Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija (5106 Views)

PHOTOS: Nigeria’s Richest Woman Folorunsho; Husband Modupe & 4 Sons / Folorunsho Alakija Buys G-wagons For Her Sons / P-square With Dangote And Mrs Folorunsho Alakija (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Louis007: 12:35am On Apr 08, 2013
When in November 2012, she made Forbes mention as the 24th on Africa’s 40 richest list, it jolted many. With a net worth of $600m, Folorunsho Alakija was announced Nigeria’s richest woman. If you think this would make her talk about money or how she made hers, you are wrong.

The business mogul is however quick to define wealth in her own words:
“Wealth is beyond money and affluence. It can be classified as a large amount of something, ranging from experience to talent. It is a word that quantifies and qualifies anything. For instance, you could say someone has a wealth of interesting qualities. Many people have said the same to me because there are so many parts to who I am, who I have become and who God has created me to be. I am a businesswoman, a fashion designer and milliner by profession.

“The word wealth qualifies and measures one’s success in achieving set targets and goals, prosperity, and blessings. Blessings can be in the form of good health, the education of children and even living to a ripe old age. Therefore, a wealthy woman is someone who has been able to achieve some, all or even more than these because grace for wealth is unlimited from our God. He desires to bless us all on a daily basis. We just need to learn how to key into it so that we do not limit ourselves,” she says.

The executive vice chairman, Famfa Oil Limited, she founded Supreme Stitches, which later changed to Rose of Sharon House of Fashion, a fashion label that catered to upscale clientele.

Speaking further about her relationship with God, she said “I heard the call of the Lord into Christian ministry many years ago but I was reluctant to yield to the call.

“I believe that my passion for fashion was hugely responsible as I was definitely enjoying what I was doing for a living, although in hindsight, it was really a fulfilling and successful hobby because I was not dependent on it. The zeal to succeed in whatever I decide to do, drove the business. I don’t design clothes any more except the odd ones I may choose to design when I commission such through another fashion designer.”

She also runs a non-profit organisation, the Rose of Sharon Foundation, which she says has changed the lives of hundreds of widows, their children and orphans.

Born in 1951, to the Ogbara family in Ikorodu, Lagos State, she is from a Muslim polygamous family of 52 children. Being the eighth from her father and second from her mother, she says her relationship with 45 other siblings is cordial. “God gave my father the grace to provide for all of us and send more than three quarter of us to England and America to study. My other sibling and I were the first to go. The four years that I spent at such a young age abroad, impacted positively on my life,” she states.

“I was in boarding school and we were the only blacks in the school. I regret that the school building which is one of the most cherished buildings in Wales, has been sold. If I had learnt years ago that it was up for sale, I would have bought it and turned it into a health club. I remember with nostalgia, the etiquette lessons we got-elocution, horse riding, singing lessons, stamp collection, etc. I learnt a lot in those four years. I had to come back quickly because my father didn’t want me to imbibe the western culture to the detriment of our own culture,” she adds.

Never assume that her successes could hinder a blissful marital life. The mother of four, who is now a grandmother, says the success of any marriage depends on respect and submission. To her, a woman can be successful in business and at the home front.

“Personally, I always make sure I seek the support and approval of my husband in whatever I plan to do, either for the day or for the future. This is because I strongly believe he is the head of our home and God is in the centre. As we honour and respect our husbands, God honours and uplifts the work of our hands. He guides and directs us and prospers our plans as a result. I also make it a point of duty not to shirk my responsibilities to my children,” she states.

OIL PRINCEE..COM

1 Like

Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 12:40am On Apr 08, 2013
She fyn?
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by acidtalk: 4:38am On Apr 08, 2013
Person wey get money like her wey no fine na him be say either the papa or mama na confirm bush monkey.

Abi you no know the power of money?

