Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... (2237 Views)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? / What's The Meaning Of ''Emi Nado'' & From Which Language? / And To Which Language Do These Famous Naija Expressions Belong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... by omodapson(m): 9:19am On Apr 26, 2013
Many people get this wrong, and it leaves much to ponder. Nigeria being a multi-lingual state is often stuck between what a first language is and what it is not. I have seen many people argued that English is their first language, while their native language is regarded as second.

Please note that both First Language and Mother Tongue can be used interchangeably. Mother tongue and first language would refer to the language acquired as a child and which you are most fluent in. In a State that is as complex as Nigeria, would it be right to consider your ethnic language a second language even when you have a full grasp of it? I have seen Nigerians argue that their ethnic language is their second while English remains the first, though I am not too comfortable with this.

I want us to know that it is also possible to acquire more than one language as MT or FL.

It is hard to think really considering that these languages are learnt side by side and often acquired at the same time. Myself for instance, I speak both English and Yoruba and I can say I am fluent in both with English having a slight edge. Both are acquired same time through several means but if I were asked to state my FL, I would state both because of my level of proficiency in both.

Nairalanders, let's trash this out, would you consider your native/ethnic language your first language or second? Remember that English remains one of the official languages in Nigeria and also a unifying language. smiley
Re: Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... by ATMC(f): 9:48am On Apr 26, 2013
Igbo is my first language because dt was d first language i heard as a child...nne kedu? And i's raised with it. I learnt english in school.

1 Like

Re: Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... by VirginFinder: 2:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
English!

I was brought up with it.

I speak and write English with ease.
Re: Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 26, 2013
Patois. tongue
Born to a mother who speaks it.
I speak it fluently.
I write it fluently.
I lurv it long time!! grin grin
Re: Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... by Nobody: 11:46pm On Apr 26, 2013
omodapson: ..Please note that both First Language and Mother Tongue can be used interchangeably. Mother tongue and first language would refer to the language acquired as a child and which you are most fluent in..

in that case

patois is my mother tongue.
and english is my first language.
Re: Which Language Will You Refer To As Your First Language? Your Reasons Please ... by iceland1: 7:55pm On Apr 18, 2015
IDOMA is my first preferred language, I even speak it fluently than english, I can as well communicate with it in writting.

(1) (Reply)

History Of Kabba In Kogi State / Keep The Ibibio Language Alive ! / What Are The Consequences When A Married Woman Cheats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.