Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,341 members, 7,822,614 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW (8238 Views)

Nigeria Attains 5,074MW Electricity Generation For The First Time / Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist / Power Generation Drops By 1,000MW Due To Gas Pipeline Vandalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by MajorJ(m): 2:23am On Apr 10, 2013
Power generation drops by 1,074MW

APRIL 10, 2013 BY DAYO OKETOLA

Power generation drops by 1,074MW
The poor supply of electricity being witnessed across the country currently is as a result of a significant drop in power generation from a peak of 4,517 megawatts attained on December 21, 2012 to 3,443MW on Tuesday.

The 1,074MW drop is, however, a slight improvement over the 2,987.6MW peak generation recorded on April 6, 2013, when a whopping 1,529.4MW was lost.

The drop in power generation, our correspondent gathered from the Ministry of Power, was as a result of low gas supply to thermal power plants.

The power generation report provided by the Ministry of Power revealed that peak generation as of Saturday was 2,987.6 MW, while the peak demand forecast was 10,200MW. Energy generation was put at 68,953.24 megawatts hours, while the actual energy sent out was 67,360.24MWH.

This is considered by power industry analysts as a huge break from the highest peak generation of 4,517 MW on December 21, 2012 and 98,580MWH energy on December 19, 2012, one of the highest ever sent out in the country.

The Executive Operations Summary issued by the General Manager, National Control Centre, Osogbo, Mr. A. Alade, on December 4, 2012, revealed that the previous energy peak was 96,768.53MWH recorded on August 31, 2012.

When contacted, the Assistant Director, Press, Power Ministry, Mrs. Pat Deworitshe, confirmed that power generation had dropped and ascribed the development to “general system collapse.”

“There is a general system collapse. I just spoke with the MD, Power Generation Station, Egbin, and he said there is a general system collapse. However, we are trying our best to fix it so that everybody can enjoy power supply,” she said.

The PUNCH had on February 16, 2013 reported that the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, condemned the frequent rate of system failures in the power sector.

Nebo, who spoke at the opening of a retreat organised by the Presidential Task Force on Power in Abuja, described the development as embarrassing and warned system owners and managers to sit up because such would no longer be tolerated.

The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Power, Mr. Patrick Ikhariale, alleged that apart from Egbin Power Plc, all the power generating companies in the country were functioning at less than 40 per cent capacity.

The minister also warned that distribution companies that sabotaged their revenue targets would be sanctioned in accordance with the law.

He said, “I have observed with grave concern the increasing frequency of system collapse of our grid and hereby encourage the operatives of this segment in the TCN to be extra diligent and vigilant.

“I shall not entertain frivolous reasons for continued system collapses. Owners of this process must sit up or be prepared to ship out. Another area of serious concern, which needed to be addressed, is the poor track record of project delivery across the value chain, and especially in the transmission segment, which will remain in government’s hands.

“Without a major shift towards improved efficiency, it could frustrate the development of a sustainable private sector-driven power market in Nigeria, and it is a veritable option in order to align to internationally acceptable business standards, thus, I will insist on this shift to happen soon.”

Nebo added, “As we progress into the threshold of handing over the sold assets to the successful bidders, the distribution companies must sit up during this transition period. Any of the officers in the distribution companies found to be sabotaging the revenue collection targets of the market will be made to face the full wrought of the law.

“This is because government will not tolerate complacency and ineptitude of these companies building up additional burdens of liabilities through the misconduct of these companies.”

Source:http://www.punchng.com/news/power-generation-drops-by-1074mw/

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Zakkyoz: 3:32am On Apr 10, 2013
Yes, what a transformation! Jonathan is working.

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by MajorJ(m): 4:17am On Apr 10, 2013
Zakkyoz: Yes, what a transformation! Jonathan is working.

Lol fresh air in multiple folds grin grin grin
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by magaliyu(f): 4:26am On Apr 10, 2013
This is just the begining,system failure is just temporary either by negligence or sabotage,but the greatest fear is oil,we cannot generate without gas and so far as our boys will temper with the foreign facilities by way of getting ransom we are in trouble because the oil companies will alway shutdown there facility rendering us in total darkness at the expence of few miscreants,thereby dealing with us indirectly,wake up my fellow country men the earlier we invest in renewable energy the better for our future,we have sunk $18bln.and counting but nothing to write home about even if we will sink our dear $48bln.foreign reserve into power believe me we cannot generate more than 10,000MW,
Have i spoken well...?

