Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Flying With Iberia Airline - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flying With Iberia Airline (14569 Views)

How Good Is Iberia Airline. / Your Experience On Iberia Airline / Contact Details Of Iberia Airlines In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flying With Iberia Airline by asiwaju: 8:10am On Apr 07, 2008
Good Morning,

i am planning to fly with the Iberia airline to Nigeria,did anybody has an experience with them?are they ok?please post your experience with them.

Thanks a lot in advance.(flying from Vienna,Austria)
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by funkybaby(f): 1:25pm On Apr 07, 2008
Flew with them just once - 2005. Lagos to London and back.

Interesting experience though. Two nigerian guys were arrested on the suspicion of carrying drugs as we landed at madrid.

The annoying thing was the close to 6hours stop over before the connecting flight to london. The same annoying stop over on the flight back to lagos.

On getting back to Nigeria, had problems getting my luggage from the airline. Took me over one week - shuttling their office at MMA before i could get my bags. Everything was intact though.

That was the first and only time i flew with them. Good thing about them is that their tickets are cheaper in comparism with other airlines.

I would give them say 5 or 6 points on a scale of 10.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by manuch(m): 2:21pm On Apr 07, 2008
I flew with them once in 2005. Los-Lon-Los . The waiting time for the connceting flight is too long wen you are flying from lagos to madrid you get to madrid abt 4am in the morning. then you find out your connecting flight is like three or four hours later or even longer . i rate them 6 out of ten.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by asiwaju: 10:56am On Apr 13, 2008
Thanks very much guys,for the information,God Bless.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by SamMilla1(m): 11:49am On Apr 13, 2008
The good thing about them is that they are relatively cheaper than all other major European Airlines,
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by GUNNER(f): 3:48pm On Apr 13, 2008
I flew with Iberia to Nigeria - March 2008 (mun-mad-los)

The plane used from munich to madrid was ok and the flight was comfortable , arrived on time too

No meal was served instead u had to buy food and drinks because its a short haul flight (2hours)

The layover time is a bit too long in my own opinion - 5 hours

The plane used for the madrid to lagos stretch isnt meant for such long trips, no inflight entertainment and the leg space is nothing to write home
about, infact most of the men complained because the seats were too cramped

I had heard prior to this time about Iberia luggage handling horror stories but i got all my baggage safely and intact on both legs of my journey

As someone mentioned earlier the price is quite affordable and cheap

All in all i would rate them as a 3 star airline because there is definitely room for improvement!
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by funkybaby(f): 7:16pm On Apr 13, 2008
@GUNNER

Two hours flight and they did not serve any light refreshments-instead passengers had to buy Them no try at all oh.

When here in Naija, a fourty-five minutes flight, you still get served light refreshments.

Agreed, there is still room for improvement in their services but looking at my experience with them in 2005 and your experience in 2008, i feel the expected improvements are taking way too long to materialize!
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by GUNNER(f): 9:18pm On Apr 13, 2008
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/airline/iberia/1000142/

@ Funkybaby u are right, they are more of a budget airline!
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by howfar2: 11:56pm On Apr 13, 2008
@funkybaby

That not true with all the airlines in najia because i can remember that in one of my trips at home in 06, i took the same ADC plane that crashed from sokoto to lagos a two hours flight and we were not given a cup of water, talkless of refreshments.

@poster

I think is is better to get a direct and more reliable airline and not to go for a cheap one that could cost u your time and luggage at the long run.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Dreloaded(f): 12:02am On Apr 14, 2008
Havent heard anything good about this airline other than it being cheap

Heard the usual horror stories of lost luggages and such and cramped airplanes

How the hell do you NOT serve refreshments for a flight with the excuse of it being 2 hrs?

Leaving from JFK to Buffalo (same state) which is exactly a 47 min flight and I still get drinks and snacks

That's just ridiculous.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by funkybaby(f): 12:19am On Apr 14, 2008
@ how far

I am suprised you say you were not served anything on the ADC flight. Maybe, it was ADC that had issues.

