Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? (25788 Views)

Mutual Funds / I Need Suggestions On How/what To Invest My Savings On(urgent) / So Much For Idle Funds On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by yinkaoke(f): 2:47pm On Apr 16, 2013
I have an idle fund of about 300K and am contemplating on where to invest, I need some advice though I have the following in mind

Treasury bill 150k
Bond 100k
shares 50k
Mutual fund ?

I am investing low in shares to hedge and take some risk which could fall on either side. If negative then my returns on the fixed instrument can cover up. OR WHAT DO U THINK HOUSE?.
I could also invest in mutual fund but from my review of price history on Stanbic IBTC asset management website, I observed this is not a good time to buy mutual fund as the prices are high, so I will wait till year end or early new year when the prices are always low according to record anyway.

If any one has a contrary view pls help me out with prove.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by valdubem(m): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
Invest a good percentage of the money in FGN bonds.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by eyzeberg: 5:09pm On Apr 16, 2013
if the fund is really idle and u don't have a business dat can give u quick turnover, i will advise u put it into treasury bill if u .ar risk averter ,or buy a cheap and genuine land.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Nobody: 9:32am On Apr 17, 2013
Where and how can one purchase treasury bills and bonds? And how is the interest calculated? What's minimum amount one can invest?

3 Likes

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by jagabanban: 11:37am On Apr 17, 2013
[quote author=yinkaoke]I have an idle fund of about 300K and am contemplating on where to invest, I need some advice though I have the following in mind

All these are good but you cant beat investment in real estate. There are still places in the immediate ooutskirtsof Lagos where you can get a plot of land for about 350K, and can be guaranteed of 100% appreciation in value in 12 months. I am currently investing in one.

The Money market is also a good investment area i.e. FGN bonds.
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by mikeapollo: 11:42am On Apr 17, 2013
Ogbeche77: Where and how can one purchase treasury bills and bonds? And how is the interest calculated? What's minimum amount one can invest?

I think the minimum investment for T-Bills is N100,000.

Treasury Bills are discount instruments i.e you will pay the discounted amount when buying and receive the gross (face value) when it matures. e.g a T-Bill of N100 may be offered to the public at N85...this means you will pay N85 to buy it, but you would receive N100 when it matures.

The best investmenst:
1. Real Estate
2. FGN Bonds....for long term investors i.e 2 years and more
3. FGN T-Bills...for short-term investors i.e 3-12 months
4. Stocks/Shares....could yield very high returns in the short-run if well selected from undervalued stocks

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by omowolewa: 11:47am On Apr 17, 2013
It depends on how long the fund will remain idle and your risk tolerance.

For a medium and long range (5years & above), you can try real estate.
For a short term investment, your ration is alright. Only that you should be careful while selecting the company share you want to buy.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by jerryben12: 11:47am On Apr 17, 2013
Buy and sell commodities. Go to a warehouse, buy in bulk and sell in retails. Your colleagues and friends will be your early customers.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by everplusng: 11:53am On Apr 17, 2013
Eye opener

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by keneri(m): 11:57am On Apr 17, 2013
All these investment vehicles will only "preserve" your capital in a best case scenario. Inflation, however, will devalue your initial capital outlay. Nigeria's inflation rate is very high and will obliterate whatever interest your investment might accrue. Better put it into business. If you just want capital preservation, then, that's way to go. If you want capital growth/wealth, look elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by mctemmy(f): 11:58am On Apr 17, 2013
Hi house I have 700k idle funds too,is it advisable I invest all in tresury bills too?how is the turnover calculated and what is the risk?

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 17, 2013
Please guys, I have 1M idle fund too. Very idle. I think I need to do something with this. undecided
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by PRODUTIM1(m): 12:01pm On Apr 17, 2013
I can advice u to invest in Forever Living Products business.D business deals wt selling of daily needs like toothpaste,soap,perf,roll on,creme e.t.c made from Aloe Vera.It doesn't affect d job u ar presently on wt.Once u reach managerial level on d business d company can't pay u anything less than 200k evry month.I'm doing d business and it pays a lot.
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by hrmkz: 12:01pm On Apr 17, 2013
kingviny: Hi,

I am an entrepreneur and an investment manager. I can rent your capital and be giving you 5%/month (paid to you upfront immediately and subsequently, at the beginning of every working month) .

I am into the following businesses.

1. solar and inverter installations (better alternative to noisy Gen)
2. Forex Trading ( better Alternative to stock trading)
3. Product and Personality branding (USP= low cost and effective ad strategies for businesses)

I channels funds thru these ventures with a view to making decent profit for my company and for my investors.

