwork and nobody knows that rain with thunder will occur that day.

I want your say because you said nothing like evil spirit & God.

To begin with, i must tell you that your ignorance is not an excuse for the existence of God.

I quite agree that there are many phenomenons in Africa that dont have scientific explanation YET, due to shortage of evolutionary scientists in Africa. Geysers that occurs in northern hemisphere also have many spiritual explanations given by the natives, until scientists told us what causes those phenomenons.

I am certain that once God is off our community and evolutionary scientists become many, we will start to understand our land much more.

I am also certain that your explanation of spirits is just as a result of ancient myths.

Ask yourself, do you sound reasonable with such explanations? No, you dont
Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Rexyl(m): 6:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
Anybody that disproves the existence of God is wasting his time, it is evident that
there are some happenings beyond human mental capability and scientific proofs, and when such happened we have seen people living without referencing God say with utmost feelings in confusion, agony or regret what indicates existence of a supernatural being, yet some one would still come later and say there is no God. This is complete ignorance and there are strong warnings in the Bible against a conviction like this. Christians should not follow the ways of non believers who have a wrong conception about the work and existence of God. Having known God and His works, we should not fail in what He has committed to us and backed up with authority to deliver trapped souls to His kingdom. May God help us.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by Emusan(m): 11:33pm On Apr 11, 2013
ooman:

To begin with, i must tell you that your ignorance is not an excuse for the existence of God.

I quite agree that there are many phenomenons in Africa that dont have scientific explanation YET, due to shortage of evolutionary scientists in Africa. Geysers that occurs in northern hemisphere also have many spiritual explanations given by the natives, until scientists told us what causes those phenomenons.

I am certain that once God is off our community and evolutionary scientists become many, we will start to understand our land much more.

I am also certain that your explanation of spirits is just as a result of ancient myths.

Ask yourself, do you sound reasonable with such explanations? No, you dont

Allow my ignorance to be controlling me I like it that way.

Shortage of scientists in africa is the one pushing white man to africa and begin to buy africa culture (statute) millions of Naira. Beside you haven't told me what white man used all those statute for.

My stories are based on ancient myths. So you want to tell me you have never heard of thunder strike remember I said it happened in my present not story story. Ofcourse I know if scientist were there at that time they will find something to say just the way they doubt miracles today.

Science of a thing you read it either on books or internet sir, and atheist do believe that most christians were born with Bible. I'm a computer wizard and also a building engineer I have read many books about science because I so much love science but no man I repeat no ma can ever tell me there is no God. So my brother you're not the only one that is scientifically oriented.

7 Likes

Re: Reasons A Former Pastor Became An Atheist by ooman(m): 2:24pm On Apr 12, 2013
Emusan:

Allow my ignorance to be controlling me I like it that way.

Shortage of scientists in africa is the one pushing white man to africa and begin to buy africa culture (statute) millions of Naira. Beside you haven't told me what white man used all those statute for.

My stories are based on ancient myths. So you want to tell me you have never heard of thunder strike remember I said it happened in my present not story story. Ofcourse I know if scientist were there at that time they will find something to say just the way they doubt miracles today.

Science of a thing you read it either on books or internet sir, and atheist do believe that most christians were born with Bible. I'm a computer wizard and also a building engineer I have read many books about science because I so much love science but no man I repeat no ma can ever tell me there is no God. So my brother you're not the only one that is scientifically oriented.

Only a fool will let ignorance control him.

The whites keep the statutes in their museum and they call Them African relics. where do you get the idea that they worship them?

No one ever said christians are born with the bible. I was a christian myself.

Science is natural observation and our observation say that God does not exist and that is what am telling you. God does not exist-that is a fact. You are delusional.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Nigerians Protest In UK Over DSS Attempt To Arrest Apostle Suleman(photos) / My Wife Gave Her December Salary As Seed To Rev. Father Without My Knowledge / Leke Adeboye Shades Daddy Freeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.