Practically all the Naija airlines i have flown with served light refreshments - Arik, Belview, Virgin, Chachangi including the now defunct Kabo Air, EAS and Nicon Airways. I still remember being served 'SunTop' on Nigeria Airways when i was much younger despite all the bad press and bad management they had then.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by howfar2: 12:32am On Apr 14, 2008
@funkybaby

well i was not surprised because even here in the so called advanced country, if u fly in some airlines from country to the other, they don't serve you any thing, instead you will have to buy it. i hope the airlines are better now in najia because i always pray i avoid all those flying molues whenever am in town.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Vicjustice: 12:41am On Apr 14, 2008
funkybaby:

@ how far

I am suprised you say you were not served anything on the ADC flight. Maybe, it was ADC that had issues.

Practically all the Naija airlines i have flown with served light refreshments - Arik, Belview, Virgin, Chachangi including the now defunct Kabo Air, EAS and Nicon Airways. I still remember being served 'SunTop' on Nigeria Airways when i was much younger despite all the bad press and bad management they had then.
  shocked Hmmm, you get heart o! You've taken much risks, someone who has taken such risks would definitely not entertain any fear fighting in Iraq.
   I'm too uncomfortable to dare flying with Nigerian operated airlines.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by manoy(m): 1:58am On Apr 14, 2008
@funkybaby

Low cost airlines dont serve anything,U have to buy.This link (://www.thebigproject.co.uk/budget/) contains the name of the no frills airline.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by funkybaby(f): 7:00am On Apr 14, 2008
@how far

Yeah, the days of flying molues are over-i guess. Except Chachangi Airline. Crap planes. Although the MD or whoever was on air very late last year talking about their 'plans' of acquiring new aircrafts and their 'intention' of dumping the old ones.

@vicjustice

Lol. grin grin Wetin man go do but to thank God for journey mercies. wink

I frequent northern naija often and at one time those highlighted airlines were the only ones i could take. For example, Kabo Air was in full control of the Kano-Lagos route.

The only time i had a terrible experience was on a Nicon Airways flight from Lagos to Abuja last year-that day na God. Never been so freaking scared in my life. Barely two weeks later, the airline was banned from flying(till now) as a result of its shitty and molue planes.

@Manoy
Alright. Noted.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by howfar2: 9:07am On Apr 14, 2008
@funkybaby

Good to hear that, and talking about chanchangi, i can never forget the day i boarded the plane coupled with the fact that i had to with my sister, so as to get to lagos on time, but i thank God and that was the last time i went for flying molues.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by akowonjo: 9:39am On Apr 14, 2008
Personally, I do not think it makes sense waiting for 6 whole hours of your life just to take a connectiong flight to London when a Lagos-London flight lasts the same 6 hrs. I would vote for a direct flight any day. You spend a little more but you will be sure you won't starve and you'll get your luggage on arrival. No stories of bags being left in Madrid or whereva.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by ogbotobo(m): 9:45am On Apr 14, 2008
It looks like OKADA is rolling out its fleet of Dreamliners, soon to be gracing the international skies again. Not too sure about their inflight services, though.

Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by swoosh(m): 12:17pm On Apr 14, 2008
I have flown  them 4 times in the last 2 months, flew with them last weekend from Madrid.

No in flight entertainment for Iberia flights less than 7 hours- Lagos from Madrid is 5 hours so don't expect any entertainment - , you cud be lucky to be on a flight with some really sexy spanish chicks (hostesses) though- that is sure entertaining cheesy

They'd serve you food once but don't be 2 comfortable asking for extra - actually they have in flight fast foods so you could buy

The plane would most likely be an Airbus A321 so don't expect lots of room. And because its a small plane with 2 toilets, you might have to queue up to use the lavatory

