Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,951 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? (44130 Views)

10 Helpful Tips For Graduates With 2.2. And Lower Grades / Testimonies Of Second-Class Lower Graduates Who Have Good Jobs / Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by azeezakande: 2:04am On Apr 19, 2013
Pls what's the equivalent of Nigeria 2.1 or 2.2, first class, second class and so on to American grade point average scale of 0 to 4.0
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Nobody: 2:47am On Apr 19, 2013
Na wa oh. I never thought a day would come when 2.2 graduates would regard their degrees as worthless. 2.2 is as typical as it gets for a university degree in Nigeria - and most countries for that matter. If there is no hope for 2.2 graduates, then the labour market in its entirety is hopeless.

I predict that things would get even worse. The corruption and nepotism that is so prevalent in the employment process (which some people gleefully regard as manifestations of 'favour') has destroyed the credibility of the labour market. No student wants to study hard, LEARN, and make good grades anymore; they all prefer to chase 'connections' and 'unmerited favour' instead, since they rightly believe that that is the only thing that matters. The future looks very bleak for critical sectors that would drive Nigeria's development - both public and private. A workforce dominated by incompetent oafs employed through 'favour' or 'connections' does not bode well for any country's development in the long term.

6 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by trolling(m): 3:20am On Apr 19, 2013
pro01: Na wa oh. I never thought a day would come when 2.2 graduates would regard their degrees as worthless. 2.2 is as typical as it gets for a university degree in Nigeria - and most countries for that matter. If there is no hope for 2.2 graduates, then the labour market in its entirety is hopeless.

I predict that things would get even worse. The corruption and nepotism that is so prevalent in the employment process (which some people gleefully regard as manifestations of 'favour') have destroyed the credibility of the labour market. No student wants to study hard, LEARN, and make good grades anymore; they all prefer to chase 'connections' instead, since they rightly believe that that is the only thing that matters. The future looks very bleak for critical sectors that would drive Nigeria's development - both public and private. A workforce dominated by incompetent oafs employed through 'favour' or 'connections' does not bode well for any country's development in the long term.
you are so on point,and yes the future looks very bleak and i can give you documentation on that
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by henry247(m): 4:55am On Apr 19, 2013
There is,only when one puts his whole trust in God.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by franchuks(m): 5:08am On Apr 19, 2013
Some jobs still hv provision 4 ppl wt 2.2 nah. D 3rd class n pass are most affected by dis neglect. Believe in ursef, keep applying & God will do it in his time. One Love.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Nobody: 6:14am On Apr 19, 2013
There is hope like lots of it. I am a 2.2 graduate Geology and Mining. Yea the gospel of 2.1 as prerequisite for job offers is no more news. But like someone advised; skills. 2.2 maybe ur graduating grade but deep inside your head you'r first class so let not d limitation of that paper hold u ransom. I can boast that no first class material in ma field is holding the post I got now or could weld, fabricate, run well optimization or even reservoir simulation with relevant software applications. Stand out with a distinctive skill. I hope someday we see 2.2 as the requirement for employment, I will enforce it in no distant time. 1st class is good, 2.1 is cool 2.2 good but what is bad is u limiting urself.

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by hipinnacle: 6:34am On Apr 19, 2013
@op...... I don't have faith in a cv that is carrying grades with no weight. If your cv reflects 1st class and you nothing to show for it, then you are empty. what am saying; it is not about 2.2 or anything greater or lesser, it is about what you got to offer...

@all..... if you know you are facing the challenge of unemployment or underemployment, I have written an article for you in www.startandgrowrich.com on how to acquire a skill suitable to course of study.

