Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

You Can Now Host Your Websites On Google Drive - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / You Can Now Host Your Websites On Google Drive (1017 Views)

How To Host Your Website For Free On Google Drive / Find What You Are Looking For Faster On Google / Hacking: How To Back Up Your Wordpress Site To Google Drive And Restore Easily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can Now Host Your Websites On Google Drive by Nobody: 11:27am On Apr 12, 2013
Google announced a while back that it will allow now Web developers to share hosted websites via Google Drive. All you have to do is store your HTML, JavaScript, and CSS files, and then share a link to your starting HTML file.

But here’s essentially what you have to do:

Create a new folder in Drive and share it as “Public on the web.”
Upload your HTML, JS & CSS files to this folder.
Open the HTML file & you will see “Preview” button in the toolbar.
Share the URL that looks like www.googledrive.com/host/… from the preview window and anyone can view your web page.
To make your URL simpler, we suggest you use this shortener – gdriv.es

Further information on how to do this is stored on Google Drive.

If you build or design sites and need to demo your work for clients, this should be a very useful way to show off what you’ve got so far. Because the company requires that you first share your files publicly, there shouldn’t be any privacy concerns here – nobody is going to see your website before it’s finished unless you explicitly give them the link.

Google’s goal here is of course to get more and more people using Google Drive over competing services. If your current cloud storage service can’t do this, we doubt you’ll switch, but if you’re already using Google Drive, you may find yourself using it more than Dropbox or SkyDrive.

http://olaitanmayowa.com/2013/04/12/you-can-now-host-your-websites-on-google-drive/

2 Likes

Re: You Can Now Host Your Websites On Google Drive by databoy247(m): 5:32pm On Apr 13, 2013
Nice, but dropbox is better. More options, i can invite you to see a file in my drive and it instantly reflects in your own dropbox folder where you just copy the file instead of "downloading" the file. Furthermore, it syncs with your yahoo mail so you can save attachments directly to your dropbox folder. Cuts the process of doing it manually. As per the website preview option from google drive, its cool but i still prefer dropbox. I make use of CX back then before switching to dropbox. I also use google drive too.....am tired of computer crashing and document recovery stress.
Re: You Can Now Host Your Websites On Google Drive by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 14, 2013
databoy247: Nice, but dropbox is better. More options, i can invite you to see a file in my drive and it instantly reflects in your own dropbox folder where you just copy the file instead of "downloading" the file. Furthermore, it syncs with your yahoo mail so you can save attachments directly to your dropbox folder. Cuts the process of doing it manually. As per the website preview option from google drive, its cool but i still prefer dropbox. I make use of CX back then before switching to dropbox. I also use google drive too.....am tired of computer crashing and document recovery stress.

dropbox is better but you can not take it away from google drive as well...
Re: You Can Now Host Your Websites On Google Drive by Gmmail(m): 2:19pm On Apr 14, 2013
ActiveMan:

dropbox is better but you can not take it away from google drive as well...

Dropbox is no match for google drive. Syncs across phones, tabs & laptop. Dropbox rules grin

(1) (Reply)

Another CSS Challenge / Egypt Distributes Locally Produced Tablets To University Students / My Adsense Was Taken Down By Google.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.