I do not think they have safety issues anyway so you may fly them if you want to cut costs but don't expect great service
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by ymx(m): 1:47pm On Apr 14, 2008
Well, I didnt have a good experience with Iberia, I flew witht them in 2005 and they misplaced my luggage. I got to Lagos from london and i couldnt get my luggage, I later found one and couldnt find the other. I wrote to there office in lagos and in madrid. they couldnt find it. I had to write a letter from a lawyer and they now brought the luggage after a month of always going to the airport. I got my luggage and 3/4 of my stuff was missing. most of the stuff were even not my stuff. I wrote that i was going to sue them and they told me that they would compensate me. I didnt get my compensation until about 18 months later. I always called there office in madrid and they were always telling me stories and all stuff. They finally gave me a cheque of 300 euros, with was not up to 1/4 of the value of the stuffs in the bag. Not even my laptop and camcoder that was missing. It was a terrible experience cos of items that i was sent with from london that i couldnt deliver.

Well, I am not sure about them now. but i wouldnt fly with them again.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Dreloaded(f): 2:08pm On Apr 14, 2008
No sane person checks in their laptop undecided
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by howfar2: 2:43pm On Apr 14, 2008
@ymx

Wondering how at this stage an adult can check in his laptop, well you went for a cheap flight and you got what you wanted. The cheaper the flight the higher the risk and vice versa.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Bossman(m): 4:03pm On Apr 14, 2008
Some circumstances warrant checking in a laptop. I had to in 2005 when I flew Iberia from Chicago to Lagos. I did not want to haul two 17" laptops in my backpack. I had mine, and I was taking one home for my sister. Good thing there were no mishaps. Obviously, one of the reasons to travel with a laptop is to be able to use it, so checking it in does not make much sense in most cases.

As for the ORD - LOS flight, the leg from ORD to MAD was not bad at all. It was not one of the newer planes, however the food, service, and entertainment was OK. Yes, the very long layover was a pain. The madrid to Lagos was so, so. I made sure I eat before boarding, so I slept almost through out. They did serve some food though. The same thing on the way back.

I am not complaining, because this was the cheapest I have ever flown ORD to LOS. It was only $750 (a special they were running to Europe/Africa then). The normal price is almost double that.

D-reloaded:

No sane person checks in their laptop undecided
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by software(m): 4:12pm On Apr 14, 2008
the name sounds funny grin
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Dreloaded(f): 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2008
I don't check mine in not only because I use it but because I SEE how those baggage handlers deal with luggages. If it were like a $400 dell or some crap, maybe. Not a $1500 Macbook.

Those people have no care for people's belongings. Dont know what they get paid for angry No way would i give it to them.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by tosinbobo1: 4:56pm On Apr 14, 2008
Hello asiwaju,

I understand you looking for the low cost airline to Lagos. Pals, I'm a frequent flyer for the past 20years and Iberia was the first airline to have showed me it satisfaction need to be consider b4 travelling. Also no entertainment on board, i.e. music or movies onboard. No excitement during the flight. Even up till now, I still have a case with them in UK court in regards to my missing baggage.

I'm not degrading the airline, they have good safety travels but my advise is you need to get good travel insurance before leaving if you intend to fly them. Also KLM, Air-France should be conceded also you can but an Austrian Airline tix and fly on Lufthansa.

Many Thanks
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by ogbotobo(m): 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2008
Cheap Fares to and from Europe? Turkish Airlines: Frankfurt-Lagos return for €615. Since March this year they are part of the Star Alliance, so I would imagine their safety and service standards have to be up to a certain level along with the other member airlines. Lay over time at Istanbul is acceptable.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 14, 2008
tosinbobo1:

Hello asiwaju,

I understand you looking for the low cost airline to Lagos. Pals, I'm a frequent flyer for the past 20years and Iberia was the first airline to have showed me it satisfaction need to be consider before travelling. Also no entertainment on board, i.e. music or movies onboard. No excitement during the flight. Even up till now, I still have a case with them in UK court in regards to my missing baggage.

I'm not degrading the airline, they have good safety travels but my advise is you need to get good travel insurance before leaving if you intend to fly them. Also KLM, Air-France should be conceded also you can but an Austrian Airline tix and fly on Lufthansa.