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 10, 2013
magaliyu: This is just the begining,system failure is just temporary either by negligence or sabotage,but the greatest fear is oil,we cannot generate without gas and so far as our boys will temper with the foreign facilities by way of getting ransom we are in trouble because the oil companies will alway shutdown there facility rendering us in total darkness at the expence of few miscreants,thereby dealing with us indirectly,wake up my fellow country men the earlier we invest in renewable energy the better for our future,we have sunk N18bln.and counting but nothing to write home about even if we will sink our dear N48bln.foreign reserve into power believe me we cannot generate more than 10,000MW,
Have i spoken well...?

Spot on!
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Sibrah: 4:53am On Apr 10, 2013
Look fellow Nigerians, the reason it is like that is cos it goes with my 2015 ambition. Boy must grab some gas and sell off before they will agree to contribute into my Aspiration '15 purse. I had to scratch their back at the expense of the citizens' if i want them to scratch mine come 2015 not to even talk of me provoking them into stabbing me at the back.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by boladez(m): 5:57am On Apr 10, 2013
Enough of rhetoric from this clueless, sleeping and snoring government. The Minister sounds helpless. It beats my imagination that King Retardeen will remove Barth Nnaji who has been the only Minister in this Clueless government who has the semblance of performance and capacity to deliver. Anyway an intelligent guy cannot mix with Pea brains

The good side is that fuel is available but the cost is killing.

Why is it so impossible for these lazy thoughtless pricks in government to manage anything?

If we had good legislators they would impeach anybody who cannot deliver but our NASS members are all hustlers. Come 2015 we must vote for competence o, otherwise the future of our children will be impacted.

13 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Nobody: 6:07am On Apr 10, 2013
Gej is working....

Fresh mess is smelling cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Nobody: 6:10am On Apr 10, 2013
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by maasoap(m): 6:56am On Apr 10, 2013
Well, OBJ spent 8 years in power but nothing to show for the huge amount "spent" on power generation. Jona has spent 4 years so far, we're still revolving around the same 4000-5000MW. But we're still waiting for the a§§ lickers to come and tell us how the power decline was caused by shortage of gas. Forgeting that every failure and incompetence has reason, even OBJ had reason for failing.

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by takedat(m): 7:03am On Apr 10, 2013
After all the noise by #team fresh air online cyber-troopers, propaganda puff, transformation myth and lies on Amanpour's program, power generation still remains a pipe-dream and a pie in the sky. Guess Evil Spirits are responsible for the "general system collapse." Msheew!

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by gunuvi(m): 7:26am On Apr 10, 2013
God punish all those ho had their hands in Barth Nnaji removal.

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 10, 2013
Now that power generation dropped due to temporary systemic collapse, the reasons were clearly identified. Hopefully, when those things are sorted out and power generation peaks agains, mischief makers will not attribute improvement in power supply to RISING WATER LEVEL at the dams.

Just to add that, power supply here has been awful in the last few days. It appears the 4days blackout announced by PHCN due to maintenance work on certain gas supply lines to some power plants affected more states than anticipated.
https://www.nairaland.com/1246344/lagos-ogun-ondo-experience-power-cut

Meanwhile, power was restored last night and has been on till this morning.

Let me state categorically that there's no need for HATERS to have a party over a temporary system failure that was announced by PHCN and expected
https://www.nairaland.com/1246344/lagos-ogun-ondo-experience-power-cut

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Gbawe2: 8:36am On Apr 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Now that power generation dropped due to temporary systemic collapse, the reasons were clearly identified. Hopefully, when those things are sorted out and power generation peaks agains, mischief makers will not attribute improvement in power supply to RISING WATER LEVEL at the dams.

You are such a shameless reprobate. When your "messiah", to mockery from Amanpour, went on CNN to claim his "achievement" regarding "increase in generation everywhere" did you and other sycophants not clap? If he was quick to claim seasonal and perennial highs as his "achievement" then let him also accept he is responsible for this fall in generation. Simple logic yet I accept such may be above your head total congested with sycophancy.

14 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Okijajuju1(m): 8:46am On Apr 10, 2013
I blame APC and Boko Haram... angry

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by AMvanquish: 8:49am On Apr 10, 2013
Fresh Air!! After reading Drop in Gas supply! I did not bother to complete reading the story.. Na 2day!! Same issues. Story, story,story...
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by ebamma(m): 8:51am On Apr 10, 2013
Okija_juju: I blame APC and Boko Haram... angry
I blame nairaland for not checking your mental status before accepting your registration

11 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by omenka(m): 8:52am On Apr 10, 2013
"I would love that you ask any ordinary Nigerian on the streets of lagos or Abuja. That is one area that Nigerians are quite pleased with the government...", says the Scumbag to Amanpour when asked about the electricity situation in the country. What a Liar!

