Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

6 English Words With Nigerian Origins - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins (869 Views)

Man In Ogun Goes With Nigerian Flag / Exclusive Interview With Nigerian,new York Based Stylist,kanayo Ebi / "I Want to Chat With Nigerian Girls" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by Giftedgreen: 4:39pm On Apr 18, 2013
English language is known for borrowing from other languages and every word (like everything else) has an origin.

The word “Makurdi,” for example, comes with a story. When our colonial masters first visited the area now called Makurdi, they wanted to the person that was in-charge. And the locals kept referring to a rich merchant, whom they called mai-kudi, which translates to ‘owner of money’ in Hausa. Knowing the white man and his habit of killing our African names started calling the whole town Makurdi. And that is how the town, Makurdi, got its name.

Which words have been borrowed from Nigerian Languages? We are going to answer that question today. GiftedGreen is going to provide you with some English words that have Nigerian Origin.

1.Okra

At first you would wonder why this word is called “Okro” in Nigeria, and yet it is spelled “Okra” in English. It is not because you do not know how to spell; it is simply because it originated from the Igbo word “okuro” which also means also known as “ladies' fingers”.

2.Juju

No Nigerian needs an introduction to the word juju. At first, it does not seem like an English word until you check your dictionary.

According to The Free Dictionary, this word originated from Hausa. And yes, it also mentioned the Yoruba type of music in the dictionary

3.Bogus

Bogus means fake or fraudulent. Bogus is believed to be from the Hausa word “boko-boko”.

4.Tango

Tango probably originates from the word 'tamgu' means to dance in Ibibio. How the Ibibio’s were able to name an Argentinean dance still baffles everybody at GiftedGreen. The FreeDictionary still gives credit to the language (Ibibio) so who are we to judge?
5.Buckra

Buckra is a word used contemptuously by Black people, especially in the United States to refer a White man. This word is believed to have originated from the Efik word mba-ka-ra which means master. #slavetradethings

6.Yam

The word yam probably originated from the Fulani word “nyami”. We would bet that you did not see this one coming, did you? If you were to choose a word contributed by the Fulani, you probably would have said cow.

This list does not end here, there are also a couple of words like Dashiki, Agbada, Chigger, Obeah, and many more.

Can you think of any English word with Nigerian Origin? Enter them in the comment below.

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/01/24/6-english-words-with-nigerian-origins/

1 Like

Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by zugoboss(m): 4:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
Very interesting indeed
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by infantrydoctor(m): 4:21pm On Aug 23, 2014
Intereting stuffs. U guys are good.
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 23, 2014
good to know nigerians can not only copy stuff. but i cant open ur link.
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by gbafched: 9:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
Once heard that immunity was derived from imu-ni-ti a Yoruba word that means
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by Giftedgreen: 11:01pm On Aug 23, 2014
gloriaz: good to know nigerians can not only copy stuff. but i cant open ur link.

Sorry about that. We moved most of our articles to our new site. this is the new link

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/01/24/6-english-words-with-nigerian-origins/
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by KillerBeauty(f): 6:06am On Aug 24, 2014
Wow Where do u guys come up with these stuff

Nice work op
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by KillerBeauty(f): 6:07am On Aug 24, 2014
Wow Where do u guys come up with these stuff

Nice work op

Anyway av been suspecting that word okra since
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by drstan(m): 2:32pm On Aug 24, 2014
Typing..................
Re: 6 English Words With Nigerian Origins by 573V31D(m): 6:34pm On Aug 24, 2014
Fufu... I stand to be corrected...i think from...

(1) (Reply)

He Laughs Pointing Finger @ Me...plz Advice Me. / ASUU, ASUP Strikes Ground Varsities, Polytechnics / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.