Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 (14234 Views)

Comparing the Cost Of IVF / Lily Ivf Price Offer/truth About Success Rates Of Ivf Clinics / Cost Of IVF In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 10, 2013

Robert Edwards is known as "the father of IVF" and he certainly has a big family.

Louise Brown, born in 1978, was the first test-tube baby.

Since then, more than five million children have been born through IVF.

In vitro fertilisation has completely changed the prospects for couples unable to have children.

Fertilising an egg with sperm outside the body and implanting the resulting embryo means infertility is no longer a certain barrier to starting a family.

The technique sparked a huge ethical debate in 1978 and attracted media attention around the world.

Born in Yorkshire in 1925 into a working-class family, Prof Edwards served in the British army during World War II before returning home to study first agricultural sciences and then animal genetics.

Building on earlier research, which showed that egg cells from rabbits could be fertilised in test tubes when sperm was added, Edwards developed the same technique for humans.

In a laboratory at Cambridge in 1968, he first saw life created outside the womb in the form of a human blastocyst, an embryo that has developed for five to six days after fertilisation.

"I'll never forget the day I looked down the microscope and saw something funny in the cultures," Edwards once recalled.

"I looked down the microscope and what I saw was a human blastocyst gazing up at me. I thought, 'We've done it'."

"Bob Edwards is one of our greatest scientists," said Mike Macnamee, chief executive of Bourn Hall, the IVF clinic founded by Prof Edwards with his fellow IVF pioneer Patrick Steptoe, a gynaecological surgeon.

Prof Martin Johnson, one of his first students, said: "Bob Edwards was a remarkable man who changed the lives of so many people.
BBC

11 Likes

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by dominique(f): 9:47am On Apr 11, 2013
He wil continue to live through his works for many years to come. RIP to the icon.

3 Likes

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by KingPradas(m): 11:46am On Apr 11, 2013
who cares

1 Like

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by johnwizey: 11:46am On Apr 11, 2013
RIP to Mr IVF
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Nobody: 11:48am On Apr 11, 2013
RIP
A great man to science.
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by simongonner: 11:48am On Apr 11, 2013
KingPradas: who cares
AKUYA

1 Like

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by simongonner: 11:49am On Apr 11, 2013
R.I.P
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by alfredo4u(m): 11:51am On Apr 11, 2013
Where can death b found?
He death has done much harm dan gud. Incase u com across him email me on amnestyrejectedbybh@govtneedsouramnesty.com
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by bornosheikh: 11:52am On Apr 11, 2013
RIP Prof - you helped God with his mission.

- In Naija, I hear say Iyanya perform same function as IVF creator - giving life where there was none before.
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Osuman(m): 11:53am On Apr 11, 2013
hoping to invert something too one day, rest in peace.
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 11, 2013
He made my family smile when we'd lost all reason to. R.I.P Sir!

4 Likes

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Zikdik(m): 11:54am On Apr 11, 2013
I do.He died a fulfilled man.I'm sure u would have cared if d post were 2 be abt Tonto Dike's new brand of toothpaste.

6 Likes

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by spicyp(f): 11:56am On Apr 11, 2013
If not for Mr Edward my spiritual father would have been childless.As a nurse i wish to work in an IVF clinic someday.RIP Sir
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by koreye: 11:58am On Apr 11, 2013
RIP
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by PhysicsQED(m): 11:59am On Apr 11, 2013
RIP
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 11, 2013
simon gonner: AKUYA
thank you...very good .some people have to be disciplined.
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Lagosianswag: 12:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
[size=18pt]Where Can One Get A Surrogate In Nigeria.
I Think IVF Is My Best Bet In Producing An Offspring Cos I Dislike Sex With A Passion. sad

P.S: I'm Very Much Potent. But I Just Don't Like Sexual Intercourse For Personal Reasons.
[/size]
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by princemolak(m): 12:12pm On Apr 11, 2013
RIP,WHAT A great acheivment
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Lilimax(f): 12:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
You are just as dumb as your comment.
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by swtcharissa(f): 12:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
may God not allow ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ look for a child,cos then both ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ n ur family plus inlaws will care by force,stupid obolo
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Tobiustobius: 12:19pm On Apr 11, 2013

You are a nincompoop.
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by mayordy(m): 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2013
Lagosianswag: [size=18pt]Where Can One Get A Surrogate In Nigeria.
I Think IVF Is My Best Bet In Producing An Offspring Cos I Dislike Sex With A Passion. sad

P.S: I'm Very Much Potent. But I Just Don't Like Sexual Intercourse For Personal Reasons.
[/size]
k

2 Likes

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by dulphines: 12:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
Osuman: hoping to invert something too one day, rest in peace.

You want to INVERT something too? I fear you oh! For me, i wish to INVENT something someday! grin
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by adoniza(m): 12:46pm On Apr 11, 2013
R.I.P GREAT MAN!
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Elueme: 12:46pm On Apr 11, 2013

[/size]
You can inbox me for a chat. My clinic can help you work on something
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Elueme: 12:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
These where great men who took the world a step higher than God made it. R.I.P Edward, u will for sure be immortal in as much as IVF remains yet a technology of tomorrow since it's obvious that infertility can only get worse considering the horrible lifestyle of many.
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by fonssy(f): 1:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
A man who has put a smile on the faces of so many people in the world. You will always be remembered. Your name has been written on the sands of time.R.I.P IVF father.

2 Likes

Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by fonssy(f): 1:02pm On Apr 11, 2013

[/size]
Gay
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by zolajpower: 1:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
akuya means goat
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by lifestyle1(m): 1:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
fonssy: Gay

cheesy
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by zolajpower: 1:31pm On Apr 11, 2013
o boy @that called you akuya. wetin you do am now? akuya na goat na
Re: Robert Edwards Creator Of IVF Dies At 87 by Everest9(m): 2:03pm On Apr 11, 2013
too bad r.i.p

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu Gives An Update On COVID-19 In Lagos / Reduce Belly Fat- Loose Weight / FG Approves COVID Vaccine Booster Shots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.