all the best folks...
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Cheggoon(m): 8:31am On Apr 19, 2013
oddy4real: I am a Lawyer, finished with a 2:2 from the University of Ibadan and then made a 2:1 (which is VERY competitive) at the Nigerian Law School.
I have already done a Course in the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Nigeria), planning on doing NIM and other professional exams.
In as much as I am a Youth Corper, I have applied to a lot of top firms who prefer 2:1 but as a result of my Professional exams, awards garnered right from Secondary school till University and my extra curricula activities which I par took actively at the University, no firm I have applied to has rejected me. Once I apply, they always get back to me telling me that they appreciate my interest in their firm and would keep my CV with the intent of notifying me whenever there is space,
So my brother, it isn't about the 2:1 only, even with your 2 :2, once you show the firms that you have a lot to offer then apart from the 'certificate', they would take you.
Don't let your 2:2 weigh you down bro, seize the initiative and you are on your way to the top
Oddy ​​​​‎​Ȋ̝̊ seee u ....merule say so....
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by EmmyDe25(m): 8:37am On Apr 19, 2013
spicyp: dnt worry urslf she will be geTting married by june dis yr
Hahahaha,. . U FELL FOR IT.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by EmmyDe25(m): 8:40am On Apr 19, 2013
[
quote author=spicyp]dnt worry urslf she will be geTting married by june dis yr[/quote]Hahahah... I FIT CUM FOR D WEDDING NW
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 19, 2013
I am not writing this to impress you or make you feel better but just a true life story. Ever since in Secondary i had a thing for programming so i decided to follow it and sadly studied Business admin in Babcock where i lost focus on the course and started reading programming books instead of school curriculum, i graduated with 3.36 but i lied to people that i graduated with a 3.46 so that they could feel bad for me as i almost made it, to the point that i even thought i graduated with that. I later focused back on my programming because i loved it, i tried working in the bank i failed 3 GTBank Exams, which was embarrassing because i knew half of the people there from IT Jobs i did for one HR Boss like that and some friends. until it hit me i was looking for jobs where being a graduate was a criteria, i decided to focus on my programming years after years. and i tell you this, at a point i wasn't looking for jobs anymore, people were looking for me,references especially from my works, via Linked-in; even a company had to pay to pretend i was an IT staff for them, so they could win the bid for training bankers. Right now am doing a BSc again in BIS and IT,a Degree in the university doesn't guarantee you anything, its what you make out of yourself, my Junior graduated with a 2.1 and still no job while the last born a graphic designer bastard worked with GTBank in the Media Department and earns a good cash while still doing other works for people. Skills is what will save you in this country. you have to be wanted by someone. You have to be the type that people will be like "Oh you have such problem, meet this Guy he's the main gee" trust me Word of mouth and Networking goes a long way.a Friend of mine graduated from Babcock with a third class but he had passion for IT, he did his SAP, and the punk earns a large figure with a crib and a driver and a ride. when we play game in his house we laugh at the irony of it all. another friend of mine TTDalk a fashion designer studied computer at school and makes shoes and other stuff. Guy the list is freakin long, a University Certificate does nothing its your additional skills that sets you apart. I never had any problem with Jobs the only problem i had was rejecting companies because the salary wasn't good enough. but to be Frank i'd advise you to look beyond working for someone there are things you can engage, that is up to you to discover. i hope i tried and also forgive my bad English, was rushing this.

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Pedagogue: 9:22am On Apr 19, 2013
@ Op, it depends on where the certificate was obtained!!!

If obtained from a private uni in Nig, d holder stands very lil chance- Employers / Recruiters know dt in virtually all private uni's in Nig, PASS or 3RD CLASS is a rarity. Thus, a 2.2 is more or less like a PASS.

D above prejudice hovers around grads from state uni's too.

But 2.2 grads from top federal uni's in Nig are slightly better off - many Employers (out of sheer respect 4 the competition nay difficulty in obtaining good grades from federal uni's) place 2.2 grads from these uni's higher than their private and state counterparts. To them, a 2.2 grad from a good fed Uni is the same or even better off than a first or second class upper grad from a state or private uni.

*D above is based on REAL experience.

My advice- if u are still a student, Work HARDER (I can say of a truth that my first class cert has opened heretofore 'difficult' doors).

If you are a 2.2 or 3rd class grad, believe in yourself and obtain more certificates...nothing do you!
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Dremskeji(m): 9:56am On Apr 19, 2013
Verily, verily I say unto you, never feel inferior to anybody in life and understand urself then be diligent so dt u can stand b4 kings.SHALOM!
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by adewasco2k(m): 10:05am On Apr 19, 2013
@ PC-GURU....I can only say wow!!!

That was so motivating.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by mikeapollo: 10:08am On Apr 19, 2013
Second class lower is the 'minimum good grade'. You dont have to lose hope. You can still go ahead and do professional or Masters courses with your 2:2, either locally or in foreign universities.
Just work hard to add a few more relevant certifications and Masters degrees to your 2:2 and you would be okay..
From experience, professional certifications (especially from globally recognised bodies e.g. ACCA etc) are preferred to Master degree from Nigerian universities.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by justsaying: 10:09am On Apr 19, 2013
Its nice to see Nigerians being encouraging for once. Threads about school usually consist of very arrogant and self righteous comments. However I am amazed by the supportive words for the poster in this thread.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by pekelepekele(m): 10:43am On Apr 19, 2013
I summarize the whole thread and all I can see is 2.2 @op camry 2.2 Is a very good vehicle you should go for it cheesy

