Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

A Tale From The East: The Origin Of Arochukwu Kingdom (the Screenplay) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Tale From The East: The Origin Of Arochukwu Kingdom (the Screenplay) (1434 Views)

A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. / "a tale from an orphan's diary" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Tale From The East: The Origin Of Arochukwu Kingdom (the Screenplay) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 24, 2013
INTRODUCTION

Good day Nairalanders, I’m an upcoming scriptwriter. I’ve written a couple of scripts previously, but when my laptop crashed, I lost all. Now I got another laptop, I decide to continue writing, but to write a non-fiction. This script I have is a story I came across my mom’s village Arochukwu, last Christmas, hearing for the first time that all this south eastern parts in Nigeria originated from Arochukwu after a long years of the wars, there I picked an interest in scripting it into a motion picture.

RESEARCH

Before I started writing I carried out a research in knowing the origin of the war, with the help of these sources – en.wikipedia.org/Aro-ibibio wars, www.sooperarticles.com/news&societyarticles, en.vioto.com/Aro-ibibio wars, www.earthspot.org/aro-ibibio wars, www.aronewsonline.com/origincivilization. I acquired some useful information, but none of this sources told the story from A-Z, they inserted the information about what abrupt the war, the side that won only. There is also some different details from different sources, which also got me confuse a little e.g. It is said that it was Agwu’s father that arrange the married between Akpan father with a woman from his clan that produces Kakpokpo, this I chose. But another source said it was Agwu that arrange the marriage for Akpan to marry from his clan, but the true history was that Kakpokpo was Akpan's step brother and it was Agwu that helped Kakpokpo plan a coup against Akpan. Another confusing detail was that, Obong Okon Ita is the father of Akpan and Kakpokpo, but Obong Ita existed between 300BC and the 11th century, while Akpan and Kakpokpo are present in the seventeenth century. Another one is the years difference, the sources said that the war started around 1630’s and ended 1690’s, Agwu, Kakpokpo and Akpan were present all these years of the war, without dying of old age or another person taking their place. Following what the history presents, Agwu and Akpan was in their forties or fifties when the war started, meaning they were in their 90’s when the war ended, and Agwu were also present when Akuma is crowned the first king of Arochukwu in 1720. So I chose not to make my script a time conscious one. And also a few characters were named that was part of the war, just 9-11 characters, Kakpokpo’s mother weren’t mentioned, Akpan and Agwu family not mentioned and many more, making me to create few fictitious characters. Another untold details not mention was when Agwu and Kakpokpo ask Akpa kingdom to aid them to victory, it is made known that Akpa people brought heavy artilleries like muskets, pistol and cannons, that they use in winning the war, but the sources gave no details about how they acquired the weapons, I made up a story in my script that showcases how they acquired the weapons from the British soldiers. Another is that the sources didn’t make it known of the reason why Agwu and his people leaves their land in search of another, that I made up a story also.

CONCEPT

The concept I used in the script is, I made it known that the tale happened in the seventh century and that it was the British that invades Agwu’s village, resulting them to leave the land in search of a new beginning. I created king Akpan to be a tyrant leader of Obong Okon Ita kingdom, making Kakpokpo to plan an impeachment. Also on how Agwu, Kakpokpo and the Akpas acquired the artilleries was the idea of Agwu telling them that they should get the weapons from the British that invaded his village.

MY SHORT SYNOPSIS

Based on a true event that occurred in the south-eastern part of Nigeria in the seventeenth century. Set in the seventeenth century, a blacksmith and migrant leader of a small village named Agwu Inobia of Agwu clan community was invaded by British merchants and soldiers lead by Commodore John sparrow with intention to secure a permanent site for his business. Commodore john sparrow meant no harm to the Agwu clan people, but Agwu Inobia rejects their gift and asks them to leave, which the British declined, that resulted Agwu Inobia and Agwu clan people (those that sided with Agwu Inobia) to leave the village in search of a new beginning.
Days past when they get to Obong Okon Ita kingdom in the same Aro territory, Agwu Inobia and his clan people seeks refuge in the kingdom because they had a positive history, but they were ask to spend only a night in the land by their tyrant king named king Akpan Okon. During their stay, Prince Kakpokpo Okon, who is a step brother to king Akpan reported to Agwu, telling him that he is planning a coup to impeach his brother because of his tyranny leadership and ask Agwu Inobia for help, which resulted to Aro-Ibibio war.

PROPOSITION

I do not plan to sale this script, but to get it to a right hand, because I took my time in writing this, I wouldn’t pray for it to become a wacky job after production. I know if the script gets to the right person who will put some qualities on it, I know it will turn out to be a good movie, and good movies sales good, and I know I won’t be left empty handed after its market gains. If interested, my contacts are below, thanks for your time.

08063012705, 08188498791. okerekenkem@yahoo.com.

(1) (Reply)

Osho And The Widow. / Book Review: Rethinking Feminism:“female-men” In Buchi Emecheta’s The Slave Girl / Mother's Day - A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.