Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,980 members, 7,956,662 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:32 PM

Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. (2841 Views)

Prevalent Rules Of The "Subject/verb" Concord / BREAKING NEWS: Judge Rules In Favour Of Jambites Against Jamb And Unilag / Literature-in-english Online Tutorial For UTME 2014/2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emusan(m): 9:08am On Apr 10, 2013
Note:- Present(Pr), Past(Pa), Progressive(G), simple(S), Future(F), Tense(T), and Perfect(Pf).
E.g Future Perfect Progressive is written FPfG.

Verbs tenses can be divided into three: Present, Past & Future. Each one can also sub-divided into four.

Present: SPrT, PrGT, PrPfT, and PrPfG.

Past: SPaT, PaGT, PaPfT, and PaPfG

Future: SFT, FGT, FPfT, and FPfG.

1. How do I make SPrT?
If the subject is I, You, We or They-use simple form of verbs (simple form of verbs is just the present tense of verb) i.e I go to bed at 10:00, They go to bed at 10:00.
If the subject is She, He or It-add 's' or 'es' to the verb i.e He goes to bed at 10:00, she usually walks to the store.

2. How do I make PrGT?
If the subject is I-use Am. He, She, It-use Is. We, They, You-use Are. +verb-ing. E.g we are studing grammar, Mary is learning to drive.

3. How do I make PrPfT?
If the subject is We, I, They, You-use 'Have'. He, She, It-use 'Has'
Has/Have + verb past participle i.e Lionel Mercy has won many football trophies, I have often wondered why Faith is always late.

4. How do I make PrPfG?
Has/Have + Been+ verb-ing i.e I've been cleaning my house since 8:00 this moring, John has been thinking about getting a new job.

5. How do I make SPaT?
Verb+ed or irregular past form(if the verb is irregular) i.e Ralph called his mother to wich her happy birthday, I studied french in college, irregular verb i.e Yesterday I cut my finger while I was opening a can of malt.

6. How do I make PaGT?
If the subject is I, It, He, She-use Was/ You, We, They-use Were.
Was/Were +verb-ing i.e were you sleeping when I called? I was studing all night for that history test.

7. How do I make PaPfT?
Had+verb past participle i.e When I got home, Seun had finished his homework, Beety loved Alabar soup because she had grown up there.

8. How do I make PaPfG?
Had+been+verb-ing i.e When Tope finally arrived, Tolu had been waiting for 20 minutes, I was exhausted, I had been walking for the past 2hours.

9. How do I make SFT?
Can be made two ways: a) with will, b) with be going to.
With will:- will+simple form of verb i.e John will be here in a second or two.
With be going to:- if the subject is I-use 'Am', He, she-use 'is', they, you, we-use'Are' i.e John is going to be here in a secong or two, Seun is going to do his homework after he eats dinner.

10. How do I make FGT?
Will/be going to+be+verb-ing i.e Ricky will be working at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon, I leave for Lagos on Sunday, and on Monday I'm going to be body surfing at cyprus.

11. How do I make FPfT?
Will have + verb past participle i.e When we get to the airport, Sunday's plane will have alreay arrived, I will have eaten dinner before I go to bed.

12. How do I make FPfG?
Will have+been+verb-ing i.e How long will Joy have been workin in the office when she retires?, I hope that wmen I get home tonight, my son will have been doing
his homework.
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Valentinooo: 5:39am On Apr 11, 2013
thanks for that. but can u pls explain the use of the verb DO as regard to asking question. e.g what do/did u eat this morning? I want to know when to use do/did/does when it comes to asking question
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emusan(m): 10:52am On Apr 11, 2013
Valentinooo: thanks for that. but can u pls explain the use of the verb DO as regard to asking question. e.g what do/did u eat this morning? I want to know when to use do/did/does when it comes to asking question

Do/Does they are simple present tense and simple present tense means something is true in the past, true in the present, and will be true in the future. Do is used with the subject I, You, They, We i.e I do go to school everyday, They do always eat rice on friday in these examples you will realise that both statement will be true on each cases, though using 'Do' here is optional(you can remove the 'do' and your statement will still look the same).