Many Thanks

AS long as Jehovah lives,my feet will not enter Airfrance unless as a last resort.
I had a serious verbal altercation with a check out girl for Air france and while in Paris,an air france employee challenged my husband to a fist fight.
The people are uncultured.
Never flown Iberia and from what I read here,I won't.
How can I fly for more than 7 hours without watching movies?
I could take my laptop or portable DVD but why should I ?

People should beware of all these cheap deals.
who can forget "world airline" a few Christmases ago that dumped Nigerian holiday makers in Ghana and turned back.
As far as they were concerned,they were in West Africa and can find their way home from Accra.
These people bought roundtrip tickets to Nigeria and ended up in Accra,of course they had to find their way back to the US on their own.

If you get roundtrip tickets to Lagos from JFK at $900 when others are charging $1600 be prepared ,you get what you pay for.
I hope you can speak Ashanti or Twi. grin
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Dreloaded(f): 9:28pm On Apr 14, 2008
I had a serious verbal altercation with a check out girl for Air france and while in Paris,an air france employee challenged my husband to a fist fight.

shocked What happened? What caused that? My last trip to Nigeria was with Air France. It was fine

n forget "world airline" a few Christmases ago that dumped Nigerian holiday makers in Ghana and turned back.
As far as they were concerned,they were in West Africa and can find their way home from Accra.

Rofl. grin I remember that. I couldnt stop laughing when a family friend told my parents the story.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by Digiman(m): 10:52pm On Apr 14, 2008
ogbotobo:

It looks like OKADA is rolling out its fleet of Dreamliners, soon to be gracing the international skies again. Not too sure about their inflight services, though.

My Aircraft recce skills are a bit rusty is that a  VC10 in the center of the picture ?

I hate to see aircraft go to waste like that !

edited:

I am rusty, it's a B727! , I have not see one of those for a while .
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by MahdiL: 1:02am On Apr 15, 2008
I thought this topic was about Iberia, yet i am seeing people posting about the price of their laptops
we that carry around $3000 laptops what are we to do??

Ok to the topic now,FLY IBERIA, if and only if;

1, You enjoy economy class. i fly first class not just because i can afford it, but because im used to it, Iberia has no first class. sorry
2, You want to kill ten birds with one stone. if you would like to tell people how you have traveld to spain, greece and much of the european states
without actually leaving the airports, its ok. i would rather fly to one place in peace
3, You want to kill your precious time. if you would rather spend 15hrs in the air trying to get from A to B which is just 6hrs. Fine
4,You are fasting. the airline food wont bother you then. maybe after, you will even be used to fasting.
5, You are travelling with just your body and papers No worries about lost luggage then. How come people check in Laptops?? that is just too daft.

There are still more reasons, but ruminate on these ones first.
Re: Flying With Iberia Airline by bumpyjohn(m): 7:14am On Apr 15, 2008
@nwando
[b]AS long as Jehovah lives,my feet will not enter Airfrance unless as a last resort.
Never flown Iberia and from what I read here,I won't.
How can I fly for more than 7 hours without watching movies?
I could take my laptop or portable DVD but why should I ?

People should beware of all these cheap deals.
who can forget "world airline" a few Christmases ago that dumped Nigerian holiday makers in Ghana and turned back.
These people bought roundtrip tickets to Nigeria and ended up in Accra,of course they had to find their way back to the US on their own.
If you get roundtrip tickets to Lagos from JFK at $900 when others are charging $1600 be prepared ,you get what you pay for.
I hope you can speak Ashanti or Twi.[/b]

lol, maybe the treatment you got from the crew member was a result of transfer aggression,air france operates one of the best airline in the whole world,iberia is cool too as i had flew them once from naija , but if you really want where passengers are washed with loads of insults and treated like dogs my brother try lufthansa grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why You Should Never Overtake A Truck At A Roundabout Or Risk Being Crushed / LASG Announces Diversion Of Traffic On Apapa-Oshodi Expressway. / How Many States Have You Visited In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.