Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,367 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

I Will Act Till I Die –mama Awero - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Will Act Till I Die –mama Awero (895 Views)

Why I Have Refused To Remarry—veteran Actress, Iya Awero / Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan To Confer Special Honor On Pete Edochie & Iya Awero / Iya Awero To Celebrate Her 50 Years On Stage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Will Act Till I Die –mama Awero by lekanolas: 6:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
For 50 years and like the colossus that she is, veteran actress, Lanre Hassan Adesina, popularly known as Mama Awero, has made waves in the Nigerian world of entertainment. Hers is a very familiar face in both television soap operas and home movies. In this interview with YEMISI ADENIRAN, the 63 year old actress relives the memories of her younger days in acting, the challenges, her successful marriage and how she has managed to be relevant in the career up till now. Excerpts:

You started your career in acting at a time when acting was very unpopular. How did you manage to convince your parents to allow you pursue the career?

It was not easy at all. Apart from the fact that the career was not fancied by a lot of parents and people generally, we were not as bold as children of nowadays to voice out our intentions, dreams and all. Besides, those who were in the profession were not as prosperous as those of these days. So, there were a lot of issues. Actors and actresses in those days were seen and rated as never-do-wells.

So, acting was a no-go-career choice for anyone who wanted to enjoy his or her parents’ favour. However, it was my own passion and I was going for rehearsals secretly. One day, somebody hinted my guardian about it and in an uncommon rage, she came to the rehearsal center and dumped my belongings, warning me sternly never to come home again.

Why would I choose to be playing and wasting precious times around when my education was there to be faced squarely? She asked me over and over again. I pleaded to her, explained that I was not going to dump my education for acting and that both would not clash. Unfortunately, all pleas fell on deaf ears. She wouldn’t have any of them.

Did you pack out of the house as she requested?

I did not. I got some people to plead on my behalf and I told a lie that I was not going to go for rehearsals again. It was when I told her that that she took me back and I had my peace in the house. But like I said, I was going for rehearsals secretly after that episode.

How were you able to make real your career dream?

I owe that to God and Professor Wole Soyinka. And this was how. Just as we have talent hunt today, we also had it then. We were going to various places to practise one drama or the other. They would give you a script to read and act and if you were able to act it well or satisfactorily, you would be pencilled down for further competitions. The competitions usually took place at the University of Ife and people like Professor Soyinka were very much involved. It was just a stage play then.

The rule was, if you were handpicked and you performed well like I said, you would be given the opportunity of studying drama at the University of Ife It was a challenge and with Soyinka’s involvement, we were very serious about it.

All these while, I did not know that I was being noticed by the scouting group, but one day, I was informed that I had been pencilled down to go for this study at the University of Ife. When my guardian saw the letter, she asked me of its details and I told her.

She was impressed, especially with the involvement of somebody as highly rated as Professor Soyinka. She asked me to go that I had her blessing. That was how I went to study drama in Ife. I was very happy, especially because I did not have to make it a secret any longer.

How would you compare acting of those years with what is obtainable now?

They are poles apart. In those years, we were doing it for the passion we had for it; we were very committed and were not this attached to its monetary compensation. Generally, however, there has been more improvement in what we had then and now. Home videos have taken over from theatre and stage plays and I guess we are a lot better for it.

Is it true that the success of home video is responsible for the misfortune suffered by stage play?

Anyone can say so, but we must thank God for home video. If there was no home video, entertainment would have been dead in Nigeria. If home video was not there and people or lovers of theatre didn’t have an avenue to satisfy their need for entertainment, what would we have been talking about now?

Although the home video thing is not exactly what it should be, its presence has ensured that there is a form of entertainment for those who love the art. Home video is a bail out for entertainment lovers and it has really boosted the image of Nigeria in the outer world.

You are a role model in the industry. How did you manage to scale through scandals?

Scandals are not compulsory features of anybody. You don’t get scandalised if you have not given room for it. I don’t walk in the way of scandals, which explains why I have none to my person. And as for being a role model to many in the industry, I owe that to God. I was trained to be the best in whatever I do and that is what I am committed to. I only allowed the ‘what is worth doing at all is worth doing well’ saying to guide me.

What has this cost you over time?

Hard work. That is it. You can’t rest on your oars when a lot of people are looking up to you. I have had to put in more efforts on those things that appear well to the people, so I don’t let them down. And these you know go beyond just the acting work; it is about one’s person and all. Being a role model extends to one’s home, husband and children, friends and relatives. So, it is all encompassing.

What are the effects of your career on your home?

It’s just about more work, that’s all. I am as passionate with my career as I am with my home. And to keep both requires wisdom and a high level of commitment.

Was your husband an actor? No, he was not.

How was he able to cope with your career which takes you all over the place all of the time?

At the initial stage, he raised some dust but he cooled down after a while. This is because he met me as an actress before we got married; but you see, he thought I was going to quit acting after we married. So, when I still continued, he complained but like I said, he let me be when he saw that it was my passion.

Why didn’t you marry an actor like you?

Actors, for one reason or the other, especially in those days were most times polygamous. And why was this so? They had to be because they needed them to play all kinds of roles and once they married them all, it reduced their financial stress.

I did not want to end up in polygamy becausen I grew up in a polygamous home; and I tell you, the experience was not palatable. That was why I chose to marry someone outside my profession and I had no regret at all. The only pain I have is that he is no longer alive to enjoy more and see more of the success I have made of acting and of his children’s achievements.

What are some of your experiences in the polygamous home?

I cannot tell you all right now but I must tell you that it was the main reason I did not live with my parents. I lived with a guardian which you know is never the desire of any child. I did not enjoy my parents at all. Honestly, I will never advise anyone to keep a polygamous home, the disadvantages are more than its advantages no matter the angle from where we look at it.

Do you have any day you can never forget in life?

Yes, I do. In those days, I always went everywhere with my children, so, my husband wasn’t burdened by the responsibility. But one day, our vehicle broke down at Zungeru and we had to sleep on the road. I can never forget that day.

Other days that will linger on forever in my memory were the days I lost two of my children. One died while I was on the stage acting, the second one died on the day Baba Mero died. We both went for his burial. We were there a day before his burial. We slept and while I woke up, he did not wake up.

It was the hottest blow of my life. I almost pulled out of the profession.

How did your husband take it?

How else? He was very sad but he had to pull himself together as a man because he saw how I was going about it. He knew I love my job and that was what I was doing at the time. He also knew how much I value my children; they are my joy, my essence of living. But we thank God for everything; He alone knows why anything happens. Like I have also said, the day my husband died is another that I cannot forget.

When was this?

It was twelve years ago but I thank God we are able to cope till now.

Why did you not re-marry?

Why should I? What would I have said I was looking for? I had all my five kids for him. I was not barren, not looking for a child. My children are my husbands and I thank God for them all.

How would you evaluate your golden jubilee on stage?

I would want to than God who has supported me through thick and thin. I want to appreciate Him for the wisdom, the strength and the enablement He has given me to be part of the good history of the Nigerian entertainment world. I would want to appreciate my colleagues, both young and old, those up there and the ones coming up.

I would like to appreciate all my fans home and abroad for their love and to advise young actors and actresses to be more focused on making a good impact on their world in the best way that they know.

When will you finally retire?

I will act until I die.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/i-will-act-till-i-die-mama-awero/

(1) (Reply)

12 Nigerian Celebs Who Should Have Their Own Reality Show / SEE Gobe Oh! Kelly Hansome Continues The Beef With MI, Disses Him On Twitter / Check Out The Sexiest Photo Of Yvonne Nelson Yet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.