Does in the other hand is also a simple present tense but is being used with the subject She, He, It which is to add 'es' to Do, i.e Does your dog bite? Does sun rises from west and sets in east?

Why DID is just a simple past tense. Simple Past tense means something happened overtime i.e I did my homework 5mins ago.
Did/Do you eat this moring? In this case you want to know maybe the action is yet to be performed or the action is already performed so use 'Did'. Accurately, you can use present perfect progressive i.e Have you eaten this moring?
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Valentinooo: 11:20pm On Apr 11, 2013
Emusan:

Do/Does they are simple present tense and simple present tense means something is true in the past, true in the present, and will be true in the future. Do is used with the subject I, You, They, We i.e I do go to school everyday, They do always eat rice on friday in these examples you will realise that both statement will be true on each cases, though using 'Do' here is optional(you can remove the 'do' and your statement will still look the same).

Does in the other hand is also a simple present tense but is being used with the subject She, He, It which is to add 'es' to Do, i.e Does your dog bite? Does sun rises from west and sets in east?

Why DID is just a simple past tense. Simple Past tense means something happened overtime i.e I did my homework 5mins ago.
Did/Do you eat this moring? In this case you want to know maybe the action is yet to be performed or the action is already performed so use 'Did'. Accurately, you can use present perfect progressive i.e Have you eaten this moring?

Thanks for ur response, i appreciate it. One more thing, which one am i suppose to use here? Do/did you need glasses?
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emusan(m): 11:47pm On Apr 11, 2013
Valentinooo:

Thanks for ur response, i appreciate it. One more thing, which one am i suppose to use here? Do/did you need glasses?

Like I said before you use these two words ask yourself; is the action have been performed or yet to be perform?

If the action have been performed use 'Did' then if the action is yet to be perform use 'Do'.
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 12, 2013
Emusan:

You need to separate the everyday:I do go to school every day.
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emusan(m): 6:10pm On Apr 12, 2013
ferdimako:

You need to separate the everyday:I do go to school every day.

Thanks! It's an omission of a space.
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emmyk(m): 8:49pm On Apr 12, 2013
Hey bro. This is slightly different...What's the rule for verb usage in past tense questions?. Watch my two examples.
1. Did you SEE her?.
2. You SAW her?.
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emusan(m): 7:44am On Apr 13, 2013
Emmyk: Hey bro. This is slightly different...What's the rule for verb usage in past tense questions?. Watch my two examples.
1. Did you SEE her?.
2. You SAW her?.

In your examples number one is the most corrected one because it contains both auxilary verb 'Did' and the main verb 'see', and also fall in the group of simple past tense 'question tag' whereas the other one is like a final statement or confirmation statement not a question tag. (That is you are very sure the action was carried out).

So the rule is this:
(question word)+did+subject+simple form of verb.

Question word may be included or not included.
E.g when did you see her last?
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by pseudonomer: 8:34am On Apr 13, 2013
What about "Do you saw her?" Is it correct?
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Valentinooo: 10:44pm On Apr 13, 2013
Thanks man

1 Like

Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emusan(m): 11:49am On Apr 14, 2013
pseudonomer: What about "Do you saw her?" Is it correct?

Absolutely wrong! You need to replace 'saw' with simple form of verb 'see'.
Re: Rules Of Using Verb Tenses In English Language. by Emmyk(m): 11:01am On Apr 18, 2013
Emusan:

In your examples number one is the most corrected one because it contains both auxilary verb 'Did' and the main verb 'see', and also fall in the group of simple past tense 'question tag' whereas the other one is like a final statement or confirmation statement not a question tag. (That is you are very sure the action was carried out).

So the rule is this:
(question word)+did+subject+simple form of verb.

Question word may be included or not included.
E.g when did you see her last?
thanks bro.

(1) (Reply)

Expensive Secondary Schools In Lagos, Nigeria. Over (N4,480, 000.00) Per Year / See How UNN Students Suffer To Read And Pass Their Examinations / How To Get Your Lost WAEC Certificate (Attestation Certificate) In Simple Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.