Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Joomla Article Editing Problem - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Joomla Article Editing Problem (890 Views)

A Comprehensive Guide To Joomla Article Creation And Editing / How To Change Admin Password In Joomla From Locahost! / I Need A Reliable And Affordable Host For Joomla And Wordpress. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joomla Article Editing Problem by schneid: 11:56am On Apr 20, 2013
hi, am presently working on a new site using joomla. the article editing is proving stubborn. am thinking probably i have enabled/disabled something unknowingly.
here are the problems:
cant upload image in content
cant insert a page break
cant insert a table
cant insert a readmore.
once i do all the above and save, it goes back to "as it was".

i have done the following:
changed template
changed browser
chose default,extended and advanced in the editor tinymice plugin
i have created fresh articles.

still no effect.

any possible solution?
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by yawatide(f): 12:06pm On Apr 20, 2013
It might be time to reset by uninstalling what you have and reinstalling a fresh, latest, version.
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by PGON(m): 4:05pm On Apr 20, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
It might be time to reset by uninstalling what you have and reinstalling a fresh, latest, version.

First step in troubleshooting...

schneid: hi, am presently working on a new site using joomla. the article editing is proving stubborn. am thinking probably i have enabled/disabled something unknowingly.
You need check article settings.

Look at the code (code view)
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by yawatide(f): 6:44pm On Apr 20, 2013
PGON:

Thanks for pointing out the bolded portion above.

See, from experience over the years, I think I have become a little bit good at deciphering stuff. When I read words like "stubborn" and "unknowingly" and "enabled/disabled", my gut tells me that OP would be better served to start afresh (hopefully he has backup and/or hasn't gone too far) than to start going down the list of enabling and disabling. Think about it. Especially if OP is not starting with a fresh installation, it can be a pretty daunting task to enable/disable stuff. Even if OP opts for doing an "enable/disable" all, that too can be risky as OP may end up making matters worse.

OP:
Regardless of approach that you use, I hope you find a solution to your problem(s).

good luck!
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by schneid: 10:38am On Apr 21, 2013
Thanks yawa n pgon .
D site was initially designed about 3 yrs ago using joomla 1.5 . I copied d database, and saved. This year I changed webhosting n installed joomla 2.5. I transferred d database, installed latest softwares for modules and changed to new templates. So, wat could hv gone wrong? I hv checked d article properties- no problem.
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by yawatide(f): 12:00pm On Apr 21, 2013
PGON, u c am?

OP:
Did you upgrade joomla as a whole or as you said,just the modules? You see, you can't just transfer databases, even if it is the same version of joomla. Also, before you do anything of that nature, you should always back up your database, just in case. Moving from 1.x to 2.x is a big deal. There are lots of changes b/w the 2. There is also an app (the name escapes my memory now) that you could have used to manage the migration for you.

It might not be a bad idea to perhaps find a way to extract the articles and start all over. Besides, 2.5 is way better than 1.5

Good luck!
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by mcfranc(m): 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2013
Like yawatide pointed out, moving from 1.5x to 2.5 is a very tedious task. You must be very conversant with the migration procedures to get it done because it is technical. The syntax of 2.5 is quite different from the 1.5x versions.

Yawa, i think u are referring to this migration extension - http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migration-a-conversion/joomla-migration/15609 or a similar one. Note that most of the migrations are for database, images and not your old joomla 1.5x extentions except if the developers have upgraded to the newer version.
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by yawatide(f): 10:23pm On Apr 22, 2013
^^^ Now the name returns to memory - kickstart(?)

At any rate, yep, such can only be used for a version-to-version migration. OP will need to first upgrade to the newer version, based on documentation at joomla.org.

A short story that underscores the importance of this thread:
Back in the 1.5 days, I did a site for an organization. Fast forward to 2012, I get a distress call from the President saying the site is down and to contact "a very smart guy" who had taken over administration of the site. I googled him and found out he runs an IT firm. No problems or bad belle about that. I just like to know who I am dealing with before I deal with them.

As it turns out, bobo tried to do a "migration" but copying from one php file to the other. It was only after he couldn't mess it up any further that he had them call me. Cut a long story short, bobo then asks what would need to be done. I recommended he tell the President to do a redesign (I even stressed that I don't have to be the one to do it. Knowing naija, dem think say dem smart, he he). Besides, the site was mad old anyways. Bobo wanted to "save" money and said he will get back to me. Well as at the time of this posting, the site is still showing the default joomla "under construction" page (going on 6 months now).

I dey tell una o! ITK no dey work o, but of course, nobody dey listen. If you no sabi something, just ask. If something sounds extreme, at least ask why and don't brush it aside. I dey laugh o!!
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by schneid: 1:35am On Apr 24, 2013
thanks yawa and pgon for the concern.

am aware of akeebah and kickstart and all that. one thing i have realised with we web developers is "we like tampering with our own personal website all the time". if we are not changing hosting, we change the design, we change content, we add this , we add that.

my point is i was just tired of the old website. i wanted something fresh but just too lazy to start typing contents. i can say the only important thing from the old website i needed was the text content. i didnt want to bother with all those akeebah and stuffs. at first, all i did was just backup my db and upload to the new one, then disabled all the old stuffs that came with it i needed no more,installed new ones before the yawa gas.

besides that, i changed webhost, i got tired of shocked and decided to try wink. I successfully moved all my clients without hazzle. grin.

Anyway, my new site is up and running 70% completed with the new design. I simply deleted the old installation and started afresh. And it paid off cos new ideas were flowing and the time spent was worth it.

Thanks again
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by yawatide(f): 2:28pm On Apr 24, 2013
Glad to hear you've finally resolved the issue. Some times, you have to weigh a "quick fix" that can take hours vs an "extreme fix" which can be done in 5 minutes (well, maybe not literally wink ). It looks like you did the smart and right thing, given what you've listed above, and gone for the latter.

I am definitely not a fan of blowing up the ceiling to fix a leak in the roof, so to speak, but many at times, based on experience, it is the best option to take.

Cheers!
Re: Joomla Article Editing Problem by schneid: 11:15am On Apr 25, 2013
Thanks, I really appreciate your response grin
Best Regards
[/color][color=#000000]

(1) (Reply)

Php Real Estate Script For Sell, Start Your Own Real Estate Website Now / Hospital Appointment Web Application / How Can I Access List Of Websites Developed With JSP/JSF?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.