Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Rooted Now What? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Rooted Now What? (1760 Views)

At Last My Itel IT1452 Is Rooted!!! / Procedure On How I Rooted And Changed My Gionee P2s Imei To That Of Bb / HELP! How Do I Upgrade Rooted Gingerbread To Jellybean. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rooted Now What? by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 25, 2013
Just went through the process of rooting my samsung GS3, and wow the adrenaline is pumping now

So my question is: what now?

Any special apps I should try now or anything?

What should be done? My phone still looks like its unrooted except for the #superuser app in the menu.
thanks in advance
Re: Rooted Now What? by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 25, 2013
pls i need ur help oooooo
Re: Rooted Now What? by Makio9: 10:54am On Apr 25, 2013
Congratulations! grin After you have rooted your Android there two main things people like to do. Check out the new apps that are now available to you is one. The other is check out all of the custom ROMs which you can now use. One thing you must do which people are not aware of is backing up the EFS file. After rooting the EFS is somewhat vulnerable so you need to back this up so you can be safe and enjoy the root access! For more details on this: http://kindredcone.com/2013/04/25/what-to-do-after-device-is-rooted/
Re: Rooted Now What? by honsule(m): 11:40am On Apr 25, 2013
@Op. what nxt?start downloading apps....
Re: Rooted Now What? by puskin: 12:05pm On Apr 25, 2013
honsule: @Op. what nxt?start downloading apps....

.......as if he couldn't download apps before. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Rooted Now What? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 25, 2013
Makio9: Congratulations! grin After you have rooted your Android there two main things people like to do. Check out the new apps that are now available to you is one. The other is check out all of the custom ROMs which you can now use. One thing you must do which people are not aware of is backing up the EFS file. After rooting the EFS is somewhat vulnerable so you need to back this up so you can be safe and enjoy the root access! For more details on this: http://kindredcone.com/2013/04/25/what-to-do-after-device-is-rooted/

Thanks buddy. What does efs mean by the way? Will chck out the link in a bit
Re: Rooted Now What? by Makio9: 10:43am On Apr 26, 2013
You're welcome. I'm not sure exactly what EFS stands for, but it is where all the important files are stored, and it's a part you don't want to get corrupted. It has the IMEI number in it and stuff like that. All you have to do is backup your device and you are fine wink
Re: Rooted Now What? by donlyone(m): 11:21pm On Apr 26, 2013
If you are using Avast antivirus, go to settings and enable FIREWALL.

If you're not using AVAST get it nowwww.

Don't go for custom roms, they are usually not as stable as stock roms. Instead get the apps you like in the custom rom and install it. Trust me, I know what I am talking about.

Now get Titanium backup, you'll love it.

Before I forget, you must be careful with your phone seeing as you can brick your phone by tampering with something you don't know.
Re: Rooted Now What? by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 13, 2013
donlyone: If you are using Avast antivirus, go to settings and enable FIREWALL.

If you're not using AVAST get it nowwww.

Don't go for custom roms, they are usually not as stable as stock roms. Instead get the apps you like in the custom rom and install it. Trust me, I know what I am talking about.

Now get Titanium backup, you'll love it.

Before I forget, you must be careful with your phone seeing as you can brick your phone by tampering with something you don't know.

thanks for the help, i used the Tit backup but it backed up to my phone memory, how can i make change it to memory card? I use AVG and lookout. Whats special about AVAST?

As regards custom roms, would like to check some out just for the fun of it. What are the steps needed to get it done?
Re: Rooted Now What? by donlyone(m): 8:10am On May 14, 2013
ollah1:

thanks for the help, i used the Tit backup but it backed up to my phone memory, how can i make change it to memory card? I use AVG and lookout. Whats special about AVAST?

As regards custom roms, would like to check some out just for the fun of it. What are the steps needed to get it done?

Tit backup will use phone memory, its worth it, let it be.

