Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' (12635 Views)

Terrorist Attack In Paris Leaves 40 Dead And 100 Hostages / Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 / Was Nelson Mandela A Terrorist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by TechyGuy: 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2013
Canadian authorities have foiled "a major terrorist attack" in the country’s capital, Toronto.

Canadian police and intelligence agencies said the operation was conducted in co-ordination with the US Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Al Jazeera's Daniel Lak, reporting from Toronto's Pearson Airport, said that arrests have been made.

"They have been watching suspects for a year," Lak said.

In 2006, Canadian authorities also arrested at least 18 suspects reportedly linked to a terror plot, involving attacks on the parliament and a major broadcast company.

Sources:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2013/04/2013422193533322659.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22258191
http://us.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/americas/canada-terror-plot-thwarted/index.html
Live on CNN

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by TechyGuy: 9:09pm On Apr 22, 2013
Following the news and like that of Boston, the people once again collaborated with security operatives to thwart the plot. If only our security operatives get the kind of support from the communities where terrorists have thrived in Nigeria, the security challenges would have been subdued.

7 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by 50calibre(m): 9:15pm On Apr 22, 2013
This is quite surprising considering that Canada is usually peaceful.

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by TechyGuy: 9:29pm On Apr 22, 2013
50calibre: This is quite surprising considering that Canada is usually peaceful.

That is what they probably wanted to take advantage of.

But I'm more interested in the fact that they(security) get tip-off's from locals. I do not intend to exonerate our FG but I do not think any government including that of advanced countries like US and Canada can do anything without the cooperation of those in the community.

6 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by Novice1(m): 9:39pm On Apr 22, 2013
TechyGuy: Following the news and like that of Boston, the people once again collaborated with security operatives to thwart the plot. If only our security operatives get the kind of support from the communities where terrorists have thrived in Nigeria, the security challenges would have been subdued.

You don't get that kind of support from the community when you traumatise them even more than BH.

21 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by ahmedkara: 9:39pm On Apr 22, 2013
Any country where you have muslims' expect terrorist attacks. For prophet Mohammed has promised them 72 virgins to Bleep in paradise. So anywhere you have Muslims beware.

13 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by grimadult(m): 9:40pm On Apr 22, 2013
Our own news wuld hv read"due to d brutal handling of d suspects by our polce force all died in custody bt investigation is still on going" grin
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by bookface: 9:40pm On Apr 22, 2013
I will wait for the conspiracy theorists to put another spin on this one.
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by DANILSA(m): 9:40pm On Apr 22, 2013
Is he a muslam?

Alhamdulila Allahu akba muslima.

Just passing ♧♣♧

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:41pm On Apr 22, 2013
These terrorists are now on rampage. Bad people trying to destroy...
Canada that's usually peaceful.
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by kumbalo(m): 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2013
people are afraid because the police could arrest the complainat.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by proudlysports: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2013
TechyGuy: Following the news and like that of Boston, the people once again collaborated with security operatives to thwart the plot. If only our security operatives get the kind of support from the communities where terrorists have thrived in Nigeria, the security challenges would have been subdued.

Ideally, I agree that the police needs support from locals to get their job done but sadly in Nigeria, from personal experience, you should tip off Nigerian Police at your own peril.
I definitely won't allow my close friends or family to give them a tip off or have anything to do with Police.

3 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by XFive: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2013
No country is peaceful these days
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by dapo338(m): 9:45pm On Apr 22, 2013
Before a government could get her citizen support, there are sumthings that has to be put in place, corruption in higher places and u want the citizen co operation, thats impossible.
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by inosend: 9:45pm On Apr 22, 2013
Make breeze continue dey blow so dat fowl yansh go continue dfy open. I do wish the Nigerian security operatives similar successes.