Nigerians would be pleased to send you back to your village to preside over community meetings come 2015.

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Akshow: 8:52am On Apr 10, 2013
i have promise not to insult gej again. so ima jus look on and hope for the best against all odds
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Dranatomy: 8:53am On Apr 10, 2013
"NO DEMON SHALL INTERFERE IN THE DISCHARGE OF MY DUTY"...Minister of Power
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by omenka(m): 8:54am On Apr 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Now that power generation dropped due to temporary systemic collapse, the reasons were clearly identified. Hopefully, when those things are sorted out and power generation peaks agains, mischief makers will not attribute improvement in power supply to RISING WATER LEVEL at the dams.

You are unbelievably disgusting!

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by 360command: 8:57am On Apr 10, 2013
magaliyu: This is just the begining,system failure is just temporary either by negligence or sabotage,but the greatest fear is oil,we cannot generate without gas and so far as our boys will temper with the foreign facilities by way of getting ransom we are in trouble because the oil companies will alway shutdown there facility rendering us in total darkness at the expence of few miscreants,thereby dealing with us indirectly,wake up my fellow country men the earlier we invest in renewable energy the better for our future,we have sunk N18bln.and counting but nothing to write home about even if we will sink our dear N48bln.foreign reserve into power believe me we cannot generate more than 10,000MW,
Have i spoken well...?
. I will contact al jazeera so as you can be called upon for the programe to talk on the cost on power generation in nigeria ' al jazeera - counting the cost' .
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by wellmax(m): 8:57am On Apr 10, 2013
GEJ is working.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Okijajuju1(m): 8:57am On Apr 10, 2013
ebamma: I blame nairaland for not checking your mental status before accepting your registration

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by ochukoccna: 9:00am On Apr 10, 2013
omenka:

You are unbelievably disgusting!
Ha ha ha
If only Seun could create a super user delete button
You must wonder if this isn't creeek Joe himself as other NL lapdogs like billyonaire have slowed down on the propaganda,lies and misinformation they churn out while Sincere has gone into overdrive

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by idriis: 9:06am On Apr 10, 2013
pDude: Gej is working....

Fresh mess is smelling cheesy
After wacking #1billion cassava beans why e no blow fresh-smelly mess

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by ckkris: 9:06am On Apr 10, 2013
Okija_juju: I blame APC and Boko Haram... angry
Tinubu, Buharam, and their agents of darkness can sabotage anything, in order to ensure that Nigeria doesn't develop to a point where their own followers begin to earn a living for themselves, and be able to ask them intelligent qqqqqqquestions

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by eggheaders(m): 9:07am On Apr 10, 2013
where are the fuccktard gej a55 suckers.that keep painting a 24 hours light scenario in Nigeria.seems all this sick goons live on Mars portion of Nigeria.the light situation has been so bad for a couple of months now.and this nitwits keep insulting our intelligence with there gaddem lies.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by Goddex: 9:09am On Apr 10, 2013
Where is the Powerplant Tinubu claimed to be building for Lagos state while he was governor?

Tinubu during his tenure promised Lagosians stable power supply soon. Nigerians forget so soon.

Besides, I agree with Ckkris, those ACN crooks can infilterate and sabotage Egbin Power station in Lagos just to paint Fed govt in bad light.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by rozayx5(m): 9:10am On Apr 10, 2013
When the President's Son has such a big pot belly what do you expect of the Nation lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

all the megawatts are in that belly, so forget about Electricity till he farts grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by idriis: 9:11am On Apr 10, 2013
wellmax: GEJ is working.
for where hin dey work?
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW by eggheaders(m): 9:12am On Apr 10, 2013
ckkris: Tinubu, Buharam, and their agents of darkness can sabotage anything, in order to ensure that Nigeria doesn't develop to a point where their own followers begin to question them.

lapdog number 42.go tell your shyte sabotage story to brain dead toddlers.only demented brain like yours did buhari and tinubu just become nepa staff or minister of power.nothing y'all scoundrels won't say to save face for your re.tarded boss.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Need To See What Gov Rochas Okorocha Said About Biafra Yesterday(must See) / External Reserves Rise By $1bn In Two Weeks / Anambra: 729 Ballot Boxes, 243 Voting Cubicles, Destroyed In INEC Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.