Obj na my padi, but you no notice small changes when he be president from when dey just release am from prison after Abacha die.
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Akshow: 5:43am On Apr 08, 2013
thisisayus: She fyn?
question or statement? She is a rare combination of beauty, brains, intelligence, power and wealth. Ima hunt for her daughter to marry... Yeah! Call me thief and gold digger. If you like go dig coal for Nkalagu. Me na diamond i wan dig grin

1 Like

Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 08, 2013
thisisayus: She fyn?
yes. You blynd?
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Iamoilprince(m): 7:51am On Apr 08, 2013
Akshow: question or statement? She is a rare combination of beauty, brains, intelligence, power and wealth. Ima hunt for her daughter to marry... Yeah! Call me thief and gold digger. If you like go dig coal for Nkalagu. Me na diamond i wan dig grin

Abeg no do dat kinf rough play oo! Me self done dey target her daughter...No step on my toes ooo!!!lol
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by omartins(m): 8:56am On Apr 08, 2013
Iamoilprince:

Abeg no do dat kinf rough play oo! Me self done dey target her daughter...No step on my toes ooo!!!lol
I'll have to wait for your own daugther. Pls put me in mind ooooo. lol.
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Iamoilprince(m): 10:23am On Apr 08, 2013
omartins: I'll have to wait for your own daugther. Pls put me in mind ooooo. lol.

Na unto "Chain reaction tinz".
See wat money can do. My unborn child has been booked alrdy for marriage...Wealth Is Good!!!
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
Madam we know ur secret and it is IBB and his late wife, Mariam. Were u not d tailor d Aso rock drunken god nd his goddess blessed wt an oil well?
I am happy for u but dnt come here nd talk as if other Nigerians are lazy and can't work.

1 Like

Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Horus(m): 11:10pm On Sep 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZlsQF3Q_2c

[size=15pt]Folorunsho Alakija Becomes World's Richest Black Woman[/size]

According to Ventures Africa, an African business magazine and news service, the richest black woman in the world is NO LONGER Oprah Wilfrey but Nigerian Billionaire oil tycoon Folorunsho Alakija. The report suggests that the 61 year-old owner/founder of Famfa oil is worth at least $3.3 billion, $500 million richer than media mogul Oprah Winfrey whose wealth Forbes magazine estimated at $2.7 billion in September. Infact, Alakija's claim in a $10.74 billion oil well is worth $6.44 billion. But the report subtracts 50% of the $6.44 billion (in a worse case scenario) since it is unknown whether or not the company has any long-term or short-term debt. In essence, If Famfa oil is debt free, Mrs Alakija will undisputedly be the world's richest black woman with $6.4 billion dollars. She is also reported to have a real estate portfolio running into hundreds of millions.It was reported earlier this year that she acquired a property at Hyde Park in London for $102 million. She also owns a Bombardier Global Express 6000 jet which she bought earlier this year for a reported $46 million.
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by tpia5: 11:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
thought she meant secrets to her beauty.
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Fkforyou(m): 12:15am On Sep 15, 2013
Wait I don't get it,wen was that picture taken?I thought u said she is 62,cos she definately looks younger....anyway am Happy for you lady,May God bless us too with wealth,but not the type dat would lead us astray.
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by ajasa4link: 4:40am On Sep 15, 2013
Hmmmm...money is good,see her having thought of buying her former school....... me sef I go buy my secondary school turn am to my private airport for my private jet...
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by rozayx5(m): 10:40am On Sep 15, 2013
ajasa4link: Hmmmm...money is good,see her having thought of buying her former school....... me sef I go buy my secondary school turn am to my private airport for my private jet ...

grin grin grin grin
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Luciandos(f): 6:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
20pounds: Madam we know ur secret and it is IBB and his late wife, Mariam. Were u not d tailor d Aso rock drunken god nd his goddess blessed wt an oil well?
I am happy for u but dnt come here nd talk as if other Nigerians are lazy and can't work.
Hello, get your facts right. She was a personal tailor to Ibb n his wife. She bought a land during Ibb regime and later discovered oil in it, the govt wanted the land back but she went to court and won.
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by mamagee3(f): 6:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
Lucky woman!!!

She looks generous, I think she should give me some money? tongue
Re: My Secrets ––nigeria's Richest Woman, Folorunsho Alakija by Fkforyou(m): 11:47pm On Sep 15, 2013
For your left mind....LOL....She is saving it for her great great great grand children if u don't know.

(1) (Reply)

Saw this On Facebook And Christians Are Liking It... It's Not Jesus / Shop For All Your Favourite Forever Living Products At Rock Bottom Price / Curvy And Light Skinned Instagram Babe Pictured In Extra Crazy Jeans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.