As for Avast, it has FIREWALL. I saw a forum and they recommended it for 'rooted' users because of the firewall feature.
Re: Rooted Now What? by Nobody: 12:09am On May 16, 2013
Good.. will check out avast. If Tit Backup uses phone memory, how would i restore my back up thru Tit backup when i install a custom rom since i will lose my information
Re: Rooted Now What? by donlyone(m): 11:25am On May 16, 2013
ollah1: Good.. will check out avast. If Tit Backup uses phone memory, how would i restore my back up thru Tit backup when i install a custom rom since i will lose my information

When you flash a custom rom on your device, your sdcard files are not Erased, not even when you do a factory reset from RECOVERY MODE. However, your sdcard files are erased when you do a FACTORY RESET by using the Samsung HARD RESET CODE from your dial pad, also when you FORMAT your sd card from device SETTINGS.

To be on the safe side, you should copy the Titanium backup folder on your sdcard and a copy of the Titanium app to your computer. If you don't have a computer GET ONE. So if you lose your sdcard files, you will copy them back, install the Titanium backup app and restore your apps.

If you are flashing a Custom Rom on your device, don't forget to backup your DEVICE in RECOVERY MODE (not titanium backup now), So that if you encounter problems flashing, you can just restore your device from recovery mode.

Oh, before I forget, it is always good to have a copy of an OFFICIAL ROM of your device on your computer,so if you mess up, you can flash the official rom back on your device via ODIN.
Re: Rooted Now What? by mindtricks: 2:38pm On May 16, 2013
donlyone:

When you flash a custom rom on your device, your sdcard files are not Erased, not even when you do a factory reset from RECOVERY MODE. However, your sdcard files are erased when you do a FACTORY RESET by using the Samsung HARD RESET CODE from your dial pad, also when you FORMAT your sd card from device SETTINGS.

To be on the safe side, you should copy the Titanium backup folder on your sdcard and a copy of the Titanium app to your computer. If you don't have a computer GET ONE. So if you lose your sdcard files, you will copy them back, install the Titanium backup app and restore your apps.

If you are flashing a Custom Rom on your device, don't forget to backup your DEVICE in RECOVERY MODE (not titanium backup now), So that if you encounter problems flashing, you can just restore your device from recovery mode.

Oh, before I forget, it is always good to have a copy of an OFFICIAL ROM of your device on your computer,so if you mess up, you can flash the official rom back on your device via ODIN.
A very nice one from the only one.
Re: Rooted Now What? by donlyone(m): 6:08pm On May 16, 2013
mindtricks: A very nice one from the only one.

Thank you, mindtricks.
Re: Rooted Now What? by Nobody: 6:20am On May 24, 2013
I'm in the same boat, OP. After several months of usage, I finally summoned up courage to root my SG3. . .now, just like you, I'm wondering what next! I've been hearing a lot about custom ROMs and kernels, but I'm a bit hesitant.

I'm more interested in enjoying those killer apps reserved for only rooted users, I'd like a comprehensive list of those. Keep the ideas flowing guys. I'm a complete 'noob' in these matters.
Re: Rooted Now What? by FKO1(m): 7:13am On May 24, 2013
ollah1: Just went through the process of rooting my samsung GS3, and wow the adrenaline is pumping now

So my question is: what now?

START PLANTING SEEDS
Re: Rooted Now What? by leslieu63(m): 7:35am On May 24, 2013
I just rooted my HTC amaze 4g and hacked my mtn sim for unlimited browsing, now what?
Re: Rooted Now What? by W3xy1(m): 8:36am On May 24, 2013
donlyone:

Tit backup will use phone memory, its worth it, let it be.

As for Avast, it has FIREWALL. I saw a forum and they recommended it for 'rooted' users because of the firewall feature.
thanks dude. i can now control my whatsapp from connecting to the internet with avast firewall
Re: Rooted Now What? by W3xy1(m): 8:37am On May 24, 2013
leslieu63: I just rooted my HTC amaze 4g and hacked my mtn sim for unlimited browsing, now what?
ask google or better still drop it inside the lagoon. what a childish question
Re: Rooted Now What? by leslieu63(m): 2:57pm On May 24, 2013
W3xy1: ask google or better still drop it inside the lagoon. what a childish question
bro dats not cool.

(1) (Reply)

My Android Keeping On Downloading And Install Apps Without My Knowledge? / I Need Tips On How A To Root A V4.2.2 ANDROID Phone. / Help, Etisalat Recharge Deductions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.