Pls e-mail :- vincentmichael123@gmail.com if interested.

COLLATERAL:- POST DATED CHEQUE COVERING YOUR INVESTMENT, INVERTERS ON GROUND AND MY INTEGRITY ETC

i need a solar powered electricity machine to power a 5 bedroom apartment.
what is the cost and how many years gaurantee.
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Temismith(f): 12:02pm On Apr 17, 2013
Bros, bring d money make i run use am do somtin i go give u back in less dan 3months. Den wen am tru, i go tell u watin u fit use am do! wink grin
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:21pm On Apr 17, 2013
omowolewa: It depends on how long the fund will remain idle and you risk tolerance.

For a medium and long range (5years & above), you can try real estate.
For a short term investment, your ration is alright. Only that you should be careful while selecting the company share you want to buy.

Nothing wey pesin no go see for nairaland! How go you expect him to invest in real estate with 300,000 naira? Na wa o!

3 Likes

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Angel15(f): 12:23pm On Apr 17, 2013
@ op, if you won't need dat money any time soon that money can buy u land in a remote place. Just secure and forget it there. My one cent.

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Paentera(m): 12:26pm On Apr 17, 2013
You didn't indicate the period you wish to have the funds idle for - long or short term?
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Paentera(m): 12:30pm On Apr 17, 2013
jerryben12: Buy and sell commodities. Go to a warehouse, buy in bulk and sell in retails. Your colleagues and friends will be your early customers.

Not a very solid route especially if the OP doesn't have any plans to get involved in selling - something that involves hands on activities.
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Udoubak1: 12:31pm On Apr 17, 2013
I'll advice u to stake part of d money in G.T.Bank fixed deposit, n also go in2 real estates..cos it does'nt fail
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Durchmann(m): 12:44pm On Apr 17, 2013
yinkaoke: I have an idle fund of about 300K and am contemplating on where to invest, I need some advice though I have the following in mind

Treasury bill 150k
Bond 100k
shares 50k
Mutual fund ?

I am investing low in shares to hedge and take some risk which could fall on either side. If negative then my returns on the fixed instrument can cover up. OR WHAT DO U THINK HOUSE?.
I could also invest in mutual fund but from my review of price history on Stanbic IBTC asset management website, I observed this is not a good time to buy mutual fund as the prices are high, so I will wait till year end or early new year when the prices are always low according to record anyway.

If any one has a contrary view pls help me out with prove.
You sound like you already have an idea on what to do with your idle fund. Why don't you just do what your heart tells you and learn from the experience? We will only give tips but you are the only one who knows whats best for you. Don't trust the street tips for investing. Just increase your financial IQ by either getting information or doing what you think is best and learning from the experience. No one has a monopoly to education, believe me.
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by 3ace(m): 1:06pm On Apr 17, 2013
Udoubak1: I'll advice u to stake part of d money in G.T.Bank fixed deposit, n also go in2 real estates..cos it does'nt fail
Why Gtb and not other banks? Is their interest rate high?

1 Like

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Dumkele1: 1:12pm On Apr 17, 2013
i'll advise u to invest d bulk of it in treasury bills and the other part in an investment linked insurance plan esp if u av kids
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2013
yielding: I have an idle fund of about 300K and am contemplating on where to invest, I need some advice though I have the following in mind

Treasury bill 150k
Bond 100k
shares 50k
Mutual fund ?

I could also invest in mutual fund but from my review of price history on Stannic IBTC asset management website, I observed this is not a good time to buy mutual fund as the prices are high, so I will wait till year end or early new year when the prices are always low according to record anyway.

If any one has a contrary view old help
me out with prove.

I just leased a land in one of major roads in port harcourt to start a car wash with a bar/restaurant I have already drilled a borehole and I need someone who can bring about 300k so we can partner and build the structure as d money on me can't set a befitting structure which can attract a lot of customers. So if u can bring your money I will like you to visit the site and see my plan for d structure. With your 300k we will start business in 14 days time and we will share the profit and after six months you can take your money(300k) you invested and go. This is after you have shared. Six months profit with me.
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by antontech(m): 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2013
learning

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by carbon1224(m): 1:15pm On Apr 17, 2013
Invest on property.
Re: Advise On Where I Can Invest My Idle Funds? by neksummi(m): 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2013
You've got some good ideas. Follow them through.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Make Money With Bitcoin In Nigeria / Has 86 Fb Football Crashed Already? Is 86 Fb Football Still Paying? / Oil Marketers Holding Nation To Ransom,Says Okonjo-Iweala.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.