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by toluxa1(m): 9:46pm On Apr 22, 2013
Front Page title should be "intelligence" not intelligent
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 22, 2013
Well

2 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by NessaFresh(f): 9:47pm On Apr 22, 2013
Thumbs Up
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by redcliff: 9:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
candygosh: Well

lol

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by tellwisdom: 9:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
Novice1:

You don't get that kind of support from the community when you traumatise them even more than BH.
True yerns..I gve u 5million likes morethan what NL can give cool

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by TechyGuy: 9:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
Novice1:

What are you saying? I lived in the North, a BH state, I know what I'm talking about. The core northerner will "hardly" collaborate with security agencies (seen as enemies) to fight against BH terrorists (seen as brothers).

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by sweetnigga(m): 9:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: These terrorists are now on rampage. Bad people trying to destroy...
Canada that's usually peaceful.
tell them not to try canada, abeg.
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by 1ndidi2(f): 9:50pm On Apr 22, 2013
@op, its intelligence not intelligent.

The. canadian and American police authorities have been watching those two guys since august last year!!!

Hmm!we sure have a looooooong way 2go

1 Like

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by Bryancrox(m): 9:50pm On Apr 22, 2013
Pilot pls fine somewhr 2 park dis plane,am no more qoinq 2 canada...Wtf
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by cold(m): 9:51pm On Apr 22, 2013
Mods or whomever is responsible for putting this on the fp can you please correct the headline. It's 'Canadian Intelligence' & not Canada intelligent. The world is watching
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by natasha: 9:52pm On Apr 22, 2013
I see that the people who blow themselves up in d name of the "fairy godmother" [/s]allah/mohammed [s][s][/s] are at it again. Soon we will have the supporters and sympathisers of d Motherless babies children charity (aka boko haram - remember we were told last wk dt BH isnt a terrorist organisation) come online raging and ranting like rabid infested dogs and justifying the actions of dis troublesome religion dt is known everywhere for violence. Instead of the muslim leaders to come out and denounce violence and killings they will be ranting abt acts of violence committed by other religions against theirs in 150BC forgetting that there were no religions just tribes n ethnicities in that era
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by TechyGuy: 9:52pm On Apr 22, 2013
proudlysports:

Ideally, I agree that the police needs support from locals to get their job done but sadly in Nigeria, from personal experience, you should tip off Nigerian Police at your own peril.
I definitely won't allow my close friends or family to give them a tip off or have anything to do with Police.

I have done so. There are several ways you can do so and hide your identity if you are afraid.
More so, I'm not talking about individuals alone. I am talking about collective efforts by residents, religious and traditional leaders, teachers, landlords and all.

It worked in Lagos, it has worked in Kano, it can work in Borno and Yobe!

3 Likes

Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by Siga: 9:53pm On Apr 22, 2013
One of the bastard just got off Toronto from a private jet with handcuffs and plenty police....dem go enter court tomorrow morning....oloshi
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2013
Cray!
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by 50calibre(m): 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2013
TechyGuy:

That is what they probably wanted to take advantage of.

But I'm more interested in the fact that they(security) get tip-off's from locals. I do not intend to exonerate our FG but I do not think any government including that of advanced countries like US and Canada can do anything without the cooperation of those in the community.

Sure thing! Information from locals are very vital for anti-terrorism but there are also some other pointers as well, like travel history, credit card records, browsing history, phone record etc the moment you begin to engage in shady practices, the system flags you up!
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 22, 2013
Good job by the Canadian and American law enforcement agents. It was crucial that they nipped the terrorist plans in the bud.
Re: Canada Foils 'major Terrorist Attack' by fitzmayowa: 10:01pm On Apr 22, 2013
ahmedkara: Any country where you have muslims' expect terrorist attacks. For prophet Mohammed has promised them 72 virgins to Bleep in paradise. So anywhere you have Muslims beware.
Why always ISLAM But anyway the capital of pakistan says it all ISLAM-A-BAD...

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beyonce Writes A Letter To Obama / This Is Australia, Shape In Or Ship Out Muslims - Australian Pm / Why Do White South Africans Refuse To Go Back To Europe ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.