But joke apart if you find yourself with 2nd class lower just join the Nigerian police force and become a 1 star police office
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:59am On Apr 19, 2013
you can try and visit ICSL www.integratedcorporateservices.com

a friend of mine just got a job through them with stanbic
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by oriafoh(m): 12:27pm On Apr 19, 2013
spicyp: My elder sister graduated with 3rd class,she's working now and her monthly salary is 100k
which job she dey do? Hope no be ashawo sha.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by jarkata(m): 12:35pm On Apr 19, 2013
ammnesty: MA BRODA I'L TEL U A STORY DAT HAPPEND IN MA SKUL UNICAL.3FRNDS GRADUATED.1 WIT 2.1,THE ODA WIT 2.2 N THE LAST WIT 3RD CLAS..NOW THE GUY WIT 3RD CLAS WORKS IN ABJ WIT EFCC N IS A BIG BOY WHILE THE ODA WIT 2.2 IS NW A LECTURA(MATHS.N.STATS)DR 4 DAT MATA OH...THE GUY WIT 2.1 NW S TEACHING IN A SEC.SCH IN AKS...THEY ALL READ MATHS N STATS...SO BROS IT AINT THE GRADE BT GODS GRACE N MERCY THAT COUNTS!
Yes oooooooooo
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by tical(m): 12:58pm On Apr 19, 2013
yuzedo: No hope bro. I gradate 2.2 uppper from prestingous universety since 40yrs ago. No job. cry No punny. cry No anytin! angry angry

I have desided to take matters into my very own hands. I want to do oil bunkery. Palm-oil bunkery. or kidnappy. Dat is disposeable kid nappy.hope somebody can send me richard card to sell, af not eat good food since last years. cry
laffing & rolling
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by tical(m): 12:58pm On Apr 19, 2013
yuzedo: No hope bro. I gradate 2.2 uppper from prestingous universety since 40yrs ago. No job. cry No punny. cry No anytin! angry angry

I have desided to take matters into my very own hands. I want to do oil bunkery. Palm-oil bunkery. or kidnappy. Dat is disposeable kid nappy.hope somebody can send me richard card to sell, af not eat good food since last years. cry
laffing & rolling grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by myz(m): 1:23pm On Apr 19, 2013
U can get a job with any grade.its jus God nd ur connection
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Jaykizz(m): 3:40pm On Apr 19, 2013
Plz stp d limitatn! There are many jobs available 4 evry1; evn ppl wit a pass degree.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Morgan1092(m): 6:17pm On Apr 19, 2013
What a lovely & inspiring thread!
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Chuksmomay: 7:52pm On Apr 19, 2013
Most important is to understand what u read in school. The level of competence in ur line of work is what d employer seeks. If u read engineering, then u must be practical oriented cos they won't ask theories in interviews but real life work. Don't hesistate to apply even when grades are specified.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Bome01(m): 8:39am On Apr 20, 2013
spicyp: My elder sister graduated with 3rd class,she's working now and her monthly salary is 100k
she tell u how she take get am?? She no fit na
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Gideon1010(m): 10:21am On Apr 20, 2013
Op, there is lot of hope 4 u and other 2.2 graduates, if u truly knw what u want in life. If there is hope for pass less u who ve 2.2, jst b glad n tankful 2 God 4 wat n who u. Dis life is beyund certificate my dear. God ll bless us.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by Dogitto(m): 7:34am On Apr 22, 2013
I have a 2.2
I rounded off my service year 15th of october 2012 and got a good job february 18th 2013 without any influence of my oga at the top.
Guys when God wants to bless you,He does not follow protocol or observe the laws of nature.Yours is to trust in HIm

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by dulphines: 11:59am On Apr 23, 2013
excellentmomma:
Mr 2.1 can't u see u r d dullard here, u cudnt see d humour he was trying to pass across, lolz!!!, na u sabi English pass, Olodo!!!

Your father! If i lay a curse on you now, Nigerians will say i am wicked. Watch your tongue or else you will spend the remaining part of your life in agony.
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by patuwa2(m): 2:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
Wale Adenuga employed 2.1 and first class in its banking and communication industries. Is Adenuga doing better than GT bank and Zenith bank and MTN or Etisalat? No!
Re: Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? by patuwa2(m): 2:26pm On Apr 23, 2013
Wale Adenuga employed 2.1 and first class in its banking and communication industries. Is Adenuga doing better than GT bank and Zenith bank and MTN or Etisalat that employs 2.2 and third class graduate? No!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Theois Bank Job Invitation - ASO Savings and Loans / PLS Which Organization Is G.M Resources At Onipanu Bus Stop / Urgent Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.